Haywire (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Looking forward to watch this tonight it looks like it has a good cast behind it.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I was also disappointed and agree with about all the criticism. Also some of the fight and running scenes looked very stage, forced and unnatural. Also disliked the soft color filtering. One scene would be orange, then next blue, the next green.......
post #33 of 38 Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I was also disappointed and agree with about all the criticism. Also some of the fight and running scenes looked very stage, forced and unnatural

I agree 100%.

Frank
post #34 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 558
I come to this thread very, very, late but can't resist commenting anyway. First, I agree with Ralph one-hundred percent that Haywire is a decent action thriller that has replay value. I proved this to myself because I saw the film in the theater and liked it. Just today, I watched it again on a BD that I had checked out from the public library and liked it even more. Gina Carano is a beautiful girl and a gifted athlete. Although she can't act much, the director Steven Soderbergh gets high marks for setting Carano's scenes up so that no untoward demands were made on her limited acting skills. Although the story is less than clear and very dark (some might say ugly) I got a real kick out of it. The many scenes featuring Carano's remarkable athletic ability were a joy to watch. Getting to see the film for the second time was a lot of fun. This time, I actually knew what was going on.

I agree with Ralph's assessment of the PQ and AQ, too. Although the film is not demonstration quality in either area, it looks and sounds excellent. Highly recommended! 8 Stars out of 10.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #35 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I come to this thread very, very, late but can't resist commenting anyway. First, I agree with Ralph one-hundred percent that Haywire is a decent action thriller that has replay value. I proved this to myself because I saw the film in the theater and liked it. Just today, I watched it again on a BD that I had checked out from the public library and liked it even more. Gina Carano is a beautiful girl and a gifted athlete. Although she can't act much, the director Steven Soderbergh gets high marks for setting Carano's scenes up so that no untoward demands were made on her limited acting skills. Although the story is less than clear and very dark (some might say ugly) I got a real kick out of it. The many scenes featuring Carano's remarkable athletic ability were a joy to watch. Getting to see the film for the second time was a lot of fun. This time, I actually knew what was going on.

I agree with Ralph's assessment of the PQ and AQ, too. Although the film is not demonstration quality in either area, it looks and sounds excellent. Highly recommended! 8 Stars out of 10.

Greetings,

Better late than never gwsat. wink.gif

I always appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #36 of 38 Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Vudu'd this last night having (somewhat) high hopes for it (the trailer looked really cool, I thought).

I realize I was tired, but a movie such as this doesn't normally put me to sleep. It didn't, but almost. And, then again, Soderbergh has always been hit-or-miss for me, so not really that surprised.

Maybe it was the infamous audio issues from LionsGate rental editions, but I was taken aback by how poorly the so-called "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1" came through. I'll take Ralph's word on his assessment of the Blu-ray lossless codec as he is always right, at least in my book, but I suspect people complaining on this thread also suffered from some (extremely) lossy sound representation via a rental. Once again, shame on you, LionsGate! Up until now, Vudu rentals had sounded really, really good on my HT system, and they're always lossy Dolby Digital.

As a movie, I was also taken aback by the actual stars' lack of starpower. Be it a directorial decision for the sake of Carano's credibility or something, but how can a supporting cast like this feel so....meh? Apart from Fassbender and (maybe) that Lancer kid, the rest felt utterly underused (and most likely way overpaid).

Back to Gina, well, what's not to like, especially once she does "wear the dress." I have to agree it was great watching her (and her fighting). She saves the movie--to a degree, that is. Despite her, Haywire is rather quite unmemorable IMHO.

It was great to have her in Fast & Furious 6 so we may be seeing more of her (mmmm...more of her!) in the near future... biggrin.gif
post #37 of 38 Old 02-26-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Vudu'd this last night having (somewhat) high hopes for it (the trailer looked really cool, I thought).

Back to Gina, well, what's not to like, especially once she does "wear the dress." I have to agree it was great watching her (and her fighting). She saves the movie--to a degree, that is. Despite her, Haywire is rather quite unmemorable IMHO.

It was great to have her in Fast & Furious 6 so we may be seeing more of her (mmmm...more of her!) in the near future... biggrin.gif

You'll actually see "less" of her since she had some of her curves surgically reduced since making Haywire. frown.gif
post #38 of 38 Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

You'll actually see "less" of her since she had some of her curves surgically reduced since making Haywire. frown.gif

Woah! Not sure I would've wanted to know that! eek.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Haywire Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Haywire by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page