Feature running time: 93 minutes
Genre: Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, English, Spanish
Starring: Gina Carano, Ewen McGregor, Michael Fassbender, Channing Tatum, Michael Douglas, Antonio Banderas, Bill Paxton
Directed by: Steven Soderbergh
Music by: David Holmes
Written by: Lem Dobbs
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 1, 2012

"They left her no choice"

Film Synopsis:

Haywire, directed by Oscar® winner Steven Soderbergh and written by Lem Dobbs, introduces mixed martial arts (MMA) superstar Gina Carano as Mallory Kane, a black-ops agent for a government security contractor. Mallory is a highly trained government operative who works in the dirtiest, most dangerous corners of the world. After successfully freeing a Chinese journalist who was being held hostage, she is double crossed and left for dead by someone close to her in her own agency. Instantly the target of skilled assassins who know her every move, Mallory must find the truth in order to stay alive. Using her black-ops military training, she devises an ingenious - and dangerous - trap. But when things go haywire, Mallory realizes she'll be killed in the blink of an eye unless she finds a way to turn the tables on her ruthless adversary.

My Take:

The first time I saw Gina Carano was on American Gladiator (she was named Crush) back in 2008. I was immediately taken with her good looks, physicality and ass kicking ability. I googled her and found that she was an accomplished MMA fighter which really didn't surprise me. Last year I saw the trailer for Haywire and was glad to see that she was putting her charisma and physical talents to work on the big screen. The trailer showed promise as did the cast but there wasn't enough interest to lure me out to the theater so I waited to see/review it on Blu-ray. Let me start off by saying that I liked Haywire. Director Steven Soderbergh's signature style direction is all over it which depending on your point of view can be as much a hindrance as a benefit. Writer Lem Dobbs' script is nothing special and features a story of assassins, betrayal and revenge. There is a lot of covert cloudiness and technical jargon tossed in but the truth is the excess of subtext isn't satisfactorily sorted out and the underdevelopment of the characters, save for Mallory, never provides an opportunity to truly care what happens to them. I found this to be particularly problematic in the case of bad guy/betrayer and the potential ally/boyfriend (sorry no names). There are aspects of the story that make little sense, like the events following the opening sequence which takes place in the diner. The first and second acts are told via flashbacks as Mallory recounts the specific details of what happened to her to a twenty something kid she just met in a diner in upstate NY. I kept wondering the reason for that only to be disappointed. I won't even go into the inept depiction of the New York State Police (Mallory referred to them as Deputies, Really?). Sorry, I had to mention that.

At various points throughout Haywire I found myself wondering where is this leading? I didn't get all of the answers and those that came either had weak foundation or did little to build intrigue. I felt that the explanation for the betrayal, which the plot hinges on, just didn't hold water and came off as a bit lame. So why do I like Haywire? It's simple, Gina Carano. She isn't much of an actress but she has a commanding presence, inherent charisma and the chops to easily pull off an action/thriller. The film is clearly meant to showcase her physical/martial arts abilities and does so successfully. There is plenty of slickly executed action and as the primary character she is well drawn and effectively carries the movie. Mallory/Gina had the potential to be more than the straight forward redemption seeking bone cracker depicted. I would have preferred deeper mystique with an edgy femme fatale framework enhanced by the explosively dangerous physical prowess she displayed. Oh well, maybe next time. For now Haywire works even at a base level and makes for an entertaining action/thriller that has decent replay value even if just to watch Gina Carano kick lots of tail.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Haywire comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

Lighting schemes are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the mood of the scene and characters within it. The chroma range isn't diverse but hues can vary from being sullen and inanimate to warm and inviting. Skin tones are appropriately bland with natural highlights and descriptive variation. Images onscreen are exquisitely detailed and sharp with superb depth of field and visible texture during wide angle shots. Contrast is spot on and blacks are deep with revealing delineation that provides excellent perceptibility during scenes shot at night or in lower lighting. The video has a clean, pristine quality that enhanced dimensionality and provided a looking through a window effect.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a nice job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that where appropriate engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn't extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field. The extended fight sequences are empowered by near field sound effects, robust dynamics and room energizing low frequencies.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Gina Carano in training - 16 minute production featurette

• (HD) The men of Haywire - 5 minute featurette

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Haywire is a decent action/thriller that with a better developed storyline and secondary characters could have been a great one, especially in the hands of director Steven Soderbergh. Luckily star Gina Carano makes up for its shortcomings with a solid performance that showcases her mixed martial arts prowess, eye catching good looks and effecting onscreen charisma. Haywire comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate featuring excellent high definition audio/video quality and a middling supplemental offering that is highlighted by a feature on Carano. If you're an action/espionage film fan Haywire on Blu-ray is worth dropping in your rental queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I saw this flick in the theater and was sorely disappointed. You would think with an all-star cast it would be interesting and a real winner but the actors were wasted in insignificant parts. Soderbergh is not an action director. I have liked a few of his movies but generally find them lacking and this was no exception.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #3 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was very disappointed in this movie. I'm surprised that there was no mention of Gina Carano’s voice being dubbed in this movie.
post #4 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
NF delivered today .. looking forward to watching, thanks Ralph

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I contemplated buying this one but opted out and now have my Netflix copy here at home and will watch it tonight.

Bob

post #6 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Got it from Rbx will watch it tonight..
post #7 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 152
I was looking forward to this one but Ralph's review (which I always respect immensely) has disenchanted me. I'm going to pass.
post #8 of 38 Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I agree with the poster above about respecting and trusting Ralph's review. But I'm not going to kid myself, I'm going to watch it anyway, but not for the story line or the acting, I'm going to watch it for it's aesthetics quality
post #9 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
yep - this one I'm going to watch - may not buy though.
post #10 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 07:13 AM

The chase scenes were painfully slowwwwwwwwww....the camera work was horrible. The premises were horrible. You didn't know what was going on until she got some guy to confess the entire story.
Sorry...very few movies get a big thumbs down, it was a waste of my viewing time and I usually enjoy action movies, even the half brain dead ones, but this was terrible
post #11 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I generally don't care for SS movies but actually liked this one. It could have been better but agree with Ralph's 3.5 stars for the film. However, Ralph and I will have to disagree on the audio. I found it quite lacking especially for a modern film. There was absolutely no surround activity even in the action scenes and the dialog sounded bizarre almost muffled. Decent movie, below average AQ, IMO.
post #12 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Hard to follow / hard to relate to characters / confusing

However, some great fight scenes / some very good LFE here and there ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
After seeing the trailer a few months back, I had really high hopes for this movie, but based on Ralph's review and member comments here, I'll definitely rent or borrow before buying.

Thanks for taking the time to review it for us, Ralph!

oz
post #14 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by auero View Post

I'm surprised that there was no mention of Gina Carano's voice being dubbed in this movie.

They altered her voice, but it is still her. Below is a quote from SS:

"That's not really her speaking voice. We spent a lot of time in post working really hard on her voice, and we used every trick imaginable that's used on records today in the editing, in the pitch. We combined five different readings in one sentence. We wanted her to sound different not like Gina, but like her character, Mallory Kane. So that took a lot of work, and we worked really hard on it. That was the point of it. Everyone under the age of 30 is terrified of Gina, but Mallory is someone new."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyee View Post

The chase scenes were painfully slowwwwwwwwww....the camera work was horrible. The premises were horrible.

Finally we get an action movie where you can actually see what is going on, and people complain about that too.

As you can probably tell, I enjoyed 'Haywire' a lot. The plot may not be perfect, but the acting is solid, and the action scenes are fantastic. It has some of the most authentic action I've seen in a Hollywood film.

I hope Carano does well as an actress. She is pretty, and believable in roles like these.
post #15 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought this was somewhat of a mediocre movie. Yes it had some good parts on it but majority was just disappointing. The action scene at the house i thought was a gag reel.

One viewing is enough for me.
post #16 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Watched it last night. It is not a bad movie, but Ralph's final thoughts are pretty much on the money. One has to pay attention or the plot get quickly convoluted. Some scenes can be rather long (Drive comes to mind). Overall OK rental, but not a buy for me.
post #17 of 38 Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I love action flicks, but I thought this was horrible. Given the stars in the movie I was surprised at how bad it really was. What was up with the cheezy music all the time?
post #18 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
How could this be a theatrical release is beyond me. Asylum Studios makes a better movie than this. Audio was crappy. Video is good. For the film, I wasted 2 hours of my life.
post #19 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It's movies like this that make me think that something is wrong with my system. I read a movie review and hear that the SQ is great, but when I watch the movie myself, the SQ is just terrible. Everything to me sounded weak with very few scenes where it kicked a bit, but not enough for me to continue watching it and eventually turned it off. I immediately rush to this site to read what everyone else is saying and glad some agree with the SQ.
post #20 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I saw this movie last week.

I notice it keep showing this gal running n running and more running. I keep saying "run baby run".

Then this cam that is the car.

Action was not that great.
post #21 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I rented this from redbox last night. I enjoyed the fight scenes a lot. Since I watch MMA it was great to see Gina's muay thai come through. Overal the movie was pretty good but really the only draw for me was Gina Carano!!

I do agree with the weak AQ.
post #22 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I remember her from Gladiators as well and she was by far my favorite, even above the men but not for the obvious reasons. Even then, she had a straight to business, get it done attitude that no one else had. It was like she wasn't into the "tv show" aspect at all. Later came the "a-ha" moment when I realized she was an MMA talent.

What I'm curious about is the flat entertainment value of the film. Sometimes I just need a shallow distraction for a couple of hours like a Segal or Statham flick. How does this compare?

I'm also curious if Carano might be the next (or first bonafide female) action star?
post #23 of 38 Old 05-03-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

What I'm curious about is the flat entertainment value of the film. Sometimes I just need a shallow distraction for a couple of hours like a Segal or Statham flick. How does this compare?

It's not really so bad, I was entertained just watching her kick ass. And she can act too.

Quote:

I'm also curious if Carano might be the next (or first bonafide female) action star?

I'd say so, if she can get a few breaks. She's off to a great start.
post #24 of 38 Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

I thought the action fight scenes were done very well, but the rest of the movie was a definite "snoozefest" overall. This flick could've been so much better with more story and character development...
post #25 of 38 Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Finally we get an action movie where you can actually see what is going on, and people complain about that too.

I just remember how painful it was watching that scene where she had the tracker in her backpack and it was running....then more running...then more running... Camera angles were terrible though...even they had problems following the 30sec cut rule w/ all that running...and running.... :-P

The actual fight scenes weren't bad though not quite realistic enough w/ face damage during the fighting (hitting face against bar, into glass shelving does zero scars???)

And I agree the sound was terrible...too soft spoken too much of the time. I was muttering the sound guy should be smacked half the time...

Like I said, I like action movies usually...even stuff w/ plots...but this was just yuck. I'm glad I didn't watch it in the theatres...
post #26 of 38 Old 05-04-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 74
When we saw the movie in theaters, it seemed more like a "genre exercise" for SS. Not necessarily a literal action movie...but an action movie filtered through an "art house filter". I liked it overall, but didn't love it.

I did really enjoy the 16 min extra about the training she went through. I really appreciated the film a lot more knowing that Fassbender didn't use a stunt double. They padded him a lot in area's below the shoulders, so he was able to take her actual punches (not at 100%, but definetly contact). I plan to watch the other extra's to maybe lend a higher appreciation for the film.
post #27 of 38 Old 05-07-2012, 07:50 AM

Story aside, the action scenes were kick ass, well worth it just for that.
post #28 of 38 Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
0 character development....a sub par plot and IMO weak action scenes makes for a very bland movie. It was not horrible but just not very good at all. It looks like it belongs on TNT or TBS as a late after midnite movie.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #29 of 38 Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Watching it now. This chick is a pretty bad actress.

Kaboom.
post #30 of 38 Old 05-24-2012, 06:13 PM

Liked: 16
+2 i agree hard to follow the story line.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Save you money on some thing else. LionGate = b movies :/
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Haywire Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Haywire by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page