Underworld: Awakening 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 47 Old 05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Watched the 2D disc today. Terrific 7.1 audio although the LFE was a bit over-done. Video is excellent quality although severely teal. Teal-haters will want to avoid this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 05-09-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Video is excellent quality although severely teal. Teal-haters will want to avoid this one.

The entire series has a cold blue look to it. Not the teal/orange that is talked about in other films.
post #33 of 47 Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Watched this last night, excellent 3D, CGI & Audio... a showcase disc for 3D imho.
post #34 of 47 Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I watched the 2D and the 7.1 audio was one of the best I have experienced. My Buttkickers were fully utilized, especially from the roars and footsteps of the Lycan on roids.

Did anyone notice an audio pop noise during the scene between the lead scientist and the woman scientist who took care of subject # 2 just before the woman scientist died at the hands of the Lycan on roids? I want to see if I may have a defective copy.

Still Learning
post #35 of 47 Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just compared discs and the difference is indeed incredible. I went straight to the Underworld Awakening title screen and the black bars blend in perfectly with the background. On the 3D disc you see the black bars clearly because the background is a dark blue. I skipped around to various scenes and the 2D disc looks perfect, just how I remember it in theaters (I saw it 4 times so I remember clearly). The 2D copy also looks a little sharper. I look forward to watching this tomorrow because this is how it truly should look. I have no clue what Sony was thinking, they really washed out the 2D movie on the 3D disc. I implore people to rent the disc at Red Box and see for yourself how much better the movie looks. It's amazing!
post #36 of 47 Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

I just compared discs and the difference is indeed incredible. I went straight to the Underworld Awakening title screen and the black bars blends in perfectly with the background. On the 3D disc you see the black bars clearly because the background is a dark blue. I skipped around to various scenes and the 2D disc looks perfect, just how I remember it in theaters (I saw it 4 times so I remember clearly). The 2D copy also looks a little sharper. I look forward to watching this tomorrow because this is how it truly should look. I have no clue what Sony was thinking, they really washed out the 2D movie on the 3D disc. I implore people to rent the disc at Red Box and see for yoyrself how much better the movie looks. It's amazing!

Thanks for that Urlacher5454 I'm glad I'm getting the 2D version.

Frank

post #37 of 47 Old 05-11-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

I just compared discs and the difference is indeed incredible. I went straight to the Underworld Awakening title screen and the black bars blends in perfectly with the background. On the 3D disc you see the black bars clearly because the background is a dark blue. I skipped around to various scenes and the 2D disc looks perfect, just how I remember it in theaters (I saw it 4 times so I remember clearly). The 2D copy also looks a little sharper. I look forward to watching this tomorrow because this is how it truly should look. I have no clue what Sony was thinking, they really washed out the 2D movie on the 3D disc. I implore people to rent the disc at Red Box and see for yoyrself how much better the movie looks. It's amazing!

All this is actually pretty typical for 3D presentations. Brightness is boosted to the max for 3D. Since this movie has boosted blue/cyan levels to begin with, a brightness boost will reveal the blue cast in the blacks.

If they don't boost levels, the 3D version will be too dark.
post #38 of 47 Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I watched the 2D and the 7.1 audio was one of the best I have experienced. My Buttkickers were fully utilized, especially from the roars and footsteps of the Lycan on roids.

Did anyone notice an audio pop noise during the scene ...removed spoiler...? I want to see if I may have a defective copy.

Thank you so much for the spoiler!!!

Remember, not everyone looking through these threads has seen the movie yet. I'm only half way through, due to having to work today. What I have seen, looks and sounds great. For a dark film, the 3D is stellar.
post #39 of 47 Old 05-12-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Remember, not everyone looking through these threads has seen the movie yet. I'm only half way through, due to having to work today. What I have seen, looks and sounds great. For a dark film, the 3D is stellar.

To be fair they showed it during the trailers and tv spots, it's not like it's a huge surprise.
post #40 of 47 Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I thought a spoiler would be something that gave away the entire film, like in a mystery and you gave away the answer of who done it? But in an action flick where insignificant characters are guaranteed to die, just enjoy the great action and sound.

So please do let me know, when you get to the scene if you hear an audio pop.

Edit: This only pertains to the 2D disc.

Still Learning
post #41 of 47 Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

I thought a spoiler would be something that gave away the entire film, like in a mystery and you gave away the answer of who done it? But in an action flick where insignificant characters are guaranteed to die, just enjoy the great action and sound.

So please do let me know, when you get to the scene if you hear an audio pop.

Edit: This only pertains to the 2D disc.

PM me with the scene you're talking about and I'll check my copy.
post #42 of 47 Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Then you should grab this on tuesday as 2D and the sound combine for a score of 95 out of 100. Enjoy!

NICE, Can't wait to see it! It is next on my netflix list.

Cheers!

Twitter @ Clefoodandbrews

post #43 of 47 Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I almost went with the 3D version but opted for the 2D release instead. However, I do agree that the audio track is quite aggressive, and the bass presented is indeed commanding. I don't regret buying this movie and may check out the 3D version when the price has dropped a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to review this for us, Lee!

oz
post #44 of 47 Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

Ahh I thought this one had very cheesy cgi. From her porcelain skin, to the early 2000s style animation of the werewolves. This film is Nlno where near the new bond interest of audio mixing, effects, and dynamics. Color me disappointed that it recieved a 90+ score

Same here.
post #45 of 47 Old 05-20-2012, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

My 3D rental copy is coming...

Hopefully soon I'd like to see two 2D and 3D BR movies review to be separated into two categories for easy look up.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #46 of 47 Old 05-29-2012, 06:10 PM
jp9

I noticed that with this disc playing in DTS MA 7.1, if I paused then resumed playback I heard a loud pop. I checked one other DTS MA 7.1 disc I had, and it did not do this. I do not recall ever hearing this before.

Can someone else try this and confirm if they hear a similar loud pop?
post #47 of 47 Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp9 View Post

I noticed that with this disc playing in DTS MA 7.1, if I paused then resumed playback I heard a loud pop. I checked one other DTS MA 7.1 disc I had, and it did not do this. I do not recall ever hearing this before.

Can someone else try this and confirm if they hear a similar loud pop?

That'll come down to an issue with your decoder and 7.1 DTS. Whether it's your player or AVR decoding, IOW it's not a disc problem.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Underworld Awakening Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray 3d , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page