The Grey (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 82 Old 05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Watched this on iTunes last night and enjoyed it--but not as much as I thought I would--glad it was only a rental for me. Yes I know it is only a movie but still, the way they portrayed the wolves seemed a bit silly--almost like werewolves--and the plane crash--why did everyone think no one would look for them? It seemed to be a pretty big jet and would seem they would know exactly where it went down and be there pretty quick before any wolves would even get to them--so some of that stuff was annoying to me--but I enjoyed the movie.

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 82 Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
^^^Soundtrack impressions?
post #33 of 82 Old 05-18-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
The plane crash scene was some incredible LFE / SQ .. maybe the best scene of it's type I've encountered .. especially the SQ ..

Otherwise, some pretty good wolf growling / snarling .. pretty good surround envelope at times ..

Overall, a good film from the plot / PQ and SQ .. well worth a rental but I won't buy it .. not much in the way of repeat viewing ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #34 of 82 Old 05-18-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Watched this on iTunes last night and enjoyed it--but not as much as I thought I would--glad it was only a rental for me. Yes I know it is only a movie but still, the way they portrayed the wolves seemed a bit silly--almost like werewolves--and the plane crash--why did everyone think no one would look for them? It seemed to be a pretty big jet and would seem they would know exactly where it went down and be there pretty quick before any wolves would even get to them--so some of that stuff was annoying to me--but I enjoyed the movie.

Maybe I'm giving the movie too much credit, but I walked away thinking it was much more than man vs nature. I felt its main theme was how people deal with death. Yes the wolves were more like werewolfs, but were they representing death taking you to the next place? Was everyone already dead, and in some kind of purgatory???? Again, maybe I'm over thinking it, but I can't wait to watch this again.
post #35 of 82 Old 05-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Was everyone already dead, and in some kind of purgatory???? Again, maybe I'm over thinking it, but I can't wait to watch this again.

That thought never occurred to me but I like it

Bill
post #36 of 82 Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfattbill View Post

That thought never occurred to me but I like it

Bill

Thanks. Think about it...

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
He considered taking his own life at one point. The ultimate sin if you believe that type of stuff. "Live and die on this day"??? He must live again by fighting, or at least not surrendering to, the alpha wolf (death???) By his refusing to give up, he's choosing to live again, and then and only then can he die?..
post #37 of 82 Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

^^^Soundtrack impressions?

I guess you mean iTunes audio--and I am happy with the the sound via ATV to my Marantz. Sure, it is not lossless but I am finding that I get movies from iTunes a lot more now--easy and convenient and the video quality is quite good--even with my ATV2. Side by side I'm sure lossless would be an easy win but I would not be surprised if I start picking up fewer blu rays and relying more on rentals or even purchases through iTunes.

I found the audio from The Grey to be very nice appropriate but certainly not overpowering. Lots of good LFE delivered to my PC-13 too.

Bob

post #38 of 82 Old 05-20-2012, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

The discussion regarding the factual basis surrounding the film's depiction of wolves isn't relevant to this review thread. Please move on.

Regards,

Sorry Ralph, but I have to disagree, I think it's totally relevant to the film. This is supposed to be a "survivor" film, and I think it's only fair for the producer(s) and director to treat it as such, since that's the way they portrayed it.

For example, in Cujo, it explained why the animal didn't act normally, due to rabies. In this film, everything is portrayed to be normal, which obviously isn't.

I think it's fair to discuss/disagree with aspects of a film, even in a Blu-Ray review forum.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #39 of 82 Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Sorry Ralph, but I have to disagree, I think it's totally relevant to the film. This is supposed to be a "survivor" film, and I think it's only fair for the producer(s) and director to treat it as such, since that's the way they portrayed it.

For example, in Cujo, it explained why the animal didn't act normally, due to rabies. In this film, everything is portrayed to be normal, which obviously isn't.

I think it's fair to discuss/disagree with aspects of a film, even in a Blu-Ray review forum.

You wanna discuss that? Go to the dvd film concer section . Debate going on there

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #40 of 82 Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

You wanna discuss that? Go to the dvd film concer section . Debate going on there

Thanks for that reminder, haven't been to that part of the forum in a while, since I normally wait until it's released on Blu-Ray. Still wonder why it's censored here, but not there, as usually that's not the case.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #41 of 82 Old 05-21-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by taz291819 View Post

Thanks for that reminder, haven't been to that part of the forum in a while, since I normally wait until it's released on Blu-Ray. Still wonder why it's censored here, but not there, as usually that's not the case.

Greetings,

taz, I have no problem with some discusssion of aspects of the film itself especially if it is integrated into points that pertain to the review. The problem is when it begins to overshadow the thread's topic which really is about the film as well as the technical aspects of the Blu-ray.

I would say that censored is a strong word, reminder is probably better.

Thanks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #42 of 82 Old 05-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Thanks. Think about it...

Spoiler  
He considered taking his own life at one point. The ultimate sin if you believe that type of stuff. "Live and die on this day"??? He must live again by fighting, or at least not surrendering to, the alpha wolf (death???) By his refusing to give up, he's choosing to live again, and then and only then can he die?..

It makes sense and the next time through I will watch the movie from that POV.

Bill
post #43 of 82 Old 05-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Overall I give this film average marks.

The positives:

- Somewhat unusual story line;
- Great scenery;
- Fast but not too fast pacing;
- Acting quality ok;
- Not as gory as I anticipated

The negatives:

- Assumes wolves automatically view humans as a quick & easy food source, which is
usually not the case;
- It's unbelievable to assume that if these wolves are truly as bloodthirsty as the filmakers
portray them, that they would have waited so long to devour the crash survivors; the
wolves could have made mincemeat out of them immediately after the crash since
everyone was in a state of shock and had no weapons with which to defend themselves.
But that means the film would have ended after 20 minutes, right?

If I had taken a purely escapist view towards this film when I sat down to watch it, I would have been a much better experience; as it was I couldn't overcome the feeling that the last 1hr & 40 min. were superfluous even though I liked the film on another level because of the positives listed above.

And, oh yes, the ending? Perfectly open-ended for setting up a sequel.
post #44 of 82 Old 05-23-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 11
Great f movie.
post #45 of 82 Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeb View Post

Some wildlife lovers are a bit upset over how wolves are portrayed in this film, insisting that wolves just don't behave that way. Probably so, but it won't stop me from enjoying it. Definitely on my must own list.

Clearly these people have never seen Dances with Wolves, where in fact we find that wolves are actually fun, friendly, fluffy pets. It just takes some dried jerky and a little patience.

The Grey was a great movie in my opinion. What struck me was that I went to see a movie about Liam Neeson kicking some butt and taking some names and was surprised to get a much deeper, touching story. I like the spiritual part of it as well, the struggle there is interesting.
post #46 of 82 Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM

Liked: 16
I m renting this one this week. Okay movie buffs,will you say this is a buy or rental?
post #47 of 82 Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

I m renting this one this week. Okay movie buffs,will you say this is a buy or rental?

I bought it. Love Neesen, and thought the movie was good
post #48 of 82 Old 05-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Yes, educate yourself. Although extremely rare, it has happened, as recently as last winter: http://www.adn.com/2011/12/06/220561...es-killed.html

I have not seen the movie, but this happened close to home (interior Alaska), so I thought to enlighten the discussion.
post #49 of 82 Old 05-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong67 View Post

What about TC in MI4 hanging n flying from tall building? Is that believeable or far fetched?

Hi Chong67, if you care to check the extras on MI4, Tom Cruise did go out and sort of 'flew' around the real building on site
post #50 of 82 Old 05-29-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

I am one who buys on the basis of repeat viewing potential, or at least I go after blus that promise some killer element to the soundtrack, most notably LFE! But could be audio realism, presence, general bombast to show off my system. Bought a number of low-repeat-potential blus lately (wasn't trying to!), on things said mostly herein about the soundtrack -- great LFE, sounds like the real thing, blah blah blah -- that sort of hype.

Latest: RED TAILS -- someone said replicated the experience of air combat with the sound of plane engines, bullets whizzing through the air. Left ALOT to be desired, I can tell you. Got THE DIVIDE on the basis of omnipresent LFE. An oozing pustule of a movie, which someone had said was realistic in terms of humans facing survival. That notion thrown out the window in the first ten minutes when one of the main characters has an overreaction and bad histrionics over some issue and it went way way downhill almost immediately from there. Also too, the LFE turned out to be some never integrated very low frequencies, beyond useful purpose, which just provided some rather annoying constant WOWWA WOWWA at the edges of perceptibility, so a bust there.

I'd almost concluded I shouldn't ever trust what someone else writes, but bought THE GREY anyway. I don't think there was a false note in it. The dialogue is among the best I can summon to recollect -- not forced, not overly dramatic, just real. When a character gets a out of line, he is brought back in line in a very believable way -- not overboard, out-of-control overacted, etc. This is the survival movie to see -- stay clear of THE DIVIDE -- if you ever get captured by enemy agents and are tortured into and by watching that one, you will remember I tried to do you a service -- but back to THE GREY:

Someone here said "immersive" about the soundtrack, that is the main reason I purchased -- but in this case, it was exactly correct! This soundtrack is the real deal. Large scale -- 360 degrees -- you in the action, you in the blizzard and plane crash that got them there. It is intense and -- my God! Why can't all soundtracks sound this way? This is the track template: REALITY! The LFE present almost is not distinguishable as such -- sounds like it is part of the rest of the sound -- like the way massive wind gusts dominate your hearing when directly in your ear -- SWWEEEEEEET!

No regret purchase for me! (and do remember what I said about THE DIVIDE)...
post #51 of 82 Old 05-29-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I am currently watching this film via Vudu / 1080P and I am really enjoying the soundtrack. It almost becomes a character in the movie as it surrounds you and puts you right in the middle of the action. May consider a purchase for the Blu Ray library once it's done.

Thanks for the great review and so far I'd have to agree with the video and audio ratings.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Paradigm Signature 1.5 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #52 of 82 Old 06-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Bought it and viewed it last night... but it didn't take long to realize that I should have only rented, or borrowed it! Oh well...

oz
post #53 of 82 Old 06-02-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

I am one who buys on the basis of repeat viewing potential, or at least I go after blus that promise some killer element to the soundtrack, most notably LFE! But could be audio realism, presence, general bombast to show off my system. Bought a number of low-repeat-potential blus lately (wasn't trying to!), on things said mostly herein about the soundtrack -- great LFE, sounds like the real thing, blah blah blah -- that sort of hype.

Latest: RED TAILS -- someone said replicated the experience of air combat with the sound of plane engines, bullets whizzing through the air. Left ALOT to be desired, I can tell you. Got THE DIVIDE on the basis of omnipresent LFE. An oozing pustule of a movie, which someone had said was realistic in terms of humans facing survival. That notion thrown out the window in the first ten minutes when one of the main characters has an overreaction and bad histrionics over some issue and it went way way downhill almost immediately from there. Also too, the LFE turned out to be some never integrated very low frequencies, beyond useful purpose, which just provided some rather annoying constant WOWWA WOWWA at the edges of perceptibility, so a bust there.

I'd almost concluded I shouldn't ever trust what someone else writes, but bought THE GREY anyway. I don't think there was a false note in it. The dialogue is among the best I can summon to recollect -- not forced, not overly dramatic, just real. When a character gets a out of line, he is brought back in line in a very believable way -- not overboard, out-of-control overacted, etc. This is the survival movie to see -- stay clear of THE DIVIDE -- if you ever get captured by enemy agents and are tortured into and by watching that one, you will remember I tried to do you a service -- but back to THE GREY:

Someone here said "immersive" about the soundtrack, that is the main reason I purchased -- but in this case, it was exactly correct! This soundtrack is the real deal. Large scale -- 360 degrees -- you in the action, you in the blizzard and plane crash that got them there. It is intense and -- my God! Why can't all soundtracks sound this way? This is the track template: REALITY! The LFE present almost is not distinguishable as such -- sounds like it is part of the rest of the sound -- like the way massive wind gusts dominate your hearing when directly in your ear -- SWWEEEEEEET!

No regret purchase for me! (and do remember what I said about THE DIVIDE)...

If you'll recall, I was the 1 who told you about the LFE in The Divide. It was present alot of the time as you found out, but also as you'll recall I had warned you that even though I'm a bass head, like it sounds like you are as well, that too much bass, especially when there's nothing happening to warrant having all that bass, can get really REALLY annoying. Like it did in The Divide. So my info on that was not a bust at all. You found it to be exactly as I warned you about. Which was why I was somewhat surprised you said you'd buy it just for the bass.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #54 of 82 Old 06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure what the reviewer was smoking? But a 4.5 star?
This movie has way too many serious flaws and I'm not even sure where to begin.
Worst Liam Neeson movie I've yet seen.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune: SRI , CBE

post #55 of 82 Old 06-03-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

If you'll recall, I was the 1 who told you about the LFE in The Divide. It was present alot of the time as you found out, but also as you'll recall I had warned you that even though I'm a bass head, like it sounds like you are as well, that too much bass, especially when there's nothing happening to warrant having all that bass, can get really REALLY annoying. Like it did in The Divide. So my info on that was not a bust at all. You found it to be exactly as I warned you about. Which was why I was somewhat surprised you said you'd buy it just for the bass.

Well, you were right. Hard to know who's opinion to trust. I know what I AM looking for with a soundtrack, but does not line up consistantly with reviews I read. Anyway, after that bad track record of late -- quite a few purchased I could do without, I joined REDBOX and will now screen my movies for possible purchase.

BTW, I love the presence of bass -- gushing, overwhelming loads of bass, in soundtrack, score, sound effects -- almost any excuse works for me -- footsteps, heavy bass music, door slams, gunshots, eerie horror movie presence, etc. My problem with THE DIVIDE was not only that it was a festering canker of a movie, it was that the bass had a repetitive sameness in the lowest registers, so that there was nothing interesting or impressive with it. It did not integrate or belong with the rest of the track, so was fairly useless.

But you were right. THE GREY was my kind of soundtrack -- up close and personal. Saw another today that had that same quality -- RAMPART -- put you there, in the action, close, 360 degrees -- filled the speakers and room. What I'm looking for. I had rented it, but it will be on my watchlist for a low price on just the soundtrack alone (may not want to rewatch all that often, but it has that too-rare recording quality...)
post #56 of 82 Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Sorry you felt that way. I had nothing but greatest respect for, and joy in watching this movie. One of the best LN movies I have seen to date. I hope you are aware that this only appears to be a movie about an ongoing wildlife threat. It has deeper layers, and was smart and realistically written and played. But of course what brings greatest joy is the soundtrack. For the Liam Neeson movies I have seen, only BATMAN BEGINS gave similar joy, but this is fresher, more immediate.
post #57 of 82 Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho View Post

Greetings,

Sorry you didn't like The Grey. As for opinions, as you can see they can be purely subjective. One man's meat is another's poison and so forth. My advice would be to simply state yours without disparaging those of others since the question of right or wrong really has little bearing.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #58 of 82 Old 06-07-2012, 07:53 AM

I look forward to checking this film out. This as well as may other films are formulaic. It's how the formula is interpreted that can make or break it for viewers. Outlandishly styled and mannered CGI wolves to me sound like a turn-off, but the story, music and acting could carry the film.
post #59 of 82 Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Great story they really kept it real! The sound track was masterfully done and really shows off true dynamic range tossing the room itself around you, I'm not sure why movies that have the most impressive audio score less than 100 for audio, don't get me wrong I'm a bass freak like the next guy but this film like Ghost Protocol has raised the bar as far as the sound mix as a whole with a few make you jump out of your seat moments!
post #60 of 82 Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
We watched this last night via a Netflix rental. I really enjoyed this movie as well and will be buying it. I thought the PQ and AQ was great to the point where it really gave me the sense of being freezing cold in my own room. IMO, Ralph’s review is spot on! Thanks for another fine review, Ralph!!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Grey Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page