post #61 of 82 Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

We watched this last night via a Netflix rental. I really enjoyed this movie as well and will be buying it. I thought the PQ and AQ was great to the point where it really gave me the sense of being freezing cold in my own room. IMO, Ralph’s review is spot on! Thanks for another fine review, Ralph!!

Greetings,

You're very welcome. Glad you enjoyed The Grey..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 06-13-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Holy crap!
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The plane crash scene was awesome! A new demo for my HT!

Kaboom.
post #63 of 82 Old 06-14-2012, 08:11 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Im hoping to watch this next week.

Frank
post #64 of 82 Old 06-14-2012, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK rent, definitively not a buy for me. Can't imagine watching it second time. Try this movie instead (also has wolves, snow, survival).wink.gif
post #65 of 82 Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I bought it just for the plane scene as a demo.

Kaboom.
post #66 of 82 Old 06-14-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I bought it just for the plane scene as a demo.

Greetings,

Ahh..gotta love those discs reserved just for demo material. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #67 of 82 Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 AM

Wife & I just watched this tonight (first real movie we've sat down to watch since I installed Aura Pro's in the sofa).

Plane scene was awesome! Shook the heck out of the sofa, I felt like we were in the plane! PQ & SQ were top notch in this film, very impressed.

We give the movie itself a thumbs down though, I just wasn't buying it. Here's why.....
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
After the plane crash and the first couple wolf attacks it started to go down hill. We just weren't buying it anymore. It was a fun movie, but I feel like I was set up to take it serious and it just started to get silly. I can see a wolf attack or 2 if provoked, but for this pack of wolfs to track this group over the course of a few days and a good distance and systematically eliminate them one by one was tough for me to swallow.
post #68 of 82 Old 06-16-2012, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 98
This was a dreadful movie to watch.
post #69 of 82 Old 06-16-2012, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc_connor View Post

Wife & I just watched this tonight (first real movie we've sat down to watch since I installed Aura Pro's in the sofa).
Plane scene was awesome! Shook the heck out of the sofa, I felt like we were in the plane! PQ & SQ were top notch in this film, very impressed.
We give the movie itself a thumbs down though, I just wasn't buying it. Here's why..... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
After the plane crash and the first couple wolf attacks it started to go down hill. We just weren't buying it anymore. It was a fun movie, but I feel like I was set up to take it serious and it just started to get silly. I can see a wolf attack or 2 if provoked, but for this pack of wolfs to track this group over the course of a few days and a good distance and systematically eliminate them one by one was tough for me to swallow.
Well, I'll repeat my earlier voiced impression vis a vis your spoiler tag: this was not a movie about an ongoing wildlife threat. It must be viewed something along these lines: the wolves were at my door, do I continue to fight the good fight, or concede defeat here and now? I viewed it as almost pure allegory.
post #70 of 82 Old 06-16-2012, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the review and I really enjoyed this film.

In regards to the wolves being aggressive, nobody seems to remember that this behavior was explained early in the film, shortly after the plane crashed. Liam's character tells the others that wolves are territorial, and that they will become aggressive when an animal (or human) is within a certain distance of their den. He gives a specific radius of distance, but I don't remember exactly what it was. In any case, it turns out that they were moving towards the den as they travelled, which explains why more wolves appeared and why they became more aggressive. I didn't really want to steer the topic back in this direction, but I read too many comments in this thread about how the wolves' behavior was unrealistic, or unexplained. I hope this helps clear that up a bit.

On a different note, I agree with some other posters here that the film was much deeper than a survival story. It is very existential in its theme, and provides the opportunity for quite a bit of reflection and discussion, if you give it that opportunity. I contend that it is closer to an art house film than a mainstream Hollywood movie, but Liam Neeson's presence gave it more commercial appeal and so a lot of people hoping for "Taken" meets "The Edge" were disappointed.

Media Room
Mitsubishi HC6800 1080P Projector with Darbee Darblet Video Processor
106" Da-Lite 90271V Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision Screen
Denon AVR-2809CI
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Player
Energy v6.2 Towers / Energy v5.2 Center / Boston Acoustics HS50 surrounds / Klipsch RW-12D Sub
post #71 of 82 Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikool View Post

Thanks for the review and I really enjoyed this film.
In regards to the wolves being aggressive, nobody seems to remember that this behavior was explained early in the film, shortly after the plane crashed. Liam's character tells the others that wolves are territorial, and that they will become aggressive when an animal (or human) is within a certain distance of their den. He gives a specific radius of distance, but I don't remember exactly what it was. In any case, it turns out that they were moving towards the den as they travelled, which explains why more wolves appeared and why they became more aggressive. I didn't really want to steer the topic back in this direction, but I read too many comments in this thread about how the wolves' behavior was unrealistic, or unexplained. I hope this helps clear that up a bit.
On a different note, I agree with some other posters here that the film was much deeper than a survival story. It is very existential in its theme, and provides the opportunity for quite a bit of reflection and discussion, if you give it that opportunity. I contend that it is closer to an art house film than a mainstream Hollywood movie, but Liam Neeson's presence gave it more commercial appeal and so a lot of people hoping for "Taken" meets "The Edge" were disappointed.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts muzikool. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #72 of 82 Old 06-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
I enjoyed the Blu Ray, and I'm not one of the nature extremusts smile.gif...but nature Blu Rays are my favorites, and I love David Attenborough's BBC series. The Alaskan Wolf is beautiful animal, but they used movie magic to depict it as a dark, scary beast biggrin.gif.
post #73 of 82 Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I thought the movie was mediocre to bad. If they had made a pure, fun, suspend-your-disbelief adventure story of man vs nature it could have been a good film.....OR.....if they had made a serious, realistic, probe-the-deeper-meaning of life, death, and God in the context of a struggle against nature story, it could have been a good film. But they tried to make both types of films and the result was a mess.
post #74 of 82 Old 06-20-2012, 02:18 PM

Liked: 12
I thought it was a decent movie throughout. Certainly kept my attention - and the sound does make this much more of an enjoyable watch.

I haven't heard many talk about watching this completely through the end of the credits. I almost turned if off - and that would have been a mistake. The final scene after the credits really changed how I felt about the entire movie - and I left thinking the entire experience was more gratifying.
post #75 of 82 Old 06-21-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

I haven't heard many talk about watching this completely through the end of the credits. I almost turned if off - and that would have been a mistake. The final scene after the credits really changed how I felt about the entire movie - and I left thinking the entire experience was more gratifying.
I didn't make it thru the credits and found out later that there was the additional post-credit scene. I hadn't sent the movie back to Netflix yet, so I was able to watch it.

To me, it re-emphasized the problem I had with the film. I didn't like the pre-credit ending because the film hadn't built enough credibility with me as a "deep meaning" movie for them to get away with that kind of an ending. And then they tacked on the post-credit ending, which is a device I've only seen in movies that don't take themselves too seriously. It goes back to my gripe that I think they needed to decide which type of film they were making, and not try to make both.
post #76 of 82 Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 AM
CIH USER

Finally get a chance to watch this tonight. Ive heard good things about it.

Frank
post #77 of 82 Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
CIH USER

This film was fantastic will be definitely picking this up and add to my collection.

Frank
post #78 of 82 Old 07-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Liked: 16
watched this evening. I enjoyed, the sound effects was awesome.
post #79 of 82 Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM

The audio is the best part of this movie ....the video is effective but I dont like when it seems like they are adding noise into the video . The movie itself is about ** out of 4 stars. Worth a rent or a keeper for audio.
post #80 of 82 Old 09-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Watched this tonight and thought it was great. Not a dull moment.

Audio caught me by surprise! I had not read anything about it and it was fantastic! Really placed the listener right in the action with incredible surround use, potent LFE and awesome dynamics. The plane crash was a high point, but lots of great audio moments. Ralph described it best and my experience was the same. smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #81 of 82 Old 09-13-2012, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched this tonight and thought it was great. Not a dull moment.
Audio caught me by surprise! I had not read anything about it and it was fantastic! Really placed the listener right in the action with incredible surround use, potent LFE and awesome dynamics. The plane crash was a high point, but lots of great audio moments. Ralph described it best and my experience was the same. smile.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Todd..cool.gif

Thanks for chiming in.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #82 of 82 Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Agree with most posts on here. Really enjoyed the movie and A/V as well. I'm normally not a 'jumpy' person when I watch movies but this movie got me a few times... I thought most of the action was reasonable with the exception of one scene. Really enjoyed the end too. I think I'm growing as a movie watcher b/c normally I don't like artsy endings - I like to know exactly what happened, but I really liked the way this one ended.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Grey Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page