post #1 of 1 Old 05-04-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 436

Kate and Leopold

Overview:

A rip in time begins an epic love story as Lionsgate debuts Miramax's Kate & Leopold: Director's Cut on Blu-ray Disc for the very first time this April. Hollywood mega-talents Meg Ryan (You've Got Mail) and Hugh Jackman (the X-Men trilogy) star in this romantic comedy about a modern 21st century woman who falls for a dashing 19th century man. Co-written and directed by James Mangold (Walk the Line), the film also stars Liev Schreiber (X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Breckin Meyer (TV's Franklin & Bash). The film's theme song, Sting's "Until, received an OscarĀ® nod for Best Original Song (2001).

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

My Thoughts:

In modern day New York City, Kate's (Ryan) ex-boyfriend Stuart (Schreiber) unknowingly finds a rip in time that takes him to the 1870s. Puzzled by the strange man with the tiny camera photographing his surroundings, 19th century man Leopold (Jackman) follows the man into the 21st century. Unaware, Stuart leads Leopold straight into the arms of his ex. What unfolds is a hilarious and sincere love story between a man and a woman from different times. Kate and Leopold is a cute, albeit silly and somewhat smarmy romantic comedy that is tailor made for the warm hearted genre fan. Hugh Jackman is at his charismatic best and in my opinion is the catalyst for the film's best moments. I found Meg Ryan's performance to be disingenuous and a bit sterile which had a negative effect on the film's thematic romance. At just over two hours this director's cut runs just a little too long but I didn't find it detrimental. Kate and Leopold isn't perfect but it is whimsically fun and thanks to Hugh Jackman is probably a little better than it should be.

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

This 1080p AVC (MPEG-4) high definition rendering exhibited clean lines, crisp detail during close ups and warm flesh tones. Sharpness was not as acute as the best catalog release titles that have come to Blu-ray but it never looked demonstrably soft. Colors looked natural with ample saturation and vivid textures. Black levels were above average and shadow delineation revealed good visible detail in backgrounds during low light sequences and within dark areas of the picture. I would describe the video as being in the middle of the pack and perfectly acceptable. Video = 78 .

The lossless audio presentation was essentially the same in that it wasn't exemplary but sounded just fine. Dialogue was well articulated with clear tonal distinction. Dynamic range was never really tested by the film's elements however the variety of sounds within the track had ample depth. Surround activity was limited to light spatial dimension that occasionally broadened the soundfield and seamlessly bridged the space between the front and rear sound stages. This is a dialogue driven film that doesn't require extensive use of the surround platform. In that regard it does a commendable job and sounds great. Audio = 80.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director James Mangold

• On the set featurette - 14 minutes

• 7 deleted scenes with optional director commentary

• Costume featurette - 3 minutes

• Until music video by Sting

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 10, 2012

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Samsung BD-C7900 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Kate Leopold Directors Cut Blu Ray , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player , Samsung Bd C7900 1080p 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Kate by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page