Simply Red: Live at Montreux 2003 (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 519
attachment.php?attachmentid=246859&d=1337260028
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Eagle Rock - 2003/2010
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 124 minutes
Genre: Concert

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080i/30

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, LPCM Stereo, Dolby Digital 5.1
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 22, 2012

"Red, Simply Red"

Film Synopsis:

Simply Red are one of the most successful British acts of all time with global album sales in excess of 50 million. Both the band and Mick Hucknall as a solo artist have been frequent visitors to Montreux. This concert was part of the tour in support of their multi-platinum album Home. It features several tracks from that album, including three UK hit singles, along with many of their biggest hits and best loved album tracks. It's a typically polished and sparkling Simply Red performance with Mick Hucknall in excellent voice and the band in fine form.

My Take:

This performance was filmed on July 15, 2003 at the Montreux Jazz Festival, where the band, over the course of its 25 years, has been a longtime favorite. This two-hour 18-song set was filmed in high definition and recorded in DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital 5.1, LPCM Stereo. Simply Red boasts frontman vocalist Mick Hucknall, Ian Kirkham (saxophone); Kenji Suzuki (guitar); Steve Lewinson (bass); Pete Lewinson (drums); Dave Clayton (keyboards); Chris de Margary (flugelhorn, saxophone); John Johnson (trombone, percussion); Kevin Robinson (trumpet); Sarah Brown and Dee Johnson (backing vocals). I guess it wouldn't be fair to say that I am a true Simply Red fan as I don't own any of their albums/CD's. However I have been enjoying their music for years via radio play and now through title specific downloads from iTunes etc. I really like their jazzy, bluesy, pop/rock fusion coupled with Mick Hucknall's soulful voice. The first time I heard them was back in the eighties when Holding back the years was getting lots of air play. It remains my all time favorite but subsequent to that, The right thing, their cover of If you don't know me by now (originally by Harold Melvin and Blue Notes), Stars and Fairground are all tunes that caught my attention over the years. This set features all of my favorites along with a few that I hadn't previously heard which are typically Simply Red and sound great. This lineup of the band, including Hucknall, are in excellent form and the music has plenty of energy and synergy.

As a bonus this Blu-ray release also includes seven more tracks from their 2010 Montreux appearance and features: Out On The Range To Be With You Your Mirror Heaven For Your Babies Ain't That A Lot Of Love and If You Don't Know Me By Now. The name Simply Red was officially retired by Mick Hucknall in 2010 but the band's music lives on. This concert film from Eagle Rock Entertainment is a wonderful assemblage that highlights their works and gives fans the opportunity to see them performing in a live environment and sounding as good as ever. Don't miss it!

Track listing:

1. Sad Old Red
  2. Enough
  3. Lost Weekend
  4. A New Flame
  5. Night Nurse
  6. Something For You
  7. You Make Me Feel Brand New
  8. Home Loan Blues
  9. Stars
  10. Fake
  11. Come To My Aid
  12. Thrill Me
  13. The Right Thing
  14. Something Got Me Started
  15. Holding Back The Years
  16. Money's Too Tight To Mention
  17. Fairground
  18. Sunrise

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for general audiences.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Simply Red: Live from Montreux 2003 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Eagle Rock Entertainment featuring 1080i AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

This concert film was shot in high definition in a live environment. As such it doesn't offer a variety of backgrounds, lighting and other visually engaging elements however the 1.78:1 framed video features pleasing colors, stable contrast and above average shadow detail that stand out well against the indoor static imagery. Fleshtones appear lifelike and quite natural in depiction. Resolution is good but doesn't rise to a level that would be perceived as transparent. Images are well resolved though and the rendering of detail is appreciable. Blacks are stable but not noticeably strong but based upon the source this isn't problematic. Overall high definition video quality is naturally satisfying and perfectly suited for the source material.

There are three listening options, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, LPCM Stereo and lossy Dolby Digital 5.1. I opted for the DTS-HD MA soundtrack. The mix isn't an aggressive one and utilizes a more laid back approach with the vocals retaining a frontal orientation with low level ambient bleed through the rear channels. The same applies to the backing vocals. The instrumentation is spread across the front soundstage with discernable separation and open expression. Dynamics are punchy and detail/clarity is quite good. Vocal reproduction is smooth with minimally sibilant character and excellent room penetration. I didn't found the reserved aspect of the surround mix to be problematic and on a whole enjoyed the primarily audience based aural perspective.

Bonus Features:

Simply Red at Montreux 2010 (7 Tracks):

1. Out On The Range
  2. To Be With You
  3. Your Mirror
  4. Heaven
  5. For your babies
  6. Ain't That A Lot Of Love
  7. If you don't know me by now

Final Thoughts:

Simply Red are one of the most successful British acts of all time with global album sales in excess of 50 million. Both the band and Mick Hucknall as a solo artist have been frequent visitors to the Montreux Jazz Festival. Filmed on July 15, 2003, this concert was part of the tour in support of their multi-platinum album Home. This lineup of the band, frontman vocalist Mick Hucknall, Ian Kirkham (saxophone); Kenji Suzuki (guitar); Steve Lewinson (bass); Pete Lewinson (drums); Dave Clayton (keyboards); Chris de Margary (flugelhorn, saxophone); John Johnson (trombone, percussion); Kevin Robinson (trumpet); Sarah Brown and Dee Johnson (backing vocals) is in excellent form and the music has plenty of energy and synergy. This Blu-ray offering features satisfying high definition video quality, rewarding DTS-HD Master Audio sound and seven bonus tracks taken from Simply Red's appearance at Montreux in 2010. Simply Red: Live at Montreux 2003 is a wonderful assemblage that highlights Simply Red's works and gives fans the opportunity to see them performing in a live environment and sounding as good as ever. If you're a fan this Blu-ray Disc release from Eagle Rock Entertainment is a must have. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Nice will be picking this one up for my girl, she love these guys..Now I need is some UB40 with the same or better treatment

Thanks for the review.

DJoel

post #3 of 5 Old 05-17-2012, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm in...longtime favorite of mine. I really enjoy concert Blu's...I crank it to reference level + and kick back and enjoy.

My last addition was Pat Metheny / The Way Up...it was on sale for $9.99..if you like Jazz...this is a good one for your collection, they use instruments to create "wierd" but enveloping sounds to the music... very likeable group!

Thanks King P
post #4 of 5 Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Liked: 13
I have the Phil Collins Live in Montreux Blu-Ray. Great sounding recording on both the 2004 concert and the bonus 1996 concert. I have one question on the audio in the DTS-MA 5.1 track. Was the center channel on the Simply Red Blu-ray very low in the mix? I noticed primarily the stereo front was the loudest and the center really muted. rears were there but added ambiance. The front mix though was excellent with a great soundstage and sound quality. I didn't feel anything was missing, but the mix seemed more 4.1 in a way. I only noticed sound was coming out of the center because I put my ear right up to the tweeter on my Monitor Audio GXC350 center and I could see the woofers moving slightly.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 13
Is anyone experiencing Audio problems with the vocal track on this DVD??
it sounds like Mike Hucknalls voice is distorted when he sings hard .

John
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Simply Red Live At Montreux 2003 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Simply by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page