Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 84/89 minutes
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/Sci-fi

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Alex Russell, Michael B. Jordan, Dane DeHaan, Michael Kelly, Ashley Hinshaw
Directed by: Josh Trank
Written by: Max Landis
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 15, 2012

"What are you capable of?"

Film Synopsis:

Seen through the lens of a troubled teen's video camera, yet filled with eye-popping action and jaw-dropping special effects, Chronicle is as real as it gets. When three ordinary high school friends make an extraordinary discovery, they acquire amazing abilities beyond their understanding. Fun, harmless pranks soon lead to much riskier activities as the boys' "gifts" - and their lives - spin dangerously out of control!

My Take:

Three high school students make an unusual and outwardly non-earth like discovery, leading to their developing uncanny telekinetic powers which seem to evolve and link them. As they learn to control their abilities and use them to their advantage, their lives start to spin out of control. What starts out as fun and games quickly becomes dangerous and they must face the inevitable question of whether they can handle the responsibility that comes with their remarkable powers.

Chronicle isn't deep, prophetic or necessarily preachy. It is at its center a buddy flick about three very different teen boys whose lives are dramatically changed by their exposure to an unknown object that gives them telekinetic powers. As they experiment with their new found gifts they discover what appears to be near limitless capabilities. Andrew is a loner whose only friend is his cousin Matt. Andrew's home life is difficult thanks to an abusive alcoholic father and a cancer stricken mother. On top of that he is bullied in school and has taken to recording the events in his life on a camcorder. Matt is level headed, has no trouble fitting in at school and has aspirations that include dating Ashley, a long time crush. Steve is mister popular, running for senior class president and is on the fast track to success.

The story primarily focuses on Andrew and how after the exposure/discovery of their powers, it affects his already fragile psyche. Matt and Steve being more grounded are much less adversely affected by the inherent dangers of such power. What starts out as three guys having fun with something that they don't truly understand quickly unravels and descends into life altering events with consequences that cannot be undone. As I alluded to earlier the plot isn't deep but a connection to the characters is quickly established. The vagueness of the what/why relative to the object isn't a problem as the narrative's real target is the depiction of who, in this case, the three boys and how it comes to drawn them together and ultimately tear them apart. The saying, with great power comes great responsibility, is apropos. Unfortunately Andrew's perspective is skewed by hard times that don't allow him to disconnect. This sets him up as a ticking time bomb with the potential for some serious payback.

Told in the found footage video style, Chronicle's base level story has enriching elements of teen drama, action, and sci-fi/fantasy, which results in a pretty entertaining film. I like the fact that part of the story is steeped in empathetic harsh reality while other aspects of it descend into the kind of fun, mindless fantasy that you would expect based upon the subject material. The final act pushes things toward the edge a bit but not to a deleterious point. Action/sci-fi notwithstanding this is more or less a character driven film that pulled me in. This is owed in part to the fine performances by the cast, especially Dane Dehaan whose credible portrayal of Andrew anchors the rest. Chronicle isn't going to win any cinematic awards but its thoughtful, semi-original and engaging spin makes for a great way to spend 90 minutes. This Blu-ray release from Fox includes both the theatrical and director's cut (the version I watched during my evaluation) which adds five minutes to the original's runtime.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense action and violence, thematic material, some language, brief sexual content and teen drinking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Chronicle comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

The early segments of the film as seen through Andrew's crappy SD video camera are purposefully soft but shortly thereafter he upgrades to a newer HD model at which time the image takes on much improved dimension. The result is a solid video presentation that offers discerning resolution and appreciable delineation during close up and mid level camera pans. The video isn't razor sharp but has an enriching quality. The color range sets the mood with either a purposely reserved palette or bolder chromatic emphasis. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yield crisp, bright whites and blacks are fairly deep and noise free. This is a pristine encoding that shows no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a nice job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that quite often engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn't extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion. The first flight and later the storm and extended fight sequences are empowered by near field sound effects, robust dynamics and thumping low frequency effects that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces the film's music and extended lower bass frequencies with palpable impact that has excellent tactility.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Director's Cut of the film

• (HD) Deleted scene

• Pre-visualization - 7 minutes

• (HD) Camera test - 4 minutes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Chronicle isn't deep or lofty filmmaking but engages via a thoughtful, semi-original narrative spin that despite a few minor shortcomings proves pretty entertaining. It makes its way onto Blu-ray Disc in this two disc release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment that offers excellent high definition audio/video quality, includes two versions of the film and a disappointing supplemental package. Chronicle has something to offer and is well worth your time. Give it a spin on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-19-2012, 12:52 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Thanks for the review Ralph this movie comes out next month over here will be definitely purchasing it.

Frank
post #3 of 29 Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph.

I enjoyed Chronicle enough, but thought the "found footage" gimmick was a real distraction. Usually when I watch a movie I forget there even is a camera. But with "found footage" it forces you to think about the camera at all times, which really took me out of the movie.
post #4 of 29 Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 684
The found footage aspect had me against the film from the get go .. however, I was pleasantly surprised .. the "camera" changes from an older model to a high res unit part way thru the film and showed a marked improvement in PQ ..

I was engaged after about 5 minutes .. the effects are well done and the acting is quite good ..

Although Ralph and I don't always agree, I'm with him on this one ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #5 of 29 Old 05-19-2012, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Although Ralph and I don't always agree, I'm with him on this one ..

Greetings,

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 29 Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 85
More than a few passing similarities to Akira. (Of which the director openly admitted.) Andrew was a very close personality set up to Tetsuo. Teenager, troubled chilldhood/upbringing, wrong place at the right time awakens powers inside him, powers grow over course of film, closest friend has to try to stop him. Yup, it's that similar. ^_^

Still, I really liked the first 2/3rd's of the movie, even if the end wasn't quite as fulfilling as it could have been. (The last scene in particular)

Solid film.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
lame. blair witch meets akira. camera change adds to lameness.
post #8 of 29 Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I think it's definitely worth a watch. LFE was very good in some parts.

Kind of seemed like a mix of Jumper, Hancock, and parts of the X-men.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thought it was an ok movie although the special effects was good. Storywise was somewhat sad. Feel sorry for the kid's parents especially his father.
post #10 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 04:25 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

........engages via a thoughtful, semi-original narrative spin that despite a few minor shortcomings proves pretty entertaining.

that about sums it up for me. I'll give it a whirl -
post #11 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Blues In Thirds

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post

2nd time someone has commented that way. Is the camera shift that noticeable?
post #12 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

It's the best of the "found footage" genre which means nothing. Most of this genre is unwatchable. This film ok as a rental. Nothing more.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

It's front and center. it's not just 1 or 2 camera changes. Security camera here, tourist camera there, girlfriend b-camera, cop car cameras. They're all over the place.

I actually think the movie would have been stronger with this element jettisoned, but it at least made sense that Andrew's personality would be hiding behind said device for the majority of the film's running time.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

bulls is famous for not liking any movie ever reviewed here at AVS.

Every movie that I can recall ever being reviewed with his comments in it, it's always something short, to the point, and negative about the film. Such as that comment there.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #15 of 29 Old 05-22-2012, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thank you for identifying the film as a "found footage" genre. I will pass on this one although the story sounds interesting. I just don't like "found footage" or shaky camera/fast cut type of films.

Still Learning
post #16 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

not liking any movie ever reviewed here

incorrect.
post #17 of 29 Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

incorrect.

Actually, I just checked. He's totally right.

Chronicle (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
for some reason not satisfied with the story...

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

total nap fest

Hugo 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
well... this was a bore fest... sure, it was made nice... kept me semi-awake in the movies... the divergence of the main plot to the other character's story totally annoyed the hell out of me...

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
omg this was a lame one... dragged on and on...

I didn't look through too many comments, but out of all the comments I looked at for the AVS reviews, it's like 5 out of 6 are like this.

Nothing wrong with that. It's actually kinda funny, and if you didn't like it, you didn't like it.
post #18 of 29 Old 06-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
i just finished watching this movie, pretty boring and predictable. I don't mind these shaky cam films, but this movie did nothing for me. Good special effects, very prdictable story(loser gets picked on, gets revenge, goes over edge). Just not very entertaining. I usually agree with Ralph, but not so much this time, sorry
post #19 of 29 Old 06-01-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post

i just finished watching this movie, pretty boring and predictable. I don't mind these shaky cam films, but this movie did nothing for me. Good special effects, very prdictable story(loser gets picked on, gets revenge, goes over edge). Just not very entertaining. I usually agree with Ralph, but not so much this time, sorry

Greetings,

Sorry about that Erick..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 29 Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just finish watching this movie.

Started out as Jack Ass with magic.

Ended with Marvel Comic.

I enjoy it!
post #21 of 29 Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 AM
CIH USER

Bought this on a blind buy ( was cheap ) will be watching tomorrow night.

Frank
post #22 of 29 Old 06-13-2012, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Bought this on a blind buy ( was cheap ) will be watching tomorrow night.

Greetings,

Be sure to post back with your impressions Frank. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #23 of 29 Old 06-14-2012, 10:10 AM
CIH USER

This film was fantastic, loved it. Once they obtained there powers it just got better and better. Im definitely glad I bought this on a blind buy. It has plenty of replay value for me.

Frank
post #24 of 29 Old 06-14-2012, 10:11 AM

After watching this for 5 min it was oh oh, not another movie filmed with home camera. But once I got over that I enjoyed it. I am not sure I would buy it, but it was interesting idea. Rent it, then decide ...
post #25 of 29 Old 06-17-2012, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Not too bad of a movie..worth a rental but I'm not sure of a purchase. I enjoyed it somewhat. Towards the end it did remind me a little of Akira.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #26 of 29 Old 06-24-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I enjoyed the rental. I am not a fan of the shaky camera method used in this film, however after they acquired their powers I seemed to be able to "get into it" a bit more with the story. Akira storyline with a Cloverfield type of film presentation.wink.gif
post #27 of 29 Old 07-01-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Rented the DVD from a Redbox kiosk yesterday (all out of BD version). What this film is, is Carrie in "stealth mode". Yes, we've seen this before, but this is a new spin on an old tale. What the film is not is, "end-of-the-world epic". I'm glad they didn't overreach and try. It turns out fairly well-balanced and I enjoyed it. Perhaps the BD would've revealed some of the flaws of the CG, because it's not totally seamless on DVD. And for those complaining about the shakey-cam, did you notice how the "technique" improved with the "abilities"? That was addressed.

Chronicle (IMO) is a "one-off", a la Hancock; it really doesn't need a sequel. Though I would have preferred a little more backstory on the acquisition of their abilities. Maybe there'll be a DC later.

Anyways, definitely worth a rent, but unsure of replay value.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #28 of 29 Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I absolutely was surprised by this film. Intead of capes and masks there are just three kids with an incredible ability. The film overall didn't seem cheesy at all and seemed more
human in story than say batman or thor or the avengers.

Audio was a total surprise, definitley worth checking out for that alone. I recommend totally.
post #29 of 29 Old 09-09-2012, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Just viewed this film and thought it was a nice change in script from the normal superpower movie .I would like to have seen more development on what allowed this all to happen and the ending let me down just a little but it was not a deal breaker for me. The video was done well as I did not see anything CGI wise that stood well maybe the lifted BMW lol!!! My screen is smaller so I might miss certain details. I don't want to be too critical of the audio but at times it seemed that the LFE was present when it really was not needed.

I think the Ralph's review was spot on so this was just a rental for me!!!!!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Chronicle Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies