Red Tails (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 05-29-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Here are a few images featuring famed Tuskegee Airman, Robert "Bob" Williams. Bob wrote the original manuscript for what became "The Tuskegee Airmen" film produced for HBO. Bob was co-executive producer.

Bob (originally from Iowa) lived in the Pasadena area where he raised three kid's of whom I grew up with. Funny thing is growing-up we never knew anything about the existence of the Tuskegee Airmen (or the fact that Bob piloted a P51 in WWII), even having been in their house-hold for many family social events over the years. It was never really talked about, at least not until the 1990's.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Put aside the very fine PQ & SQ this movie was a total dog. Cliche dialogue, two dimensional cliche characters and choppy storyline. At least Cuba Gooding had a nice looking pipe. Escape tunnel comes up near the woods (Great Escape anyone?). They missed one important detail a Dodger fan from Brooklyn. This film has Razzy nomination all over it.
post #33 of 51 Old 05-30-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

At least Cuba Gooding had a nice looking pipe

funny, I thought Cuba looked weirdly out-of-place smoking that pipe, un-natural, like a young boy playing a grown man hero

But at least this film was able to capture some of the spirit of the story (I thought). I give thanks to George Lucas for genuinely caring enough to lay his own money on the line to make sure this story made it to the big screen.
post #34 of 51 Old 05-31-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I give thanks to George Lucas for genuinely caring enough to lay his own money on the line to make sure this story made it to the big screen.

after all is said and done, +1
post #35 of 51 Old 06-02-2012, 04:55 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Im definitely looking forward in watching this.

Frank

post #36 of 51 Old 06-02-2012, 09:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Watched this tonight.

1. One of the worst movies of the year.
2. Dialog made the cliche meter go haywire and break
3. Video looked great but the CGI looked bad and made the movie look like an XBOX game.
4. Audio mediocre as Ralph had graded it. The train scene was not bombastic and there was very little ultra low frequency bass.
5. I think the dialog was simply embarrassing and the love story was stupid (and squeezed in).
6. Dog fights were boring.
7. Infrequent problems with the ADR - dialog a bit too hot at times.

What an embarrassment. A great story crapped on.

OK, I guess you can see that it was a waste of time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #37 of 51 Old 06-03-2012, 03:58 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Watched this tonight.

1. One of the worst movies of the year.
2. Dialog made the cliche meter go haywire and break
3. Video looked great but the CGI looked bad and made the movie look like an XBOX game.
4. Audio mediocre as Ralph had graded it. The train scene was not bombastic and there was very little ultra low frequency bass.
5. I think the dialog was simply embarrassing and the love story was stupid (and squeezed in).
6. Dog fights were boring.
7. Infrequent problems with the ADR - dialog a bit too hot at times.

What an embarrassment. A great story crapped on.

OK, I guess you can see that it was a waste of time.

Will still rent to watch.

Frank

post #38 of 51 Old 06-03-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Will still rent to watch.

Not saying you shouldn't, just that my high hopes were quickly doused!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #39 of 51 Old 06-03-2012, 06:56 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Not saying you shouldn't, just that my high hopes were quickly doused!

Well you saved me from blind buying it Jeff.

Frank

post #40 of 51 Old 06-04-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Well you saved me from blind buying it Jeff.

Great! That's money in your pocket!

post #41 of 51 Old 06-07-2012, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal68 View Post

I don't know if others feel the same way I do, but tI feel that the CGI graphics of the aerial plane/dogfight sequences in modern movies is not very good. For example, when I see the battle scenes in the movie "Pearl Harbor" and compare them to similar scenes from Tora Tora Tora, I can clearly see the difference. The shots in the new movies look really fake to me. The programmers in Hollywood do a really good job with most CGI shots, but I feel that they have not yet mastered the art of planes whizzing by! I'll rent this movie and see how the CGI in it looks.

Cal68

Red Tails should have had the real treatment. But if it's LucasFilm. it's going to be the fake looking CGI. The best of the breed can't hold a candle to real life shot on film. It's good when used sparingly in instances when the real thing cannot be achieved another way. And real effects aren't dead. I recently saw 2005's Death Race (way over the top) and sure enough, it was real looking because it was shot using full sized and scale model moving vehicles.
post #42 of 51 Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29

I agree with Jeff's overall take on it.  Also on the comments from others on Cuba Gooding looking downright silly trying to pose heroically with that McArthur like pipe.  Terrible dialogue and the sound left me wanting.  I had read good things about the movie being shot in auro 3D sound, but found that the Blu Ray was only 5.1 and didn't benefit very much in my 9.2 setup, including height speakers.  I had hoped for more and I was greatly disappointed on nearly all fronts, both art and tech.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
post #43 of 51 Old 06-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

After seeing the movie att the theater, I was glad to buy the movie. I was proud to actually meet General Chappie James in person at a resturant in Miami about 1975. General James was a "'Red Tail" in WWII and a Phantom pilot in Nam. He was the first to greet the POW airmen when they returned from Nam. These people were true American Hero's and I am glad that this film was made to remember them.
post #44 of 51 Old 06-30-2012, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I had read good things about the movie being shot in auro 3D sound, but found that the Blu Ray was only 5.1 and didn't benefit very much in my 9.2 setup, including height speakers.
Until the first consumer Auro-3D decoders appear later in 2012 or in 2013, we won't really know if the 5.1 PCM soundtrack used for the DTS-HDMA 5.1 encode on the Red Tails BD, was a "vanilla" 5.1 surround mix, or an Auro encoded 5.1 PCM mix. Using an Auro-3D decoder, an Auro encoded 5.1 PCM mix would decode|expand into an [Auro-3D] 9.1 speaker config, but is otherwise undistinguished. So I guess we'll wait to find out in time...!
_

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #45 of 51 Old 06-30-2012, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by generallee View Post

After seeing the movie att the theater, I was glad to buy the movie. I was proud to actually meet General Chappie James in person at a resturant in Miami about 1975. General James was a "'Red Tail" in WWII and a Phantom pilot in Nam. He was the first to greet the POW airmen when they returned from Nam. These people were true American Hero's and I am glad that this film was made to remember them.

Greetings,

Great stuff and very true. Thanks for sharing..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #46 of 51 Old 07-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Actually Chappie James was the pilot instructor of the 332th. He was the first man of his race to attain 4 star (full general) in the air force. His combat experience also included Korea and I believe about 78 missions in NAM.
Most are too young to remember the events of WWII and the hollywood movies of the time were BS propoganda. The war had an unimmaginable loss of life of all nationalities and particularly those of the US. The soldier "Dog Faces" simply drew graffiti wherever they went "Kilroy, was here" and trudged on.
Red Tails did have a good bit of Hollywood shmaltz but then at least they were remembered.
post #47 of 51 Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
CIH USER

After my own better judgement i bought this a blind buy. It has to be better than ghost rider 2.

Frank

post #48 of 51 Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

After my own better judgement i bought this a blind buy. It has to be better than ghost rider 2.

Greetings,

No worries there Frank...it is better than GR2. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #49 of 51 Old 07-04-2012, 07:42 AM
CIH USER

Thanks Ralph smile.gif

Frank

post #50 of 51 Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching this movie and i loved it. Im glad i bought it, i was hesitant at first but im glad i went ahead. Everything about this film kept me entertained to the end. It will have plenty of replay value in my room.

A question was their meant to be a sequel?

Frank

post #51 of 51 Old 07-09-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

A question was their meant to be a sequel?

Knowing George Lucas there will be sequels, The Nazi's Strike Back and Return Of The Red Tails are probably in the works. 20 years from now Lucas will reissue the movie and have Greedo shoot first.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Red Tails Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Red by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page