Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 06-03-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks Mr.G it doesnt matter that much if its 2.40 or 1.85 I like them both.I ordered mine from Amazon & havnt receive it yet,they sometimes come a little early.
post #33 of 54 Old 06-03-2012, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post

Is this movie in 2.40 or 1.85,Amazon says 1.85,thanks

Greetings,

It is 2.40:1. See the specifications portion of the review (near the top)

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #34 of 54 Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I watched the 2D version of John Carter last night and was a bit underwhelmed with most aspects of the movie, but plan to watch the 3D version some time this weekend and see how it measures up. I'm thinking the movie might grow on me after a few more viewings. smile.gif

oz
post #35 of 54 Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

What, no love for the more accurately-titled adaptation PRINCESS OF MARS, starring Traci Lords as Dejah Thoris and Antonio Sabato as John Carter?? :-)
+

I want to see that in 3D biggrin.gif

Panny 58VT25
Elite SC-55
Oppo BDP-93
AppleTV 3rd Gen
PS3 Slim
Xbox 360
Xfinity HD-DVR
Panamax M5100-EX
9.2 setup
Polk RM50T mains
Polk RM 302 center
Polk RM 301 surrounds
Polk RM 201 surround back
Polk RM 101 front height
Rel T3
Velodyne DLS4000R
post #36 of 54 Old 06-07-2012, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Rented this last night and found it quite entertaining. The marketing team should be shot. This should have performed decently at the box office. I was looking forward to a sequel at the end of the movie, but unless this movie does a whole lot better in BD/DVD sales than at the box office, I don't know how likely that is to happen.

Max
post #37 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Liked: 14
Watched this friday night with a music editor friend and neither of us were impressed by the sound mix. There was IMO the typical subdued use of surrounds for ambiences and backgrounds that is characteristic of Skywalker mixes. We both felt the music was balanced as front-heavy, not much spread into the surrounds and often held back. The mix seemed to favor some fairly small sound effects elements over allowing the music to excite and drive the action. It was dynamically rather flat as well. About 20 minutes after watching this we watched "Safe House" and the difference was like night & day - a much more dynamic mix with lots of surround ambience and music that was full and spread throughout the sound field. I'd be interested to hear what other have to say about this mix compared to other large scale recent action/adventure titles.
post #38 of 54 Old 06-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

I watched John Carter in 3D earlier today after having watched it a few days back in 2D, and I actually enjoyed it a little more this 2nd time around. The 3D effects were nothing to brag about, but they weren't really all that bad either. I'll be watching it again in a week or two with the wife to see what she thinks of it. Either way, I was at first regretting purchasing this movie, but now I'm starting to like it better.

oz
post #39 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 06:27 AM

Got to view this for the first time a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite movies to come out in the last 4-5 years. I think Ralph is right on when it comes to the ratings of the audio and video, but for me the story and visuals in this movie is what puts it over the top. Already bought the books on amazon and can't wait to read the series by Burroughs. I really hope Disney doesn't give up on this one and makes some sequels.
post #40 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphrider74 View Post

Got to view this for the first time a couple of days ago and absolutely loved it. One of my favorite movies to come out in the last 4-5 years. I think Ralph is right on when it comes to the ratings of the audio and video, but for me the story and visuals in this movie is what puts it over the top. Already bought the books on amazon and can't wait to read the series by Burroughs. I really hope Disney doesn't give up on this one and makes some sequels.
The books are pulp fiction and aren't great literature. That said, they showed remarkable imagination for their time. The film nailed so much of the feel and content that if you had any nostalgic feelings for the books you absolutely loved it. Unfortunately, Disney failed to tap the demo that hadn't read the books with a botched marketing campaign. Perhaps there never was any hope as audiences have become jaded and John Carter had disappeared from society's conscious view. I saw this opening weekend in 3D IMAX and had intended to see it again. I didn't find it fragmented at all. Had they explored more depth it would have bogged the film down. 132 minutes bloated? I could have used another 20. The changes made, notably how he made it to Mars and how he returned were very well done, better than the somewhat corny ERB solutions. The changes to the character also worked. JC in the books is a stoic warrior with a mysterious past, an indomitable heart and very little depth. Making him a broken man that finds himself was a good decision.

It's too bad we won't see the last 2 installments, but after a $200M write down, Disney won't touch them. I think I'll go out and buy the blu today.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #41 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Rented this last night and found it quite entertaining. The marketing team should be shot. This should have performed decently at the box office. I was looking forward to a sequel at the end of the movie, but unless this movie does a whole lot better in BD/DVD sales than at the box office, I don't know how likely that is to happen.
Max

Saw it in the theater and wanted to purchase it. Had to dig to find a copy at BB it was almost/sold out. Hope that trend continues cool.gif
post #42 of 54 Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

I've watched John Carter several different times now, and am finding it to be one of those movies that the more I watch it, the better I like it! cool.gif

oz
post #43 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Completely enjoyed the BD .. reference quality PQ & SQ .. magnificent at 110" ..

This may become a cult classic .. mix in a little Star Wars, add some 5th Element ..

And a bonus is it's a great system "Show Off" presentation ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #44 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Completely enjoyed the BD .. reference quality PQ & SQ .. magnificent at 110" ..
This may become a cult classic .. mix in a little Star Wars, add some 5th Element ..
And a bonus is it's a great system "Show Off" presentation ..

Greetings,

cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #45 of 54 Old 06-14-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Ralph really nailed this one. I agree that some of the narrative was a bit fractured (particularly during the early moments). But the biggest drawback for me was the lead. It takes more than a TV-pretty face and physical prowess to be able to convey an iconic character such as JC, and Mr. Kitsch just didn't convey it to me. In spite of those factors, I did enjoy the film (in 3D) and it dres have plenty of replay value. (And Lynn Collins gets my vote for WONDER WOMAN, if they ever get that rolling.) Enjoyed the 5.1 audio track as well. (Although YELLOW SUBMARINE gets my vote as the best 5.1 audio of the year so far.)

post #46 of 54 Old 06-17-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Rented JC (2D) BD from Redbox yesterday (hard to find this title locally on DVD). Word of mouth drove me to it, plus the fact it's a bit elusive. I liked it. A lot. I only became aware of JC when someone on AVS started a thread about 2 years ago (Books You'd Like To See Made Into a Movie). Maybe knowing nothing about the books helped me enjoy it.

Found the CG well done, except for the flying ships early in the movie. The rest looks fantastic, especially the rendering of the native Martians; their character-design while not totally original looking, is quite photo-realistic.
Plotwise, I only question Carter's "swordplay" (former Musketeer?), but enjoyed the ride, nevertheless.

There were a couple of places where the movie looked as though it had some digital "multi-pathing", but I'll blame that on the deep scratch on the rental disc.

Strongly recommended as a rental, but am sure I'll eventually purchase.

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #47 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM

One of the rare "repeat" movies I have in my collection. I really liked it, not an outstanding epic movie but it was a decent homage to ERB, its a shame Disney botched the naming of it. Time will tell if Disney does a followup, though I doubt it.
post #48 of 54 Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezzy View Post

Rented JC (2D) BD from Redbox yesterday (hard to find this title locally on DVD).

Probably hard-to-find because Disney has now started an embargo on new releases, with a 28-day delay. (Redbox copies had to be purchased from retail!)t

post #49 of 54 Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I too liked this quite a bit. Some story points were needlessly confusing, and Taylor Kitsch was just OK (not horrible though). But I found it to be a fun, entertaining movie which is what it set out to be. Plus it had some nice Michael Giacchino scoring in spots. Really no reason for this film to have been panned so much. I've seen much worse that are regarded much higher.
post #50 of 54 Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

I too liked this quite a bit. Some story points were needlessly confusing, and Taylor Kitsch was just OK (not horrible though). But I found it to be a fun, entertaining movie which is what it set out to be. Plus it had some nice Michael Giacchino scoring in spots. Really no reason for this film to have been panned so much. I've seen much worse that are regarded much higher.
Have watched this one 3 times now (once in theater). My initial thought was that Kitsch was fine as JC, but on repeats, it becomes apparent that he lacks charisma. He was decent in the quiet and subtle dialog, but during intense scenes, he lacked gravitas. His voice sounded like a high school football player (I wonder why). If he had the magnetism of a Chris Hemsworth (not saying he's right for the role either) this film would have worked better.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

post #51 of 54 Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Finally got this disc in from Netflix and really enjoyed it, worthy of collection status and I hope there is more to come!
post #52 of 54 Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Finally got this disc in from Netflix and really enjoyed it, worthy of collection status and I hope there is more to come!

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it audiofan 1. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #53 of 54 Old 08-21-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 12
Does the 3D disk have the audio commentary?

Or is it just on the 2D disk?

The way the closing credits read, I took it to mean it was not actually shot in 3D. There were credits for something like "3D Application" and the like. Also, IMDB said they used a Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2 camera, which Wiki says was produced first in 2004. I don't *think* this is a 3D camera.

I felt the display was quite flat and was not surprised to see this in the credits. And unfortunately, I agree with post #37 that they did not take advantage of the 7.1 sound at all, with lots of battles and air vehicles flying all over the place.

BUT, I loved the movie anyway. I had low expectations based on advertising which never mentioned ERB so I assumed the estate did not sanction the movie. I'm not sure if the TV ads ever mentioned Mars. But I got caught up in the action. Although I don't remember the book, I felt the movie was quite true to the ERB idea of mars.

I rented the 3D version (3d-blurayrental.com), and they said they use the retail version, but there was no commentary.
post #54 of 54 Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM

A film costs $250M to make. And despite a botched advertising program earns $282M worldwide. Disney takes a $200M write-off?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=johncarterofmars.htm
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
John Carter Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page