Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 447
attachment.php?attachmentid=247388&d=1337796386
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Adventure/Fantasy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Michael Caine, Josh Hutcherson, Vanessa Hudgens, Luis Guzman, Kristin Davis
Directed by: Brad Peyton
Music by: Andrew Lockington
Written by: Brian Gunn & Mark Gunn
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 5, 2012

"Believe the impossible. Discover the incredible."

Film Synopsis:

The follow-up to the 2008 hit! The new journey begins when young adventurer Sean (Josh Hutcherson) receives a coded distress signal from a mysterious island where no island should exist—a place of strange life forms, mountains of gold, deadly volcanoes, and more than one astonishing secret. Unable to stop him from going, Sean’s new stepfather (Dwayne Johnson) joins the quest. Together with a helicopter pilot (Luis Guzman) and his beautiful, strong-willed daughter (Vanessa Hudgens), they set out to find the island, rescue its lone inhabitant and escape before seismic shockwaves force the island under the sea and bury its treasures forever.

My Take:

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is the sequel to 2008’s Journey to the center of the earth which starred Brendan Fraser and Anita Briem along with Josh Hutcherson (who reprises the role of Sean here). Similar to that film the story here revolves around characters that embark on a journey to a mysterious uncharted island thought to have inspired the writing of three literary classics: Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island, Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, and Jules Verne's Mysterious Island. Fraser is replaced by Dwayne Johnson, who portrays Sean’s stepfather, and Michael Caine, Vanessa Hudgens and Luis Guzman are added as the group of castaways that ultimately wind up stranded on the Mysterious Island.

Like its predecessor, this film is aimed at younger teen viewers although depending on your tolerance could be enjoyed by adults. The plot is rather facile and the dialogue can be trite however in a film like this it isn’t altogether out of place especially considering the target audience. The story’s main focus is on Sean and his desire to seek out the source of a coded signal that he believes was sent by his grandfather who disappeared after embarking on a quest to find the mysterious island referenced in the book by Jules Vern. Hank (Johnson) is Sean’s stepfather who is desperately trying to connect with him. Hank is a former Navy man who recognizes the code in the message as Morse code and subsequently helps Sean decipher it. Sean manages to convince his mother (Kristin Davis) that he should be allowed to travel to Palau in order to find its origin and hopefully his missing grandfather (and the uncharted island). She agrees with the stipulation that Hank must accompany him. Once they arrive in Palau they enlist the services of helicopter tour guide Gabato (Guzman) and his daughter Kailani (Hudgen) to take them to the dangerous Bermuda Triangle like location. Needless to say they discover that the mysterious island does in fact exist. Unfortunately it’s a paradise that holds many secrets and dangers, the last of which could spell disaster.

Journey 2 plays out nearly exactly as the original film and lacks spirited adventure and pulse elevated thrills. The attempts at sentiment and teen romance are ineffectual and the comic relief is banal at best. From a visual perspective Journey 2 has more to offer and provides plenty of eye candy and decent special effects shots. I wasn’t crazy about Journey to the center of the earth but liked it’s a bit more than this. On the other hand I prefer the look and feel of this film. Quite frankly neither left me with a desire to watch them again. In the end I would say that younger audiences will probably enjoy Journey 2 The Mysterious Island more than their parents or older siblings.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some adventure action, and brief mild language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 88

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of XXX Mbps.

So far I have been satisfied with what I have seen of the natively shot 3D offerings that have come to Blu-ray and Journey 2 is no exception. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide a fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality especially during various sequences on the island. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. The rendering of detail and clarity is similar although I would give the slightest edge for all around visual pop to the 3D version. Ghosting/crosstalk was only noticeable in one or two instances against bright backgrounds and may be missed unless you’re looking for it. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island makes for an entertaining 3D film experience.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is engaging and fun. This film has an active sound design that maintains good balance so the multitude of sound effects, music and dialogue can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is clearly articulated with excellent room penetration. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field which establishes a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the room. This creates an immersive and invloving soundscape that isn’t overly aggressive but is abundantly rich in detail. Low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer delivers well extended bass response that provides tactilely rich impact. I thought that this was an excellent surround sound mix that enhanced to the three dimensional aspects of this film.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps.

The video presentation featured punchy, vibrant and over saturated colors that were on the warm side and visually pleasing. Grain was present in fine layers that didn’t negatively affect fidelity. Visible detail was abundant which made it easy to notice subtle texture and definition in surfaces, clothing and physical features. Depending on the camera’s perspective sometimes the image softened some but I suspect that this was related to the photography rather than the encoding. Blacks and contrast were respectable so that both dark and bright scenes had good dynamic range and depth. Flesh tones were naturally rendered so that the various complexions and skin types came across without appearing artificial.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Are you strong enough to survive Mysterious Island? – Interactive map with area specific production info and cast/crew interviews (includes a Junior Explorer option to allow direct viewing of the videos)

• (HD) 1 minute Gag reel

• (HD) 5 deleted scenes – 6 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is the sequel to 2008’s Journey to the center of the earth. Much like its predecessor this film lacks spirited adventure palpable thrills and an intelligently crafted story. I suspect that its trite dialogue, superficial spoofs and glitzy aesthetic will find favor more with younger audiences than their parents. Fans are sure to be pleased with its high definition rendering in both 2D and 3D flavors as it looks great and makes for an entertaining viewing experience for those that like lots of screen popping effects. The bonus supplements are nothing to get excited about although the Blu-ray Exclusive interactive map feature isn’t bad. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is best left to a rental for the kids on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Scores are on par with what I expected. Great review as always Ralph.
post #3 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Mediocre at best and the special effects were somewhat ok.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Family loves the original Journey so this will be a blind 3D buy for us! Good to hear nice 3D and audio.

Derek
post #5 of 12 Old 06-02-2012, 04:51 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I thought rental at best with this movie

Frank

post #6 of 12 Old 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM

...the actress that plays Guzmans daughter has a body to die for, seriously, I would....
post #7 of 12 Old 06-06-2012, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I actually ended up liking this movie somewhat. I was expecting a complete dud, but I loved the 3D this movie had to offer and I think it made the movie more enjoyable for me. My opinion of this movie might be different if I saw it in regular 2D. In my own personal opinion and call me crazy if you want, but this is some of the best 3D I have seen.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-07-2012, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

I actually ended up liking this movie somewhat. I was expecting a complete dud, but I loved the 3D this movie had to offer and I think it made the movie more enjoyable for me. My opinion of this movie might be different if I saw it in regular 2D. In my own personal opinion and call me crazy if you want, but this is some of the best 3D I have seen.

Greetings,

Matt, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I wouldn't call anyone's perceptions crazy. I am glad that you enjoyed the presentation and the film. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 02:32 PM

Ralph,

Can I ask a hardware question? I don't have a 3D capable projector. Why do I see acceptable if not very good 3D effects on the original Journey to the Center of the earth movie? I use the Play Station 3 as my player.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_Wound View Post

Ralph,
Can I ask a hardware question? I don't have a 3D capable projector. Why do I see acceptable if not very good 3D effects on the original Journey to the Center of the earth movie? I use the Play Station 3 as my player.

Greetings,

I assume that you are referring to the standard Blu-ray version. The film was shot natively in 3D so what you are probably seeing is the innate effects of images coming at the camera etc. Without a 3D display/hardware there is no way for you to be seeing anything otherwise. If you find that acceptable you will more than likely really enjoy actual 3D.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 12 Old 08-12-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
I assume that you are referring to the standard Blu-ray version. The film was shot natively in 3D so what you are probably seeing is the innate effects of images coming at the camera etc. Without a 3D display/hardware there is no way for you to be seeing anything otherwise. If you find that acceptable you will more than likely really enjoy actual 3D.. wink.gif
Regards,

Ralph,

No, I was watching the 3D disc included in the Journey to the Center of the Earth Blue Ray purchase. The movie included some free paper frame glasses with a blue side lens and a red side lens. I ran the 3D disc and the Grandkids were reaching for the items coming from the screen. The adults were also flinching (myself included) when items were thrown off the screen. My son-in-law and me were astonished at the 3D effect. We were telling everyone it wasn't going to look good because I don't have a 3D projector.

I'm lost as to why it looks so good? I need a real 3D projector to see what I'm missing.

Having said that, I still will take what you said to heart "Without a 3D display/hardware there is no way for you to be seeing anything otherwise. If you find that acceptable you will more than likely really enjoy actual 3D". I must ponder this.
post #12 of 12 Old 08-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Liked: 11
That Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D BD disk you're referring to was an Anaglyph 3D version released a year after that movie was put on video. It was re-released about a year ago on video in the same "true 3D" method used in theaters using special Shuttered or Passive 3D glasses systems.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Journey 2 The Mysterious Island Dvd 3d Uv Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Journey by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page