Studio and Year: Warner (Paramount) - 1953
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 83 minutes
Genre: Western

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, English Dolby TrueHD Mono, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: John Wayne , Geraldine Page , Ward Bond , Michael Pate , James Arness, Lee Aaker
Directed by: John Farrow
Written by: James Edward Grant
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 5, 2012

"A classic western gets the Blu treatment"

Film Synopsis:

Hondo stars John Wayne as a half-Indian Cavalry scout who, with his feral dog companion, finds a young woman and her son living on a isolated ranch in unfriendly Apache country. A poetic and exciting script, outstanding performances, and breathtaking scenery make this an indisputable classic.

My Take:

Hondo is a classic Wayne western that features him in the title role as a cavalry rider who becomes the designated protector of the strong-willed and isolated rancher Angie Lowe (Geraldine Page), as well as a father figure to her son, Johnny (Lee Aaker). Angie, determinedly awaiting the return of her brutish husband, refuses to leave their homestead despite the growing danger of war between the nearby Apache nation and Union soldiers. As Hondo spends more time at the ranch Angie finds herself growing closer to this stranger, a man unlike any she has know, hardened by experience but still capable of sympathy, kindness and love. Torn between her commitment to an absentee husband and her new found fondness for Hondo, Angie also struggles to contend with the growing danger surrounding her home and caring for her impressionable son.

If asked, I would readily admit to being a John Wayne fan. In reality it would be more accurate to say that I enjoy his films because a true fan would probably have seen most if not all of them which is a claim that I unfortunately cannot make. Hondo seems like one of Wayne's films that have not seen a lot of airplay. I am thankful for the opportunity to review it as I probably would not have otherwise seen it. I thoroughly enjoyed Hondo. John Wayne was the epitome of the man's man and James Edward Grant's pitch perfect dialogue aptly conveys that via Wayne's charismatic demeanor and flawless delivery. The depiction of the Apache (through Vittorio) as something other than revenge seeking and blood lusty savages was a nice change. I found the development of the romance between Hondo and Angie to be endearing and enjoyed the chemistry between Wayne and Geraldine Page whose spirited performance earned her an Academy Award nomination. The action has a visceral edge and the characters, even the secondary ones, are carefully drawn and integral to the narrative's context. The ensemble cast lends credibility to the proceedings in support of John Wayne/Geraldine Page (who made her motion picture debut here). At 83 minutes Hondo is far from an epic but it has a little something for everyone and proves to be a timeless western that has earned a place among my John Wayne favorites.

Parental Guide:

This film isn't rated and contains thematic western violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Hondo comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 1.8 Mbps.

Hondo, originally shot using Warnercolor 3D via the then newly developed "All Media Camera," (which used twin lenses placed slightly apart to produce the stereoscopic effect) underwent an extensive 4K digital restoration/re-mastering. Here is info taken directly from Paramount's press release:

For this release, which represents the film on home video in widescreen for the first time, Paramount worked closely with Batjac, the independent production company founded by John Wayne in the 1950s, which has preserved the original 3D 35mm negative for decades. The previously restored original 3D elements, was well as secondary elements, were scanned in 4K to remaster the film and produce the highest possible image quality for this 2D release. Then, restoration tools were used to deflicker and stabilize the image, as well as address the halo effect created by original optical special effects. Finally, grain structure and color fade were balanced to manage the particularities of the stereoscope technology used to make the film, which required two sets of film elements to create dimensional depth.

I am pleased with the overall quality of this high definition presentation. Images are fairly resolute with appreciable dimension during brightly lit scenes. Fine detail is apparent during close ups and some of the long range camera shots of the beautiful shooting locales showed off the rustic textures of the landscapes and structures. Resolution isn't absolute and there are instances where the video takes on a flatter perspective which limits depth. Colors are rendered cleanly and appear satisfying with no signs of bleeding or over saturation. Predominantly warm skin tones leave some complexions appearing pinkish but not unnatural. Blacks are a bit muddy and shadow detail is just average. The effects of the restoration can be seen via a bit of uneven grain rendering and minimally deleterious softening visible in a hand full of sequences. In my opinion neither rises to objectionable levels. Seeing how this film was originally shot in 3D it would have been cool if the 3D version was included as well. This being my first experience with this film (on home video or otherwise) I must say that in general its looks marvelous in high definition and should please discerning fans.

Paramount has included lossless audio options in both mono and multi-channel flavors. I opted to use the multi-channel Dolby TrueHD track which had no trouble handling the film's recorded elements. The front three channels carry the majority of the film's audio. The mix is spread across the front three channels with primary focus on the center channel with ambience bled to the right/left speakers. The orchestrated music score is spread to the rear channels which mildly broadens the sound field. Clarity and detail are excellent which pays dividends during the film's active and quieter moments. Bass frequencies are held to the upper registers which doesn't leave much work for the subwoofer but I never missed them. The dated components in the recording are apparent but I thought it sounded fine.

Bonus Features:

• Introduction by Leonard Maltin

• Audio commentary by Leonard Maltin, Western historian Frank Thompson and actor Lee Aaker

• The making of Hondo (4 features):

1. The making of Hondo - 19 minutes
    2. Profile: James Edward Grant - 12 minutes
    3. The John Wayne Stock Company: Ward Bond - 9 minutes
    4. Wrap up with Leonard Maltin

• From the Batjac Vaults - 2 minute featurette

• The Apache - 14 minute documentary

• Photo Gallery

• Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Hondo is an earthy frontier fable that successfully blends action with evocative themes that give it a timeless appeal. This is my first experience with it and I am thrilled to have had the opportunity to see it via this excellent Blu-ray presentation from Paramount Home Entertainment that features restored/re-mastered high definition video and crystal clear lossless sound that positively reflect upon it. The supplemental material is both complimentary and interesting especially if you're a fan of the film. Those who have been awaiting its arrival on Blu-ray Disc are in for a treat. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Enjoyed your review, Ralph. This is another of my favorite John Wayne movies (just picked up The Comancheros last weekend which I also really enjoyed).

It's nice to see older titles coming out more regularly on BR and available locally rather than having to be ordered from Amazon (picked up The Comancheros at Best Buy for $ 7.99).

Not surprised that you hadn't seen Hondo prior to your review. This was one of a few titles John Wayne's estate had been keeping on the shelf and only brought out for air a few years ago (one other being The High and The Mighty, as I recall).

I'll definitely be picking this up ASAP.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I saw Hondo a couple of decades ago, presented on network TV in analglyphic 3-D. Considered the inferior method, it was still very impressive. I agree Ralph, seems a worthy film to be released in 3-D Blu-ray.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Liked: 12
Nice review, I remember the early 3D attempt with this Wayne classic it was terrible. I'm a Wayne fan and Hondo is one of my all time favorites, under Farrows direction it's just enough of a step away from a typical Wayne flick to make it a stand out Page's performance and the cinematography is wonderful. I don't have any Wayne movies in BR but I may just start a collection with this one.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

One of the Duke's finest roles. Hated the 3D thing but when Hondo was finally released on dvd I snapped it up. Doubt if I'll bother with the blu-ray as the dvd looks good upconverted to my front projector by my Panny BD85.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Very nice review, Ralph.

Here's a link to an article that details the production history of the film and dispels a few myths about the 3-D release: http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/home/hondo-3-d-release

post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM

Hello everybody.

I'm from Belgium, french region

Can you say to me if the BR of HONDO as french subtitles also on the special features or only on the movie.

Thank you so much for your answer
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilash99 View Post

Hello everybody.
I'm from Belgium, french region
Can you say to me if the BR of HONDO as french subtitles also on the special features or only on the movie.
Thank you so much for your answer

Greetings,

I will double check but I am pretty certain the subtitles only apply to the film.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 11 Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Loved the Blu-Ray of this classic! I watched it using the 3D converter of my JVC RS45. Got some nice depth, although a bit of crosstalk. But no more than I got from the Imax 3D of "Prometheus" with the standard two camera 3D glasses. If you have the equpment for conversion, try it. It relies more on depth than in your face stuff. Great movie and spot on review!
post #10 of 11 Old 06-15-2012, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

Loved the Blu-Ray of this classic! I watched it using the 3D converter of my JVC RS45. Got some nice depth, although a bit of crosstalk. But no more than I got from the Imax 3D of "Prometheus" with the standard two camera 3D glasses. If you have the equpment for conversion, try it. It relies more on depth than in your face stuff. Great movie and spot on review!

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it capnvid. Thanks for the heads up on the 3D idea. I will have to give it a try.. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 AM

Hi, thank you very much for your review.

Could you please confirm me if 3D version is included in the blueray edition or in any edition?

I've looking everywhere for this thing but it is never clear said in any link.

Thanks again.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Hondo Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Hondo by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page