Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
f1fbead9_Ghostrider23D.jpeg
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Spanish DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Catalan Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Idris Elba, Ciaran Hinds, Vilante Placido, Christopher Lambert, Johnny Whitworth
Directed by: Neveldine/Taylor
Music by: David Sardy
Written by: Scott M. Gimple, Seth Hoffman, David S. Goyer
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 12, 2012

"The Rider is back…"

Film Synopsis:

Nicolas Cage returns as Johnny Blaze in GHOST RIDER™ SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE. Still struggling with his curse as the devil’s bounty hunter, Johnny is hiding out in a remote part of Europe when he is recruited by a secret sect of the church to save a young boy from the devil. At first, Johnny is reluctant to embrace the power of the Ghost Rider, but it is the only way to protect the boy and possibly rid himself of his curse forever.

My Take:

Campy or not I didn’t mind the first GR movie and as a Nicolas Cage fan I had to give Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance a shot. Well I did and unfortunately it’s pretty bad. The script is jumbled and weak, the action is fair but over staged and the production elements while decent offer nothing memorable. The narrative attempts to reboot the story but more or less descends into a boring series of encounters that features Cage having a number of acid trip like moments as he battles the dreaded one and his minion while trying to prevent him from taking over the body of a boy. I like Idris Elba and Ciaran Hinds but their talents were sorely wasted here. As for Nicholas Cage, I am still pulling for him and hope that he finds a part that can jump start his career. Unfortunately Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance isn’t it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of action and violence, some disturbing images and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

3D Presentation: 74

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.
This film wasn’t shot natively in 3D but was converted in post production for theatrical release. The film utilizes a mix of live action and CGI and the reproduction of the digital effects is quite good. Depth of field onscreen is appreciable as evidenced by separation of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background. Dimensionality and apparent resolution is rarely questionable regardless of the cameras perspective. Low level sequences appear dynamic with excellent contrast and refined blacks. There is a distinct lack of 3D effects that reach out beyond the screen. While I think that this presentation could have made better use of the 3D platform I don’t think that its implementation especially detracted from it. I didn’t notice any overt instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix makes regular use of the entire system and delivers near reference quality sound. This is an active soundtrack that features engaging bass response that reinforces the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music. The seamless integration of the front and rear channels creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by palpably rich low frequency effects. Clarity and detail are first rate as I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds mixed into the background. I didn’t find the film to be all that great however I enjoyed its lossless audio presentation.

Be sure to check out Lee's Review of the 2D Blu-ray HERE.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray – Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance (including the following bonus feature)

• (HD) Riding into another dimension (3D) – 7 minute featurette

• Disc 2 :

• 2D Blu-ray – Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance (including the following bonus features)

• Director’s expanded video commentary – In movie experience that provides an audio/video behind the scenes exploration of the film’s production

• (HD) 6 deleted scenes

• (HD) The path to vengeance - Making of Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance (6 featurettes)

1. Blazing a new path – 8 minutes
    2. Patience is not a virtue: Pre-production – 25 minutes
    3. We will burn this city to bitter ashes – 8 minutes
    4. To hell and back: Production – 23 minutes
    5. Walking in both worlds: Post-production – 15 minutes
    6. The fires of hell will purify you: Release – 8 minutes

Final Thoughts:

Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance is the follow up to Ghost Rider and features star Nicholas Cage in his reprisal of the iconic Marvel Comic character. Unfortunately the film suffers from an uninteresting plot, middling action and forgettable characters. It rumbles onto Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in this high definition 3D offering that features excellent video quality but lacks involving 3D effects. On the plus side the DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack shakes things up nicely and the bonus material contains exclusive content that offers fans a worthwhile peek behind the curtain. If you’re curious give this a rent otherwise Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance is a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-11-2012, 08:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I will avoid this at all costs...as I did the first one....what a shame !

Thanks for the review King P and thanks for taking yet another one for the team biggrin.gif
post #3 of 27 Old 06-11-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Campy or not I didn’t mind the first GR movie and as a Nicolas Cage fan I had to give Ghost Rider: Spirit of vengeance a shot. Well I did and unfortunately it’s pretty bad.

+1 - I'd echo that on every point. Wanted to like it, but it was pretty bad. And I'm usually pretty easy to please, can overlook quite a few missteps, but this one just didn't have much to like.

|
|
|
|
| Xbox Live: Atomic Hamper
post #4 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 06:22 AM

Liked: 32
Looked pretty bad on the previews. VUDU has a free 10 minute spot up that is just garbage and makes me NOT want to see the whole thing.
post #5 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 13
Nicholas Cage has gone to the darkside $$$$$$$

post #6 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
What has become of this actor's acting career?
As much as I like him and many of his past movies...I hope he can make a come back.

Gen Coupe 3.8 Track w/ bolts-on tune:

post #7 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Liked: 16
Ugh!. To bad,I guess I can remove this from my blockbuster que. I was hoping to see this movie. I kinda liked the first one also. Thanks for the review.
post #8 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDigitalGuy05 View Post

Ugh!. To bad,I guess I can remove this from my blockbuster que. I was hoping to see this movie. I kinda liked the first one also. Thanks for the review.

Greetings,

Since you already have it in your queue and you liked the first one might as well give it a rent. You never know...wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #9 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I just watched this. It's bad. I liked the first movie alright but it's a masterpiece compared to the sequel. I think this movie was an excuse for Nic Cage to act like Gary Busey.

(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #10 of 27 Old 06-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 16
haha,thanks ralph,i guess you're right. I'll put it back in my list and give it a go smile.gif thanks
post #11 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I really liked the first one but too many people who liked the first one are commenting about how bad the second film is. Thanks for the review. I'll pass.
post #12 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Liked: 10
Yup, enjoyed the first one. Watched this last night and yup, it was crap!
post #13 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Bad, Bad, Bad .. did I mention it was Bad .. ?? and not in a good way ..

Although, some of the bike scenes a la Mad Max were interesting .. and some of that LFE was nice ..

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #14 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I own the first Ghost Rider because of a great sound track, good animation sequences, tight skirts, etc. Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance was immediately removed from my queue when I read the following over at HDD awhile back.
Quote:
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
The second directorial decision that hinders the quality of 'Spirit of Vengeance' is their camerawork. Typically shot with hand-held cameras, we're constantly zooming in and out of shots and erratically moving around from actor to actor in single-shot conversations. The majority of what they do is up-close and herky-jerky. I can't imaging seasoned actors Nicholas Cage and Idris Elba watching this sort of camerawork taking place during their scenes without asking themselves, "What the hell are these guys doing?!"

post #15 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

Nicholas Cage has gone to the darkside $$$$$$$

Isn't Cage still working for the IRS?
post #16 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I like and own the first one. Glad I read the review and comments here before getting SOV. Looks like a Redbox rental at best.
post #17 of 27 Old 06-13-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Just finished watching this, the camera work gave me a headache and felt like it caused motion sickness, it just quickly flashed and blurred to each scene . The first GR was ok not great but it was rewatchable, the second GR is a total pass, not even worth watching when its on cable.
post #18 of 27 Old 06-14-2012, 07:09 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I should of read this review before i did my order at Amazon. I enjoyed the first one very much and after seeing the trailer of the second one i thought it would be just as good. I don't mind nic cage so hopefully i will get a different outcome after watching this movie.smile.gif

Frank

post #19 of 27 Old 06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I saw the first one and enjoy it.. I went to the see this one in the theaters a while ago and it is one of the few movies that I had to leave because I simply couldn't stand it... It is one of the worst movies that I have ever seen....

Chris.

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
post #20 of 27 Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
What can folks expect from Neveldine/Taylor, who were also involved in wrecking JONAH HEX.

post #21 of 27 Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Does anyone own the disk? I bought the 3D version from Walmart, and both disks are 2D, even though one is marked as 3D. My local Best Buy doesn't even have any 3D version in the store. I'm wondering if there is a recall?

Art
post #22 of 27 Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

What can folks expect from Neveldine/Taylor, who were also involved in wrecking JONAH HEX.

It isn't fair to blame them for Jonah Hex. They quit before production due to a dispute with the studio. They should just stick to R-rated films. PG-13 is ruining cinema in my view. Everything is bland and watered down to fit in to the rating.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-15-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

It isn't fair to blame them for Jonah Hex. They quit before production due to a dispute with the studio. They should just stick to R-rated films. PG-13 is ruining cinema in my view. Everything is bland and watered down to fit in to the rating.

I agree about the rating system...but if N/T had a dispute, could it be possible that HEX might possibly have been worse than what we eventually got?????

post #24 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 04:00 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
This film was horrible. Will be returning it. It was so bad I fell asleep.

Frank

post #25 of 27 Old 06-19-2012, 03:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Does anyone own the disk? I bought the 3D version from Walmart, and both disks are 2D, even though one is marked as 3D. My local Best Buy doesn't even have any 3D version in the store. I'm wondering if there is a recall?

Art

Bought the 3d from Walmart also. The 3D disc was 3D. I assume you have, but maybe check the player/TV settings? You can return it for the same movie.
post #26 of 27 Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfadams View Post

Bought the 3d from Walmart also. The 3D disc was 3D. I assume you have, but maybe check the player/TV settings? You can return it for the same movie.

Thanks!

I haven't checked anything since my player and projector are set to output 3d automatically. I've never had to play with the settings before. Even my 3D camera pictures come up in 3D as soon as one is selected. It must be a mislabeled disk.
post #27 of 27 Old 06-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Caveats: This was my first home 3D viewing and I only watched the first hour so far.

Verdict: The story isn't as bad as people had led me to believe, so far at least. The long periods of shambling around before eating a soul looked lame tho,

The 3d however blew us away. LOTS of great use of depth and if this is a converted movie you could knock me over with a feather. It is shot like it was meant to be shown in 3D.

Even the menus had awesome 3D effects.

If other disk releases are better than this then consider me a 3D convert.

Buncha savages in this town....

Sam Posten
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Ghost by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page