Jaws coming to Blu-ray for the first time in August - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 06-17-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
AcademyAward® Winner Steven Spielberg’s Iconic Summer Classic Comes to Blu-Ray for the First Time Ever, Digitally Remastered & Fully Restored in Honor of Universal’s 100th Anniversary Celebration

JAWS

On August 14th 2012, own the blu-rayTM combo pack with dvd, digital copy, ultravioletTM & over 4 hours of bonus features including an all-new documentary “the shark is still working”

Greetings,

The classic Steven Spielberg thriller that kept most of us out of the water is finally making its way to Blu-ray! Needless to say we can't wait for the opportunity to review it. I will keep you posted regarding when we expect to have it in hand. In the meantime here is the press release from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

One of the most influential motion pictures of all time and nominated for a Best Picture Academy Award®, JAWS stars Oscar® winner Richard Dreyfuss and Oscar® nominees Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw. Produced by legendary filmmakers Richard D. Zanuck and David Brown, the film earned an Oscar® for composer John Williams’ instantly recognizable minimalist score, as well as Oscars® for Best Editing and Best Sound. When it was first released in 1975, JAWS smashed box-office records and became the highest-grossing film of its era, earning Spielberg a reputation as a Hollywood visionary. Today, it remains one of the highest-grossing films in motion-picture history[1] and is largely considered the film that launched the summer blockbuster.

JAWS is one of 13 classic Universal films to be digitally remastered and fully restored from 35mm original film elements as part of Universal’s ongoing 100th Anniversary celebration. The JAWS restoration began with researching and evaluating the existing film elements to determine the best means to restore the film. Over the course of several months, skilled technicians at Universal Studios Digital Services meticulously balanced color, removed dirt and scratches, and repaired any damage to the film elements shot by shot and frame by frame. Following the picture restoration, Universal Studios Sound team up-mixed the iconic JAWS soundtrack to DTS-HD Master 7.1, optimizing the sound on the Blu-rayTM for the latest home theater technology. The entire restoration process was conducted in conjunction with Steven Spielberg and Amblin Entertainment’s post-production team to ensure the integrity of Spielberg’s original vision remained intact.

The JAWS Blu-ray™ Combo Pack is available in collectible Universal 100thAnniversary packaging for a limited time. The Combo Pack also contains a Digital Copy of the film for a limited time, compatible with iTunes®, iPad®, iPhone®, iPod™ touch, Android or online retail partners, as well as an UltraViolet™ copy. UltraViolet is the revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows in the cloud to download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Consumers can now truly enjoy their movies anytime, anywhere on the platform of their choice.

47e08f0d_025192128882_bluray_ws_2d_clr.jpeg

Blu-ray™ Bonus Features:

· The Shark is Still Working: The Impact & Legacy of JAWS: All-new feature-length documentary featuring never-before-seen footage and interviews with cast and crew including Steven Spielberg, Richard Dreyfuss and Roy Scheider.

· JAWS: The Restoration: An all-new, in-depth look at the intricate process of restoring the movie.

· The Making of JAWS: A two-hour documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.

· From the Set: An insider’s look at life on the set of JAWS, featuring an interview with Steven Spielberg.

· Deleted Scenes & Outtakes

· JAWS Archives: Take a peek inside the JAWS archives, including storyboards, production photos and marketing materials, as well as a special segment on the JAWS phenomenon.

· Original Theatrical Trailer

· UltraViolet™: The revolutionary new way for consumers to collect movies and TV shows, store them in the cloud, and download and stream instantly to computers, tablets and smartphones. Currently available in the United States only.

· Digital Copy: Viewers can redeem a digital version of the full-length movie from a choice of retail partners to watch on an array of electronic and portable devices.

· pocket BLU™ App: The popular free pocket BLU™ app for smartphones is now even better with newly updated versions for iPad®, Android™ tablets, PC and Macintosh computers, with features made especially to take advantage of the devices’ larger screens and high resolution displays.

Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.
Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the film.
Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to their device or to stream from anywhere there is a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy content on the go, anytime, anywhere.
Browse Titles: Users will have access to a complete list of pocket BLU™-enabled titles available and coming to Blu-ray™. They can view free previews and see what additional content is available to unlock on their device.
Keyboard: Entering data is fast and easy with your device’s intuitive keyboard.

· BD-LIVE™: Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to access the latest trailers, exclusive content and more!

DVD Bonus Features:

· Spotlight on Location: The Making of JAWS: Highlights from the full-length documentary featuring interviews with key cast and crew.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I look forward to this puppy... I first saw this at a drive in eek.gif when I was a kid with my parents. I remember the speaker hanging inside the window and
hearing the horror verbrating thru the car. I didn't swim in the ocean or any lakes for several years...it scared me that much.

Thanks for the heads up King P !
post #3 of 26 Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 94
JAWS is one of 13 classic Universal films to be digitally remastered and fully restored from 35mm original film elements as part of Universal’s ongoing 100th Anniversary celebration. The JAWS restoration began with researching and evaluating the existing film elements to determine the best means to restore the film.

That sounds very, very good to my ears.

Over the course of several months, skilled technicians at Universal Studios Digital Services meticulously balanced color, removed dirt and scratches, and repaired any damage to the film elements shot by shot and frame by frame.
I think most here would question if the technicians handling Universal's Blu-rays could be characterized as "skilled".wink.gif

(last update: July 30, 2014)

post #4 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have the Jaws 30th Anniversary edition DVD . Would be interesting to see how well the Blu-Ray looks.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Definitely looking forward to watch it.

Frank

post #6 of 26 Old 06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Cant wait.
I think Jaws is right up there with the greatest movies of all time.
(Actually, I would vote it #1)

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #7 of 26 Old 06-20-2012, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So Jaws does look pretty good. The Sting seems to be another one for of the 100 year Anniversary editions. Any ideas(clues) as to what the other 11 are?

It ain't easy being green.

post #8 of 26 Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Cant wait.

Its definitely up there with the best of them and it has plenty of replay value.

Frank

post #9 of 26 Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Its definitely up there with the best of them and it has plenty of replay value.

Greetings,

Replay value to spare Frank! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 26 Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My favorite movie of all time. This one will get heavy play in my HT from day one onward.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #11 of 26 Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
Replay value to spare Frank! smile.gif
Regards,
Exactly smile.gif

Frank

post #12 of 26 Old 06-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
"We're going to need another home entertainment system."
post #13 of 26 Old 06-22-2012, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

"We're going to need another home entertainment system."

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

I love it..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 26 Old 06-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Liked: 10
Show me the way to go home (boom boom boom)
I'm tired and I want to go to bed
I had a little drink about an hour ago
And it went right to my head!
post #15 of 26 Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

"The taxidermist is gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

biggrin.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #16 of 26 Old 06-24-2012, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
"We're gonna need a bigger TV"

biggrin.gif

PSN ID : AVS Dash
post #17 of 26 Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
"Farewell and adieu to ye fair Spanish ladies...."
post #18 of 26 Old 06-26-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

"That's some bad hat Harry...."

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 26 Old 06-26-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

Cant wait.
Well...it's Spielberg's greatest, anyway (IMO).

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #20 of 26 Old 06-27-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Let's just wait one doggone minute here! Do we have confirmation that we're not gonna get a digitally enhanced shark? biggrin.gif
post #21 of 26 Old 07-01-2012, 04:10 PM

Jaws Restoration from Universal Studios

post #22 of 26 Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 164
"we're gonna get a bigger boat, right?!" (yep he says it a second time heading back out of the cabin)

sorry, but couldn't resist just one more.

It's just one of those lines you (or someone else) drops and you cannot help but smile your a$$ off.

right there with: "I can do anything. I'm the chief of police."

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #23 of 26 Old 07-05-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

"we're gonna get a bigger boat, right?!" (yep he says it a second time heading back out of the cabin)
sorry, but couldn't resist just one more.
It's just one of those lines you (or someone else) drops and you cannot help but smile your a$$ off.
right there with: "I can do anything. I'm the chief of police."
James

Greetings,

Absolutely! biggrin.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #24 of 26 Old 07-05-2012, 07:16 PM

After watching the video in post #21, I can't wait to see the blu!!
post #25 of 26 Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa View Post

After watching the video in post #21, I can't wait to see the blu!!

Agreed, but the skeptic in me is a little worried about the number of times Spielberg kept insisting along the lines of "it's still the same movie you love, just better!" Sure, there's no digital shark, but there comes a point when you've stopped cleaning up the original to make it look and sound like it did when it was released, and you've started fixing things that should be left alone.

I'll give Spielberg the benefit of the doubt on this, mostly because he's been pretty good in the past (and waaaaay better than Lucas). Even when he mucked around with the effects in ET, he recognized that the original still had value and gave us both versions on the DVD. With the Indiana Jones DVDs, his worst offense was erasing the metal rails for the big rock and the reflection of the cobra in the glass in Raiders - not a huge deal. I didn't see anything major in this video to worry about along those lines, but if the color correction was a little off in the original print and has been that way for the last 35 years, just leave it alone.

Sound design is trickier. In a perfect world, we'd get a restored mono audio track as an option at least [EDIT: The original mono mix is included as a DTS 2.0 track. Huzzah!], but again, these are minor quibbles compared to CGI Jabba or Han shooting first. The surround sound conversion looks to be very well done as well, so that's a good sign, but you can't say your restoring the original theatrical experience on one hand, and say you're improving it on the other. One key thing that bugged me: bumping up the sound levels for shark's death roar strikes me as a potentially significant departure from the original version. I remember the roar always being a very muted and subtle effect, one that I didn't even pick up on until multiple viewings. I'm not sure it's supposed to "pop."

All told, despite all my crankiness, I'm really looking forward to this release. The DVD transfer is excellent, and the Bluray looks to be a significant improvement from that. Color me cautiously optimistic.

post #26 of 26 Old 07-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
...The DVD transfer is excellent, and the Bluray looks to be a significant improvement from that. Color me cautiously optimistic....

When did they do the telecine work for the DVD? If you watch their Blu-Ray restoration video, native quality of the negative scans was pretty bad due to aging, and took a lot of postwork to get the contrast corrected. Negative film was scanned on an Oxberry scanner at either 4K or 6K, so they're probably working with much higher resolution material than what was available when they authored the DVD.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jaws Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet Universals 100th Anniversary , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - 100th by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page