Studio and Year: Warner - 2012
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 88/94 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio. English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Thomas Mann, Oliver Cooper, Jonathan Daniel Brown, Kirby Bliss Blanton
Directed by: Nima Nourizadeh
Written by: Matt Drake & Michael Bacall
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 19, 2012

"The party you’ve only dreamed about"

Film Synopsis:

“Project X” follows three seemingly anonymous high school seniors as they attempt to finally make a name for themselves. Their idea is innocent enough: let’s throw a party that no one will forget… but nothing could prepare them for this party. Word spreads quickly as dreams are ruined, records are blemished and legends are born. “Project X” is a warning to parents and police everywhere.

My Take:

My teenage son told me he wanted to check out Project X should I receive it for review. He said it looked good but other than that my only knowledge of it came only from the glimpses I had seen from the trailer (which didn’t inspire confidence). Project X is a teen comedy that revolves around three dorky high school seniors looking to make a name/rep for themselves by throwing a shindig. The three main characters are essentially derived from the typical teen archetypes associated with comedies of this sort. There is Thomas, the party host, a likeable easily manipulated kid who longs for popularity status. Costa, the party facilitator, a rather obnoxious, overly confident tool, that routinely manipulates Thomas in furtherance of his own agenda. JB, the slightly overweight Costa minion who aptly serves in the sidekick role in the hopes of getting any possible female attention that could result from the purported potential in Costa’s actions.

It’s Thomas’ birthday and his parents are heading out of town for their wedding anniversary celebration. He is given the keys to their old minivan as a gift along with permission to have a “few” friends over for pizza to celebrate. Needless to say Costa has other ideas and concocts a plan for the party to end all parties in the hopes of scoring with the ladies and cementing his status among the popular crowd. Thomas has reservations about who/how many should be invited but acquiesces once assured by Costa that it would be no more than fifty people. The night of the party arrives and starts out slowly. Unfortunately for and unbeknownst to Thomas Costa turned to the internet for promotion of the party which results in a turnout that not only far exceeds their planning/expectations but places his home and neighborhood under siege by a multitude of partygoers that care little for propriety. Things quickly unravel leaving Thomas, Costa and JB holding a rather large bag of crap with ramifications well beyond their wildest imaginations.

Wow. This “film” reminds me more of reality TV/teen “Jackass” set to the found footage genre that has become popular of late. I knew where things were headed when the film opened with a disclaimer regarding the acts/stunts featured being performed by qualified personnel/actors etc. There isn’t much call for acting on the part of the principles as the goal is clearly obvious, get to the night of the party and unleash as much teen crazed party mayhem as possible. This includes the depiction of overtly reckless acts that are perfect for stimulating thoughts of emulation from teen audiences with nothing better to do. Other than maybe Thomas and his female BFF Kirby I didn’t find anything redeeming in the characters or the storyline. The dialogue is coarse and serves only to fuel the outlandish situations that follow. The humor is predominantly of the shock type that elicits an initial reaction followed by astonishment at just how far things are spiraling. By the end the escalation of events was so excessive that it stretched well beyond reasonableness which left me numb and disinterested. Conceptually speaking there is nothing new here however some creative writing could have resulted in a better film. As it stands Project X is an underwhelming, unrefined and capitalizing film that doesn’t even qualify as passable mindless entertainment. Both the theatrical version and an extended cut (which adds six minutes) are included in this Xtended Blu-ray combo pack.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for crude sexual content throughput, nudity, drugs, drinking, pervasive language, reckless behavior and mayhem – All involving teens.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Project X comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2 Mbps.

Shot digitally this presentation utilizes an intentionally stylized look intended to convey the looking through the lens perspective associated with the found footage genre. This includes periods of shaky camera work and varying chromatic ranges that occasionally impart images with a flatter less dynamic appearance. Blacks are fairly strong and detail in dark areas and shadowy backgrounds is excellent. Resolution is good overall however due to the nature of the photography definitive sharpness and fine detail perception ebbs and flows. These instances don’t completely inhibit the ability to visually delineate physical features and the structure of objects within the frame but does slightly diminish it. In terms of how this presentation holds up compared to other found footage films on Blu-ray I would say that it is in the middle of the pack.

The lossless audio presentation renders the source elements with enriching clarity and punchy dynamics. Dialogue and front channel audio is delivered with clear vocal presence and discerning imaging. The surrounds aren’t active at all times but support the front oriented presentation where appropriate and adds extension to the film’s music and atmospherics. The extended party sequences are underscored by thumping techno rhythms that contain robust bass extension that occasionally dips into deep low frequency ranges. Otherwise there is little about this surround mix that makes it remarkable.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical & Extended Cut of Project X

• (HD) Project X: Declassified – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Project X: Pasadena three – 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Project Xpensive: Tallying up the damage – 3 minutes

• Bonus DVD – Project X

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Project X stretches the limits of acceptability and is a poor excuse for a teen comedy. I have a fairly high tolerance for offbeat filmmaking but found this to be an underwhelming, unrefined and capitalizing movie that doesn’t even qualify as passable mindless entertainment. It makes its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring satisfying high definition audio/video quality and a middling supplemental offering that adds little. Fans of the film will appreciate the inclusion of both the theatrical and extended versions of the film. For me Project X is a swing and a miss. It is clearly not a film for everyone but if you’re curious a rental will more than suffice.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for taking yet another for the team King P.... saw the previews and knew where this was headed, I'll save my money on this dreck ! smile.gif
post #3 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 04:16 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 250
This is another blind buy i ordered before your review Ralph biggrin.gif. Oh well hopefully it will be better than ghost rider 2.

Frank
post #4 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I pass on this. Thanks, Ralph.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I actually really liked this movie. No Oscar winner, but if going into it with the right frame of mind, I think it's enjoyable. I'll proly grab this one. Thanks Mr. Potts.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-19-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
As usual, Ralph was spot on with his review.
One and a half stars is right where I'd put this one also.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #7 of 15 Old 06-22-2012, 10:11 PM
CIH USER

I enjoyed this for what it was a fun film. I wish i was younger and could attend a party like that biggrin.gif

Frank
post #8 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I liked it a lot. Of course it is over the top, but I think that was the whole point of the film: How far will it go?

Most who post on here are not in the main demographic for this type of film anyway. (I'm in my 50's, but maturity was never my strong suit. wink.gif )

Ralph, I can understand your viewpoint based on your field of employment. I felt the depiction of law enforcement was the weakest part of the film. My 24 year daughter felt the same way.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

Ralph, I can understand your viewpoint based on your field of employment. I felt the depiction of law enforcement was the weakest part of the film. My 24 year daughter felt the same way.

Greetings,

Thanks adpayne. I did find it hard to remain completely objective in that regard.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #10 of 15 Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

I liked it a lot. Of course it is over the top, but I think that was the whole point of the film: How far will it go?
Most who post on here are not in the main demographic for this type of film anyway. (I'm in my 50's, but maturity was never my strong suit. wink.gif )

Ralph was a cop? Might explain the review (though I have not seen this and am not judging. And I'm also aware others seem to find little to recommend, so no offense to anyone is intended). While I'm past the target demo for this movie, I may be more open to it than most...having been lucky enough to grow up pre-Reagan, when the drinking age was 18 and the police , when encountering kids who've had too much, made sure they got home okay...as opposed to today where they arrest you, throw you in jail, steal your car, take your license and charge you three different types of fines. Again, I'm not trying to impugne anyone's livlihood...but we are living in a more repressive time today where everything is shocking to many people...so I wonder how "shocking" anything in this movie might be to some of us who came of age during a freer time. (Shock value might be the ONLY thing this disc offers!) Actually, I'm more curious as to what the extended edition adds. More character or more excess?

post #11 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 51
To bump an old topic smile.gif I picked this up in my local supermarket at the weekend for £8 for the Triple Play (Blu Ray / DVD / UV) Extended Cut version, several £ cheaper than Amazon!

Although I am also now past the target demographic by about 15 years, if you remove your brain and imagine how you would want to deliver the party to end all parties, regardless of consequences or legality, this comes close to covering most of the madness that you would imagine would ensue tongue.gif lol

A plus point for me was the fact that the disc navigation menus and opening to the film have no indication of the bass within until it kicks hard and somewhat unexpectedly, so it is a good film for surprising guests who have come round to see it and aren't aware of your AV system's output smile.gif (My sub is now behind the TV and in an alcove, completely out of sight, so I may well use it for this purpose!)

Another plus point is that it is shot in full 16:9, so you can enjoy a full screen of image as the director intended, with no need to use 16:9 Overscan or similar, or use a Zoom mode if you are running in your plasma (which I am) and want to avoid uneven screen ageing from black bars at the top and bottom.

The LFE is also some of the deepest and most 'rolling' that I've heard since I've had the Plasma/Blu Ray/Optical Digital cabling set up, although I've only had it set up about 3 weeks now and have yet to re-watch all the films I've prevously watched on DVD with analogue cabling, so I would not take this observation too seriously.

Overall I thought it was a fun friday evening, no-brain-involved film - certainly won't win awards for anything other than ridiculousness biggrin.gif but it was enjoyable nevertheless.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-10-2013, 01:21 AM
CIH USER

I wish I was 19 smile.gif

Frank
post #13 of 15 Old 02-23-2013, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I wish I was 19 smile.gif
LOL, I told my wife the same thing during one scene with the hottie wink.gif

I read other reviews that this movie was not highly rated by the critics, but I have to say I loved it! Great LFE and just has that new age young stupid comedy. This movie "to me" resembles Superbad. Again, I loved it and would watch it again.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-06-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Actually had people leave my house when I put this on. I stuck it out just to see just how much worse it could get and I wasn't let down in the slightest.

More than deserved every one of the horrendous reviews it received.

"remove your brain".

Yep- along with any reverence for originality and humor- that sounds about right.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #15 of 15 Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

LOL, I told my wife the same thing during one scene with the hottie wink.gif

I read other reviews that this movie was not highly rated by the critics, but I have to say I loved it! Great LFE and just has that new age young stupid comedy. This movie "to me" resembles Superbad. Again, I loved it and would watch it again.

Definitely has replay value for me

Frank
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page