Starring: Nicolas Cage, Harold Perrineau, Guy Pearce, January Jones
Directed by: Roger Donaldson
Music by: J. Peter Robinson
Written by: Todd Hickey, Robert Tannen
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 19, 2012

Vengeance always has a price.

Film Synopsis:

After his wife is assaulted, a husband enlists the services of a vigilante group to help him settle the score. Then he discovers they want a 'favor' from him in return.

My Take:

Roger Donaldson is an interesting director, with a career spanning over 30 years, has a consistently made good films, but never made it to the ranks of being a great director. He has brought us The Bounty, Cocktail, Species, Thirteen Days, and The Bank Job among many others. He certainly spans genre, but has not mastered any one. Seeking Justice is a perfect film for his track record, with his requisite good cast and production values, but just missing the mark of being better than average.

In New Orleans, teacher Will Gerard (Nicholas Cage), and his wife's (January Jones) life is thrown upside down when she is brutally assaulted. While visiting her in the hospital Will meets a named Simon (Guy Pearce) who offers to take care of the assailant, but tells him that he might be called upon to do a return favor for his "organization" one day. In desperation Will accepts the deal and becomes indebted to an organization that is spinning out of control.

Seeking Justice was a fun watch, but equally as frustrating because it could have been something more. Nicholas Cage was on his mark here, as was the cast as a whole. The story was strong, but the whole package didn't wrap up as nicely as it could have. Even with its lack of suspense, which is really what it was shooting for, I was still interested in the characters enough to see it all play out. If Donaldson could have wound it all a bit tighter, Seeking Justice might have been more than a rental when your queue is running low.

Parental Guide:

Violence, language and brief sexuality

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Seeking Justice comes to Blu-ray disc from Anchor Bay/Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.1 mbps Dolby TrueHD MA 5.1 lossless surround sound that has a average bitrate of 4.0 mbps.

Seeking Justice is a looker, with audiophile and videophile reference quality A/V. Finer details are apparent on foreground and background imagery, black levels are outstanding as are colors and flesh-tones. I noticed no fault here, enjoying ever frame. Audio is it's equal, with a dynamic and enveloping sound mix. Dialouge is perfectly placed and articulate, and surrounds are used with care, creating a believable sound-stage. LFE hits deep and low with a smooth rounded sound, adding to the already impressive mids and crisp top end.

Bonus Features:

• Seeking Justice: Behind the Scenes (7m)

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• DVD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Seeking Justice was seeking to be more than a pedestrian triller, but never reached the heights that is story and cast were capable of. I suggest a rental as it was entertaining enough for a spin, and Anchor Bay treats us to superlative audio and video quality.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
M&K S-150MKII LCR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Thanks Lee!
I'm not a big Nicholas Cage fan, but it looks like you hit one that is quite worthy of a viewing (even if only for the AQ/PQ....

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Lee, thanks for the review. This one slipped under my radar, hadn't heard a thing about it. Wife and I watched a rental last night and it was a by-the-numbers thriller but with a few twists. Decent action scenes especially the highway one. Definitely a rental unless you're a hard-core NG fan.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

Old 06-20-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually i kind of liked this one. I wonder if something like this exists somewhere in the world today? biggrin.gif
Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This Blu-Ray took me by suprise and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought it would. January Jones has her best screen role that I've ssen her in. Roger Donaldson has made, in my mind, two great films. "The Bank Job" and "Species," which was the best creature film of the 90s. "The Bounty" was very well done and had a spectacular cast. Robert Bolt's screenplay was cut in half by Dino DeLaurentis, which kept it from being the masterpiece David Lean had in mind before he dropped out and was replaced by Donaldson. His work in "Extreme Justice" is very well done and makes the film more than it could have been with an average director. One dude's opinion.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One of Nicholas Cage's better films in the last year or so. Enjoyed it - and would recommend a watch for sure...

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Seeking Justice Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo