post #1 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 606
On September 18th, The man with the hat comes home looking better than ever

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures

INDIANA JONES: THE COMPLETE ADVENTURES ARRIVES ON BLU-RAY™ FOR THE FIRST TIME, COMPLETELY REMASTERED AND INCLUDING A METICULOUSLY RESTORED VERSION OF RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

In June of 1981 director Steven Spielberg and executive producer George Lucas introduced the world to Indiana Jones when the unforgettable Raiders of the Lost Ark debuted in theaters. Exploding to instant acclaim, the film has now been carefully restored, alongside remastered versions of the archaeologist’s other thrilling adventures—Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Prepare for excitement, adventure and snakes—why did it have to be snakes?—all with pristine picture and sound when INDIANA JONES: The Complete Adventures debuts on Blu-ray September 18, 2012 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Media Distribution.

Supervised by director Steven Spielberg and renowned sound designer Ben Burtt, Raiders of the Lost Ark has been meticulously restored with careful attention to preserving the original look, sound and feel of the iconic film. The original negative was first scanned at 4K and then examined frame-by-frame so that any damage could be repaired.

The sound design was similarly preserved using Burtt’s original master mix, which had been archived and unused since 1981. New stereo surrounds were created using the original music tracks and original effects recorded in stereo but used previously only in mono. In addition, the sub bass was redone entirely up to modern specifications and care was taken to improve dialogue and correct small technical flaws to create the most complete and highest quality version of the sound possible while retaining the director’s vision. The result is an impeccable digital restoration that celebrates the film and its place in cinematic history.

The installments in the franchise have won a combined seven Academy Awards®. Relive every heart-pounding thrill like never before as all four films arrive together, for the first time presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio accompanied by a collection of documentaries, interviews, featurettes and new bonus features.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the heads up, Ralph! This is exciting news for me. I'm so glad that Raiders was given the treatment it deserves. Can't wait! smile.gif
post #3 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman4 View Post

Thanks for the heads up, Ralph! This is exciting news for me. I'm so glad that Raiders was given the treatment it deserves. Can't wait! smile.gif

Greetings,

Yup! I am excited as well..cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Yea. This a buy. I like the fact that they are releasing films like this for the first time. Like Jaws and some of the others that were mentioned before. I will pick these up for sure. It sounds like they are really working hard to make them worth while. I really liked the part where they said the audio is basically being re-done.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #5 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 120
I NEED MORE VACATION TIME!!!
post #6 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm glad theyre useing the original sound elements for the restoration. Really looking forward to this set. Day 1 purchase for me.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-28-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Excellent - about time!!

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #8 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I hate to keep buying new releases of the Indiana Jones movies, but this one seems pretty much like a "must have" to me...

Thanks for the info, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #9 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Ha! Suckers! (j/k) this is pretty exciting, BUT...it says the originals were scanned at 4K. To anyone reading between the lines, this means "we're gonna stick ya AGAIN when 4K blu-ray hits shelves" And, they won't have to do any downscaling (extra work and time) so it should take like 7 months instead of 7 years for them to get around to to 4K version!
quad4.0 likes this.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottscb View Post

Ha! Suckers! (j/k) this is pretty exciting, BUT...it says the originals were scanned at 4K. To anyone reading between the lines, this means "we're gonna stick ya AGAIN when 4K blu-ray hits shelves" And, they won't have to do any downscaling (extra work and time) so it should take like 7 months instead of 7 years for them to get around to to 4K version!

IMO, BD offer a pretty darn good picture at the moment. The 4K theory? To me that's like playing the $10 million dollar lottery, winning, and having someone call you a sucker for playing because they're coming out with a $20 million dollar lottery.
post #11 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

IMO, BD offer a pretty darn good picture at the moment. The 4K theory? To me that's like playing the $10 million dollar lottery, winning, and having someone call you a sucker for playing because they're coming out with a $20 million dollar lottery.

Horrible analogy. Every million is worth it and you can buy something different with each one. But they are going to re-release the SAME movie in 4K. People who buy the same movie at every denomination of resolution (1080p, 1085p, 1090p lol) are suckers. Movies could have been released in 4K long ago, but the studios' accounting departments, and the electronics makers, decided that it's best to release intermediate resolutions first in order to milk money from the repeat-buying suckers. They are shortchanging you on purpose!! And you people keep falling for it, thereby ensuring that they will continue shortchanging you!!
post #12 of 31 Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well, we better not buy any movies, then. A higher resolution might be just around the corner. For that matter, we better not buy any gear, because the stuff we get will be outmoded. We'll have no movies or gear, but at least we won't be suckers.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-30-2012, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

Well, we better not buy any movies, then. A higher resolution might be just around the corner. For that matter, we better not buy any gear, because the stuff we get will be outmoded. We'll have no movies or gear, but at least we won't be suckers.

+1

S/He can sit around revelling in the fact that s/he is not a sucker.

Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying the movies in the best consumer grade version available for many months/years to come.

Enjoy your non-suckerness.
post #14 of 31 Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM

post #15 of 31 Old 06-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 58
I've got this bundle on my price watch list and will pre-order if a really good deal comes along, but for now they are keeping the price jacked up a bit too steep for me.

oz
post #16 of 31 Old 07-01-2012, 02:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Anxiously awaiting this.

As for it being released in 4k, there are several things to consider:
a) remastering houses may scan old movies at 4k because it gives them more control in restoration, much the way audio mastering may be done at sample rates far beyond anything audible to humans (256kHz/32bit or higher), but what matters is what's discernible in the final product.
b) these movies are comparatively old and were shot on film, not native 4k digital. The film resolution may or may not show tangible benefit from a 4k transfer.
c) as others have already pointed out, it's always possible to sit and wait for the next big thing, but some of us are more than happy to enjoy what is available here and now. A 4k transfer of the Indy series won't be available for years. By that time, I'll have watched the BD set approximately 20 times. biggrin.gif

Max
post #17 of 31 Old 07-01-2012, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
The "for the first time in High Definition" literally made me laugh at my monitor. When did high definition displays start becoming available? Somewhere around 1995?!!

These kinds of inexplicable delays would not be tolerated in ANY other industry, and yet in this one they are considered the norm! People born in 1995 are old enough to drive cars now! When are you people going to stand up against these art-stealing tyrants? These movies are a part of American culture, they belong to you! Demand to not be shortchanged and to see them at their best within a reasonable time period!
post #18 of 31 Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Why was only the first film restored? Are Temple of Doom and Last Crusade in such better shape?

Walt O

Attorneys are like magicians; our shows are expensive and most people have no idea how we did it.
post #19 of 31 Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Ug man, this set was actually released on DVD when bluray was already out right?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #20 of 31 Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 PM

> To anyone reading between the lines, this means "we're gonna stick ya AGAIN when 4K blu-ray hits shelves"

Prediction: 4K home video will never happen
Fallback: if it does, it won't be on physical media
Bottom line: if it is on media, the DRM will make you wish it weren't

BD today is essentially theatrical quality. It has only 5% less static res than 2k DCI, and I never see anyone complaining about the substantially lower bit rate.

Most "full HD" homes have a viewing distance where they can barely distinguish between SD and HD. The number that will ever be able to distinguish between HD and 4K will never be more than a niche market (not even at LaserDisc adoption levels). If we move to head-mounted/wearable displays, this could change.

Physical media is fading. CD wasn't replaced by sonically superior polycarbonate, but by inferior streaming/download formats. Convenience kills quality, almost every time.

4k media would require a substantial increase in storage density. That could be put to more productive use than 4k, such as 3D with less compression and/or longer run times.

I buy almost all my BDs used on eBay for under $10. Ditto for our Wii games. Hollywood hates that. Watch the game consoles. The next gen may very well kill the resale market for game media. Whatever lock-down they implement would certainly show up on home 4k media as well. Maybe even pay-per-view. It costs a lot to keep a Beverly Hills lawyer supplied with coke.
post #21 of 31 Old 07-05-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
\\Prediction: 4K home video will never happen\\

I've said it a million times, never say never. My computer science teacher said that Intel would never make a processor faster then an Intel Pentium 100mhz.

\\4k media would require a substantial increase in storage density. \\

When I bought my first 40 meg hard drive I couldn't imagine that I would be running 40 TB arrays just 20 years later. That is:

40,000,000 vs

1,000,000 times increase at an exponential rate

Or how about removable media in 10 years:

Floppy: 1,400,000
Bluray: 40,000,000,000

28,571 times increase at an exponential rate.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke
post #22 of 31 Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 AM

>> Prediction: 4K home video will never happen

> I've said it a million times, never say never.

Why would you want home 4K?
I might go 3D, and to a larger screen (50 to 70in), but unless head-mounted displays take over, I don't ever expect to have a home theatre which would allow me to even see the difference between 1.9K (BD) and 4K. And a huge amount of source material gets zero or negative benefit from a 4K scan (e.g. Techniscope, titles with 2K effects, etc.).

Your PC analogy fails because:
  1. we've been able to take obvious advantage of the PC advancements so far, and
  2. notice that PC screens have also pretty much topped out at 1.9K (in fact, they hit 1920x1200 and backed off to 1920x1080). You have to go to some trouble to get a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 screen, and personally, I could use a 2560 30in. Apple's Retina initiative might change this, or not.

> My computer science teacher said that Intel would never make a processor faster then an Intel Pentium 100mhz.

I suspect that Intel actually had a plan to artificially limit x86 (then 32-bit) to about 300 MHz, so as to force the world to IA-64 (Itanium). AMD's Athlon accelerated the MHz race, and AMD64 both forced Intel to do x86-64, and sunk Itanic.

But to circle back to the topic ...

So why was a 4K remastering of the IJ films done?
  • Creating a master for a 3D conversion is a possibility, but I actually think that ...
  • The industry considers 4K to be an acceptable archival format, and it's much easier to preserve than film.
  • To the extent that theatrical exhibition still matters, 4K is viable there.
  • Home 4K is the least likely reason.
post #23 of 31 Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post

>> Prediction: 4K home video will never happen....
Looks like you are too late AND incorrect.biggrin.gif

TimeScapes
post #24 of 31 Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 AM

William: > timescapes

That looks like "the exception that proves the rule" rolleyes.gif
The rule being, and let me say it more precisely,
"mass market home 4K will never happen".

The TimeScapes 4K is primarily sold on SD and HD media, i.e., not 4K.

They had to down-sample it for 2560 x 1440p and 2880 x 1620 monitors, which are not TV monitors, and also not 4K.

The full 4K version is only available as a 31GB MP3 on a $100 USB stick or a $300 HDD, which is not surprising given that there's no 4K media format yet.

Of course, to play the 4K, you need a 4K display or projector ($8K and up), and a processor of unspecified high capability that can unpack and stream that MP3 through an HDMI 1.4 high-end video card like an AMD 7000 series (and not all HDMI 1.4 devices can do 4K).

Can a 4K physical medium be done? Sure

Can the cost of 4K hardware be driven down to sane levels? Sure

Is there enough market potential for 4K to show up at Target? No,
and it appears that BD has already peaked there, and shelf space for it is now shrinking.

One site has data showing that BD revenue growth has already flat-lined, and the market penetration is slowing and may not exceed 30%. You won't get the remaining 70% to jump to 4K when they won't even move to HD. I suspect the 3D numbers are even more sobering. The tech can be done. There's just not enough market pull to get it into a RedBox near you.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post

William: > timescapes
That looks like "the exception that proves the rule" rolleyes.gif
The rule being, and let me say it more precisely,
"mass market home 4K will never happen"....

Was just jesting while pointing out the 4K software/hardware can be had today. However I do disagree with the it "never will happen" theory (never say never, especially when it comes to technology) . While it will be a few yeas, it is impossible for me to imagine in a technical world that is progressing exponentially that TV's will be frozen at 1080 for the next 5, 10, 25 or 50 years and beyond. I bet in 25 years we will see types of technology displays that we can't even foresee today. After all just 25 years ago HD (ATSC 1080) was a dream and almost 10 years away from the first public broadcast. Already my 10" iPad has 1,000,000,000 more pixels than my 133" projector. While I agree that the movie industry will resist initially running scared and behind.However as the 4K (and then 8K) user base increases and a standard delivery method(s) or agreed upon (probably cloud) the studios will jump at the chance to "re-dip" us at 4K and 8K/beyond after that.

You will see several 4K TV's shown at CES and for sale by this time next year. In just a couple of years 4K will be as prevalent as 3D in TV's is today. The electronics industry is out to sale more TV's and 4K will be their next big selling point and where hardware goes software will follow.
post #26 of 31 Old 07-09-2012, 12:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 283
The problem with 4k (and/or higher) is that folks mistake evolutionary progression with discernible benefit.

Yes, technology advances rapidly, like increased storage capacity, (10 years ago a 256MB Compact Flash card cost $200+ and a 512MB was the biggest available and cost $500. Now we have micro-SD cards that hold wayyyyy more and are a minute fraction of the size) and faster processors. I remember the debut of the original Pentium 55MHz 20 years ago (as well as the Commodore 64 64kHz a little over a decade earlier).

But 4k is quite a different animal than those. We can always use faster processors, and more storage, but there are limitations to the benefits of higher resolutions. Not only with the eye's ability to see the difference at average screen widths, but in the transfer's native resolution. As I mentioned, some native film scans may not benefit from higher resolution scans, and a 55" screen isn't going to benefit from higher than 1080p resolution when viewed from more than 1.2x screen widths away. Folks with a 144" screen from 12' away or closer could see the benefit, but how many folks sit at 1x screen widths or less?

Max
post #27 of 31 Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
I don't see 4K taking off in the US .
Blue Ray is just now taking over the DVD isles in stores.
Broadcasters are compressing the heck out of what we have.
They can't even get 3D off and rolling do mainly to lack of content and disk cost.
post #28 of 31 Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
IF the BR is filled with DNR and EE I will stick with my SOLID 4 year old dvd set...
post #29 of 31 Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM

Liked: 14
What started as a good news thread from Ralph has devolved into a darn mess. Pity.
Can't wait to see Indy on BD! Good Times!
post #30 of 31 Old 07-11-2012, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

You mean it's coming out on BD? biggrin.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Indiana Jones The Complete Adventures Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Indiana by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version