Sony Pictures Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of David Leans Masterpiece: Lawrence of Arabia - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Sony Pictures Entertainment Celebrates: 50th Anniversary of David Lean’s Lawrence of Arabia
Academy Award® Winning Masterpiece Debuts in a Blu-ray™ Collectible Boxed Set November 13th
Digitally Restored Director’s Cut Hits the Big Screen October 4th &Turner Classic Movies to Feature Film on November 16th

Widely considered one of the greatest and most influential films in the history of cinema, David Lean’s masterpiece Lawrence of Arabia returns to the big screen 50 years after its 1962 premiere in a 4K digitally-restored version of the Director’s Cut. Following its international debut at Festival Du Cannes this past May, Lawrence of Arabia will screen nationwide in a digital-only theatrical event in theaters starting October 4th. The film will be available in a Blu-ray 3-disc collectible boxed set starting November 13th from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. Additionally, the film will be featured for one night only on Turner Classic Movies, November 16th at 8:00PM in a television exclusive. The U.S. premiere of the new restoration will take place in Los Angeles on July 19th with a special 4K presentation at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

d9dd1eb4_LawrenceofArabia.jpeg

Nominated for 10 Academy Awards®, winning seven, including Best Picture and Best Director and staring Best Actor nominee Peter O’Toole and Best Supporting Actor nominee Omar Sharif, the film is one of the crown jewels in the legacy of Columbia Pictures. “We wanted to return this film to as pristine a condition as possible to honor its anniversary release,” says Grover Crisp, EVP of Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering for SPE. The original camera negative was scanned at 8K and the film went through a painstaking process of repairing problems inherent to the 50-year old film elements. Using the latest digital imaging technology, the color grading and re-mastering was completed in 4K at Colorworks, Sony Pictures Entertainments’ digital intermediate facility. “The original negative was seriously damaged in a number of ways, some problems dating from the original release and some accumulated over the years.” says Crisp. “But, until now, we did not have the tools available to address these issues. We think fans of the film will be as amazed as we are at the detail and resolution in the imagery captured by cinematographer Freddie Young to compliment David Lean’s immaculate direction.”

We are thrilled that this epic film is coming to Blu-ray and look forward to covering its release in November!
greatartiste likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finally!

I consider this arguably the finest movie of all time.

I went to a Sony products special at Listen Up in Boulder, Colorado about 7 years ago to see the picture quality of Sony's new VW100 projecter. The demo that was shown was a scene from LOA in high definition from a hard drive. This was before Blu ray or HD DVD. It looked so fantastic at the time, I wound up buying the TV, and have been waiting ever since for LOA to be released on Blu ray.
greatartiste likes this.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 92
One of the best arguments for actually going to a movie theater is the famous scene where Lawrence of Arabia rides a horse directly towards the unmoving camera, starting as a tiny dot on the horizon and growing bigger and bigger until he fills the frame... The typical home theater screen isn't large enough to give the full impact of that shot.
greatartiste likes this.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #4 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
This is my absolute definitive favorite movie of all time. ( "Gladiator" being my fave of the recent 25 yers ) ....I've watched it in a triple figures amount of times in every format imaginable (except laser disc) and this will be a no-brainer automatic purchase. I own this in VHS, S-VHS, D-VHS, and SuperBit DVD. I've seen it in the theater as a child, recorded it multiple times from cable, PrimeStar satellite, Dish Network and Comcast. ...Finally, the anchor of my collection will be updated to complete the "priority" of the hi-def library. I have no doubt that when I feed this one to my Samsung un60es8000....it will be cinema heaven.
greatartiste likes this.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #5 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Many years ago I seen this movie at the newly restored Fox Theater in Detroit. The screen was immense. It was a glitzy red carpet event with spot-lights and sand dunes in the lobby. That was the first time I've seen this movie, and on that huge, huge screen. I was completely mesmerized. Ever since then this has been my #1 favorite movie.
greatartiste likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Liked: 12
looking forward to this. what an amazing movie!
post #7 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

One of the best arguments for actually going to a movie theater is the famous scene where Lawrence of Arabia rides a horse directly towards the unmoving camera, starting as a tiny dot on the horizon and growing bigger and bigger until he fills the frame... The typical home theater screen isn't large enough to give the full impact of that shot.
I disagree. The great and unique impact of this production, other than its artistic merits, was that it was shot and exhibited using 65mm film (the full 70mm film width included the six magnetic sound stripes). Very few movie goers today have enjoyed experiencing a full-length feature film projected in this glorious format. Relatively few feature films were ever shot this way, due to the higher production and distribution costs involved.

The scene you allude to is actually of Omar Sharif's character, Sherif Ali, riding on a camel in the distance. Lawrence and his Bedouin guide have stopped at a well, with each one on opposite ends of the 2.2:1 aspect ratio frame, watching the rider approach from within a mirage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKHXP_dCELE .

Even if projected in 4k, the 50th Anniversary re-release will not fully capture the full quality of the original film. It would have to be in 6k to 8k, 12 bit to 14 bit color, to approach the visual quality of 65mm at its best. IMAX film exceeds 65mm in quality, but no entire, full-length, feature film has been shot with IMAX cameras that I have heard of.

Largeness of the image is entirely in relation to how much of the viewer's field of view the picture occupies. Therefore, to achieve a bigger picture in a commercial cinema or home theater, all one needs to do is sit closer to the screen.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
mhobart and greatartiste like this.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 AM

Liked: 19
Excellent!

Hope to have my theater done in September. Will be picking this up for sure!
post #9 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB View Post

Even if projected in 4k, the 50th Anniversary re-release will not fully capture the full quality of the original film. It would have to be in 6k to 8k, 12 bit to 14 bit color, to approach the visual quality of 65mm at its best. IMAX film exceeds 65mm in quality, but no entire, full-length, feature film has been shot with IMAX cameras that I have heard of.

That assumes an original 65mm and not a second generation print.

Plus a digital projection has no film jutter.

Plus, only the first few viewings of the print would be scratch free until wear kicks in.

I think they'd have the potential to be pretty close in all but the best case scenarios, wouldn't they?
greatartiste likes this.

•

post #10 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM

Liked: 15
Amazon has the boxed set available for preorder for $67.19 with a list price of $95.99! I presume there will be a single disc version at a more reasonable price at a later date.

Gotta pay for the restoration cost.
greatartiste likes this.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I asked my wife to get me this for my birthday. I am 37, so I am young compared to some of the people who first watched this movie in the theater. I love this movie. I have watched this movie on DVD from start to finish three times. Now I have a child with one in the oven, I don't think I could ever do this again. This movie would take me a week to watch. I cannot wait to watch this on my VT30. biggrin.gif
greatartiste likes this.

X-Box Live name: OGgamer1974

If you want to be friends on through xbox network, just send me a request through X-Box Live and mention AVS in the request.

Cheers
post #12 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Quote:

That assumes an original 65mm and not a second generation print.

Plus a digital projection has no film jutter.

Plus, only the first few viewings of the print would be scratch free until wear kicks in.

I think they'd have the potential to be pretty close in all but the best case scenarios, wouldn't they?
Here's a link to an excellent article on film resolution that you should find of value: http://archiv.arri.de/4kplus-systems/index.htm .

I saw the last theatrical restored 70mm re-release in 1990 at an art film house in Dayton, Ohio. The print was in marvelous condition and I sat through the whole thing three times in a couple of months. The showings continued for several months and the theater's marketing campaign was reminiscent of the old months-long blockbuster roadshow engagements. They put a mannequin in Bedouin garb, on a full sized fake camel, on top of the marquee, over the front of the theater. The Dayton paper featured a multi-page historical and technical article about the making of the film, plus the features and technical benefits of 70mm technology. The 70mm print was in loving, dedicated hands. I don't recall there being hardly any scratches during any of the three viewings I experienced.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Scanned at 8K but released in 1080p. But of course AVS is happy with that, as always. frown.gif
post #14 of 20 Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 12
And what do you propose exactly? Invent a new format for this film right now, just because it was scanned at 8K? There will be 4 or 8K releases in the future, no doubt. In the meantime, stop bitching and let us enjoy the moment.
greatartiste likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone interested in seeing what a 70mm film looks like from an 8k scan on Blu-ray Disc, watch 'Baraka.'
greatartiste likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
We have a "funny sense of fun".... This is going to be simply amazing. I keep coming back to this thread to see if it was released...NOW!!!! smile.gif For me, it's the most anticipated release on bluray. I'll probably repeat myself a hundred times on this thread until then for therapeautic reason alone....
greatartiste likes this.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #17 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Here's a link to an excellent article on film resolution that you should find of value: http://archiv.arri.de/4kplus-systems/index.htm .
I saw the last theatrical restored 70mm re-release in 1990 at an art film house in Dayton, Ohio. The print was in marvelous condition and I sat through the whole thing three times in a couple of months. The showings continued for several months and the theater's marketing campaign was reminiscent of the old months-long blockbuster roadshow engagements. They put a mannequin in Bedouin garb, on a full sized fake camel, on top of the marquee, over the front of the theater. The Dayton paper featured a multi-page historical and technical article about the making of the film, plus the features and technical benefits of 70mm technology. The 70mm print was in loving, dedicated hands. I don't recall there being hardly any scratches during any of the three viewings I experienced.

Great article link, thanks!

I don't deny the resolution that can be captured off of 65mm is that high, it's just I've read in more than a few places that claims the jitter on the actual projection lowers the theoretical resolution that's possible in a presentation of it.

Good to hear the print you had the privilege to view was in very capable hands. :-)

•

post #18 of 20 Old 07-25-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

Quote:

Great article link, thanks!

I don't deny the resolution that can be captured off of 65mm is that high, it's just I've read in more than a few places that claims the jitter on the actual projection lowers the theoretical resolution that's possible in a presentation of it.

Good to hear the print you had the privilege to view was in very capable hands. :-)
There are perceived resolution losses, plus measurable losses, with motion picture content in any electronic display technology, as well. DLP 4k Digital Cinema projection will be superior at preserving resolution with motion pictures compared to the Sony 4k SXRD Digital Cinema units that currently are more prevalent in commercial cinemas around the country. I doubt the pace of upgrading to 4k in commercial cinemas will increase much in the next few months. Most venues that will host the digital re-release will likely still have 2k projection.
greatartiste likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Lawrence d’Arabie :

http://tcmcinema.fr/films/fiche/lawrence-of-arabia-1962_4455/

I am in france and I am fortunate to have TCM HD, the film is set in native HD for November: (restored version HD occasion of the 50th anniversary) .

(Trailers)

Pioneer LX 5090H + Démo G5  C+ Csat HD + DD et la TNT + Pioneer LX55 + Sony BD-S790 ... Pana 50 ST60 + PS3 BD + Pioneer BD320 ... CRT Philips 32 PW 9520 P+2 DNM + TNT Thomson DTI 652 + Pioneer DV 380 ... BR 137 .

post #20 of 20 Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Lawrence by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page