Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Drama/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect:
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Emma Roberts, Tamsin Egerton, Ophelia Lovibond, Shanika Warren-Markland, Michelle Ryan, Eve, Mandy Patinkin, Ben Miller, Kevin Smith, Alexander Siddig, Helen McCrory, Sean Pertwee, Noel Clarke
Directed by: Noel Clarke & Mark Davis
Music by: Adam Lewis & Barnaby Robson
Written by: Noel Clarke
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 31, 2012

"4 Girls. 3 Days. 2 Cities. 1 Chance…"

Film Synopsis:

This exciting crime thriller tracks 4 best friends over 3 days they’ll never forget. For hardworking Jo (Emma Roberts), adventurous Cassandra (Tamsin Egerton), defiant Kerrys (Shanika Warren-Markland) and troubled Shannon (Ophelia Lovibond), life changes forever when a chance encounter with some deadly thieves sends their worlds on a collision course with the players in a major diamond heist. With just one shot at the big time, what could possibly go wrong?

My Take:

The above synopsis from the studio doesn’t exactly describe the goings on in 4.3.2.1 although I wouldn’t say that it is necessarily inaccurate. This is a sort of sassy girl power flick that wants to be smarter than it actually is. The story revolves around four post teen girl buddies that inadvertently get caught in the middle after a group of low level thugs heist some diamonds and lose track of them. In reality that aspect of the storyline turns out to be more of an underlying subplot as the main focus follows each of the four girls in an interconnected six part narrative that is told via an opening segment which is followed by four separate sequences (one for each girl) with the final segment converging their paths.

While this style of storytelling is nothing new I liked the implementation here. The script contains elements of levity, drama and light action that work on some levels and fall flat on others. The four lead characters are typical archetypes but fit well within the film’s thematic tone. The dialogue and situations can be a little trite but I found the film’s edginess, quick cuts and femme fatale essence enjoyable. The problem is that there are some pretty obvious holes in the plot and there are instances where it diverges into downright silliness. I found that this ebbed and flowed over the course of the film. There were times where I found myself saying aloud “this is ridiculous” and others where I felt that it was firing on all cylinders. I found three of the four main characters to be likeable, especially Kerrys, who is as sexy as she is tough. There isn’t any gripping suspense or pulse raising action but there are a few moments that are fun to watch.

The cast gets the job done, all things considered, and there are several cameos that I found surprising. The best of which is Eve who appears in Cassandra’s segment. 4.3.2.1 has pluses and minuses that unfortunately don’t add up to a remarkable film. It isn’t devoid of merit and depending on your point of view could prove somewhat entertaining. For me it isn’t a movie that I would watch again but I found it interesting enough to hold my attention for two hours.

Parental Guide:

This film contains thematic material, language, violence, sexual content and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

4.3.2.1 comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 1.8 Mbps.

This is a great looking Blu-ray release from Universal that has a clean, polished look that falls just shy of the definitive delineation offered by the best high definition available on Blu-ray Disc. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. The color range sets the mood with either a purposely reserved palette or bolder chromatic emphasis. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yield crisp, bright whites and blacks are fairly deep and noise free. This is a pristine encoding that shows no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack renders the film’s elements with aplomb. This is a dialogue driven film however it contains active elements that have the ability to light up your room. The music commands the soundstage with high level resolution and percussive heavy techno rhythms that thump hard. While the surround mix isn’t necessarily aggressive the entire platform is regularly used to drive the story by generating atmospheric enhancement that comes in both subtle and direct form that can be involving. Detail and clarity are first rate which enhances the perception of spoken dialogue, low level effects and musical articulation even during active moments. This is a well balanced, fun and occasionally involving surround sound presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Making of 4.3.2.1 – 22 minute featurette

• My scenes bookmark feature

Final Thoughts:

4.3.2.1 is a middling crime thriller built around a sassy girl power story that works on some levels but suffers from plot holes and moments of inanity that prove distracting. It debuts on Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video quality, and rewarding DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The lone bonus supplement consists of bland making of feature that takes a peek behind the scenes. I didn’t dislike 4.3.2.1 but there is little about it that left an impression. I wouldn’t recommend it as a blind buy. A rental should suffice for curious viewers.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
NIce review Ralph. I'd never heard of this movie until it arrived on my doorstep and now I know why. Another middling affair from our friends in Hollywood smile.gif

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 4 Old 07-28-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

NIce review Ralph. I'd never heard of this movie until it arrived on my doorstep and now I know why. Another middling affair from our friends in Hollywood smile.gif

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. If you decide to spin it I'd like to hear your thoughts..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 4 Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
"Middling affair" describes this well. Agree with Ralph's review that there was little that left an impression. I would add the one exception was the overtly sexual nature of a couple of the girls - definitely would have been R rated. At the very least, that kept my attention.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , 4 3 2 1 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page