Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2011
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 150 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Anna Paquin, Mark Ruffalo, Matt Damon, J. Smith-Cameron, Jean Reno, Kiernan Culkin, Matthew Broderick, Allison Janney
Written & Directed by: Kenneth Lonergan
Music by: Nico Muhly
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 10, 2012

"A single moment can change your life"

Film Synopsis:

From Academy Award® nominated* writer/director Kenneth Lonergan (You Can Count On Me) comes this stirring drama. Anna Paquin, Matt Damon and Mark Ruffalo lead a celebrated cast in the story of a Manhattan teenager whose life is profoundly altered after witnessing a terrible accident. Experience an emotional teen’s extraordinary journey to set things right as her innocent ideals come crashing against the harsh realities of the adult world.

My Take:

Margaret centers on a 17-year-old New York City high-school student named Lisa who inadvertently has a hand in a bus/pedestrian traffic accident that claims a woman's life. After initially stating to investigators that the bus driver wasn’t at fault Lisa begins to suffer remorse/guilt after learning more about the accident victim. She attempts to set things right but finds that her credibility is seriously in question and those around her see little point in pushing the matter since it was after all an accident. Her personal life, which was already a bit shaky, begins to spiral as she clashes with her single mother, makes poor decisions involving her friends and seeks comfort in what seem to be all the wrong places. Frustrated, she embarks on a personal journey to see that this wrong is righted. At the end of the day Lisa will learn some very tough lessons about life and people.

At first glance Margaret would appear to be a fairly straight forward drama with a coming of age plotline revolving around a teenager who witnesses a tragedy that she may have inadvertently caused, lied about and struggles to make right. When I saw that the theatrical cut ran 150 minutes I knew that there was probably something more to it and I was right. Writer/director Kenneth Lonergan tells and emotively driven story from Lisa’s perspective as she deals with not only the ramifications of what happened but the ripple effect her actions have on those around her. This is most decidedly a character study with a moral center that is offset by a broad narrative that branches off in a few too many directions to be truly validating.

Clearly a work of passion Margaret wants to be a lot of things and is, but at times feels like a montage of unfinished thoughts as scenes begin and abruptly end while others drag on seemingly endlessly. There are events that appear to have a point but lead nowhere leaving snippets that are never fully realized. Maybe the extended cut (which runs 36 minutes longer) fleshes them out but this couldn’t be done in two and a half hours? Having said that there is meaning in much of what occurs but it requires a case by case thought process rather than seeing everything from a full circle perspective. While the accident is essentially the impetus for Lisa’s actions what we see is a sort of release for her pent up emotions, desires and developing teenage ideals.

I teetered back and forth on my opinion of Margaret. It’s complex and elusive with a stirring emotional depth that is supported by a strong performance by Anna Paquin. Like the film the cast has plenty of depth but is spread too far, making them less effecting. I didn’t watch the extended cut which is included on DVD. I must admit to being curious as to what if anything it will add or detract from the film. I do think that to fully absorb Margaret perhaps more than one viewing is necessary. Until then it would be safe to say that my reaction to it is a tepid one. There is no denying that it is an interesting film that makes for great coffee table discussion though. When time permits I will give the extended cut a shot and update this review.

Parental Guide:

This film contains strong language, sexuality, brief nudity, some drug use and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Margaret comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.6 Mbps.

This is a satisfying high definition video presentation that delivers quality which is on par with a newer release film coming to Blu-ray Disc. Colors appear natural with pleasing depth and an intentionally subdued palette. Complexions are realistically depicted with defining texture, and good tonal separation. Blacks are respectable but don’t offer the depth and delineation that make them stand out. Detail in low light and dark backgrounds is estimable. Images offer good dimensional depth, stable sharpness, and clarity but doesn’t have opulent high level detail and vibrant colors. This appears to look exactly as intended which when all is said and done is fine.

The lossless audio presentation is solid and renders the soundtrack with aplomb. Dialogue is clearly rendered through the center channel and the recordings various elements are reproduced with appreciable refinement and appropriate depth. Aural perspective is one dimensional with emphasis on the front channels however venue replicating effects and diffuse ambience is fed to the rear channels which provide a limited but effective sense of envelopment.

Bonus Features:

• Bonus DVD containing the 186 minute extended cut of Margaret

Final Thoughts:

Margaret comes form the mind of writer/director Kenneth Lonergan is an ambitious dramatic film that paints in fine uneven strokes as it tells a coming of age story from the perspective of a troubled teenage girl. It’s complex and elusive with a stirring emotional depth that is supported by a sterling performance by Anna Paquin. I found it to be an interesting character study but was put off at times by its broad and choppy story that left me wanting. Margaret makes its debut on Blu-ray featuring satisfying high definition audio/video quality but no bonus supplements. Fans will be pleased that, as a bonus, Fox has included a DVD containing the never before seen 186 minute extended cut of the film. While I can’t unreservedly recommend Margaret I do think that there is more to it than one viewing allows. I intend to revisit it via the extended cut and update this review afterward. In the meantime I would say that it is a worthwhile film experience that should be moved up on your rental queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Glad to finally see a review of this movie! Haven't been able to find 1 anywhere. And I've been interested in seeing this movie for going on at least the last 6 months or so. It's made me extremely nervous that the movie must seriously suck despite the great cast.

Thanks for coming through for me Ralph! I'll gladly keep this in my Q and look forward to watching it when it arrives.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #3 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Glad to finally see a review of this movie! Haven't been able to find 1 anywhere. And I've been interested in seeing this movie for going on at least the last 6 months or so. It's made me extremely nervous that the movie must seriously suck despite the great cast.
Thanks for coming through for me Ralph! I'll gladly keep this in my Q and look forward to watching it when it arrives.

Greetings,

Sure thing yadfgp. Sorry it's late but supply was limited. Luckily Fox was able to get a copy out to me...cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #4 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

By no means was that in anyways a gripe towards you Ralph. Your timing was actually excellent! smile.gif As netflix won't start shipping this out till 8/7. I had been getting very antsy though, anytime I checked my Q, I kept fighting off the urge to remove Margaret from my Q. biggrin.gif

Thanks to you I finally have gotten to read a review from someone who's opinion I highly value and trust. So I now feel relieved and am looking forward to seeing this.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The reviewer on NPR's Fresh Air program said that when the shortened version was in the theaters (briefly) he disliked it.; but when he reviewed the extended version, he considered this movie to be one of the true masterpieces of the last decade. I'm eager to see this...

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-29-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting about the extended cut.....

The movies already long as it is clocked in at 150 minutes. 2 and a half hours is a long movie, even by today's standards. Seems like movies are getting longer and longer than what they used to be. Wasn't there a time where a movie would usually be around 1:30 - 1:45 or so in length. But recently it seems like it's more common place to have movies closer to 2 hours if not longer? Comedies being a specific exception to that rule. So a movie being 2 and a half hours long, like Margaret is, going to the EXTENDED version and adding ANOTHER 36 minutes on top of the 150 minutes that's already there.........?!?!

HOLY MOLY. redface.gif

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Margaret Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page