Jaws (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Blu-ray & HD DVD > Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Jaws (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

pronghorn/az's Avatar pronghorn/az
10:43 AM Liked: 17
post #91 of 141
08-08-2012 | Posts: 1,343
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet Geek View Post

Just to offer an unsolicited piece of nostalgia, I recall being at the now defunct Venture store with my mom when I was about nine years old asking her to buy the Jaws soundtrack for me. ON LP!!! eek.gif
What kind of kid asks his mom to buy the symphonic score of a movie staring a shark that scared the daylights out of most of the country AND listened to it virtually every night? Was I demented or are we bringing our kids up soft these days? biggrin.gif

I still have the original Jaws LP!! And yes, it scared me as much as the movie did!

Jeff
erick granato's Avatar erick granato
08:27 AM Liked: 12
post #92 of 141
08-11-2012 | Posts: 611
Joined: Nov 2002
This is the reason we spend all that money on this hobby.
deltasun's Avatar deltasun
08:51 PM Liked: 13
post #93 of 141
08-11-2012 | Posts: 1,542
Joined: Dec 2008
Wow, easily day one purchase. Thanks for the review!
Franin's Avatar Franin
04:38 AM Liked: 366
post #94 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 17,902
Joined: Aug 2007
Curious to know if anyone has picked this up yet.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe
06:29 AM Liked: 201
post #95 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 7,387
Joined: Sep 2007
Going on my lunch break today...gonna get the best buy "limited edition" kinda by default. There is little to no info- even on BB's- site about it though.

Go figure.

James
SLUDGE's Avatar SLUDGE
07:54 AM Liked: 10
post #96 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 420
Joined: Jun 2005
How many versions will be released today? Will BB have a different version? Last but not least, is it worth waiting a few months to see it going for $9.99 during the holiday season?
Closet Geek's Avatar Closet Geek
08:10 AM Liked: 129
post #97 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 2,013
Joined: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

Last but not least, is it worth waiting a few months to see it going for $9.99 during the holiday season?

I'm not sure anyone can answer this question for you. I mean, who doesn't want to pay $10 for a BD but on the other hand, if you're a fan then you'll probably not mind going full boat on it (sorry, had to). I will not be waiting and picking up my copy this weekend.
SLUDGE's Avatar SLUDGE
08:46 AM Liked: 10
post #98 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 420
Joined: Jun 2005
I went to bluray.com and read some of the forums. The BB version is a digibook, 42 pages and is $24.99. Supposedly they are selling fast with only a few on the shelf. I dont think a book is worth an extra $5.
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe
09:06 AM Liked: 201
post #99 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 7,387
Joined: Sep 2007
^Agreed. I'll take a look when I stop in, thanks.


James
gbaby's Avatar gbaby
04:53 PM Liked: 41
post #100 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 2,280
Joined: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by emgesp View Post

The movie is a classic, but your review for the PQ and AQ is ridiculous. Don't let your love for this film cloud your judgement when it comes to evaluating the film on a technical level. The film doesn't look, or sound amazing. The studios did a decent job with the lousy 70's film stock source material they had to work with.

I thought the rating of 100 for both sound and picture was warranted.cool.gif
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
05:00 PM Liked: 895
post #101 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 9,878
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I thought the rating of 100 for both sound and picture was warranted.cool.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it gbaby.. smile.gif


Regards,
batutta's Avatar batutta
05:42 PM Liked: 17
post #102 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 186
Joined: Sep 2009
Yes, it looks amazing. A new standard for films of its era. If only the Star Wars OT Blu-Rays looked as great. I wish the documentaries were in better quality but that's my only quibble.
huskie2000's Avatar huskie2000
08:47 PM Liked: 12
post #103 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 42
Joined: Jan 2007
Nice Review, Ralph - been admiring your work for several years.

Just got back home and cant wait to pop this baby in. Rare that I get a blu ray opening day, but I just had to get this ASAP. I was born a few days after this came out and actually saw parts 2 and 3 before seeing this as a 10 year old. I actually was looking more forward to this than any theatrical release this year!
rdgrimes's Avatar rdgrimes
09:09 PM Liked: 312
post #104 of 141
08-14-2012 | Posts: 16,852
Joined: Mar 2004
Watched this tonight. I think the PQ is fantastic, but it doesn't warrant a "100". Compared to other live action films that do warrant a 100, the difference is obvious. Calling it "100 for a film of its age" just doesn't hold water. Any standard for rating PQ has to be the same across all films, not different for older vs newer or anything else. I'd give it a 90-95 based on Ralph's criteria. The sharpness of image just isn't there for a 100.

That said, I agree with Spielberg that it probably looks better than it originally did in theaters.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
05:15 AM Liked: 895
post #105 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 9,878
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched this tonight. I think the PQ is fantastic, but it doesn't warrant a "100". Compared to other live action films that do warrant a 100, the difference is obvious. Calling it "100 for a film of its age" just doesn't hold water. Any standard for rating PQ has to be the same across all films, not different for older vs newer or anything else. I'd give it a 90-95 based on Ralph's criteria. The sharpness of image just isn't there for a 100.
That said, I agree with Spielberg that it probably looks better than it originally did in theaters.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions rdgrimes. Your input is always appreciated and I'm glad that you enjoyed Jaws in Blu...smile.gif


Regards,
mastermaybe's Avatar mastermaybe
06:50 AM Liked: 201
post #106 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 7,387
Joined: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched this tonight. I think the PQ is fantastic, but it doesn't warrant a "100". Compared to other live action films that do warrant a 100, the difference is obvious. Calling it "100 for a film of its age" just doesn't hold water. Any standard for rating PQ has to be the same across all films, not different for older vs newer or anything else. I'd give it a 90-95 based on Ralph's criteria. The sharpness of image just isn't there for a 100.
That said, I agree with Spielberg that it probably looks better than it originally did in theaters.

Huge, huge, fan of the film and I largely agree, which isn't a slight on anyone, just simply my opinion after fully digesting it on my Kuro yesterday. Wasn't really even "disappointed" either- I quite like what I saw and heard, overall.

To put it another way:

For its "ERA": PQ: 95 SQ: 92

For its "GENRE/OVERALL": PQ: 92 SQ: 87

In the audio dept, we've simply just come a helluva long way in the last 35+ years and for as great as the sound is in Jaws, let's face it, there are other films that are markedly more sonically rich, simple as that, really.


Just remember gang: it would a real boring existence if everyone agreed on everything.


James
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
07:31 AM Liked: 895
post #107 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 9,878
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Huge, huge, fan of the film and I largely agree, which isn't a slight on anyone, just simply my opinion after fully digesting it on my Kuro yesterday. Wasn't really even "disappointed" either- I quite like what I saw and heard, overall.
To put it another way:
For its "ERA": PQ: 95 SQ: 92
For its "GENRE/OVERALL": PQ: 92 SQ: 87
In the audio dept, we've simply just come a helluva long way in the last 35+ years and for as great as the sound is in Jaws, let's face it, there are other films that are markedly more sonically rich, simple as that, really.
Just remember gang: it would a real boring existence if everyone agreed on everything.
James

Greetings,

It's what makes the world go around James. Great stuff...wink.gif


Regards,
hakstone's Avatar hakstone
07:50 AM Liked: 13
post #108 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 252
Joined: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

Watched this tonight. I think the PQ is fantastic, but it doesn't warrant a "100". Compared to other live action films that do warrant a 100, the difference is obvious. Calling it "100 for a film of its age" just doesn't hold water. Any standard for rating PQ has to be the same across all films, not different for older vs newer or anything else. I'd give it a 90-95 based on Ralph's criteria. The sharpness of image just isn't there for a 100.
That said, I agree with Spielberg that it probably looks better than it originally did in theaters.

Glad I'm not the only one. Great transfer. Nothing but respect for Mr Potts.
fastl's Avatar fastl
06:12 PM Liked: 11
post #109 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 591
Joined: Sep 2007
Considering how "crummy" the OCN were, as described in the Restoration video, they did a great job in fixing things up. I also didn't notice excessive grain reduction as the "negativists" were claiming was going to happen. BUT, what i did notice, was a distinct lack of contrast in many of the outdoor shots. A little adjustment of the black level fixes the problem for these shots, but then you need to restore the black level for the remainder of the scenes. A little annoying. Can't figure out whether this was intentional or accidental.
huskie2000's Avatar huskie2000
09:17 PM Liked: 12
post #110 of 141
08-15-2012 | Posts: 42
Joined: Jan 2007
Just finished it, and its spectacular. Had a great experience with DVDs but one thing that always bothered me for Jaws and other films set in water is you could usually see the pixelation and blockiness. Didnt see that here biggrin.gif

Im now curious as to how it sounds in mono. Been reading a lot and many home theatre fans complain older movies that were mono or stereo and then remixed to 5.1 are usually sub-par and actually hurt the sound design. Being relatively new to the audio side of home theatre, Im still developing my taste and I thought the sound in 5.1 (dont have a 7.1 setup) was awesome.

Based on what Ive been reading, I guess I should consider myself lucky to get the BB DigiBook version. A lot of reports of this edition being sold out and/or unavailable.

I cant get over how great this flick still is after all these years.
Franin's Avatar Franin
07:42 AM Liked: 366
post #111 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 17,902
Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskie2000 View Post

Just finished it, and its spectacular. Had a great experience with DVDs but one thing that always bothered me for Jaws and other films set in water is you could usually see the pixelation and blockiness. Didnt see that here biggrin.gif
Im now curious as to how it sounds in mono. Been reading a lot and many home theatre fans complain older movies that were mono or stereo and then remixed to 5.1 are usually sub-par and actually hurt the sound design. Being relatively new to the audio side of home theatre, Im still developing my taste and I thought the sound in 5.1 (dont have a 7.1 setup) was awesome.
Based on what Ive been reading, I guess I should consider myself lucky to get the BB DigiBook version. A lot of reports of this edition being sold out and/or unavailable.
I cant get over how great this flick still is after all these years.

Its the best shark film ever made. Nothing today still comes close its all crap ( regarding shark films ). I cannot wait till next week smile.gif
shamus's Avatar shamus
09:46 AM Liked: 13
post #112 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 6,259
Joined: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post


Its the best shark film ever made. Nothing today still comes close its all crap ( regarding shark films ). I cannot wait till next week smile.gif

Very true Fran! Did you ever catch a movie called "The Reef"??? I believe it's from your country. Very good one... used real Great Whites!
Franin's Avatar Franin
10:13 AM Liked: 366
post #113 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 17,902
Joined: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post

Very true Fran! Did you ever catch a movie called "The Reef"??? I believe it's from your country. Very good one... used real Great Whites!

Yes I did that wasn't too bad actually I forgot about that one. I would of been the one staying on the boat smile.gif
IAM4UK's Avatar IAM4UK
01:40 PM Liked: 24
post #114 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 6,052
Joined: Aug 2003
Got the BB digibook. The look of this restoration is miraculous. And the movie, of course, is one of the greats.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts
02:10 PM Liked: 895
post #115 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 9,878
Joined: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAM4UK View Post

Got the BB digibook. The look of this restoration is miraculous. And the movie, of course, is one of the greats.

Greetings,

cool.gif


Regards,
rezzy's Avatar rezzy
04:12 PM Liked: 56
post #116 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 7,874
Joined: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Its the best shark film ever made.
One of the best films ever made, period.
Shift's Avatar Shift
05:50 PM Liked: 28
post #117 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 1,392
Joined: Jan 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDGE View Post

I went to bluray.com and read some of the forums. The BB version is a digibook, 42 pages and is $24.99. Supposedly they are selling fast with only a few on the shelf. I dont think a book is worth an extra $5.


I got the DigiBook and proud to own it!! $5 is chump change for a jem like this.

I should have purchased another........... wink.gif
SLUDGE's Avatar SLUDGE
06:42 PM Liked: 10
post #118 of 141
08-16-2012 | Posts: 420
Joined: Jun 2005
You made a great buy with the digibook as they are selling like hotcakes on ebay. I already saw one sell for $100! There are no digibooks available where I live. If I found one I would not open it and sell it when they become even more scarce. I ended up with the regular bluray for $18.99 at Costco.
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish
11:15 PM Liked: 18
post #119 of 141
08-17-2012 | Posts: 227
Joined: Dec 2011
I'll probably wind up there, too. For me, digibooks just waste space on the rack. I haven't looked at the Close Encounters or Taxi Driver books since first perusal.
scirica's Avatar scirica
11:56 AM Liked: 122
post #120 of 141
08-18-2012 | Posts: 1,742
Joined: Jan 2012
Just ordered based on the fantastic review. Will be here Tuesday!!
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , Jaws Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet Universals 100th Anniversary

Gear in this thread - 100th by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3