post #121 of 139 Old 08-18-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

Just ordered based on the fantastic review. Will be here Tuesday!!

Greetings,

Great. Enjoy ! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 139 Old 08-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Great review--just watched my copy the other night. Was fun to see the movie again--haven't seen it in many years. Still some scary parts--when the great white came out of that boat I dumped my foot stool. The shark model has aged a bit--still a great job considering it was made over 35 years ago but I think most of us are indeed spoiled by the realism of computer graphics. This is a nice addition to any movie lovers collection.

Bob

post #123 of 139 Old 08-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Liked: 10
The clarity on this BR is insane beautiful. I love it. One of the best I have seen since hd-DVD wars... smile.gif
post #124 of 139 Old 08-20-2012, 05:49 AM

Really impressed with how well it's stood up to the test of time. Watched it this weekend, I was very impressed and enjoyed it thoroughly. Well, accept when my BR player chocked from chapter 14-16, but it finished up ok. Oh well.

Awesome movie.
post #125 of 139 Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM

I watched the new Blue Ray last night and was pleasantly surprised. I went into it trying to be as objective as I could and can honestly say I was really impressed with the work they did on "remastering" if you will Jaws. When the movie starts I noticed the detail during the campfire scene. You could easily read the falstaff logo on on the beer cup, as well as see the light reflecting off of a lobster a young girl is holding. I have seen Jaws on VHS, cable TV and DVD hundreds of times and never noticed that lobster! My wife actually pointed out some hillarious details of Jaws first victim as she treads water at the beginning ( ill leave that up to you to see what I mean ) The audio was done very well and was very clear and distinct. I watched the movie at a low volume as my 15month old was asleep. Even at the low volumes it was very distinct and not overdone. When Quin, hooper and the chief are singing and then interrupted by the sounds of jaws beating on the Orka's hull, you really feel that thump, that hollow thump of the old wood being pounded on. If you are a Jaws fan or not, this is worth the upgrade. I paid 18.99 at costco.
post #126 of 139 Old 08-21-2012, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Will be watching this tonight finally get to see the Shark on the big screen.

Frank

post #127 of 139 Old 08-22-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickusa View Post

I watched the new Blue Ray last night and was pleasantly surprised. I went into it trying to be as objective as I could and can honestly say I was really impressed with the work they did on "remastering" if you will Jaws. When the movie starts I noticed the detail during the campfire scene. You could easily read the falstaff logo on on the beer cup, as well as see the light reflecting off of a lobster a young girl is holding. I have seen Jaws on VHS, cable TV and DVD hundreds of times and never noticed that lobster! My wife actually pointed out some hillarious details of Jaws first victim as she treads water at the beginning ( ill leave that up to you to see what I mean ) The audio was done very well and was very clear and distinct. I watched the movie at a low volume as my 15month old was asleep. Even at the low volumes it was very distinct and not overdone. When Quin, hooper and the chief are singing and then interrupted by the sounds of jaws beating on the Orka's hull, you really feel that thump, that hollow thump of the old wood being pounded on. If you are a Jaws fan or not, this is worth the upgrade. I paid 18.99 at costco.

I agree the remastering/restoration ( whatever you want to call it ) was done very well. Definitely worth to add to your collection.

Frank

post #128 of 139 Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM

Liked: 12
Just watched it again last night to see how the mono sounds, since people have been writing that the sound effects are not original.

i dunno, maybe somethings not right but i thought it sounded weird - the dialog sounded like someone was talking in an empty room. anyone have this issue?

TV: LG 47LH90
PLAYER: Panasonic DMP BD330
AVR: Denon 1612
Front R/L: Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1
Surround R/L: Yamaha NS-5290
Sub: Polk Audio PSW10
post #129 of 139 Old 08-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I remember watching this as a youngster with my older brothers and during those days I had no real appreciation for the film or audio process only that it was a great movie. I have watched it a few times over the years on various media platforms from HD Cable back too VHS but this Blu-Ray version is done very well and is a testament to what this platform can do for the older films.

Cant wait for Indi!!! lol!!
post #130 of 139 Old 09-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I finally got to sit down and watch this disc tonight. I don't think I have enjoyed a movie more in recent memory.

I never owned the movie on DVD and I would see bits and pieces on TV. It was great watching this again in its entirety and in my own HT set-up. It's been a while.

I thought the Blu-ray version looked outstanding for such an older film. Really superb for the most part and the soundtrack was enjoyable as well. Just a really good package.

I NEVER watch extras and after the movie I watched them all. Wow I don't do that but in this case they were almost as enjoyable as the film. Great to hear how it all came together. Dreyfus is a hoot and I intend to watch these again.

What a great evening with a great flick.

PS there was a couple of scenes when the three were on the Orca and at first it looked like a shooting star in the sky and a brief second later there was a second. Is that was this was (shooting stars)? I don't recall seeing this before.

Thanks again for the review Ralph-

Rick

post #131 of 139 Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Liked: 20
I've watched the first 15 minutes or so.

The transfer looks fine. It's not terribly impressive in the larger scheme of things. As a preliminary score, I'd say mid tier 2. A 2.5 maybe.

It's a nice clean print. Contrast is pretty good. Colors are slightly washed out. Detail is not bad, but it's far from stellar.

It looks like a slightly refined and a bit more detailed version of those early cinema scope films, without those weird soft shots during scene transitions. There's nothing spectacular here, just a clean transfer of an older film.

I do get annoyed by these early soundtracks with their low-fi, yet overly loud dubbed voices. It just reminds me of a bad martial arts film. The story is certainly interesting enough; haven't seen enough to really rate it yet.
post #132 of 139 Old 11-05-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncourt View Post

I've watched the first 15 minutes or so.
The transfer looks fine. It's not terribly impressive in the larger scheme of things. As a preliminary score, I'd say mid tier 2. A 2.5 maybe.

It's a nice clean print. Contrast is pretty good. Colors are slightly washed out. Detail is not bad, but it's far from stellar.
It looks like a slightly refined and a bit more detailed version of those early cinema scope films, without those weird soft shots during scene transitions. There's nothing spectacular here, just a clean transfer of an older film.
I do get annoyed by these early soundtracks with their low-fi, yet overly loud dubbed voices. It just reminds me of a bad martial arts film. The story is certainly interesting enough; haven't seen enough to really rate it yet.

you've got to be joking... you had better check out your equipment or your eyesight.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #133 of 139 Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Jaws Film Restoration Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLWvXaeDzwU

Very impressive how they do restoration.

Good to see
post #134 of 139 Old 11-05-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu18 View Post

you've got to be joking... you had better check out your equipment or your eyesight.

I'll watch the rest of the film shortly. There is nothing remarkable about the transfer whether you compare this film with contemporary releases, or even with "older" titles. Have you seen Alien on blu ray? The color and detail are phenomenal.

There are no outstanding problems with jaws. Color and detail are good, but hardly jaw dropping, no pun intended. My guess is that people are grading on a curve because they love this movie so much and because it is an older title, and have relatively low expectations.
post #135 of 139 Old 11-11-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

I had to do a double take when I saw the perfect "100" scores for audio and video. Not that I doubt it, I haven't actually seen the Bluray yet. I'm very excited to check out a classic that has apparently been given the modern day format treatment it deserves. I remember seeing this with my parents at the drive-in when I was a kid so I have fond memories of films like this as well as Close Encounters, Star Wars, etc. Being a kid of the 70's, it's awesome to see all of these great films again and looking better than ever. Ralph, thanks as always for your great reviews.

It may deserve a score of 100 in the sense that it is an epic work of restoration. It certainly does not deserve a score of 100 in comparison with the best looking blu rays available today.

This blu ray looks very good however by any standard. I would rate a high 2 at least, or even a low 1: between 2.25 and 1.75; an extraordinary achievement for a film of this age.

There was probably a fair amount of DNR use, as grain structure is not easy to make out.

It is certainly an entertaining film, and the sfx have held up incredibly well.

This is a fine film and I can understand why it has a loyal fan base. I don't count myself as one of it's legion, but hey, to each his own.
post #136 of 139 Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

It may deserve a score of 100 in the sense that it is an epic work of restoration. It certainly does not deserve a score of 100 in comparison with the best looking blu rays available today.
This blu ray looks very good however by any standard. I would rate a high 2 at least, or even a low 1: between 2.25 and 1.75; an extraordinary achievement for a film of this age.
There was probably a fair amount of DNR use, as grain structure is not easy to make out.
It is certainly an entertaining film, and the sfx have held up incredibly well.
This is a fine film and I can understand why it has a loyal fan base. I don't count myself as one of it's legion, but hey, to each his own.

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed it John and thanks for sharing your thoughts. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #137 of 139 Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I would rate a high 2 at least, or even a low 1: between 2.25 and 1.75; an extraordinary achievement for a film of this age.

Oh come on now... someone is trolling.

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #138 of 139 Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Universal has openly explained that they are reducing (but not eliminating) grain. I watched it, and it looked ok to me. Didn't like the 4% black offset in some of the scenes.
post #139 of 139 Old 12-01-2012, 06:26 AM

Price Reduced

Costco has this with the slipcase case for $9.99 in store. The same version that came out when it was first released (not the digibook).
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Jaws Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet Universals 100th Anniversary
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page