Starring: Gina Gershon, Kelli Giddish, Ray Liotta, Val Kilmer
Directed by: Jesse Paget
Music by: Jermaine Stegall
Written by: Jesse Paget
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 14, 2012

"Does this blood make me look fat?"

Film Synopsis:

A Texas trailer wife hits her breaking point when she finds her husband is keeping secrets, including 100k in stolen cash, from her.

My Take:

Breathless is the wanna-be dark comedy tale of Clark County Texas trailer trash housewife Lorna (Gina Gershon). She has just about had it up the here with her low-life thievin' husband Dale (Val Kilmer). When the little missy finds out that ol' Dale was the man all over then news for robbing $100k the local savings n' loan, and that that two timin', good fer nuthin' planned on leaving her and not sharing the money, she takes matters into her own hands. Lorna recruits her BFF Tiny (Kelli Giddish) to take care of Dale and split the money with. Of course in the sake of keeping it clichéd and all, some of of the many bumps on the road include; where is the money? What to do with this dead body? and we cant forget the county sheriff (ray Liotta) is parked out front of the trailer waiting for a warrant to search the premises.

Breathless started off witty, with fun performances by Gershon, Giddish and the perfectly placed Kilmer who hits all right notes as Dale. The dialogue was charmingly off kilter and I had high hopes for the storyline and cast. Unfortunately what it had going for it in the fist act wore thin and its Cohen Brothers meets Tarentino dialogue schtick could only last so long before becoming a bit annoying. The story's "twists" were transparent, or I am just awesome at figuring sub-par whodunits out...hrmmm?? I say any excuse to look at Gershon is a good thing, and she is aging well, and Giddish was quite the surprise here as well. Under appreciated character actor Wayne Duvall (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) plays a Private Investigator here and he really stole the show as his performance does make Breathless worth checking out . If only we focused more on the characters and put less emphasis on the pedestrian plot.

Parental Guide:

Violence and language

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Breathless comes to Blu-ray disc from Anchor Bay/Starz featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24.2 mbps Dolby TrueHD MA 5.1 lossless surround sound that has a average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

Breathlesshas a decent, but not trouble free high definition presentation. Finer details were strong on close-ups, however, long shots and back ground definition was lacking. Colors were a bit over-saturated, but this was done intentionally. I found them a bit of an eye sore, but thankfully black levels were strong and stable. The Dolby TrueHD track was quite passable but seeing this was a very dialogue heavy affair, we never got to see what it had going for it. It was not the most refined mix I have heard but I never lost any of the vocalizations.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Jesse Baget and Producer Christine Holder

• Making Of Breathless

• DVD Copy

Final Thoughts:

Breathless was a let down, especially after the fun first act. If you like the actors involved, it is worth the time, just don't expect a great bit of intrigue with the films "seen it coming a mile away" twists. A/V quality is worthy of HD, however, it is nothing to brag about. Considering its sub-par assortment of special features, a rental is in order here.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
M&K S-150MKII LCR
M&K S-150T Surrounds
M&K MX-350MKII Subwoofer

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Breathless Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page