Studio and Year: Lionsgate - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 142 minutes
Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks, Donald Sutherland, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, Toby Jones
Directed by: Gary Ross
Music by: James Newton Howard
Written by: Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins, Billy Ray
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 18, 2012

"Hope is the only thing stronger than fear"

Film Synopsis:

The Hunger Games is the first in a trilogy of books published by Scholastic that has already become a literary phenomenon with over 36.5 million copies in circulation. Set in the future, one male and one female from each of the twelve districts of the nation is forced to participate in the annual competition called The Hunger Games, which is broadcast live throughout the country for the entertainment of the Capitol’s wealthy residents. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen (Lawrence) volunteers in her younger sister’s place to enter the games, and is forced to rely upon her sharp instincts as well as the mentorship of drunken former victor Haymitch Abernathy when she’s pitted against highly-trained Tributes who have prepared for these Games their entire lives. If she’s ever to return home to District 12, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

My Take:

A buddy of mine called me looking to go to the movies the weekend The Hunger Games opened. I honestly knew very little about it other than hearing some buzz and catching glimpses of the trailer. After checking the listings there wasn’t much playing that I was interested in so I asked my kids about The Hunger Games. They explandained that it was based on a popular book series and was supposed to be decent so we opted to check it out. I was surprised at the ranges in age in the packed theater we went to. There were people that there as old as over 60 and as young as under 5.

Based on the New York Times best-selling novel from writer Suzanne Collins, the film turned out to be better than expected and revolves around 16-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds hegemony over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the twelve districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle to the death until only one person remains. This is purported by the governing body to be a form of tribute in remembrance of the cost of freedom. In reality it is more of a punishment wrapped in a repressive societal sock meant to slap the faces of those that might seek to rise up again.

From a conceptual standpoint “The Hunger Games” doesn’t break new ground as we have seen this premise in films before. This isn’t necessarily a problem provided that the narrative supports the formulaic base. Luckily there is excellent foundation to be found in the story’s characters specifically the primary heroine Katniss Everdeen. She is well drawn and the type of character that a series like this can be built around. Katniss comes from the 12th District and has known tough times which have made her weary of trusting people. Self-reliance has kept her sharp and capable of handling herself but her interaction with others (outside of those closest to her) leaves much to be desired. Once she finds herself thrust into the limelight and into situations where charisma can be just as important as dauntlessness Katniss adapts quickly in pursuit of what initially starts out as a singular goal but by the end will become so much more.

I liked The Hunger Games. There is enough depth to the plot to keep it interesting and the story nicely balances elements of drama, action, light romance and sci-fi/adventure. As seen primarily from Katniss’ perspective I found the character driven nature of her personal journey of discovery, humanity, and compassion to be the film’s most defining and ultimately rewarding aspect. The integration of the remaining plot points, its respective characters and what that will ultimately mean going forward is done well. The film’s screenplay, production elements and direction are solid. Gary Ross (Big, Pleasantville, Seabisquit and Dave) serves as co-writer/director and knows how to connect the audience via theme and emotion.

As already stated I haven’t read the books but Jennifer Lawrence appears to be a good choice for this role. She’s edgy with a quietly cool demeanor that is accentuated by an understated allure that favors the character. I am a Josh Hutcherson fan and have been since seeing him in films like Little Manhattan, Zathura and Bridge to Teribithia. His performance as Peeta opposite of Lawrence is excellent. The remaining cast is chock full of familiar faces (Donald Sutherland, Stanley Tucci, Wes Bentley, and Elizabeth Banks) that compliments the proceedings.

The Hunger Games achieved a remarkable four-week run as the #1 film at the North American theatrical box office where it has grossed nearly a half billion dollars ranking it as the 12th highest-grossing film of all time. It isn’t a cinematic gem but it’s a well executed and entertaining film that left me eager to see what lies in store for the installment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense violent thematic material and disturbing images – all involving teens.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

The Hunger Games comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 35 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.7 Mbps.

The Hunger Games looks great on Blu-ray and features excellent high definition video quality that exhibits high level detail, defining sharpness and exquisite definition that brings out lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Dimensional perspective has a near infinite appeal that can be visually stimulating. Close ups are noticeably refined and revealing of the subtlest details within facial features and objects within the frame. Mid level camera pans are equally enriching and offer excellent depth and dimension. Colors are appreciably delineated with natural rendering and punchy primaries that stand out among the remaining spectrum of secondary hues. Fleshtones are rendered with vivid tonality and discerning complexional description. Contrast is boldly applied without overstatement as it enlivens colors and empowers whites without washing away detail. Blacks are rich, gradationally strong and dynamic which makes them pop nicely during sequences containing a mix of light and dark elements. Detail in uneven light and darkened environments reveal visible shapes and structure in backgrounds. This is a pristine encoding that looks terrific on my big screen.

The DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix is equally impressive and sounds superb. This soundtrack runs the gamut between subtle passages of spoken dialogue and soft music to thunderous, dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. Dialogue rendering is terrific as it holds sway over the front soundstage. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements within the mix. Dynamics can be demonstrative as the active elements within the surround mix resound with superior authority and powerful deep bass transients. James Newton Howard’s music score is carefully integrated into the sound design and is wonderfully detailed, acoustically transparent and three dimensional. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving. From the gentle sounds of blowing wind or reverberant echoes to the familiar and enveloping effects of raging fire, exploding mines or hurtled weapons, sounds are seamlessly blended to create a stable and detail rich sound field. This is an impressive audio/video presentation that essentially mirrored its theatrical one and makes for a great home theater experience.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Feature film

• Disc 2: (Blu-ray) Bonus features

• (HD) The world is watching: The making of The Hunger Games (8 segments)
    1. Countdown – 11 minutes
    2. Casting – 20 minutes
    3. Design – 14 minutes
    4. Arena ready – 13 minutes
    5. On location in Panem – 15 minutes
    6. Effects – 9 minutes
    7. Post production – 22 minutes
    8. May the odds be ever in your favor – 14 minutes
  • (HD) Featurettes (6 segments)
    1. Game maker: Suzanne Collins & The Hungers Games phenomenon – 14 minutes
    2. Letters from the rose garden – 9 minutes
    3. Controlling the games – 5 minutes
    4. A conversation with Gary Ross & film critic Elvis Mitchell – 14 minutes
    5. Preparing for the games: A director’s process – 3 minutes
    6. Propaganda film – 1 minute faux promo
  • (HD) Marketing gallery – Trailers, posters, production photos

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the New York Times best-selling novel from writer Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games is a formulaic, well executed multi-genre film that preaches a little but stays on point via a rewarding narrative, apt direction and solid casting. It makes its debut on Blu-ray in superb fashion and features top notch audio/video quality along with a gratifying assortment of bonus material that look behind the scenes at the making of the film while providing insights from the cast and crew. I found The Hunger Games to be an enjoyable film experience and look forward to the next installment in the series. If you’re a fan this Blu-ray offering from Lionsgate Home Entertainment is highly recommended. For those that might be on the fence give it a rent prior to purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
There were people that there as old as 60plus and as young as minus 5

People 5 years away from being born? tongue.gif
Quote:
Bridge to Terabith

Teribithia wink.gif. But I'm sure a lot of people will recognize him from the recently released Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

I also believe this is Lionsgate's first true (native) 7.1 surround presentation. The film was released in the Dolby Surround 7.1 format.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #3 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 56
My wife and I have just finished reading the last book in the trilogy and are looking forward to the movie version. We didn't see this in the theater but I am wondering how faithfully the movie is to the books.
I have wondered why this is being released on a Saturday, considering most dvd/bluerays release on a Tuesday?
rdwalt likes this.
post #4 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

People 5 years away from being born? tongue.gif
Teribithia wink.gif. But I'm sure a lot of people will recognize him from the recently released Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.
I also believe this is Lionsgate's first true (native) 7.1 surround presentation. The film was released in the Dolby Surround 7.1 format.

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

Thanks for catching that Peter although I am pretty sure that there were a few pregnant mother's among the group so it's very possible. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #5 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylan View Post

My wife and I have just finished reading the last book in the trilogy and are looking forward to the movie version. We didn't see this in the theater but I am wondering how faithfully the movie is to the books.
I have wondered why this is being released on a Saturday, considering most dvd/bluerays release on a Tuesday?

It's fairly faithful to the book overall. A couple of minor things changed but for the most part it's pretty true. Usually the non traditional Tuesday releases are studios ways of having a major titles debut all to itself to make it seem more like an "event". It's pure marketing, nothing else.

BTW....another great review Ralph!
post #6 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 310
The quality of this film surprised my girlfriend and I--we got the tickets solely because we hadn't been to the theater in a while (Projector-based home theaters tend to have that effect :-D ) but we ended up surprisingly impressed by the film. I thought the A/V was quite good in the theater and I'm glad the same is true for the Blu Ray version.

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #7 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Loved the books....I might have actually enjoyed the movie even more
post #8 of 65 Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Can't wait to see this, but, unfortunately I got news that the rental edition will only contain a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix instead of the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. This is rather disappointing as I am unsure if I want to purchase having not seen the film yet.
post #9 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When doing reviews it would be nice if you listed the aspect ratio and if it is has forced subs if they are scope friendly (into picture not into black bars) or not.
post #10 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
While I enjoyed this movie, I wish it was edgier. Also, having seen 'Battle Royale' some years back didn't help as I couldn't help myself from comparing 'The Hunger Games' to that first-rate cult classic. On the A/V side, other than the shaky-cam, it's a nice presentation. The audio has a lot of range as well. The LFE when the canons go off will make you jump.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #11 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Can't wait to see this, but, unfortunately I got news that the rental edition will only contain a Dolby Digital 5.1 mix instead of the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track. This is rather disappointing as I am unsure if I want to purchase having not seen the film yet.

5.1 DD? That is NOT good. I live on Netflix and Redbox rentals, and don't buy many movies. Sure, we usually have to wait a couple of months due to the 28-day rental windows, and then very long waits for the disc in my Netflix que. I guess it is a good thing I pre-ordered this one!

Mark

post #12 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 06:21 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Ralph. interesting side note - Amazon indicates this release date is the 18th; however when I place it in my cart and checkout it indicates the release date is the 20th and I will receive it on the 20th. I have a question into Amazon about this. If this true I may need to exit my house and go to a b&m place for this.

post #13 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

I absolutely loved the books (and as a 40 year old male I'm not exactly the target audience) but didn't see the movie. It's unfortunate that the rental won't have the DTS-HD track - guess I'll be buying it smile.gif
post #14 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 View Post

When doing reviews it would be nice if you listed the aspect ratio and if it is has forced subs if they are scope friendly (into picture not into black bars) or not.

Greetings,

Actually I include the aspect ratio info in every review. It is listed in the disc info located below the jacket pic at the top of the review. As for the subtitles with respect to CIH setups I include that when it is applicable (it can be found below my comments on the audio/video).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #15 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM

Most of my family (wife, daughter, sister, mom, myself) and many friends read the books. My daughter read the series a second time just days before the movie release. We watched the movie opening weekend and all had mixed opinions. Most of us enjoyed it, some more than others. The level of enjoyment increased with the length of time since one had last read the book(s). My mom seemed to most enjoy it and it had been a couple years since she read the series. My daughter was extremely disappointed in the film. Any mention of the film brings groans and complaints.
Quote:
Katniss comes from the 12th District and has known tough times which have made her weary of trusting people. Self-reliance has kept her sharp and capable of handling herself but her interaction with others (outside of those closest to her) leaves much to be desired. Once she finds herself thrust into the limelight and into situations where charisma can be just as important as dauntlessness Katniss adapts quickly in pursuit of what initially starts out as a singular goal but by the end will become so much more.

I liked The Hunger Games. There is enough depth to the plot to keep it interesting and the story nicely balances elements of drama, action, light romance and sci-fi/adventure. As seen primarily from Katniss’ perspective I found the character driven nature of her personal journey of discovery, humanity, and compassion to be the film’s most defining and ultimately rewarding aspect. The integration of the remaining plot points, its respective characters and what that will ultimately mean going forward is done well. The film’s screenplay, production elements and direction are solid. Gary Ross (Big, Pleasantville, Seabisquit and Dave) serves as co-writer/director and knows how to connect the audience via theme and emotion.

Having read the books and watched the film, I was worried that no one could glean the above from the film alone. Did you get all that from the film or from reading more about the character?
post #16 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonT View Post

Most of my family (wife, daughter, sister, mom, myself) and many friends read the books. My daughter read the series a second time just days before the movie release. We watched the movie opening weekend and all had mixed opinions. Most of us enjoyed it, some more than others. The level of enjoyment increased with the length of time since one had last read the book(s). My mom seemed to most enjoy it and it had been a couple years since she read the series. My daughter was extremely disappointed in the film. Any mention of the film brings groans and complaints.
Having read the books and watched the film, I was worried that no one could glean the above from the film alone. Did you get all that from the film or from reading more about the character?

Greetings,

ShannonT, that was my take from watching the film (twice now).

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I have only read the first book and did so before seeing the film. I was somewhat underwhelmed by the film and the fast camera pans during fight scenes kind of ruined the brutality of combat conveyed by the book. I understand why this was done as it brought a larger potential audience for the film. However, I agree with what Brajesh said in that I wish it had been "edgier".

post #18 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

My wife read all the books and loved the movie so I really have no choice but to buy no matter what I think.
post #19 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

While I enjoyed this movie, I wish it was edgier.

I certainly hope that this changes over the course of the next 3 films. I can't even fathom Mockingjay without some serious edge and brutality to it.
post #20 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Hmm, I was looking forward to the audio on this. DD for sure?

post #21 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

Hmm, I was looking forward to the audio on this. DD for sure?
Yep, unfortunately it is a DD 5.1 track. Kind of makes me wonder if they port over the same video encode as they do on the retail disc or if they screw us out of that as well. I am pretty sure the video would be the same though.
post #22 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks my mistake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
Actually I include the aspect ratio info in every review. It is listed in the disc info located below the jacket pic at the top of the review. As for the subtitles with respect to CIH setups I include that when it is applicable (it can be found below my comments on the audio/video).
Regards,
post #23 of 65 Old 08-15-2012, 09:01 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Watching this tonight. Never seen it before so hope I will enjoy it.

Frank

post #24 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh View Post

On the A/V side, other than the shaky-cam, it's a nice presentation.

Thanks Brajesh. I do not watch movies made with handheld cameras, so you just saved me from using up a rental slot and I will remove it from my queue.

post #25 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Thanks Brajesh. I do not watch movies made with handheld cameras, so you just saved me from using up a rental slot and I will remove it from my queue.

I still think it's worth seeing but I would have preferred a steadier style but then the kiddies would see the blood and guts in all it's glory which is what they were trying to avoid I guess. I just saw the latest Bourne movie at the theater last week and I know the intent was not the same here yet the same fast panning and jerky camera action was present. It's kind of exhausting after a while.

post #26 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM

I also can`t stand the shaky cam. It is to me at least very unprofessional. If I want to see that I can watch old home movies. LOL
I see no need for it. The Bourne flicks took it to extremes and this movie not so much but they sure didn`t need to do it.
The movie was good overall but there were some things that I thought were not at all believable but it could have been in the books.
Worth a watch but for that`s all.
post #27 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Been waiting for this to debut on BD as I didn't catch it in theaters, thanks for the review Ralph! Looking forward to a rental as the posts below are making me question it as a purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I still think it's worth seeing but I would have preferred a steadier style but then the kiddies would see the blood and guts in all it's glory which is what they were trying to avoid I guess. I just saw the latest Bourne movie at the theater last week and I know the intent was not the same here yet the same fast panning and jerky camera action was present. It's kind of exhausting after a while.
Ugh. Unfortunately, this puts a bit of a damper on my eagerness to watch this as I'm another one who hates this whole 'shaky-cam' trend. In 'some' movies, I can understand its discrete use for 'some' shots. In Battle:LA in the fighting and 'run n gun' scenes for example, but for the most part, it is being severely overused and abused these days and the Bourne movies you mentioned are perfect examples. I can see 'some' use of the shaky-cam thing in action scenes, especially in the chases to convey the 'extreme' speed and movement involved, but in the Bourne movies, the camera was ALWAYS shaking, even in shots during the meetings, where everyone was sitting still around a conference table. There is NO reason whatsoever for the camera to be shaking all over the place when everyone is sitting still. On a small TV set, it might be bearable. On my large projection screen, it caused motion sickness before I even finished the movie.

Max
post #28 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

This movie had 2 weeks or so in IMAX - can't imagine the shaky cam there.
post #29 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 11
I watched this movie in the theater, much worse than the book in my opinion.
post #30 of 65 Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
I enjoyed the Blu-Ray which was at least as good as the print I saw in a nice theater in NYC. You're right about an edge being missing, but they are never going to make a movie with young kids killing each other. That's why most of the cast is over 18. I was hoping for a director's cut with more mayhem, not just for action, but emotional impact. No dice. PG13 for Blu-Rays like this. The film is held together by Jennifer Lawrence. When she has the right role, she's a natural who is as good as anybody around. I'll take this Katnis and look forward to seeing her again.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hunger Games Blu Ray Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page