Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers & Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Reviews - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373637

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Galaxy International Releasing - 1988, 1989
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 88 minutes , 98 minutes
Genre: Horror, Thriller

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1, 1.78.1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Donald Pleasence, Ellie Cornell, Danielle Harris
Directed by: Dwight H. Little, Dominique Othenin-Girard
Written by: Alan B. McElroy, Dominique Othenin-Girard
Music by: Alan Howarth
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 21, 2012

"It's gonna be one hell of a family reunion!"

Film Synopsis:

Halloween 4: Ten years after his original massacre, the invalid Michael Myers awakens and returns to Haddonfield to kill his seven-year-old niece on Halloween. Can Dr. Loomis stop him?

Halloween 5: One year later after the events of Halloween 4, Michael survives the shootings and on October 31st he returns with a vengeance.

My Take:

260Lets call a spade a spade here. Halloween 4 and 5 were sub-par, generic slasher films that tried but field to cash in on the lightning in a bottle of John Carpenter's 1978 horror classic, Halloween. I admit to even enjoining the 1981 Rick Rosenthal directed Halloween 2 (I will be reviewing the Shout! Factory Collectors Edition next week), and lets just forget about the horribly off-topic Halloween 3, shall we?

The storyline of Halloween 4 & 5 follow Jamie Lloyd, the orphaned daughter of Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie Strode Character from Halloween 1 & 2. Jamie is played by Danielle Harris, who has become a slight scream queen of her own playing in such horror fare as Rob Zombie's Halloween and Hatchet 2. Upon transfer from a facility where he has lied in a coma since the end of Halloween 2, Micheal Meyers escapes when he overhears that he has a niece, and guess what? Goes visiting his old stomping grounds of Haddonfield, IL. This leads me to 2 questions. 1. Why would they transfer him around Halloween time? and 2. Why would anyone in that family stay in Haddonfield? OK, logic aside, we are treated to the familiar face and only saving grace of these sequels, Dr. Loomis played by the iconic Donald Pleasence. The normal beats ensue, with less impact than the originals, and we end with the "supposed" death of Micheal. No spoiler here, as part 5 is titled "The Revenge Of Micheal Meyers", that Micheal still lives, and this time he has been hanging out with an old hermit for a year before he starts killing again. This time the Meyers family bond is even stronger as the psychic connection (no not that 900 number from late night TV) between him and Jamie begins. She can foreshadow Micheal's killings and with the help of Loomis, they go after Micheal.

The truth of the matter is, no matter your level of horror fan, slasher buff, etc., if you think these are good movies, decent sequels or if you believe they do the Carpenter original(s) any justice, you are mistaken. Don't confuse that with some silly enjoyment you get out of seeing them, or if you like the any of the kills. First off, there is no menace left in The Shape (Meyers) and worse than that, by the time Part 5 comes on, Donald Pleasence's Dr. Loomis has become just a crazy old cook infatuated with Meyers, which I find an inevitable insult, as I loved Loomis in the original but do realize there is only so much "he is pure E-ville" we can hear without it becoming a parody of itself.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, language and sexual content

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Halloween 4 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21.2 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps. Halloween 4 is a bit...flat. Flat sonically and flat visually. The film had decently rendered details, and a natural color palette, however murky blacks and a less then stellar depth of field keep it from looking its best. Some banding rears its head as does a bit of wear on the source. It's definitely a set above a SD release, but a bit of love and care could make it go a long way. The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track sounded like a 3.0 track. Weak dynamics and no LFE to speak from mingled with a limited front sound-stage and weak sounding audio design. This was quite disappointing. 76

Halloween 5 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 188 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps.
The good news that this looks and sound better than part 4. Too bad its the lesser of the 2 flicks. The sound stage is more engaging, filling the room, with much more dynamic range and LFE. As for the video, there is much more POP, stronger blacks and shadow details as well is a more convincing depth of field. 82

Bonus Features:

• Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Meyers

• Audio Commentary with Actors Ellie Cornell and Danielle Harris

• Audio Commentary with Writer Alan B. McElory

• (HD) HALLOWEEN 4/5 Discussion Panel

• (HD) The Making of HALLOWEEN 4: Final Cut

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Meyers

• Audio Commentary with Director Dominique Othenin- Girard and Actors Danielle Harris and Jeffrey Landman

• Inside Halloween 5: Documentary featuring rare behind the scenes footage, a cut scene, and interviews with Danielle Harris, Ellie Cornell, Don Shanks, Executive Producer Moustapha Akkad and Cinematographer Rob Draper

• (HD) Introduction by Stars Danielle Harris and Ellie Cornell

• (HD) On-Set Halloween 5 Footage: Rare, never-before-seen footage taken on the set

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

Anchor Bay brings horror fans Halloween 4 and 5 (note: there are 2 separate releases) in HD for their for first time. Fans will buy these up, but all else I recommend a rental, if you NEED to see these. Part 4 is less on the A/V scale, however, the better of the two movies. A few audio commentaries as well as some watchable extras make it all the better for fans. I found the movies both sub-par and pedestrian horror flicks that I likley will never see again.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
M&K S-150MKII LCR
M&K S-150T Tri-Pole Surrounds
M&K MX-350MKII Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-27-2012, 08:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
2 old but classic horror movie, but I really don't so enjoy the horror movie. My favorite horror movie is Silent Hill
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Halloween 5 The Revenge Of Michael Myers Blu Ray , Halloween 4 The Return Of Michael Myers Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Halloween by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page