Titanic 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > Titanic 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 07:45 AM 09-10-2012
The disc art for the 3D version is not impressive at all I picked my copy off the UPS truck before I left work.. kind of a let down given this is my first 3D bluray and the cost of it.

imag0249o.jpg
imag0251j.jpg
imag0252q.jpg
imag0253ok.jpg
imag0254q.jpg

Also it has no region info so does that mean it's region free?

BestInTheWorld's Avatar BestInTheWorld 12:24 AM 09-11-2012
How would I do that?
adpayne's Avatar adpayne 10:03 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

So that is worth compromising OAR for? Horrible decision IMO. rolleyes.gif

It was the director's decision. He did the same thing with Avatar. If you don't like it, there is always the 2D version for you to watch. cool.gif
batutta's Avatar batutta 11:13 AM 09-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

It was the director's decision. He did the same thing with Avatar. If you don't like it, there is always the 2D version for you to watch. cool.gif

Avatar though was intended to be 1.78. They only converted it to 2.35 for 2D showings. But in case people are unclear, there are a couple different ways to shoot 2.35. Anamorphic widescreen, where the 2.35 image is squeezed by lenses to fit into a full 1.37:1 35mm image and then unsqueezed during projection, and Super 35mmm, where the 1.37 is matted to 2.35 during the print making process, basically letterboxing the image. Titanic was shot Super 35, which Cameron favored because it gave him more flexibility with lenses and lighting. For the 1.78 3D version, they just opened up the mattes, revealing more image on the top and bottom of the frame. It's not a pan and scan where you are missing information from the 2.35 version.
Rach's Avatar Rach 02:30 PM 09-11-2012
I watched the first disc of this in 3D last night and the audio is reference. The 3D conversion is great but I found the 1912 moments (most of the movie) fairly soft. The present day shots (1997) were spectacular. However, I still feel the 3D version makes the movie slightly better as you can feel the size and scope of the subject matter.
sillysally's Avatar sillysally 01:20 AM 09-13-2012
I am on the same page as Mr. Potts.

The best 3D movie I have seen as Mr. Potts so states in his review.

The Lady's hats in 3D, the detail in the wood work in 3D, was worth the price of admission.

ss
foxfan's Avatar foxfan 12:29 PM 09-13-2012
SubaruB4, if you want, there is the Fox international version that is available from the UK with completely different cover art. Confirmed region-free. Just received my copy today and plays flawlessly here.

Also it doesn't have the DTS audio glitch reported on the Paramount release (popping sound when the singing starts in the opening sequence).

Only drawback is having a Blu-ray case that is about as thick as a VHS box.
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 09:25 AM 09-16-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

SubaruB4, if you want, there is the Fox international version that is available from the UK with completely different cover art. Confirmed region-free. Just received my copy today and plays flawlessly here.
Also it doesn't have the DTS audio glitch reported on the Paramount release (popping sound when the singing starts in the opening sequence).
Only drawback is having a Blu-ray case that is about as thick as a VHS box.

Yeah I posted the sound file of that audio pop over at Blu-ray.com really the audio pop does not bother me, I also think we should at least had disc art for something like this.. Its not enough to make me want to buy the movie again.
Teisco's Avatar Teisco 09:58 AM 09-16-2012
So thats what 3d is supposed to look like! I rented this from my local Family Video to try out before buying and found it to be the best 3d I have seen yet. I still am not impressed with 3d though as the image, even in this production, looks like one of those pop up greeting cards you buy. It has less ghosting than anything I have seen yet (not sure if that is the correct term but meaning double imaging in my case or looking just a bit cross eyed). The picture also has much more depth than I thought it would and yet still retains a sharp, defined image.

I will buy this because it is amazing to watch and technically impressive.
threed123's Avatar threed123 07:59 AM 09-19-2012
Got my copy at Best Buy through their coupon deal for $25. Just got a 159" Dailite High Power to mount for my 3D Optoma HD3300. Can't wait. I really disliked most conversions done before this, so I've got some reservations, but maybe this will change my mind.
ozar's Avatar ozar 09:02 AM 09-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by threed123 View Post

I really disliked most conversions done before this, so I've got some reservations, but maybe this will change my mind.

I'm not a fan of post conversions to 3D either, but this is the best one I've seen to date, by far. In fact, I really have no complaints about this 3D conversion, so the fact that Cameron is such a perfectionist is a good thing for movie fans, I guess! smile.gif
adpayne's Avatar adpayne 11:29 AM 09-19-2012
Quote:

Just got a 159" Dailite High Power to mount for my 3D Optoma HD3300. Can't wait.

You will love the HP. 3D is amazing on my 8 foot screen, and yours is even bigger. eek.gif

Enjoy!

BTW, if I hadn't known this was a conversion, I never would have guessed it.
The Mice's Avatar The Mice 10:54 AM 09-20-2012
I bought the 3D version yesterday and watched it last night and was quite impressed. I personally am glad that James Cameron went with the 1.78 aspect ratio for this release. My viewing distance to my 55" TV is about 8 1/2 to 9 feet, and while it was good, it sort of had me wishing I had a 70" TV!
gonzalc3's Avatar gonzalc3 12:41 PM 09-20-2012
Great review Ralph! Totally agree with in this one...
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 01:14 PM 09-20-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalc3 View Post

Great review Ralph! Totally agree with in this one...

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Chris! cool.gif

Regards,
threed123's Avatar threed123 08:14 AM 09-24-2012
I watched the first disc last night on my new 159" High Power screen and Optoma HD3300. All I can say is, "wow." Like being there. I thought your review, Ralph, was spot on. The deck shots and feeling of depth were spectacular. I had the opportunity to visit a Titanic exhibit a couple of months ago, and they had a mock up of the Grand Ballroom staircase. Seeing it in 3D in the movie was quite moving. On the 159" screen it felt life size. Other memorable moments were: down in the boiler room--all those giant pistons and feeling of depth was breathtaking, and inside stateroom shots. This movie is a game changer for me. I never thought that a 2D to 3D conversion could look this good. The movie had a slight old-fashioned warm look of the original that took away some of the realism (could be my projector settings, but don't think so), plus the 3D made Kate Winslet look a little plump and puffy with a big head, and Leonardo looked younger with a smaller head. Other than that, the 2D to 3D conversion is excellent, and I'm now a believer--can't wait for other movies to be translated--like Alien, maybe.
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 08:59 AM 09-24-2012
Quote:

I watched the first disc last night on my new 159" High Power screen and Optoma HD3300. All I can say is, "wow." Like being there. I thought your review, Ralph, was spot on. The deck shots and feeling of depth were spectacular. I had the opportunity to visit a Titanic exhibit a couple of months ago, and they had a mock up of the Grand Ballroom staircase. Seeing it in 3D in the movie was quite moving. On the 159" screen it felt life size. Other memorable moments were: down in the boiler room--all those giant pistons and feeling of depth was breathtaking, and inside stateroom shots. This movie is a game changer for me. I never thought that a 2D to 3D conversion could look this good. The movie had a slight old-fashioned warm look of the original that took away some of the realism (could be my projector settings, but don't think so), plus the 3D made Kate Winslet look a little plump and puffy with a big head, and Leonardo looked younger with a smaller head. Other than that, the 2D to 3D conversion is excellent, and I'm now a believer--can't wait for other movies to be translated--like Alien, maybe.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your experience threed123. I am glad that you enjoyed Titanic in 3D.. smile.gif

Regards,
Franin's Avatar Franin 06:14 AM 09-25-2012
I watched the 2D version last night, fantastic!! Very impressed smile.gif
FieldingMelish's Avatar FieldingMelish 03:08 PM 09-25-2012
It's been sufficiently long since I saw the original on the big screen in the 90's. Ralph's review and the 3D aspect helped me make the move to obtain this one. I haven't seen it yet but enjoyed some of the extras. I also enjoyed reading the polarized reviews of the movie on the IMDB site. Yes, there's schmaltz before the action, but seeing 3D schmaltz is something I am looking forward to. I wonder how the nude scene was handled in 3D? Looking forward to finding out.
Papai2011's Avatar Papai2011 08:52 AM 11-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieldingMelish View Post

I wonder how the nude scene was handled in 3D? Looking forward to finding out.

The image is opened up a bit and cropped a bit(horizontally). Don't worry, you do get to feast your eyes on Kate Winslet's cute buttock though! Like a Painting, Ahh!
SubaruB4's Avatar SubaruB4 09:13 AM 11-02-2012
About how I remember it in the theater.
Papai2011's Avatar Papai2011 12:14 PM 11-02-2012
The only thing that bugs me about the 3D Bluray is that it is not really Full open-matte. It is pan & scan in many scenes straight from the scope frame without any extra info vertically. Sometimes it is selective pan & scan, meaning it is cropped horizontally and opened up vertically. Sometimes it is full open-matte.
But keep in mind the Bluray 2D version which includes the most width is also cropped further horizontally than its previous home video counterpart. The 4 Disc Special Edition DVD contained more image horizontally, which is cropped in the Blu Ray! Also it appears as if, in some shots the image has been horizontally squeezed to make it 16:9, probably because they could get away with it without the image being a distraction.
remember that Cameron said that 'there is nothing cropped, there is added material in the 1.78:1 image'. Its not entirely a true statement.
MRMckeen4's Avatar MRMckeen4 11:35 AM 11-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
The 2D version is included however it is framed at 2.35:1. The 1.78:1 framing is only for the 3D version which won't load/play without a 3D capable system.
Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

So there's no way to watch the 1.78 in 2D mode? Darn...

good to know!
Taranteacher's Avatar Taranteacher 09:32 AM 11-13-2012
I had forgotten how good a movie this actually was, and this I'm saying about having only seen the 2D version on DVD! But this Blu-ray 3D...boy, oh, boy, is absolutely breathtaking!!! I hadn't been moved by a movie like I was the other night I finally had a chance to see it, even after knowing the whole plot! I seriously am of the opinion the 3D is superbly used (albeit converted) as a means to convey the overwhelmingness (if that's a word!) of the event as a whole! I didn't even mind having to swap discs midway through, and I didn't even feel the 3 hours and 15 minutes go by! What a great way to celebrate its 100th anniversary! Speaking of which, the opening Paramount 100th anniversary in 3D and in 1.78:1 AR is stunningly beautiful as well! Can't say enough! cool.gif

Folks, this is one Blu-ray 3D bundle you have sooooo gots to get! It does not disappoint one bit!

Thank you, Ralph! And, thank you James Cameron! You are the man!
Cyrano's Avatar Cyrano 12:04 AM 01-16-2014
We just finished watching the 3D version and it was first rate. It is the closest use of 3D to what I see in real life yet for me. The depth was very real. We watched a bit of the 2D afterwards and it is amazing how much more satisfying the 3D is when it comes to realism. It gives me hope that 3D might someday become a regular tool for filmmakers.

Excellent work.
Tags: Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies
1  2

Up
Mobile  Desktop