Studio and Year: Paramount - 1997
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 194 minutes
Genre:Drama/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1/2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, English, French, Spanish
Starring:Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslett, Kathy Bates, Billy Zane, Bill Paxton, Gloria Stuart, Frances Fisher, Jonathan Hyde, Danny Nucci, David Warner, Victor Garber, Bernard Hill
Written & Directed by: James Cameron
Music by: James Horner
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 10, 2012

"Nothing on Earth could come between them"

Film Synopsis:

Nothing on earth can rival the epic spectacle and breathtaking grandeur of Titanic, the sweeping love story that sailed into the hearts of moviegoers around the world, ultimately emerging as the most popular motion picture of all time. Leonardo DiCaprio and Oscar -nominee Kate Winslet light up the screen as Jack and Rose, the young lovers who find one another on the maiden voyage of the "unsinkable" R.M.S. Titanic. But when the doomed luxury liner collides with an iceberg in the frigid North Atlantic, their passionate love affair becomes a thrilling race for survival.

My Take:

From acclaimed filmmaker James Cameron, Titanic is a tale of forbidden love and courage in the face of disaster that triumphs as a true cinematic masterpiece. The story of the R.M.S. Titanic is something that interested me going back to my younger years. I honestly can’t recall the first time I heard about it but I remember it affected me. It wasn’t something that I researched or anything but I always looked at it as one of our history’s significant events (I felt the same way about The Hindenberg).

When the film was released in 1997 the hoopla surrounding it was hard to miss. It seemed like everyone was talking about it either to complain about its syrupy love romance and lengthy run time or to marvel at its superbly crafted story and earth shattering special effects. I sat firmly on the fence about seeing it in the theater until I happened to be at the movies and after the film I was seeing ended poked my head in to a theater where Titanic was (still) playing. It was during the early parts of the sinking as Jack and Rose were running through the bowels of the ship with water rushing in from every direction. I watched maybe five or six minutes and decided I needed to catch it all so I left and came back the following day.

Not at all what I expected, I thoroughly enjoyed it and still do. Titanic is truly an experience. Epic in scope, grandiose in execution it is a trans-generational film that I find haunting, tragic, and engaging. Being a romantic I can’t help but root for Jack and Rose. I find the inspirational message that rises from the tragedy that is their love to be one of the film’s most defining moments. James Horner’s sweeping music is a masterpiece that underscores that film’s emotive theme. I like the concept of setting the events surrounding the ill-fated ocean liner’s sinking to a love story. Yes we all know how the story of Titanic ultimately ends but integrating that with a tale of two young lovers that experience it coupled along with the many factual details and their visual recreation is fascinating to me.

The script is well crafted, historically significant and contains elements of melodrama, thrills, suspense, romance and humor. The characters are wonderfully drawn and represented by a superb ensemble of acting talent headlined by Leonardo DiCpario and Kate Winslett but everyone including Billy Zane (in one of his best performances), Frances Fisher, Kathy Bates, Jonathan Hyde, Victor Garber, David Warner and Gloria Stuart are deserving of praise. It goes without saying that James Cameron is a visionary and pioneering director with a penchant for groundbreaking films. Titanic is an effects laden spectacle that (at the time) pushed the envelope. Fifteen years later it hasn’t lost any of its luster/appeal and is still as marvelous as it was the first time I saw it. I have owned several of its releases on DVD, the most recent of which is the Special Collector’s Edition. I have waited patiently for its arrival on Blu-ray. I am thrilled to report that the wait was well worth it. Read on…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for disaster related peril and violence, nudity, sensuality and brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Titanic 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

Titanic wasn’t shot natively in 3D and was converted (and re-matted/framed at 1.78:1) in post- production. Large portions of the film were shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements translates positively here. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There is little use of 3D imagery that goes well beyond the screen’s borders but natural dimension abounds which enhances the “being there” effect. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. Comparing color and fleshtone reproduction to the 2D presentation I found the 3D presentation to be just a tad warmer but not unnaturally so. The rendering of detail and clarity is identical. I couldn’t help but feel a slight preference for the 3D version but that is probably more of a placebo effect. You can’t go wrong either way.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is highlighted by robust dynamics and James Horner’s superlative music score. The orchestrated elements are spread across the soundstage and blend beautifully with the film’s variety of sounds/effects to create a transparent well focused presentation. Panning sequences are delivered with seamless precision which make for a cohesive listening experience. High level detail and excellent directional correlation enables smaller background sounds within the mix to be audible. Dialogue is definitively reproduced with refining clarity and discerning room penetration through the center channel. Surround activity is effectively used to broaden the sound field and primarily consists of enveloping ambience along with discretely placed effects that integrate well with the front speakers. The soundstage opens up during the large scale set pieces, beginning with the iceberg collision, and delivers solid impact and clearly articulated audio that allows all of the sonic detail within the soundtrack to be distinguishable. Bass reproduction is clean with palpable presence that adds depth to the music score and low level punch that underscores the action based sequences. Titanic is a film that relies as much on its quiet moments as it does on the more active ones. This is a well balanced audio presentation that handled each with aplomb and sounded magnificent in the process.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Titanic comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps.

Titanic is a film that I have looked forward to seeing in high definition and the results are superb. The film’s period colors are naturally depicted with vivid textures and pleasing primaries that appear rich without over emphasis. Fleshtones appear lifelike with a mildly warm essence that conveys rosy complexions that don’t appear unnaturally pinkish. Images are noticeably detailed and sharp which draws out plenty of delineation and texture within clothing, physical features, and objects onscreen. Long range visuals are resolved with above average clarity and depth which highlights the film’s superlative cinematography. The higher resolution allows some the seams in the CGI to be noticeable but that’s to be expected and isn’t a problem. Contrast is spot on and blacks exhibit excellent dynamic range and pop nicely when onscreen with mixed content. Dark sequences have appreciable dimension and sufficient shadow detail that combine with the video’s higher resolution to enhance depth perception. The video has an undisturbed and light veneer of grain that imparts a filmic texture. I found little to complain about with this superb1080p rendering that presents this film in its finest light since coming to home video.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1 (Blu-ray 3D):

• Feature film in high definition and 3D (Part 1)

Disc 2 (Blu-ray 3D):

• Feature film in high definition and 3D (Part 2)

Disc 3 (Blu-ray):

• Feature film in high definition

• Commentary by director James Cameron

• Cast and Crew Commentary

• Historical Commentary by Don Lynch and Ken Marschall

Disc 4 (Blu-ray):

• Documentaries

o (HD) Reflections on Titanic (New) – Four part documentary totaling 60 minutes

o (HD) Titanic: The Final Word with James Cameron (New) - 96 minute documentary

• 30 Deleted Scenes with intro/commentary by James Cameron

• Behind-the-Scenes Featurettes – 61 production pieces that peek behind the curtain

• Construction Timelapse (with commentary by Ed Marsh) – 4 minutes

• Deep Dive Presentation—Narrated by James Cameron – 15 minutes

• $200,000,001: A Ship’s Odyssey—the Titanic Crew Video – 17 minutes of fun with the cast/crew

• Videomatics – 3 sequences

• Visual Effects – 4 sequences

• Music Video—“My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion

• Trailers

• TV Spots

• Still Galleries:

o Titanic Scriptment by James Cameron

o Storyboard Sequences

o Production Artwork

o Photographs

o Ken Marshall’s Painting Gallery

o Concept Posters and One Sheets

o By the Numbers

o Bibliography

• Titanic Parodies:

o MTV’s 1998 Movie Awards skit

o Saturday Night Live skit

o Titanic in 30 Seconds
  • Digital Copy of Titanic
0989cf96_Titanic3D_BD-Combo_2D_SKEW_06-06.jpeg

Final Thoughts:

Winner of 11 Academy Awards Titanic is a sweeping and memorable epic film that remains among my personal favorites. It makes its debut on Blu-ray in this four disc offering that includes resplendent 3D/2D high definition video, terrific 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a comprehensive assortment of bonus supplements that presents fans with an in-depth look behind the scenes and beyond. In addition to this release Titanic is available in a four disc Blu-ray release that contains the 2D version, DVD (parts 1&2), and the separate bonus material disc. Unless you want the DVD or definitively never plan to go the 3D route my recommendation would be to get this release. If you don’t currently have a3D capable system you’ll have the film in 3D should you upgrade in the future. This outstanding Blu-ray package from Paramount Home Entertainment gets my highest recommendation. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Rob West likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nice review, Ralph--looking forward to getting this (2D version) next week.

Bob

post #3 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Thanks again for the review. I'll be grabbing the 3D version
post #4 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Ralph: Thanks for the nice review. Waiting for the 2D version from Amazon.
post #5 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This is the second review that says the 3D is very, very good. I might have to purchase on curiousity alone!
post #6 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 03:56 PM

Several good reviews of the 3D version! I'm very tempted to jump on it!
post #7 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I saw it in IMAX 3D in the theater and was quite impressed, so I look forward to picking up the 3D version!
post #8 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 06:27 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Thanks for the review Ralph will definitely be picking this up (2D version).

Frank

post #9 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

My copy has been on pre-order for quite a while now, so really looking forward to seeing it. I almost passed on the 3D version, but decided what the heck at the last minute before placing the order. Glad to read that the 3D turned out well.

Thanks again...

oz
post #10 of 55 Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Great Review as usual Ralph! I'm really glad to hear this looks and sounds as awesome as I remember it.. well I don't really remember it as this is the first movie my wife and I saw in the Theater together so I can't wait to pick it up and enjoy the experience again!

Cheers!
post #11 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Titanic will be my first 3D blu-ray purchase.
But will wait patiently for Black Friday before buying. biggrin.gif

post #12 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Why is the 3d version 1.78? confused.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #13 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Why is the 3d version 1.78? confused.gif

So it will fill the screen to take better advantage of the 3D, he opened up the mattes of the 35mm frame.
Rob West likes this.
post #14 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

So it will fill the screen to take better advantage of the 3D, he opened up the mattes of the 35mm frame.

So that is worth compromising OAR for? Horrible decision IMO. rolleyes.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just posted in the 2.35 forum about this,will it still be watchable on scope set-up.
post #16 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I like the fact that he opened it up to 1.78:1. Of course, I would have an issue of cropping a 2.35:1 image to 1.78:1, but that's not what happened here. I'm sort of a 1.78:1 convert since getting my new Elite - I like the larger image, especially when viewing 3D content. Great review, Ralph, as usual smile.gif
Rob West likes this.
post #17 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Can't wait to see this in a new perspective (3D and open to 1.78/1.85). Also is it 1.78 or 1.85 and what ratio was it shown in the theater in 3D?
post #18 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Totally agree Ralph. Great review.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #19 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM
CIH USER

So 2D is only in scope Ralph?

Frank

post #20 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Totally agree Ralph. Great review.

Greetings,

Thanks Dave.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #21 of 55 Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

So 2D is only in scope Ralph?

Greetings,

That's correct Frank.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #22 of 55 Old 09-06-2012, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ugh. Another blu-ray I got to pick up. It's killing me! frown.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the review Ralph! Excellent as always.

When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. Potts. cool.gif
post #23 of 55 Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

biggrin.gif
Thanks for the review Ralph! Excellent as always.
When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. Potts. cool.gif

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #24 of 55 Old 09-07-2012, 04:42 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
That's correct Frank.
Regards,

Thank you Ralph. smile.gif Btw did this movie made your collection?

Frank

post #25 of 55 Old 09-07-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
I'm waiting for mine to arrive from Amazon on Monday, don't have a 3D set yet but that will change soon.
post #26 of 55 Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thank you Ralph. smile.gif Btw did this movie made your collection?

Greetings,

Absolutely Frank..wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #27 of 55 Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM

If I buy the 3D version for the 1.78 screen format (It'll fill my projected image screen better), but don't have 3D capabilities in my home theater, will I still get the picture in 2D without blurriness?
post #28 of 55 Old 09-09-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

If I buy the 3D version for the 1.78 screen format (It'll fill my projected image screen better), but don't have 3D capabilities in my home theater, will I still get the picture in 2D without blurriness?

Greetings,

The 2D version is included however it is framed at 2.35:1. The 1.78:1 framing is only for the 3D version which won't load/play without a 3D capable system.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #29 of 55 Old 09-09-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
The 2D version is included however it is framed at 2.35:1. The 1.78:1 framing is only for the 3D version which won't load/play without a 3D capable system.
Regards,

So there's no way to watch the 1.78 in 2D mode? Darn...
post #30 of 55 Old 09-10-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

So there's no way to watch the 1.78 in 2D mode? Darn...
You can rip the left eye of your bought 3D version and watch in 1.78 2D. Color timing and/or brightness levels may be different.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Titanic Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page