Person of Interest: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 436
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2011
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 1008 minutes
Genre: TV/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1,78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1, French/Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Jim Caviezel, Michael Emerson, Taraji P. Hensen, Kevin Chapman
Directed by: Various
Music by: Ramin Djawadi
Written by: Jonathan Nolan/Various
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 4, 2012

"You’re being watched…"

Film Synopsis:

Set in New York City, this procedural centers on an ex-CIA agent, presumed dead, who partners with a mysterious billionaire to prevent violent crimes. Using data siphoned off the U.S. intelligence agencies' threat matrix -- information not related to terrorism, but rather violent crimes of a personal nature -- during each episode, the former CIA agent and his enigmatic partner identify a "person of interest" and set about solving the mystery of the impending crime. Tapping into the world's Big Brother-like surveillance network, the shadowy duo knows that something bad is going to happen; it's their mission to discover what that event will be ... and somehow prevent it.

My Take:

A supercomputer developed by reclusive billionaire and software genius Harold Finch analyzes data patterns in surveillance for the U.S. Government to identify impending acts of terrorism. But the computer, known only as “The Machine”, can also identify ordinary people who are about to be involved in violent crimes. Can those crimes be stopped before they take place? Secretly tapping in The Macine, Finch and ex-CIA operative John Reese use vigilante tactics and state-of –the-art technology to identify the soon-to-be victims and prevent the crimes from occurring. In the meantime NYPD detective Joss Carter is drawn into the cases and seeks to solve the mystery of the “man in the suit” who seems to always be one step ahead.

There is quite a bit of quality programming to be found on regular TV (meaning non-cable) today which makes it pretty difficult to try and sift through what to watch versus what not to, even with a DVR. Person of interest is a show that I heard good things about but simply never got around to watching probably because the premise wouldn’t interest my wife. With my rather hectic review schedule there isn’t a lot of time to watch TV shows on my own. When I saw the press announcement for the Blu-ray release of season one I jumped at the chance. The “Eye in the sky” concept about “The Machine” is a bit of a stretch but once you get past that the idea of these two very different men conjoining to covertly prevent crimes actually works well.

Each hour long (43 minutes without commercials) episode involves a differing case/subject although there is an underlying/continuing subplot that focuses on Harold Finch’s back story. The changing storyline allows for varying guest stars to appear each week along with the core cast of Jim Cavaziel, Michael Emerson, Taraji P. Hensen and Kevin Chapman. The show contains elements of sci-fi, drama, mystery/suspense and action with the blend gelling surprisingly well. The show’s pilot (along with an extended version) is included in this set and provides a good setup for the series’ foundational structure. The writing is quite good and supports the characters with various plots containing edgy themes set within the show’s narrative construct. I find it to be fairly compelling and enjoy the intervening nature of Reese/Finch’s methodical operation as well as Reese’s take no prisoner approach. One of the things that make reviewing TV series appealing to me is the option to go from one episode to the next without having to wait a week (or longer!). Person of interest is an entertaining crime story drama with a twist that allows it to appeal to a wide audience.

Season One’s 23 episodes are spread over four BD-50 Blu-ray Discs that come housed in a standard amaray style case (with flimsy matching slipcover) that contains flip type inserts to hold the discs. The set includes the series on DVD as well which pushes the disc count to ten requiring the case to be roughly the height of two single Blu-ray cases.

I have added Person of interest to my watch list and look forward to checking out season two this fall. Here is the season one episode list:

1. Pilot
2. Ghosts
3. Mission Creep
4. Cura Te Ipsum
5. Judgment
6. The Fix
7. Witness
8. Foe
9. Get Carter
10. Number Crunch
11. Super
12. Legacy
13. Root Cause
14. Wolf and Cub
15. Blue Code
16. Risk
17. Baby Blue
18. Identity Crisis
19. Flesh and Blood
20. Matsya Nyaya
21. Many Happy Returns
22. No Good Deed
23. Firewall

Parental Guide:

The show contains violence and thematic content that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Person of interest Season One comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.3 Mbps.

By choice I would say that Person of interest isn’t bright or overly colorful. The chromatic palette consists mainly of cooler tones and muted secondary hues with the occasional interjection of primary colors that don’t offer much in the way of visual stimulation. This makes for a rougher visual style that works quite well with the show’s thematic tone. Resolution is excellent but the nature of the photography isn’t always lent to the high gloss definition that provides an infinite sense of depth. There are many instances where detail is clearly resolvable with discerning visual perspective and rich clarity. On the other hand there are times where delineation and sharpness is less tangibly defining. Close ups tend to be outstanding and offer plenty of appreciable refinement in the physical features and weave of the fabric in the clothing worn by the cast. Contrast is stable over the course of the presentation and blacks, while not inky, have good dynamic range and are gradationally satisfying. I didn’t note any overt signs of video related anomalies and thought that this presentation as a whole was excellent.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound like the video quality is quite good. Dynamics are robust and defining without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with appreciable tonal expression and excellent room penetration through the center channel speaker. The front soundstage is diffused with notable separation and articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving listening environment that contains a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides a tight, punchy low end.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary on the broadcast and extended pilot episodes

• (HD) Extended pilot episode – 55 minutes

• (HD) Living in an age of surveillance – 15 minute featurette

• (HD) Gag reel – 2 minutes

• Bonus DVD: 23 episodes on six discs

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Person of interest is an entertaining crime story TV drama with a twist that deepens its plot making it appealing to those that enjoy not only crime stories but action, mystery and a little sci-fi as well. Season one makes its debut on Blu-ray featuring excellent audio/video quality and a barebones supplemental offering that contains an extended episode of the series pilot, a bland feature on living in an age of surveillance and a short gag reel. I thoroughly enjoyed the show and look forward to checking out season two this fall. If you’re a fan or are looking for a decent series to check out on Blu-ray Person of interest Season one is worth picking up.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks Ralph! I love this show! Especially Jim Caviezel, I think he does a good job of a "former" spy.

Jeff
post #3 of 3 Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have this in my queue and will give it a rent after I watch a few other shows I have been meaning to get through. My queue alone has nearly 30 spots taken up that are just TV shows. Definitely going to take me a while to get through. I meant to watch this when it aired on CBS, but I had so many other shows I had already invested time in.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Person Of Interest Season One Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Person by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page