The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 437
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner – 2011/2012
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 498 minutes
Genre: TV/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Johnny Galecki, Jim Parsons, Kaley Cuoco, Simon Helberg, Kunal Nayyar, Melissa Rauch, Mayim Bialek
Directed by: Mark Cendrowski
Music by: The Bare Naked Ladies
Written by: Various
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 11, 2012

"Embrace the chaos"

Film Synopsis:

Regarding the opposite sex, they’re on a steep learning curve. In every other sense, they’re geniuses. Join physicists Leonard Hofstadter (Johnny Galecki) and Sheldon Cooper (Jim Parsons) as they ponder black holes, chemical deviations, girls, and other mysteries of the universe in all 24 phenomenally funny episodes of Season Five. With Penny (Kaley Cuoco) and Leonard’s relationship in uncharted terrain, Sheldon, Howard (Simon Helberg), and Raj (Kunal Nayyar) discover that the feminine mystique is something that cannot be easily graphed or calculated. As they muddle through relationship “bugs” and romance re-launches, they also discover it’s nothing a good roll of the D&D dice or a paintball tournament can’t solve.

My Take:

The geniuses of The Big Bang Theory get thrown for a bell curve in all 24 episodes of the phenomenally funny fifth season of the hit show. In "TV's top-rated comedy" (New York Post), Penny and Leonard's relationship is relaunched in full "Beta Test" mode, while Sheldon, Howard and Raj discover the feminine mystique is something that cannot be easily graphed or calculated. As Sheldon makes begrudging amendments to his "Relationship Agreement" with his "friend-who-happens-to-be-a-girl" Amy Farrah Fowler, Raj contemplates an arranged marriage, and Howard is all-systems-go for both his NASA space launch and wedding to the spirited Bernadette.

I think we began watching The Big Bang Theory during its first season simply by happenstance and have never looked back. Consistently funny and extremely well written it’s one of the best half hours in prime time. Season Five proves the show hasn’t lost its luster even after 100 episodes. The show is reminiscent of Seinfeld in that it creates pitch perfect comedic situations derived from moments of inanity revolving around character driven elements. I never tire of the series’ superb interaction among the principles, fly on the wall perspective and awkwardly hilarious humor that appeal to a broad audience demographic.

Season Five is solid and as a whole is every bit as much fun as the preceding seasons. Here are a few of my favorite moments:

• Howard & Bernadette - He announces he is going into space

• Amy, Penny and the painting

• Sheldon meets Stephen Hawking

• Sheldon, Leonard and the roommate agreement

• “The skank reflex analysis” episode

• Sheldon blows Amy off for Star Wars

• “The stag convergence” episode

• There was a time when I would have said that Sheldon/Jim Parsons was what I found to be the catalyst that drove the shows best moments. While he still provides much of the fun I now find lots to enjoy in the show’s combinations of characters. Pretty much anytime Bernadette and Howard are alone together is great stuff. Penny, Bernadette, and Amy or any combination thereof is usually good for chuckles. Amy and Sheldon...’nuff said. Raj and the Skype calls from his parents generally leave few stones unturned. It goes without saying that the staple of what makes the show fire on all cylinders is the gathering of Raj, Leonard, Sheldon and Howard and the wonderfully crafted banter that ensues between them.

To say that the series’ creators struck gold with the cast/crew of The Big Bang Theory would be an understatement. We never miss it and look forward to the debut of season six. Season five’s 24 episodes are spread over two BD-50 Blu-ray Discs that come housed in a standard amaray style case (with matching slipcover) that contains flip type inserts to hold the discs. The set includes the series on DVD as well which pushes the disc count to five requiring the case to be slightly thicker than a single Blu-ray case.

Parental Guide:

The show contains thematic material and mature themes that would be inappropriate for young viewers (say under the age of 13).

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
    REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Big bang theory season five comes to Blu-ray from Warner featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 16 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 1.7 Mbps.

This show has a distinctive visual style that utilizes oversaturated colors and warm accents. The results are a bit unnatural but perfectly keeping in the show’s thematic style. Fleshtones are on the warm side but are tonally balanced and lifelike in depiction. Contrast is stable and blacks are strong which enriches the simultaneous reproduction of bright and dark images onscreen. Resolution is discerning as images have excellent depth and appreciable delineation with clarity that accents the fine detail in facial features and objects. Sharpness wavers here and there and low level details tend to lack the dimensionality of brighter ones but neither is a detrimental. I didn’t see any obvious signs of video related anomalies. I would say that this 1080p rendering bests the 1080i cable broadcast hands down.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio lossless soundtrack mimics the show’s TV presentation. Dialogue is intelligible with appreciable intonation and vocal distinction among the cast. The soundstage across the front three channels maintains a centrally localized perspective but doesn’t feel compressed or lacking in room penetration. Dynamics are on the anemic side and the lack of low frequency support is notable although based on the show’s elements there is little need for them. The surround channels are used to convey ambience/extension associated with the opening theme song and each of the scene transitions. Otherwise there is little about the soundtrack that incorporates surround sound.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) The Big Bang Theory @ 100 (Disc 1) – 10 minute featurette on the series 100th episode

• (HD) Professors of production – 15 minute featurette on the show’s crew

• (HD) Gag reel – 8 minutes

• (HD) The Big Bang Theory’s laws of reflection – The cast talks about their favorite moments from Season Five (11 minutes)

• Bonus DVD: 24 episodes on three discs

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Big Bang Theory is consistently funny, extremely well written and is simply one of the best half hours in prime time television. Season Five proves the show hasn’t lost its luster and after 100 episodes is still going strong. Season five comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Video featuring faithful high definition audio/video and a light but worthwhile supplemental package. If you’re the kind that enjoys revisiting this show’s hilarious episodes over and over this season five Blu-ray offering is just the ticket. If you’ve never seen The Big Bang Theory I suggest you check your local listings and catch season six this fall.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My favorite TV shows, and the next season is coming on October!
post #3 of 5 Old 09-10-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Hilarious show...lets my inner-geek laugh with delight biggrin.gif

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #4 of 5 Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review! smile.gif
"TV's top-rated comedy", as New York Post has put it, and Sheldon/Jim Parsons would be the catalyst to drive the best part of it. I couldn't agree with you more, I love this guy! Expecting for the next season while I watching the old seasons over and over again. tongue.gif
BTW, I also love comedies like "Friends" and "Seinfeld‘', these three are my favorites. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Looking back, I can't believe this show is 5 seasons in already. It really does not seem like there has been 5 seasons. I have watched this show from the very beginning too.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Big Bang Theory The Complete Fifth Season , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page