Halloween II & Halloween III: Season Of The Witch (Collectors Editions) (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 102
799f004f_Halloween2cover.jpeg
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373637

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal Studios - 1981, 1982
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 93 minutes , 99 minutes
Genre: Horror, Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 5.1, DTS-HD Mono
Subtitles: N/A
Starring: Jamie Lee Curtis, Donald Pleasence, Tom Atkins
Directed by: Tommy Lee Wallace
Written by: John Carpenter, Debra Hill,, Tommy Lee Wallace
Music by: John Carpenter, Alan Howarth
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 18, 2012

"Just when you thought it was safe to go trick or treating..."

Film Synopsis:

Halloween II: Laurie Strode is rushed to the hospital, while Sheriff Brackett and Dr. Loomis hunt the streets for Michael Myers, who has found Laurie at the Haddonfield Hospital.
Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373637

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch: A large Halloween mask-making company has plans to kill millions of American children with something sinister hidden in Halloween masks.
Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373637

My Take:

Picking up exactly where the first film left off, Halloween II does a commendable job looking and feeling much like 1978 classic. This time Laurie (Jamie Lee Curtis) is taken to Haddonfield Memorial hospital to be treated for the wounds suffered from the evenings encounters with big bro, Micheal Meyers. As Meyers makes his way to find Laurie, Dr. Loomis (Donald "The Man" Pleasence) is hot on the trail, all leading to a showdown at the Hospital. Though not directed by Carpenter, it is written by and produced by him and Debra Hill, keeping the sensibilities of the original but adding in a bit more blood as it had to compete with the many 80s slasher flicks the original Halloween spawned. Halloween II sits much like Jaws 2 does in its canon-- it's cut from the same cloth, but doesn't quite live up to the magic of the original.

9f0f7e90_Halloween3cover.jpeg

Halloween III: Season Of The Witch was a good Idea in theory. The producers wanted to make a new story based on Halloween, that would come out every October, making the Halloween name a serial of sorts. Unfortunately, fans of the first 2 were really put-off with the new story line and Halloween III bombed. I remember disliking it as well (thought it had some spooky art on its original poster), and have not seen it for at least twenty years until this viewing. The plot takes off from the Wiccan angle presented in part 2, and involves a Mask Company run by an occult worshiper who has a big surprise for kids wearing these masks come Halloween night. As silly as it sounds, each mask has a piece of Stonehenge in then and the kids will all die when unless stopped by Dr. Daniel Challis (Tom Atkins, The Fog, Night Of The Creeps). It was not as bad as I remembered, and if it was called just "Season Of The Witch", might have been a bit more of a success.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, language and sexual content

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Halloween II comes to Blu-ray Disc from Shout! Factory featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21.2 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.2 Mbps. 78

Halloween 3: Season Of The Witch comes to Blu-ray Disc from Shout! Factory featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18.8 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD MA Mono sound that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps. 86

Halloween II is a very pleasing release from Shout! Factory. I have not seen the other Blu-ray editions of the film, but this is very impressive. Blacks are stable as are shadow detail, which is quite important as this is a dark film. Colors are as I remember, never too vibrant, but perfectly sterile like the hospital environment. Don't expect a revelatory experience, but expect to pleased with a 32 year old horror flick. As far as the audio goes, it was awesome. This newly minted 5.1 track leaves nothing on the table as it has strong LFE, chilling surrounds that include the infamous score, and dialogue that is easily discernible. Halloween III is a strong transfer as well, and thought a mono mix, the audio was surprisingly decent. Yes, it lacks the rear effects that can scare and fill a room, and also missing the LFE, this track is impressive with both its clarity and dynamic range. The video is on par with part II, and shares the same cinematographer Dean Cundey (Apollo 13, Back to the Future). The difference here are the colors, which pop a bit more. I enjoyed both of these films presentations.

Bonus Features:

• Halloween II

• Audio commentary with director Rick Rosenthal and actor Leo Rossi

• Audio commentary with stunt co-ordinator/actor Dick Warlock

• Halloween 2 Television Cut with added footage not seen in the theatrical version

• (HD) The Nightmare Isn’t Over: The Making Of Halloween II

• (HD) Horror’s Hallowed Grounds: The Locations of Halloween II

• (HD) Deleted Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary from director Rick Rosenthal

• (HD) Alternate Ending with Optional Audio Commentary from director Rick Rosenthal

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• (HD) TV aand Radio Spots

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• (HD) Still Gallery

• Halloween III: Season Of The Witch

• Audio Commentary with director Tommy Lee Wallace

• Audio Commentary with actor Tom Atkins

• (HD) Stand Alone: The Making Of Halloween III: Season Of The Witch

• (HD) Horror’s Hallowed Grounds - Revisiting the original shooting locations

• (HD) Theatrical Trailers and TV Spots

• (HD) Still Gallery

Final Thoughts:

Shout! Factory treats horror fans Halloween II and III (note: these are 2 separate releases) in these dense Collectors Editions. Each comes with a reversible cover featuring the original film art as well as new illustrations by Nathan Thomas Millner. Packed with commentaries, 2 new "Making Of's" as well as many other little goodies, these editions are the best available for both films and worth a place on fans shelves. As a heads up, the added footage in the Halloween II TV cut is available in the "Deleted Scenes" extra as well.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
M&K S-150MKII LCR
M&K S-150T Tri-Pole Surrounds
M&K MX-350MKII Subwoofers

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Most other people disliked it, but Halloween III was definitely a favorite movie of both me and my father. I remember we would make an effort to see it each year in October.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mice View Post

Most other people disliked it, but Halloween III was definitely a favorite movie of both me and my father. I remember we would make an effort to see it each year in October.

You're not alone. I really enjoyed that film. It's a good film on its own and the problem from most is that they can't separate it from the Halloween name. I may have shared the name, but it was never intended to be related to those movies in any ways.

I'm glad to see it on Blu-ray finally and I will be picking it up once the price goes down.
post #4 of 11 Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed. I saw Halloween III when I was about 11 years old, and it freaked me out. The ending was great too.

Doesn't belong in the Michael Myers "Halloween" universe, but it's a great movie regardless.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban72 View Post

Agreed. I saw Halloween III when I was about 11 years old, and it freaked me out. The ending was great too.
Doesn't belong in the Michael Myers "Halloween" universe, but it's a great movie regardless.

eek.gif I've heard of these movies for years, but I haven't dared to watch either of them. mad.gif
I prefer comedy, lol.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayban72 View Post

Agreed.

Sorry Lee, but I also feel that this review gives away too much including the major surprise of the film.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM

So, guys, have you heard about the news of Halloween's re-release from October 25 to 30?
Thought you guys may be intersed in this news, though I'm not watching it myself. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Walker View Post

So, guys, have you heard about the news of Halloween's re-release from October 25 to 30?
Thought you guys may be intersed in this news, though I'm not watching it myself. biggrin.gif

Are you talking about the theatrical re-release of Halloween?

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #9 of 11 Old 09-24-2012, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Are you talking about the theatrical re-release of Halloween?

Yes, it is said to be put on big screen once again and will be shown in many participating theaters during that period. smile.gif
post #10 of 11 Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Here's a list of all the theaters nationwide that are participating in the re-release.

One of my local theaters is on there! biggrin.gif

- my electro-industrial music project

post #11 of 11 Old 09-26-2012, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Christmas come early. I'm all over this.

I would STRONGLY urge anyone and everyone to see this film...even if horror flix are not normally your cup of tea. Truly, a piece of Americana here.

Thankfully, I have about a dozen local spots to choose from!

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Halloween Iii Season Of The Witch , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page