Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Katy Perry
Directed by: Dan Cutforth & Jane Lipsitz
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 18, 2012

"Be yourself because everyone else is taken"

Film Synopsis:

Katy Perry is living proof that if you just be yourself, you can be anything! Get an inside look into the real Katy Perry and find out how this regular California girl with big dreams became one of the biggest stars in the world. Including never-before-seen content, with full song performances, behind the scenes interviews and personal moments,

My Take:

If you are connected at all to the music world then chances are you have at least heard of Katy Perry. If not here is a little background on her from Wikipedia:

Katheryn Elizabeth "Katy" Hudson (born October 25, 1984), known by her stage name Katy Perry, is an American singer, songwriter, and actress. She first gained recognition with the release of her first mainstream album, One of the Boys in 2008, which spawned three Billboard Hot 100 top-ten songs—"I Kissed A Girl", "Hot n Cold" and "Waking Up In Vegas". Perry supported the album with her Hello Katy Tour. In 2010, Perry released her third studio album, Teenage Dream (2010), which topped the Billboard 200 chart, and spawned five number one singles—"California Gurls", "Teenage Dream", "Firework", "E.T." and "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)". Teenage Dream became the first and so far only album (after Michael Jackson's Bad)—to do so, and Perry became the first female in history to achieve this milestone.

She embarked on the California Dreams Tour, which grossed nearly $60 million worldwide.[2] Perry re-released the album under the name of Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection on March 26, 2012, and the re-release has already spawned the number-one single "Part of Me" and top two single "Wide Awake".

Perry is the only artist to spend over 52 consecutive weeks in the top ten of the Billboard Hot 100, and has since extended this to 69 weeks. As of 2012, Perry has been nominated for eight Grammy Awards, including Album of the Year (Teenage Dream) and Record of the Year ("Firework"). She was named 2011's "Artist of the Year" by MTV. She has sold 37.6 million digital tracks in the United States and 11 million albums worldwide, and sold over 74.6 million digital tracks worldwide. She ventured into film, voicing Smurfette in the 2011 film The Smurfs and being spotlighted in the 3D biopic-concert film Katy Perry: Part of Me. Perry was married to British comedian Russell Brand from 2010 to 2012. In 2012, Perry was ranked at number fourteen on Billboard's list of top moneymakers of 2011, grossing more than $11 million.

Pretty impressive for a 28 year old that has only been on the scene for five years. I first heard of Katy Perry three years ago or so when my teenage son liked her music. It really isn’t my thing although it is certainly listenable (tough not to find “Firework” somewhat catchy). I have seen her perform on music awards shows and SNL and will admit that not only can she sing but has her own style. When I heard she married Russell Brand I couldn’t help but think...mistake.

When I heard about this film, which I thought was about her life story, I paid little attention. It arrived at my doorstep for review and frankly I wasn’t expecting much. As I began watching I discovered that it wasn’t a “biography” but a documentary chronicling her one year California Dreams tour which began in early 2011. Amidst the tour segments, behind the scenes details and interviews with those on her management team etc. are details on her beginnings which include photos, videos, and interviews, with family, and industry professionals that worked with her both along the way and currently. In addition the very personal breakup of her marriage, which occurred during the tour and its emotional impact on her, is shown.

I found this film to be more enjoyable than I would probably care to admit. I appreciated the candid nature of its telling, the depiction of Perry’s work ethic, positive influence on many of her fans and the behind scenes preparation/concert set pieces. This isn’t “Shine a light” but it’s a fairly genuine glimpse at one of today’s most popular music stars during the highest and lowest moments of the biggest tour of her career. It’s a bit of a puff piece (as it probably should be) that is clearly aimed at Katy Perry’s teen/tween fan base but I suspect that there are those above and below that age group that like her music as well.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some suggestive content, language, and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Katy Perry: Part of me comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

Originally shot in 3D this presentation is all that you might expect of a high definition rendering taken from strong source elements. The concert footage looks superb as crisp detail and sharp images give the show excellent dimensionality and depth. The sparkling nature of the costumes, lighting and instruments is reproduced with clearly rendered definition and vibrant colors that leap off of the screen. The intermittent switches back and forth between the concert and backstage/additional footage, is less defining although much of it looked quite excellent as well. Blacks are inky and noise free which provides dark sequences/backgrounds and clothing with excellent contrast to lighter elements within the same shot. White levels are equally strong and the combination empowers colors while augmenting the perception of detail in bright and low lit sequences. Fleshtones are beautifully rendered as the various complexional characteristics of those appearing onscreen are lustrous and lifelike. I didn’t see any deleterious signs of video related noise or artifacts.

The DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio soundtrack delivers an enriching surround sound experience that is highlighted by the concert set pieces. The entire surround platform is used to present the vocal/instrumental performances. The front three channels and subwoofer carry the bulk of the audio with the surrounds providing ambience along with some discretely placed effects to seamlessly bridge the gap between the front and rear sound fields. Perry’s vocals are reproduced with smooth tonality with sibilance or edgy highs. The rhythm section supplies a tight, punchy low end that resonates nicely. Spoken dialogue is well articulated with above average room penetration. The audio is rich in clarity and detail which allows subtle environmental effects to easily be heard. The mix creates a stable and occasionally immersive surround sound experience that compliments the source material.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) “Last Friday Night” (full concert performance)

• (HD) “Wake up in Vegas” (full concert performance

• (HD) Grandma: “Thinking of you”

• (HD) The Grammy’s – You’ll never take away from me

• (HD) California Dreams tour: Behind the scenes:
    1. 5,6,7,…oops…8
    2. BFF
    3. California Dreams tour tattoo
    4. Surprise!
    5. Celebrities
    6. E.T.
  • Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Katy Perry: Part of me is part documentary, bio and puff piece (in that order). It is clearly aimed at a specific audience but as someone that didn’t have a stake in it either way I found it entertaining. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment in a glitzy offering that looks and sounds great. The bonus features aren’t extensive but include some fun behind the scenes moments and full versions of several songs from the tour. Picking this one up on Blu-ray is a great way to earn points with the Katy Perry fan (s) in your life.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Ralphie you're a fiiiiierwork!
post #3 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

Greetings,

biggrin.gif

Now now...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

ROTFL

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #5 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

ROTFL

Greetings,

Don't encourage him Dave..! biggrin.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
LOL

Nice, review, Ralph! Think I may be getting this for my wife and daughter, "earn them points"! wink.gif

Any word on the 3D version being worth the extra $$$, though?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

LOL
Nice, review, Ralph! Think I may be getting this for my wife and daughter, "earn them points"! wink.gif
Any word on the 3D version being worth the extra $$$, though?

Greetings,

This was actually shot in 3D so it might very well look decent in that regard. I haven't seen it though...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #8 of 10 Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
This was actually shot in 3D so it might very well look decent in that regard. I haven't seen it though...
Regards,

Thanks, Ralph!
post #9 of 10 Old 01-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Just adding that I did get this for the ladies at home for Xmas, but actually enjoyed it a whole lot myself! Everybody loves this BD! Though I didn't get it 3D, the sound alone is im-pre-ssive to say the least! cool.gif
post #10 of 10 Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Just adding that I did get this for the ladies at home for Xmas, but actually enjoyed it a whole lot myself! Everybody loves this BD! Though I didn't get it 3D, the sound alone is im-pre-ssive to say the least! cool.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it was a hit..!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Katy Perry The Movie Part Of Me , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List