Feature running time: 115 minutes
Genre: Sci-fi/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymoore, Dee Wallace, Peter Coyote, C. Thomas Howell, Robert MacNaughton
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Melissa Mathison
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 9, 2012

"The story that touched the world!"

Film Synopsis:

When an imaginative boy meets a lost alien, it is the beginning of one of cinema’s most endearing friendships, as Elliot (Henry Thomas) helps the marvelous creature he calls E.T. find his way back home before government agents can capture him.

My Take:

Director Steven Spielberg's heartwarming masterpiece is one of the brightest stars in motion picture history. Filled with unparalleled magic and imagination, E.T. follows the moving story of a lost little alien who befriends 10-year-old, Elliot. In1982, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial became the biggest blockbuster of the year, ranking #1 over 16 different weekends. Even today, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial remains the fourth most successful movie of all-time1 in the United States. Nominated for nine Academy Awards® including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Writing and Best Screenplay, the film took home four statuettes for Best Visual Effects, Best Sound Effects Editing, Best Sound and Best Music for John Williams’ memorable score.

E.T. is indeed a classic film that is beloved by fans the world over. I was 18 when it hit theaters and can recall the fervor that surrounded it. It seemed like everyone was not only talking about E.T. back then but went to the theater multiple times to see it. The effects were state of the art and watching the bond that formed between he and Elliott and how it played out through to the end was not only stirring but captured the imagination of all who saw it. It is so much more than “science fiction”. It’s a heartwarming and inspirational story of friendship, courage and belief with a timeless appeal that has no generational boundaries.

Watching it today it feels very much the same. The special effects have lost some of their luster but the work that brought E.T. himself to life holds up quite nicely while the drama, sense of adventure and imaginative spirit remain tangible. I love the performances by the ensemble cast, especially Henry Thomas who in my opinion is the reason the film works so well. E.T remains one of Steven Spielberg’s definitive achievements. I am thrilled that it has finally come to Blu-ray and happy to report that it has received the tender loving care it is due. Read on to see what I mean.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

E.T. The extra terrestrial comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 31 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.6 Mbps.

Accordingly to Universal E.T. has undergone a digital re-mastering and the results are very impressive. The film’s 1.85:1 framed high definition video presentation on Blu-ray looks terrific on my 100 inch screen. Colors are tonally balanced with lustrous primaries, clean rendering and delineated secondary hues that all look terrific. Fleshtones are appreciably lifelike with discernible texture and natural depiction. The level of visible detail in facial features, hair and clothing during close-ups is noteworthy. Wide angle shots vary in terms of visual depth but most reveal subtle degrees of refinement and fidelity is never in question. Resolution is excellent as the blend of interior shots and sets featured in the film offer clarity, detail and dimension that belie the film’s age. Of course this also made some of the special effects more transparent but that’s fine. Blacks are noise free, stable and fairly deep. Contrast and brightness are balanced well which enlivens bright scenes and colors while maintaining an appreciable level of visibility and dimension during darker segments. Grain is present and appears undisturbed. Universal Studios is to be commended on this excellent and faithful high definition presentation that is sure to please even discerning fans.

The 7.1 DTS-HD MA audio mix does a terrific job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has discernible intonation, with distinctive clarity and above average room penetration. This is a more or less front oriented presentation that makes good use of the entire system to deliver a seamlessly integrated audio experience that is highlighted by solid impact, defining clarity, and John Williams' memorable music score. Dynamic range is quite good and doesn’t seem limited by the dated elements present in the recording. Sounds and effects have copious expression that extend well into the room. Surround activity isn’t constant but when applied can be engaging as discernible spatial ambience and discrete sounds fill the listening area. The LFE channel is similarly used to add weight that extends low bass frequencies. The soundtrack runs the gamut and contains a variety of sounds/effects. Everything from the envelopment of sounds in the forest to directional effects moving around the soundstage, imaging and presence are spot on. I think that this audio presentation is very well done and sounds terrific.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scenes - 3 minutes

• (HD)* NEW Steven Spielberg & E.T. - Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T. – 12 minutes

• * NEW The E.T. Journals – Two part documentary with day to day behind the scenes footage from the set – 52 minutes

• A look back - A special insider’s look into the making of E.T. featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.

• The evolution and creation of E.T. – 50 minute documentary

• The E.T. Reunion – 18 minutes

• The music of E.T.: A discussion with John Williams – 10 minutes

• The 20th anniversary premiere – John Williams conducts the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium (along with a behind the scenes look) – 17 minutes

• Designs, photographs and marketing

• Original Theatrical trailer

• Special Olympics TV Spot

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• pocket BLU

• BD-Live

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial is a timeless and evocative film that holds a special place not just for those who love it but in American Cinema. I have been a fan for 30 years and have awaited its arrival on Blu-ray since the formats inception. I am happy to report that the wait was well worth it as it looks gorgeous in this digitally re-stored high definition video presentation. The re-mixed 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio sound compliments the video and beautifully reproduces John Williams’ memorable music score. The supplemental package is a good one that includes an excellent mix of previously released material along with two new features that are well worth exploring. E.T. is a wonderful film experience and this Blu-ray offering from Universal Studios Home Entertainment makes it all the better and is a must own. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
excellent review as always Ralph but it was John Williams who wrote the rousing score for E.T. not Randy Newman
post #3 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Gary View Post

excellent review as always Ralph but it was John Williams who wrote the rousing score for E.T. not Randy Newman

Greetings,

That was inadvertent Gary. Thanks for catching it..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Sounds like a solid must have for me. And the prices for it are pretty low already a couple of weeks before release. You have instilled confidence in me that this blu-ray will be a good buy with quality video and audio of a family favorite. Thanks!
post #5 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Have to be honest...I never really got into this film and found it nearly scary when I was young (bout 6) ...re-visited years later it just didn't click for me, especially the last 30 minutes after he's (ET) "discovered" by the "man".

Huge Spielberg (and classic movie) fan though so I'm nearly embarrassed to admit the above as I realize its place.

Nice review. You know I'll end up buying it anyway. smile.gif

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #6 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Excellent review Ralph. Sounds like another winner.

Love this film. My DVD is in rough shape so I will am ready to upgrade. My daughter is not quite old enough yet to appreciate ET but she will be (hopefully) very soon. Had the pleasure of seeing John Williams at Symphony Hall in Boston guest conducting the Boston Pops a few years ago. It was movie night (of course!) and he closed with the Flying Theme. I got chills. Yup, I like this one.

post #7 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It is not mentioned. What version is this? The original version or the Special Edition that was released few years ago with CG E.T. and no guns?
post #8 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Along with the above question (I assume it's the original "guns" version with the "terrorist" line), are the deleted scenes the 2002 CGI enhanced bits or something from the original '82 release? Also, is the incredible audition of the actor who plays Elliot included in some part of the extras?
post #9 of 27 Old 09-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 26
I'm likely to give this movie a pass, but I do remember my father taking me to see it when it was first released in theaters. I still remember that day and generally enjoyed the movie and bonding time with my Dad, but oddly I really have no real desire to see this film again. In fact, I think I've only seen it once outside of the theater a few years later. It may be that E.T. did look a little freaky to me as a youngster, who knows. But I do hope that whoever buys it gets enjoyment out of it.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-21-2012, 03:00 AM

Liked: 11
Great review Ralph. Looking forward to the release of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial on Blu-Ray on October 9th, I already have it pre ordered on Amazon.com. Can't wait for it. One of my favorite films of all-time.
post #11 of 27 Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Dav View Post

It is not mentioned. What version is this? The original version or the Special Edition that was released few years ago with CG E.T. and no guns?

I've read elsewhere (blu-ray.com) that this will be the blu-ray version of the original 1982 flick that includes guns (no walkie talkie CG replacements, no CG E.T., etc). It is, for most, the superior version.
post #12 of 27 Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

I've read elsewhere (blu-ray.com) that this will be the blu-ray version of the original 1982 flick that includes guns (no walkie talkie CG replacements, no CG E.T., etc). It is, for most, the superior version.

Greetings,

Sorry for the late reply. Your are correct.. cool.gif

Regards

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #13 of 27 Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Spielberg does a crazy good job on ensuring his movies look nothing short of fantastic on Blu-ray.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Thanks Ralph--looking forward to this one and have it on preorder with Amazon. Hard to believe but I have never seen this movie.

Bob

post #15 of 27 Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickbuol View Post

That's good to know, thanks for that smile.gif

Frank

post #16 of 27 Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Thanks Ralph--looking forward to this one and have it on preorder with Amazon. Hard to believe but I have never seen this movie.

If you're a kid at heart, you'll absolutely love it. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

Just have a box of Kleenex handy. smile.gif
spiritfox likes this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #17 of 27 Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Spielberg does a crazy good job on ensuring his movies look nothing short of fantastic on Blu-ray.

Except for Jurassic Park 1 & 2 and his executive produced Back To The Future Trilogy. Those were less than great and old masters too.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #18 of 27 Old 09-25-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Spielberg does a crazy good job on ensuring his movies look nothing short of fantastic on Blu-ray.[/quote

With the exception of Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 2

Blu-ray : 340
post #19 of 27 Old 09-27-2012, 04:06 AM

I recently learnt from an article narrates that: there are supposed to be 3 parts of Spielberg's adventurous tour for kids and sci-fi.
I really love these two movies! biggrin.gif
Yet, I'm confused, which is the 3rd part? Have I missed anything, as I cannot searched anything about this? frown.gif

Ralph, thanks for the review! And would you mind introducing ‘that part' if possible, I mean if there was any. smile.gif
post #20 of 27 Old 10-03-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Have to be honest...I never really got into this film and found it nearly scary when I was young (bout 6) ...re-visited years later it just didn't click for me, especially the last 30 minutes after he's (ET) "discovered" by the "man".
Huge Spielberg (and classic movie) fan though so I'm nearly embarrassed to admit the above as I realize its place.
Nice review. You know I'll end up buying it anyway. smile.gif
James
I was a teen when Star Wars came out, and a young adult when this film was released. As much as I love sci-fi/fantasy, these popular films didn't move me much. I just saw E.T. Saturday (720p) for the first time in years, and I still don't get it...maybe I was just too old. Don't get me wrong, it's a quality film, but doesn't quite stand up to Jaws or Close Encounters, IMO.

That being said, I'm still getting this BD; it's Spielberg, for crying out loud!

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #21 of 27 Old 10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
For once I'm gunna have to disagree on your take on the soundtrack. I found the the soundtrack to be tame and unengaging at times. My audiophile friend agreed. It had its moments but to me it showed its age. John Williams score was the highlight to me. I did very much enjoy the movie tho as it brought back many find childhood memories.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #22 of 27 Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM

Is this for the 20th anniversary edition or the 30th?
post #23 of 27 Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jba1001 View Post

Is this for the 20th anniversary edition or the 30th?

The movie was released in 1982. Well, the 30th for sure. biggrin.gif
post #24 of 27 Old 02-06-2013, 07:25 AM

I was out looking for a new Blu-ray disc to test out the new television and spotted this at Best Buy (really depressing to see such a depleted stock of movies available; I’m guessing streaming is the reason? I haven’t been keeping up nor am I an avid collector of dvd’s/blurays). I was looking for Hugo that is listed on here as one of the top quality Blu-ray’s, but didn’t see the bundle that I was looking for with the Ultraviolet copy included – probably a dumb reason not to pick it up.

Anyway, I appreciate the review! I imagined it would be a terrific selection for seeing what the new set would do with an actual ‘film’ transfer to Blu-ray with people and not just an animated movie. Looking forward to seeing how the new plasma handles the dark indoor scenes, etc.

I am actually the same age as Elliot, Henry Thomas (one month older than him). So, I guess it hit me from exactly the perspective as the story was told from and my mother likes to tell about how I attempted to discretely wipe my tears on the curtains of the theater when I saw it.
post #25 of 27 Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

I was out looking for a new Blu-ray disc to test out the new television and spotted this at Best Buy (really depressing to see such a depleted stock of movies available; I’m guessing streaming is the reason? I haven’t been keeping up nor am I an avid collector of dvd’s/blurays). I was looking for Hugo that is listed on here as one of the top quality Blu-ray’s, but didn’t see the bundle that I was looking for with the Ultraviolet copy included – probably a dumb reason not to pick it up.

Anyway, I appreciate the review! I imagined it would be a terrific selection for seeing what the new set would do with an actual ‘film’ transfer to Blu-ray with people and not just an animated movie. Looking forward to seeing how the new plasma handles the dark indoor scenes, etc.

I am actually the same age as Elliot, Henry Thomas (one month older than him). So, I guess it hit me from exactly the perspective as the story was told from and my mother likes to tell about how I attempted to discretely wipe my tears on the curtains of the theater when I saw it.

Greetings,

You're very welcome. I hope you enjoy E.T. on your new set and thanks for sharing your story. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #26 of 27 Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM

Not disappointed! I’m sorta into digital video (subscription to HDVideo Pro/Videomaker) and have a prosumer camcorder with a relatively small sensor that produces some pretty anemic low light video. I was kinda looking for a Blu-ray that would show off real people on film/digital in low light for the new plasma. I noticed Hugo rated highly and it was in my HDVideo Pro a while back, but didn’t see the bundle I was looking for as I mentioned.

Anyway, I saw this didn’t rate super high for low light details, but it was still a pretty awesome disc for the new plasma. All the details of the little nostalgic elements of the time period were so clear. Pretty cool!
post #27 of 27 Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Picked this up quiet cheap, its been a long while since I've seen this.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
E T The Extra Terrestrial Anniversary Edition , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page