The Avengers 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adpayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Camp Lake,WI
Posts: 1,511
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

You could have the best system in the world, but if you don't set up the room properly and have the equipment calibrated for optimal performance, you are doomed with poor quality sound right from the start because of the room - and no amount of room correction software can fix the problem.

This is very harsh, and seems elite'ish, as well.

How can you say that all of us with good equipment are getting "poor sound" due to room limitations? Personally, I use Audyssey for correction, and it sounds fantastic! Could it be a bit better? Maybe, but it certainly is not poor sounding. I read a lot of reviews, and Ralph has some of the best equipment that I've seen. The fact he uses front projection is very useful to me as my dedicated room has FP as well.

Maybe you should focus your criticism on reviewers with 32" 720p LCDs, and sound bars? wink.gif
adpayne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

This is very harsh, and seems elite'ish, as well.
How can you say that all of us with good equipment are getting "poor sound" due to room limitations? Personally, I use Audyssey for correction, and it sounds fantastic! Could it be a bit better? Maybe, but it certainly is not poor sounding. I read a lot of reviews, and Ralph has some of the best equipment that I've seen. The fact he uses front projection is very useful to me as my dedicated room has FP as well.
Maybe you should focus your criticism on reviewers with 32" 720p LCDs, and sound bars? wink.gif

I disagree. It is the truth and you missed my point. If you put a set of JMlab Utopias with Krell amplifiers, Transparent audio cables, PS Audio power filtration and all the other high-end sources into a perfectly square 12x12 room without any acoustic treatments, you won't believe how crappy a $500,000 two-channel system can sound. This is not harsh, this is not elitist, it is the cold hard truth. Room dimensions and the interior acoustic properties have a HUGE influence on the final sound product.

I have been to several industry trade shows over the years where an acoustic engineering company that sells panels, diffusers, etc. sets up three rooms - all identical in size, in equipment in furnishings, etc. The only difference is the first room has absolutely no acoustic treatments (like Ralph's), the second room has a standard room treatment package of some sort and the last room is full-on acoustic treatments. I cannot adequately describe to you in this forum how these EXACT same rooms sound completely different from one another, each progressively better. So my point is that you can walk into the untreated room and think it sounds good - until you hear what an unbelievable difference the acoustic treatments make with the same room, same equipment, same set-up. This is why I say that most people don't know what they don't know.

And to be clear - I never made any blanket generalizations about yours or anyone else's equipment, including Ralph's. I was only shocked to see his setup and room with definite issues with speaker location and position and overall lack of room acoustics. It's one thing if it was your system or my system, but once you cross a threshold and put yourself out there giving professional reviews, the bar in my mind is automatically raised. I happened to click on this AVS home page article for the first time ever and read through the review and a handful of comments. I then linked to Ralph's theater website and was very, very surprised by the setup for someone critiquing audio - nothing more.
TMcG is offline  
post #63 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Greetings,

TMcG, point taken. The review thread has been derailed enough by this discussion. Let's move on..


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #64 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
I could spend the next twenty minutes of my time explaining the acoustics in my room and why it is setup the way it is based upon measurements and placement options but I will forego that because it seems rather obvious that you have made up your mind.I think that in your own words "you don't know what you don't know" applies to you as well. Closet Geek very eloquently explained my purpose here. It is the same for many writers. You have no intimate knowledge of the systems/setups of most reviewers so I would assume that your questions would apply to most. In general readers gauge my evaluations based upon their own experience with the same titles. When they tend to find similar experiences a bond of reliance/trust forms and they return when I comment on a title they are interested in.
No one is making any claims other than to offer an opinion. Anyone that isn't interested in that is free to look elsewhere. You're are more than welcome to do that if you feel that there is no serious information here worth gleening.
Regards,

On the contrary, I am always interested in hearing how a fellow AVS-er arrived at their setup, especially someone employing their setup for hardware / software reviews.

You have a nice, balanced, quality system in terms of equipment - I was just surprised to not see the "cherry on top" with room treatments and setups to make the most from your equipment.

EDIT - just saw your other comment....not hijacking the thread, just responding to questions posed to me, fyi. Cheers.
TMcG is offline  
post #65 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Newbie
 
nyc2socal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph! I love reading your reviews because our tastes are so similar!! I never had a chance to watch it in the theater, nor did I realize it was already released!! (me stuck under a rock).. So I ordered it from Amazon this weekend, and just got it today! Can't wait to watch it! Thanks again for all your great reviews!
nyc2socal is offline  
post #66 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member
 
wse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 7,045
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 579 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

700
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Thank you for the review but why did they release this in 16:9 instead of 2:35!!!
wse is offline  
post #67 of 97 Old 10-02-2012, 09:39 PM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Thank you for the review but why did they release this in 16:9 instead of 2:35!!!

Was it released 2:35 at the movies ? I only remember 16:9

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #68 of 97 Old 10-03-2012, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Audio wasn't bad. Definitely good but not great imho.

Agreed. Even without seeing the nasty 30hz filter in the charts, I could tell the extension was not there on this track in relation to other tracks I have heard in my room like Battle LA, Tron, WotW, Cloverfield, TIH, Hannah, etc.......A lot of the LFE was very similar as well and this might also be the by-product of the 30hz filter. My subs and Buttkickers were just not pushed with the Avengers like they are with the better and best LFE tracks out there like the ones mentioned above. I watched Cabin in the Woods right after Avengers yesterday and that LFE track had noticeably better extension, output and variety. TIH is a natural comparison as well considering the Hulk is in this movie and there is no contest there.....TIH kills this track in every aspect as far as LFE is concerned (and otherwise). Having said that, I still enjoyed this track a lot from a LFE perspective and otherwise. This movie is loaded with bass and it hits pretty hard as well. Would love to hear it without the filter!

The rest of the track was very good as well, but not quite reference IMO. Reference surround work are tracks like Avatar, TIH, Hellboy 2, Transformers Dark of the Moon, etc......Avengers was a notch below these type tracks, but again still very good if not quite reference IMO.

I thought the 2d video was reference however and I was very impressed from that perspective! This was the first movie I watched with a Darbee in the chain though, so that might have something to do with it.

Next watch I will check out the 3d. Hope my RS45 does not ghost to badly with it.

I bought this Saturday 9/29 and we watched it in our basement HT, loved the movie, loved the 7.1 sound.
My 4 kids loved "Puny God", that is their quote of the week.

Qualifier: I did NOT read any review here or the "complaint" comments in the master bass thread in the sub section till today, so my experiences were NOT biased by any pre-reading.

I did feel while bass was there, something was missing on the LFE that while not running the "experience" actually caused me to look at my EP2500 to see if it dialed it down....
(I have a 15 year old Spanish foreign exchange student living with us thru June-2013, so after his homework he sometimes plays games on the PS3 , and I showed him how to dial the amp down so the IB sub won't be a nuisance at 10pm)

Part of me hopes the producers of the blu-ray realize they "missed a LFE switch" on their mastering, fess up to it, and re-released the disc and give early buyers some exchange program.
The movie is overall that good and deserves the appropriate LFE to go with it.
Yes, my room has been tuned/tweaked also, and I've had lots of people over for demos/etc.
HT build and IB build links in my sig, image below
mtbdudex is online now  
post #69 of 97 Old 10-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sacramento, Karlifornia
Posts: 668
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Thanks Ralph.

Got it coming in 3D. biggrin.gif

Nice Stuff!
ayrton is offline  
post #70 of 97 Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM
Newbie
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I absolutely loved this movie in the theaters and was pumped when it came out on blu ray. However, I bought the 2D blu ray version... it played fine until it froze at scene 13. No scratches on the disc, but I brought it back to exchange for a new one anyway. The new one froze at the exact same spot in the movie. Anyone heard if there are any bad batches of the 2D blu ray version released?
wingnutks is offline  
post #71 of 97 Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM
CIH USER
 
Franin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 17,593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post

I absolutely loved this movie in the theaters and was pumped when it came out on blu ray. However, I bought the 2D blu ray version... it played fine until it froze at scene 13. No scratches on the disc, but I brought it back to exchange for a new one anyway. The new one froze at the exact same spot in the movie. Anyone heard if there are any bad batches of the 2D blu ray version released?

what player were you using ?

_________________________

Frank
Franin is online now  
post #72 of 97 Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quite frankly I agree with ClosetGeek, we are indeed "irregular" Joe's who go into these threads willing to have a good fun time watching -- and, of course, listening to -- a movie at home (and, why not? reading reviews), oftentimes without insanely expensive equipment and/or room acoustic treatments.

Ralph, pay little attention to TMcG (or others of the like), as all of us who indeed look forward to your "opinion" remain grateful, if not faithful, to your time and dedication. It's been very little time I've actively participated in these forums, but you can count me in as another reader interested in your say.

TMcG, regardless of how much expertise you may have -- "we don't know what we don't know" -- how would YOU claim the audio in Avengers Blu-ray is when compared against, say, Transformers 3? Scratch that, why don't you go ahead and give a more "professional" choice of audio track against which to make a comparison -- regardless of the environs in which you enjoy (or rather, test) your movies? Please, we are owed at least that much, wouldn't you agree?

On a side note, one could argue that, in those famous three rooms you, TMcG, mentioned where they gradually showed you the difference upon upgrading acoustic treatments, the electronics were also tweaked (and made to look like all things were considered equal -- one simply does not know what one does not know!) to give a more perceptible result by "regular" people (not saying that YOU are regular, as you have made it quite clear you are not, just saying) in an attempt to sell a product, God forbid anyone would ever do something like that in the home theater market! Thanks for the food for thought you started, though!

Cheers!
Taranteacher is offline  
post #73 of 97 Old 10-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Newbie
 
jllaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I saw the Avengers in the theatre, I had to see it again, along with Battleship for the second time. I immediately put the Blue Ray on a wait list purchase as soon as I could. I haven't viewed it, yet, but LFE won't be a problem for me for the below reason. Also, I'm not a fan of too much bass anyway.

I live in a townhouse Condo. I built a sound room/office for my viewing and listening pleasure in my basement (25'X13'). Even with 4 inches of insulation in the ceiling and side walls of the room, I wouldn't dare try to crank up the bass. Even so, the new Blue Ray's sometimes send my Pioneer Elite receiver into protection mode (time for a new Pioneer Elite, maybe with Ice Power). I only use the Pioneer amp to drive my Center Channels and Back Surrounds. I drive my Maggie 3.6R fronts with a pair of Wyred4Sound 1000 Watt Mono Bloc's.

My wife liked everything I liked until we got married (before, football, basketball, tennis, etc. after cooking channel, oprah, etc.). So I can sympathize with the guys, whose wives may not want to see some of the movies they like. Though if she wants me to go to a movie with her she knows, it's either a comedy or a movie with a high kill per minute ratio. I still wouldn't trade her in (33 years together).
jllaudio is offline  
post #74 of 97 Old 10-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Newbie
 
wingnutks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

what player were you using ?

Samsung HT-5500 home theater in a box. It has the most current firmware loaded.
wingnutks is offline  
post #75 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,331
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

It really depends upon the frequency response of your sub. I was at a friend's home last night and he pop in the movie, but due to his weak sub, I felt I was missing more than 50% of the low frequency material.frown.gif

Actually, it is just the opposite with this movie. The better your sub and the deeper it digs, the more likely you are to notice what is lacking with this LFE track in relation to tracks like TIH. Subs that are only strong down to ~25-30hz will eat this one up since there is nothing below that anyway due to the filter. People with subs that have strong output down to 15hz or lower are more likely to notice something is missing. The other issue is so much of the LFE sounds the exact same with little variety which will be easier to tell the better your sub I would think.

Still a fun LFE track, but not nearly as good as it could and should have been IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #76 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Quite frankly I agree with ClosetGeek, we are indeed "irregular" Joe's who go into these threads willing to have a good fun time watching -- and, of course, listening to -- a movie at home (and, why not? reading reviews), oftentimes without insanely expensive equipment and/or room acoustic treatments.
Ralph, pay little attention to TMcG (or others of the like), as all of us who indeed look forward to your "opinion" remain grateful, if not faithful, to your time and dedication. It's been very little time I've actively participated in these forums, but you can count me in as another reader interested in your say.
TMcG, regardless of how much expertise you may have -- "we don't know what we don't know" -- how would YOU claim the audio in Avengers Blu-ray is when compared against, say, Transformers 3? Scratch that, why don't you go ahead and give a more "professional" choice of audio track against which to make a comparison -- regardless of the environs in which you enjoy (or rather, test) your movies? Please, we are owed at least that much, wouldn't you agree?
On a side note, one could argue that, in those famous three rooms you, TMcG, mentioned where they gradually showed you the difference upon upgrading acoustic treatments, the electronics were also tweaked (and made to look like all things were considered equal -- one simply does not know what one does not know!) to give a more perceptible result by "regular" people (not saying that YOU are regular, as you have made it quite clear you are not, just saying) in an attempt to sell a product, God forbid anyone would ever do something like that in the home theater market! Thanks for the food for thought you started, though!
Cheers!

Look, would a video projector be reviewed in a room filled with sunlight? No. So too would audio not be reviewed in a completely untreated room. The video is relatively easy to review - just have a completely darkened room with a fully-calibrated projector and look for artifacts in the transfer, color accuracy, etc. The audio is much more difficult, compounded by a room not calibrated for the audio. Room correction software may have been run and tweaked manually to the listener's taste, but that only gets a person so far until the room itself is treated as an equal instrument that can (does) affect the sound tremendously.

This is a hobby of enjoyment by all of us, regardless of system cost. I am a regular Joe just like most of the folks here on this forum. I have been in this hobby for close to 27 years since the first CD players came out and got me hooked as a young teenager. As my income grew through the years I went through a constant state of upgraditis as most of us do. I don't turn over equipment quite as often anymore, but still look to get every last bit of performance I paid for. Considering that the room is a HUGE factor in the final sound, I actually delved into an active DSP from QSC and hired an outside professional calibrator to work their magic. I thought my system sounded very good before - but I didn't know what I didn't know until I had the room acoustically analyzed and treated, topped off with professional calibration. What an incredible difference it made for about a $2750 total outlay ($1250 for calibration and about $1500 for all the acoustic treatments, fyi). It was well worth the money if you have the system to support it, which clearly Ralph does. However, my only comment was that no investment had been made in acoustic treatments for the room which is surprising considering the investment in the equipment.

Thanks to Ralph for his time writing the reviews in his spare time.
TMcG is offline  
post #77 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SbWillie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: War Eagle,Oklahoma
Posts: 3,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
CANNOT believe how washed out the blacks were in the 2D version! Reminded me of some the the CG action shots in many 90s action flicks. Very distracting but I still LOVE THIS movie!cool.gif
SbWillie is offline  
post #78 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Look, would a video projector be reviewed in a room filled with sunlight? No. So too would audio not be reviewed in a completely untreated room. The video is relatively easy to review - just have a completely darkened room with a fully-calibrated projector and look for artifacts in the transfer, color accuracy, etc. The audio is much more difficult, compounded by a room not calibrated for the audio. Room correction software may have been run and tweaked manually to the listener's taste, but that only gets a person so far until the room itself is treated as an equal instrument that can (does) affect the sound tremendously.
This is a hobby of enjoyment by all of us, regardless of system cost. I am a regular Joe just like most of the folks here on this forum. I have been in this hobby for close to 27 years since the first CD players came out and got me hooked as a young teenager. As my income grew through the years I went through a constant state of upgraditis as most of us do. I don't turn over equipment quite as often anymore, but still look to get every last bit of performance I paid for. Considering that the room is a HUGE factor in the final sound, I actually delved into an active DSP from QSC and hired an outside professional calibrator to work their magic. I thought my system sounded very good before - but I didn't know what I didn't know until I had the room acoustically analyzed and treated, topped off with professional calibration. What an incredible difference it made for about a $2750 total outlay ($1250 for calibration and about $1500 for all the acoustic treatments, fyi). It was well worth the money if you have the system to support it, which clearly Ralph does. However, my only comment was that no investment had been made in acoustic treatments for the room which is surprising considering the investment in the equipment.
Thanks to Ralph for his time writing the reviews in his spare time.

Thanks for sharing, TMcG. I have to admit I hadn't considered acoustic treatments until I took a peek into forums such as this. I used to think it all ended up being about how good your gear was --silly me! On the other hand, I am happy, for now, with a budget 7.1 system and a relatively small Passive-3D TV, so it's fair to say I am in no position to even consider upgrading to (like I said before) insanely expensive equipment and/or room acoustics. 2750 dollars minus electronics etc?! Congrats for being able to spend as much, really! I am now your fan! wink.gif I suspect watching a movie with your setup is at least just like being at an IMAX theater (of which, I am a fan as well)! cool.gif

Still, you haven't answered the question I asked regarding comparing the sound on this movie against any other. Sarcastic as I may have sounded, I was honestly curious about your opinion (which obviously was, and is, better than mine). smile.gif Maybe it's because you haven't had time to check it out four yourself, but once you do, I'd like to hear it from you. Thanks again! And, yes, thanks Ralph!
Taranteacher is offline  
post #79 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TMcG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,800
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Thanks for sharing, TMcG. I have to admit I hadn't considered acoustic treatments until I took a peek into forums such as this. I used to think it all ended up being about how good your gear was --silly me! On the other hand, I am happy, for now, with a budget 7.1 system and a relatively small Passive-3D TV, so it's fair to say I am in no position to even consider upgrading to (like I said before) insanely expensive equipment and/or room acoustics. 2750 dollars minus electronics etc?! Congrats for being able to spend as much, really! I am now your fan! wink.gif I suspect watching a movie with your setup is at least just like being at an IMAX theater (of which, I am a fan as well)! cool.gif
Still, you haven't answered the question I asked regarding comparing the sound on this movie against any other. Sarcastic as I may have sounded, I was honestly curious about your opinion (which obviously was, and is, better than mine). smile.gif Maybe it's because you haven't had time to check it out four yourself, but once you do, I'd like to hear it from you. Thanks again! And, yes, thanks Ralph!

The system I spoke of was at my last house, just prior to taking a position with a European company. Until recently, I have not had the opportunity to rebuild the system that I sold. I have a dedicated space now in my basement for which I am planning on building a full-on dedicated front projection theater system. The thread is not active at the moment (as you can see in my signature), but will be soon. From the beginning I have budgeted for professional design assistance with the acoustic treatments in a room I designed with an Art Deco old-time movie palace style. I had sketched the whole theater in scale but it is now being converted to AutoCAD and professionally analyzed for the internal acoustic environment before framing even starts.

Most of my new system is still in the factory packaging at the moment and the rest is yet to purchase, so I cannot give a review of how this movie's picture or soundtrack compares to anything else at the moment. However, I will share with you this one little tidbit - I always try to get natural sounds right and let the rest of the sounds follow suit. What do I mean by this? If I can get the human voice, instruments and other sounds to sound great, then the spaceships, dying aliens, exploding planets, Hulk grunts and time machine sounds will sound like the acoustic designer intended since they master the soundtrack with highly-accurate and highly-calibrated studio monitor systems in acoustically treated sound studios. You can never calibrate to an Alien biting some guys head off and eating it because it doesn't exist. But if you can calibrate so music and voices right, everything else falls right into place. Just my two cents.

And by the way, $2750 may sound like a lot, but after over 25 years of building up my system, it is less than most people spend a year on smoking, eating out, clothing, vacations, etc. - none of which are present or high on my personal purchase list. And having not spent ANYTHING in nearly 6 years during my time in Europe, I am itching to get the theater set up right since we plan to be in our current home for some time. I don't know where you are at, but I could probably arrange a demo after it is done if you find yourself in the Charlotte, NC area - maybe even to watch the Avengers!!
TMcG is offline  
post #80 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 310
My 10 yr old daughter loved this movie so much, she had to then see Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America and watch them for background, as she never saw them.

She's never been into Superhero movies.....now she is because of Avengers.
mtbdudex is online now  
post #81 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,517
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

My 10 yr old daughter loved this movie so much, she had to then see Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America and watch them for background, as she never saw them.
She's never been into Superhero movies.....now she is because of Avengers.

Greetings,

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing..! smile.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #82 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Closet Geek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

My 10 yr old daughter loved this movie so much, she had to then see Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America and watch them for background, as she never saw them.
She's never been into Superhero movies.....now she is because of Avengers.

Welcome to the club. smile.gif
Closet Geek is offline  
post #83 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fight4yu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,729
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Saw this in 3D last night. I am totally not a 3D fan, and so far I only like Avatar in 3D.. This one, although not as clean as Avatar, is really clean and sharp.
Very much enjoyed it. I have seen this in the theater, on a plane, and now with my home PJ. Enjoyed it every time!
fight4yu is offline  
post #84 of 97 Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
I could spend the next twenty minutes of my time explaining the acoustics in my room and why it is setup the way it is based upon measurements and placement options but I will forego that because it seems rather obvious that you have made up your mind.I think that in your own words "you don't know what you don't know" applies to you as well. Closet Geek very eloquently explained my purpose here. It is the same for many writers. You have no intimate knowledge of the systems/setups of most reviewers so I would assume that your questions would apply to most. In general readers gauge my evaluations based upon their own experience with the same titles. When they tend to find similar experiences a bond of reliance/trust forms and they return when I comment on a title they are interested in.
No one is making any claims other than to offer an opinion. Anyone that isn't interested in that is free to look elsewhere. You're are more than welcome to do that if you feel that there is no serious information here worth gleening.
Regards,

I'm with Ralph 100% on this. I've set up my room the best I possibly could given that's its a living space as well. I'd love to have a dedicated room, but with the cost of real estate in California, that isn't going to happen anytime soon. I do have acoustical treatments in my room and they have certainly helped the sound a lot, but my room is far from perfect. All that being said, I do know the limitations of my room and try and correlate that with any reviews that I write and I'm 100% positive that Ralph does the exact same thing.
Djoel likes this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #85 of 97 Old 10-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

The system I spoke of was at my last house, just prior to taking a position with a European company. Until recently, I have not had the opportunity to rebuild the system that I sold. I have a dedicated space now in my basement for which I am planning on building a full-on dedicated front projection theater system. The thread is not active at the moment (as you can see in my signature), but will be soon. From the beginning I have budgeted for professional design assistance with the acoustic treatments in a room I designed with an Art Deco old-time movie palace style. I had sketched the whole theater in scale but it is now being converted to AutoCAD and professionally analyzed for the internal acoustic environment before framing even starts.
Most of my new system is still in the factory packaging at the moment and the rest is yet to purchase, so I cannot give a review of how this movie's picture or soundtrack compares to anything else at the moment. However, I will share with you this one little tidbit - I always try to get natural sounds right and let the rest of the sounds follow suit. What do I mean by this? If I can get the human voice, instruments and other sounds to sound great, then the spaceships, dying aliens, exploding planets, Hulk grunts and time machine sounds will sound like the acoustic designer intended since they master the soundtrack with highly-accurate and highly-calibrated studio monitor systems in acoustically treated sound studios. You can never calibrate to an Alien biting some guys head off and eating it because it doesn't exist. But if you can calibrate so music and voices right, everything else falls right into place. Just my two cents.
And by the way, $2750 may sound like a lot, but after over 25 years of building up my system, it is less than most people spend a year on smoking, eating out, clothing, vacations, etc. - none of which are present or high on my personal purchase list. And having not spent ANYTHING in nearly 6 years during my time in Europe, I am itching to get the theater set up right since we plan to be in our current home for some time. I don't know where you are at, but I could probably arrange a demo after it is done if you find yourself in the Charlotte, NC area - maybe even to watch the Avengers!!

Thanks for the invite...man, you do take things seriously! Unfortunately, I live in Mexico, but given the chance, I would definitely like to see that once it's all finished (AutoCAD conversions, pro acoustic analyisis...whew!). Also, thanks for the input on getting natural sounds right first, makes sense to me! Finally, I can relate to your explanation on having saved on many other things in order to splurge on your -- and our -- hobby (you sound just like me with my wife tongue.gif). Best wishes!
Taranteacher is offline  
post #86 of 97 Old 10-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
jonathanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: santa paula, ca
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, saw this movie over the weekend. Watched it with my 10 year old daughter. Fun and entertaining. I usually watch it 6 to 8 db below Reference when possible, especially with the kids ears. I'd rate the sound with "in the 90's" claiber rating as well. Def need something more in the LFE extension and sonicly in your face punch to qualify as reference audio.

jr.
jonathanR is offline  
post #87 of 97 Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Lethean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ignore the haters - Love your reviews and this was another great one. Can't wait to get this blu ray!

I found the 3D was very subtle with this film. I almost prefer the gimmicky approach to the art like A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas. Although Transformers Dark of The Moon had subtle 3D (to me) and I felt it elevated the films detail and made it that much more enjoyable (visually...The movie still sucked.)

Lethean is offline  
post #88 of 97 Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,706
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 468
So the wife and I just watched the Avengers 3d. Bought the 3d version because of the review and wasn't disappointed. Great movie, looked and sounded fantastic, but like y'all said it was definitely lacking in good deep bass. I sit next to my Hsu vtf3.3 and it didn't get the workout I was hoping for. One thing i noticed was strange. In the darker scenes in mostly in the first half hour or so we noticed the brightness was "pumping". Using a ps3 and samsung pn58c7000. Anyone else see this at all?
From what I hear I'm gonna have to try Prometheus tomorrow and see how it is. We haven't seen it yet. Sounds like I'm gonna have to check out Cabin in the Woods too.
ambesolman is online now  
post #89 of 97 Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 4,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 109
We had a bunch of kids over tonight and they watched the 2D version and the bass was pretty good in my room. Not foundation shaking, but really solid around the 30 Htz area.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #90 of 97 Old 10-13-2012, 07:15 AM
Member
 
caseycjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not sure where else to post this so I'll ask this question here. How much do you all think that streaming this in HDX BR is degraded vs. BR Disc? Thanks.
caseycjc is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Marvels The Avengers Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo In Blu Ray Packaging , Blu Ray Movies

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off