Studio and Year: Disney - 1950
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 75 minutes
Genre: Animation/Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English Mono, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Directed by: Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, Clyde Geranimi
Music by: Al Hoffman, Jerry Livingston, Mack David
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 2, 2012

"A dream is a wish your heart makes"

Film Synopsis:

Disney's Cinderella is transformed to a new level of brilliance on Blu-ray. Rediscover the timeless story, the memorable music, and unforgettable characters - now more enchanting than ever with pristine digital picture and dazzling high-definition sound! Cinderella has faith her dreams of a better life will come true. With help from her loyal mice friends and a wave of her Fairy Godmother's wand, Cinderella's rags are magically turned into a glorious gown and off she goes to the Royal Ball. But when the clock strikes midnight, the spell is broken, leaving only a single glass slipper... the only key to the ultimate fairy-tail ending!

My Take:

Everyone orders Cinderella around: her cruel stepmother, her awful stepsisters—even the big clock in the church tower tells her when to start another day of drudgery. But they can't stop her from dreaming, and Cinderella has faith that someday her wishes will come true. When an invitation to the royal ball arrives, Cinderella is sure her time has come—until her stepsisters, with the encouragement of Lady Tremaine, tear her gown to shreds. Just when Cinderella believes all is lost, her Fairy Godmother appears, and with a wave of her wand and “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo,” transforms an ordinary pumpkin into a magnificent coach and Cinderella’s rags into a gorgeous gown, then sends her off to the royal ball. But Cinderella’s enchanted evening must end when the spell is broken at midnight. It will take the help of her daring mice friends and a perfect fit into a glass slipper to create the ultimate fairy tale ending.

Cinderella is a timeless and classic fairytale that is among the early stories that I recall reading (or being read) from my childhood. Back then there was no home video (late sixties) and the only way to see films was to go to the theater. Disney’s Cinderella was also one of my first movie going experiences and I remember it well. Its positive message of hope and belief in dreams as well as the fairytale romance shaped our perspectives and desire for the “feel good” ending. It’s sad, funny and uplifting story is complimented by memorable music and endearing characters.

Cinderella like many of Disney’s classic animated features has easily stood the test of time and continues to touch generations of viewers. Disney is a class act with an impeccable track record for wonderful family oriented films. This Diamond Edition home video release of is another example of their fervent commitment to the Blu-ray format as their high definition presentations have consistently yielded technically impressive results along with fan friendly supplemental material. Their willingness to digitally restore their films while carefully preserving the original source elements allows fans and newcomers alike to experience them looking and sounding better than ever. I am thrilled that this animated classic has finally arrived in high definition. I can assure you that the wait was well worth it.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Cinderella comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This film has undergone a restorative process and the results are impressive. Colors shine brilliantly with pleasing saturation and striking blues that look absolutely beautiful. The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally enhanced animated films which is to be expected but this presentation isn’t far behind. On several occasions I found myself marveling at just how good this 60 plus year old animated feature looked. Fidelity is intact and images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich, color fidelity and stable contrast that enhances dimension. I can fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into design of each of the animated characters. Contrast and brightness is stable and strikes a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and delineated chromatic elements within the video. Blacks have excellent depth and dynamic range while falling just shy of the ink like levels of the best discs available in high definition. Whites sparkle and appear crisp, bright and punchy. As fans I don’t think that we could ask for this film to look any better than this.

Disney provides a new DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix and DTS-HD 1.0 Master Audio restoration of the original recording which retains much of the feel of the original while adding a bit of polish. You can’t go wrong either way as they both sound quite good. I utilized the surround mix which is a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, and music that maintains a frontal perspective with wonderfully integrated rear channel atmospherics that seem to naturally broaden the soundstage. The film’s score/music sounds simply marvelous as the musical numbers take center stage and create an enriching surround experience. This isn’t a dynamically enhanced mix but it appropriately supports of the soundtrack’s elements. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and never shows its age which says something for the care that went into the encoding. Chalk up another winner for Disney.

Bonus Features:

• (HD)Disc Introduction by Diane Disney Miller

• Disney View : Enhanced viewing mode – replaces black pillarboxes with custom paintings by Mary Blair

• Bibbidi-Bobbidi-You Interactive storybook: Disney Second Screen experience

• Personalized Digital Storybook: Bibbidi-Bobbidi-You

• (HD) Backstage Disney:
    1. The real fairy godmother – 11 minute featurette
    2. Behind the magic: A new Disney Princess Fanstasyland – 8 minute documentary
    3. The magic of the glass slipper: A Cinderella story – 10 minutes
    4. Alternate opening sequence (storyboard sketches)
  • (HD) Tangled ever after – 6 minute animated short

• Classic DVD features:

1. Deleted scenes
    2. Cinderella title song
    3. Unused songs
    4. Radio programs
    5. Making of featurette
    6. The Cinderella that almost was
    7. The art of Mary Blair
    8. Storyboard to film comparison – opening sequence
    9. 1922 Laugh-O-Grams
    10. Theatrical trailers
    11. And more..
  • Bonus DVD of Cinderella

Final Thoughts:

Cinderella is among the beloved of the Disney Classic animated feature films. Seeing it again after so many years brought back fond childhood memories. Kudos to Disney on a spectacular Blu-ray Disc offering that presents this wonderful family film looking and sounding better than ever. Its complimentary set of bonus materials includes exclusive Blu-ray and interactive features that present fans with a great way to enhance the high definition experience while taking a peek behind the curtain to learn some interesting background on the film. This excellent Blu-ray release will make for a welcomed addition to your Disney Collection and comes highly recommended

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I grew up with Disney classics and this one is up there with one of there bests. My wife goes crazy for these Disney classics, hell she even has "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" tattooed on her shoulder and we honeymooned in Disneyland. We collect all these classics and I'm real excited to see the restoration and hear the new DTS HD audio mix on Cinderella. Thanks Ralph

JBL Pro Cinema
post #3 of 10 Old 09-29-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I grew up with Disney classics and this one is up there with one of there bests. My wife goes crazy for these Disney classics, hell she even has "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" tattooed on her shoulder and we honeymooned in Disneyland. We collect all these classics and I'm real excited to see the restoration and hear the new DTS HD audio mix on Cinderella.
- I also think that Cinderella is one of their best. I picked up the MetalBox case preorder from BestBuy and can't wait for it to come out.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hopefully the BD will have all of the bonus materials of the previous DVD Special Editions and The Laserdisc CAV Edition before it. I also hope that Disney will have all of the still artwork galleries on disc and not use the 2nd Screen app.- I thouroughly hate that idea!!

Guess I'll find out in a few days!
post #5 of 10 Old 09-30-2012, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ralph,

As always I enjoy your reviews, even if I don't agree sometimes;)

One very small bit of info you might change is that it has been 60 plus years, instead of 50 plus years, since the film was released, to be more accurate.

Okay got that off my chest...... keep up the good work.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #6 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Ralph,
As always I enjoy your reviews, even if I don't agree sometimes;)
One very small bit of info you might change is that it has been 60 plus years, instead of 50 plus years, since the film was released, to be more accurate.
Okay got that off my chest...... keep up the good work.

Greetings,

Thanks for catching that Blasst. Correction made... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #7 of 10 Old 10-01-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I just never thought this was one of Disney's better films. Although the BD version must look astounding, I'll stick with my earlier DVD.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Of course I got the version with the jewelry box: http://amzn.com/B007WWRJ3A. Probably overkill but the jewelry box is well constructed.

My wife and I watched with my 2.5 year old daughter last night. We all loved it and my daughter actually watched the entire film in one sitting. It was a perfect night.

post #9 of 10 Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Ralph day 1 purchase for myself.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-11-2012, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
this seems to be a transfer with lost detail and borked colors as the one compared to VHS here http://members.chello.nl/h.h.j.f.beens/temp/Cinderella_VHSvsBD.jpg (from http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27914&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=600&sid=32d88bc84da1e257fc0f3d0ac4dad298)
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Cinderella Three Disc Diamond Edition Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page