Moonrise Kingdom (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
700
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109941&d=1210373637

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )
85





Studio and Year: Universal - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24


Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman, Bob Balaban, Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward
Directed by: Wes Anderson
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 16, 2012







"Look into my eyes, do you love each other?"


Film Synopsis:

Set on an island off the coast of New England in the summer of 1965, Moonrise Kingdom follows two 12-year-olds who fall in love, make a secret pact and run away together into the wilderness. As various authorities try to hunt them down, a violent storm is brewing off-shore – and the peaceful island community is turned upside down in every which way.


My Take:

Wes Anderson films can be an acquired taste. For me they have been sort of hit and miss, but probably more hit than miss. I didn’t care for “The life aquatic with Steve Zissou” or “The Darjeeling Limited” but like “The fantastic Mr. Fox” and “The Royal Tenenbaums” and “Rushmore”. Like him or not there is no denying that he is a visionary storyteller with a flair for un-convention. Other than seeing the trailer for Moonrise Kingdom I heard nothing nor thought about it until it arrived at my doorstep a few days ago.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Typical of Anderson’s visual and narrative style the story is simple yet complex in tone with genuine feeling characters that perfectly support its whimsical elements. Suzy and Sam are troubled 12 year olds drawn to one another by commonality. Both have a penchant for candor that is underscored by their eccentricities and unfailing sense of purpose. Each character is played to perfection by newcomers Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman. The opening is great and provides a quick but solid foundation upon which the rest of the film rests. While the primary focus is on Suzy and Sam there are little diversions, one involving an elicit affair, another about familial strife, empathy and bullying, that tie in quite nicely. The film is set in 1965 and has a warmly nostalgic essence that mates perfectly with the storyline.

As I watched I found myself sometimes chuckling aloud, raising my eyebrows or simultaneously doing both. There is an involving quirkiness that enriches the proceedings as everyone comes unhinged at the prospect of the two twelve year olds, living on an island, striking out on their own. Of course in stark contrast the two of them are emotionally grounded and seem totally prepared for whatever comes their way. What does set them off is the prospect of being separated and their budding/youthful romance has a heartwarming innocent that makes you root for them despite the obvious obstacles. The cast, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances McDormand, Bob Balaban and the group of boys that play the scouts are terrific.

Moonrise Kingdom clearly isn’t a literal film. It’s artful (without being pretentious), adventurous and charming with a purposefully elevated level of deadpan humor that while in your face never seems overplayed. At ninety four minutes its pacing is right on the money. As soon as it was over I felt like I wanted to start it back from the beginning and watch it again. I guess that is probably endorsement enough…




Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content and smoking.



AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**


Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)


  • Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

  • Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

  • Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

  • Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

  • Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692



Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)


  • Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

  • Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

  • Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

  • Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

  • Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692


Moonrise Kingdom comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is a pleasing and faithful high definition presentation that is adorned by a permeating sepia toned aesthetic that combines with its use of autumn colors, mainly browns, beiges, and reds, to set the thematic tone intended by Wes Anderson and cinematographer Robert Yeoman. Shot on 16mm film stock it rarely makes for eye catching imagery but if you’re accustomed to Wes Anderson’s style the results are satisfying. Fleshtones tend to look a little pasty but otherwise fall in line with the film’s visual elements. Contrast is spot on and blacks are fairly delineated and deep. Images are resolute with a pervasively grainy aesthetic that adds texture without compromise. The video is whistle clean and shows no obvious signs of compression errors or video related anomalies.

The front heavy lossless surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however there are a few instances that provide a discernable level of spatial envelopment accompanied be punchy low frequency enhancement.

Bonus Features:

  • (HD) A look inside Moonrise Kingdom – 3 minute featurette

  • (HD) Welcome to the Island of New Penzance – Four short segments featuring Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, and Wes Anderson

  • (HD) Set tour with Bill Murray – 3 minutes

  • My Scenes bookmark feature

  • Bonus DVD of Moonrise Kingdom

  • Digital Copy

  • Ultraviolet Digital Copy




Final Thoughts:

Director/co-writer Wes Anderson paints an unconventional and rewardingly quirky portrait of young love in this charming, funny and whimsical comedy/romance. Newcomers Kara Hayward and Jared Gilman are terrific as the devoted young lovers and are favorably supported by an excellent cast headed by Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Bill Murray and Frances McDormand. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring satisfying and faithful high definition video, crystal clear DTS-HD Master Audio sound and a sparse supplemental offering that provides only a glimpse behind the scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom and highly recommend that you check it out on Blu-ray.





attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731






Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews





Reference Review System:


JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

I've had this on pre-order for a while now and very much looking forward to it. Will report back after receiving and viewing it...

oz
ozar is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
bokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
looking forward to this as well.
sure wish it was a criterion release.
bokes is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 4,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
This is the first Wes Anderson film that I actually liked. It's very touching and quite funny! Great review Ralph.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

This is the first Wes Anderson film that I actually liked. It's very touching and quite funny! Great review Ralph.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Dave. Thanks.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Member
 
Ivan Walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Look into my eyes, do you love each other? tongue.gif
Ivan Walker is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
ozar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I finally got around to watching this one and enjoyed it, even though I've not cared a lot for some of Wes Anderson's films. I'm looking forward to seeing this again with the wife to see what she thinks of it.

oz
ozar is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I finally got around to watching this one and enjoyed it, even though I've not cared a lot for some of Wes Anderson's films. I'm looking forward to seeing this again with the wife to see what she thinks of it.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it oz. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I always enjoy Anderson's films, but this one is a little something special. Review is spot on for me.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
fjames is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Member
 
Fastfwd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 115
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great review! I went to the showing after the local ‘premiere’ of Rushmoore in Austin, TX back in the day – Jason Shcwartzman (I’m pretty sure, but don’t know why) came out and was walking the line outside talking to people. I have no idea why they had a local ‘premiere’ in Austin – maybe part of it was shot there? Dunno. He seemed really nice.

I enjoy the quirky sort of storytelling – although I’m sure it might be a novelty that could wear thin for some easily. I actually picked this last night specifically now that I’m finally paying attention to what the movies are shot with and noticing the 16mm film format used. I’ve been watching the rise of digital enthusiastically, but my new plasma is opening my eyes to what everyone has been talking about are the qualities of film (or at least I think I’m seeing it lol – no, I really do see some movies shot on film accentuating that warmth and richness claimed)

Anyway, from that perspective – I was watching for any nuance of 16mm and my final impression was that it was perhaps given a lot of post treatment to produce the warm white balance tone in a lot of scenes, etc. and otherwise that possibly muted the color richness and/or maybe 16mm is known to just not produce the same richness of color that 35mm produces? It definitely seemed to give it an aesthetic of 60s and there seemed like an abundance of attention to color palette of various scenes that made it visually pleasing to watch for me anyway.

It was pretty entertaining; I was immediately drawn into why what appeared to be a really cute girl was so enamored by this boy that seemed to be a little more on the nerdy side (hey, I work a computer helpdesk job all day – I’m not knocking ‘nerdy’ but I’m calling it for how I see it).

The story of the bond over their commonality of being outcasts was endearing. I might say a little daring? to portray their physical relationship so graphically for a mainstream audience, but it didn’t seem like it was done just for the shock value. It didn’t seem to me like it was ‘gratuitous’ to use the common reference. I can only imagine that others might not agree though despite how mild the depiction really was.

Some of the kids acting seemed like it was on purpose sorta bad when they were in groups conversing with one another. I chalked it up to being in theme with the movie’s quirkiness overall.
I’m glad that I waited to see it with more of an appreciation for the 16mm playing a pretty major role in the character of the movie itself.
Fastfwd is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 8,958
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Great review! I went to the showing after the local ‘premiere’ of Rushmoore in Austin, TX back in the day – Jason Shcwartzman (I’m pretty sure, but don’t know why) came out and was walking the line outside talking to people. I have no idea why they had a local ‘premiere’ in Austin – maybe part of it was shot there? Dunno. He seemed really nice.

I enjoy the quirky sort of storytelling – although I’m sure it might be a novelty that could wear thin for some easily. I actually picked this last night specifically now that I’m finally paying attention to what the movies are shot with and noticing the 16mm film format used. I’ve been watching the rise of digital enthusiastically, but my new plasma is opening my eyes to what everyone has been talking about are the qualities of film (or at least I think I’m seeing it lol – no, I really do see some movies shot on film accentuating that warmth and richness claimed)

Anyway, from that perspective – I was watching for any nuance of 16mm and my final impression was that it was perhaps given a lot of post treatment to produce the warm white balance tone in a lot of scenes, etc. and otherwise that possibly muted the color richness and/or maybe 16mm is known to just not produce the same richness of color that 35mm produces? It definitely seemed to give it an aesthetic of 60s and there seemed like an abundance of attention to color palette of various scenes that made it visually pleasing to watch for me anyway.

It was pretty entertaining; I was immediately drawn into why what appeared to be a really cute girl was so enamored by this boy that seemed to be a little more on the nerdy side (hey, I work a computer helpdesk job all day – I’m not knocking ‘nerdy’ but I’m calling it for how I see it).

The story of the bond over their commonality of being outcasts was endearing. I might say a little daring? to portray their physical relationship so graphically for a mainstream audience, but it didn’t seem like it was done just for the shock value. It didn’t seem to me like it was ‘gratuitous’ to use the common reference. I can only imagine that others might not agree though despite how mild the depiction really was.

Some of the kids acting seemed like it was on purpose sorta bad when they were in groups conversing with one another. I chalked it up to being in theme with the movie’s quirkiness overall.
I’m glad that I waited to see it with more of an appreciation for the 16mm playing a pretty major role in the character of the movie itself.

Greetings,

Great stuff Fastfwd. Thanks much for sharing you thoughts.. smile.gif


Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Ralph Potts is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Moonrise Kingdom

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off