Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1992
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MEPG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French, German, Japanese, Spanish Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Danish, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Japanese, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
Starring: Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna, Lori Petty, David Strathairn, Jon Lovitz, Garry Marshall, Rosie O’Donnell, Tracy Reiner, Bitty Schram, Anne Ramsey
Directed by: Penny Marshall
Music by: Hans Zimmer
Written by: Lowell Ganz & Babaloo Mandel
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 16, 2012

"There’s no crying in baseball!"

Film Synopsis:

Tom Hanks, Geena Davis and Madonna star in this major-league comedy from the team that brought you Big. Hanks stars as Jimmy Dugan, a washed-up ballplayer whose big league days are over. Hired to coach in the All-American Girls Baseball League of 1943, while the male pros are at war, Dugan finds himself drawn back into the game by the heart and heroics of his all-girl team. Jon Lovitz adds a scene-stealing cameo as the sarcastic scout who recruits Dottie Hinson (Geena Davis), the baseball dolly with a Babe Ruth swing. Teammates Madonna, Lori Petty and Rosie O'Donnell round out the roster, taking the team to the World Series. Based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail, on the fields and off, for generations of athletes.

My Take:

A league of their own needs little introduction and is a classic based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail, both on the field and off, for generations of athletes to follow. It’s an effecting and delightful sports tale, which taught America “there’s no crying in baseball”.

Washed up pro ball player Jimmy Dugan is brought in by owner Walter Harvey as a name to help bring fans to the park to watch the newly formed All American Girls Professional Baseball League. Jimmy reluctantly agrees and assumes his role simply as a figurehead with no interest in managerial duties spending most of his time sleeping off the booze he consumed the night before.

Sisters Kit Keller and Dottie Hinson are recruited by baseball scout Ernie Capadino and brought to Chicago to try out for one of the four teams that will comprise the new league. Kit and Dottie are close but sibling rivalry, most due to Kit feeling she has always been in Dottie’s shadow, tends to drive a wedge between them. Dottie is a natural ballplayer with standout abilities with both the bat and glove while Kit is more of a scrapper that tends to struggle at the plate but makes up for it with a good pitching arm.

After the tryouts Dottie and Kit become “Rockford Peaches” along with 14 other girls including Mae, Doris, Betty, Evelyn, Marla, Ellen Sue and Alice. With no leadership from Jimmy, Dottie takes on the role of running the team. It isn’t long before Jimmy notices that, girls or not, there is plenty of talent and potential among them and he begins to actively manage the team. What Jimmy soon discovers is that ballplayers don’t have to wear pants to have heart. Similarly the players find that the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League brings out the best in them through a shared experience that will ultimately form a lasting bond.

The inspiration for A league of their own are the real women of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League, who in 1943 during World War II kept America’s favorite pastime not only alive but invigorated it. I tend to enjoy films based upon actual people and/or events and this is one of my all time favorites. The screenplay is by Academy Award® nominees Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel and is a perfect blend of humor, heart and melodrama. Supremely quotable with memorable characters and laugh out loud moments, director Penny Marshall (from what I have read) captures the essence of what the experience must have been like for the players while attaching a contemporary edge that seems transcendent. The cinematography is terrific. Among my favorites is the sequence in the final act when Kit gets the big hit and rounds the bases.

I like the choices made for he cast. I am not much of a Rosie O’Donnell or Madonna fan but together they work well here. Tom Hanks owns Jimmy and has many of the film’s best lines, the most obvious of which is the tagline for this review. This is probably my favorite Geena Davis film as I think this character plays to her strengths. Her chemistry with both Hanks and Lori Petty enlivens the proceedings. The remaining cast is made up of a variety of actors, including David Strathairn, Garry Marshall, Eddie Jones and Jon Lovitz all of whom contribute. If you look closely you’ll see a few familiar faces in the background, most notably Tea Leoni, Eddie Mekka, David L. Lander and Rance Howard. That’s in addition to the wonderful ensemble of unknown actors that portray members of the Rockford Peaches, my favorite being Bitty “There’s no crying in baseball” Schram.

A league of their own is timeless, rousing, inspirational and fun. For me it is a film that I never tire of as I find myself laughing, cheering and quoting the same parts. I am thrilled to add it to my Blu-ray collection.

A league of their own comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment as part of an exclusive purchase through online retailer Amazon.com.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

A league of their own comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

I have owned this film in its various home video release incarnations. I am happy to report that this presentation looks very good by comparison. Colors are vivid with subtle tonal variation and clean rendering. The range of colors is not particularly extensive but the earth tones which are its primary source look great. Facial textures and complexions are nicely delineated with warmth and lifelike tonality. Images are well detailed over the course of the film. This isn’t going to exhibit the type of razor sharp high gloss definition that we see from films today however the level of detail is complimentary. There are minor fluctuations in sharpness and detail that appear related to the original photography. Film grain is intact, and appears well preserved throughout the presentation. Blacks are stable with consistent contrast levels that draw out plenty of visible detail during light and dark segments. I found little to complain about and thoroughly enjoyed this high definition rendering from Sony.

The DTS-HD Master Audio mix presents this soundtrack’s elements quite naturally. There is lots of spoken dialogue in the film but it contains a variety of sounds and music that benefit from the high resolution afforded by lossless sound. The recording sounds a little dated but refined and dynamically supported. There are moments where there is no dialogue and the only auditory used to propel the story, are the music and/or a series of sounds. They are cleanly reproduced and free from strident highs or an edgy mid range. The front soundstage is narrow but opens up nicely during several sequences. There isn’t much in the way of active surround sound or deep low frequency effects but the application of supportive rear channel ambience and upper level bass adds an enriching element that enhances the presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Director & Cast commentary

• 15 deleted scenes with optional introduction by Penny Marshall

• “This used to be my playground” music video by Madonna

• Nine memorable innings – 50 minute multipart documentary
    1. Pre game
    2. Inning # 1 – First pitch
    3. Inning # 2 – The starting lineup
    4. Inning # 3 – Training camp
    5. Inning # 4 – Suit up
    6. Inning # 5 – Play ball
    7. Inning # 6 – Player by position: The Director
    8. Inning # 7 – The 7th inning stretch
    9. Inning # 8 – Great players/great stories
    10. Inning # 9 - Cooperstown
    11. Post game

Final Thoughts:

A league of their own needs little introduction and is a classic based on the true story of the pioneering women who blazed the trail, both on the field and off, for generations of athletes to follow. It’s an effecting and delightful sports tale, which taught America “there’s no crying in baseball”. It makes its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment in a solid offering that features faithful high definition video, complimentary lossless sound and a strong supplemental offering that is made up of previously released extras. If you’re a fan this is a must have plain and simple. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
sheshechic likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the review Ralph! I was wondering when this was coming out since the better half doesn't want to let go of the DVD. The part that gets me all the time in this film is when Betty's letter arrives saying her husband has been killed in action. Really brings home reality.

Jeff
post #3 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Seriously?

There's no crying in baseball!!

Dyslexics are teople poo.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 03:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Rosie O' Donald and Madonna together in a movie, huh, I'll pass.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I enjoyed this film and though I am not a Tom Hanks or Rosie fan, I think they did splendid and added to the sum total of the film. When I first saw this film, I kept thinking to myself that it was rather light handed and missed some of the deeper themes that could have been brought up - but I was forgetting that the story has to be told in a given amount of time and in that, A League of Their Own made some choices and the outcome was a very nice warm movie.

This topic of the movie would make for good a good TV show. So many lives impacted during the war era and views to be challenged (women filling in at that time, traditional male roles per se as example).

I don't know if I would add a blu ray version of this movie to my collection but when it does air on TV, I usually end up watching again and again parts of the movie. It simply is good fun.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , A League Of Their Own Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - A by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page