Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2012
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 124 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce, Logan Marshall-Green
Directed by: Ridley Scott
Music by: Marc Streitenfeld
Written by: Jon Spaihts & Damon Lindelof
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 9, 2012

"Questions will be answered"

Film Synopsis:

Archeologist couple Elizabeth Shaw (Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Marshall-Green) discover a star map that they interpret as an invitation from humanity's forerunners, the “Engineers.” Determined to find out more about them, the couple boards the scientific vessel Prometheus, created and funded by Peter Weyland (Pearce), CEO of Weyland Corporation. Lead by mission director Meredith Vickers (Theron) and monitored by Weyland’s android David (Fassbender), the team of explorers find a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth and embark on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe where they fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

My Take:

Prometheus is large, grandiose and the quintessence of director Ridley Scott’s vision. The question is, as a quasi-prequel to 1979’s Alien, does it provide answers to the burning questions? I would say that it depends. I mean if you’re familiar with Alien, predominantly the first two films (but more so the first), there are obvious questions relative to what they discover prior to encountering the eggs/face huggers and what follows. From that point things take off in another direction leaving those questions dangling but not forgotten. Prometheus opens with a hovering spacecraft departing an Earth-like world, and a humanoid alien drinking a dark substance carried in a secure container. After consuming the bubbling liquid, the alien painfully starts to disintegrate and falls headlong into a waterfall. He lands in the water below and as his remains dissolve his DNA triggers a biogenetic reaction.

Fast forward to the year 2089, an archaeological expedition lead by Elizabeth Shaw and Charlie Holloway discover a star map on a cave wall in Scotland that matches others found in various but completely distinct ancient cultures. Shaw and Holloway interpret this as an invitation from the "Engineers" whom they perceive as humanity’s creators. Peter Weyland, the elderly and dying CEO of Weyland Corporation, funds the creation of the scientific exploration vessel Prometheus to follow the map to the distant moon LV-223. Elizabeth, Charlie, and the crew travel in stasis while the David an android created by Peter Weyland, monitors their voyage. Arriving in 2093, they are informed via a hologram projection of Peter Weyland of their mission to find the Engineers and the answers to humanity’s questions. Upon observing what appears to be an unnatural structure disguised to look natural on the surface they land and send a team to investigate.

What they discover inside will lead to more unanswered questions but more importantly the realization that perhaps some questions are better left that way.

I liked Prometheus. Is it a wholly satisfying film within the Alien spectrum? Probably not but it can stand alone or as a sort of bridled introduction to the original story. I will say that those not familiar with Alien will find certain aspects of the film to be veiled in some way. It is an ambitious film with probably a few too many characters. There are most definitely some plot holes and I found some scenes to be gratuitously convenient (the two guys left behind to fall victim to the snake creatures and goop? Come on). However as a fan of the genre and Alien I couldn’t help but be drawn in by Prometheus’ vastness of scope, key references, superlative production elements and convincing performances by Michael Fassbender and Charlize Theron. I am very curious to see where it leads going forward as that direction will be important should an attempt be made to successfully bring the events together with Alien. Regardless I am appreciative for this film. Should they decide to leave things as is I can live with Prometheus and look forward to sitting down and watching it again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sci-fi violence including some intense images, and brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Prometheus comes to Blu-ray disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is a reference quality video presentation that looks superb. Images are visually arresting and have a rich dynamic quality that highlights its near flawless rendering of detail. The video has a three dimensional and razor sharp clarity that never left me wanting. The visual design is pure Ridley Scott as it features a limited color scheme that is aesthetically perfect for the subject matter. The majority of the film boasts deep shades of gray, blue, sepia, white and black. These colors are not vivid in tonality but their depiction is stark and fully appreciable onscreen. Contrast is strong and blacks are deep without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the darkened interiors of the cavernous Engineers ship and the open exterior expanse surrounding the Prometheus look stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses more CGI than real imagery. The end result is a superlative video presentation that truly evokes the emotion of the film.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is reference quality and is sure to please those who like to play their systems loud. I had high expectations for this soundtrack and this lossless audio presentation didn’t disappoint. I was treated to an impeccably detailed, powerfully dynamic, and demonstrative surround sound experience. Multi-layered sound effects are appropriately placed within the soundfield so that their purpose is definable yet never overstated. The mix makes effective and occasionally aggressive use of the surround channels to elongate the front soundstage and reproduce the spatial and discrete sounds of this demanding soundtrack. The front and rear sound fields are integrated with precision which enables a seamless transference during panning sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is a fairly aggressive mix that utilizes the subwoofer to accentuate its already extended dynamic range. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency detail. Dialogue has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute with terrific soundtrack. Prometheus on Blu-ray is truly demonstrative worthy in every regard as it looks and sounds terrific.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by director/producer Ridley Scott

• Audio commentary by writer Jon Spaihts & writer/executive producer Damon Lindelof

• (HD)The Peter Weyland files:
    1. Quiet eyes: Elizabeth Shaw – 2 minutes
    2. Happy Birthday, David – 2 minutes
    3. Prometheus transmission – 7 minutes
    4. TED Conference, 2023 – 7 minutes
  • (HD)14 Deleted & Alternate scenes including an alternate opening/ending

• Prometheus – Weyland Copr Archive Second Screen App

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Prometheus isn’t perfect but it strives to be and is more than the total sum of its parts. Ridley Scott’s vision brought to life is grandiose, engaging and in tune with the quintessence of what made Alien special. It comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this two disc package that features superlative audio/video quality and above average supplemental material that is highlighted by a pair of audio commentaries and an interesting/informative assortment of deleted/extended scenes. Prometheus is also available on 3D Blu-ray in a four disc Collector’s Edition which I will be adding to my library. Either way Prometheus is worth experiencing and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the 3D review be an addendum or a separate review? Seeing as this film has been touted as the successor to Avatar for best use of 3D, I'm surprised that it has not been commented on here.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM

Liked: 24
Hi Ralph,

I have been a fan of your reviews for years. Thanks for another excellent commentary on this film smile.gif

I can't wait to watch the BD this weekend!
post #4 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

Will the 3D review be an addendum or a separate review? Seeing as this film has been touted as the successor to Avatar for best use of 3D, I'm surprised that it has not been commented on here.

+1 ?

post #5 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

Greetings,

I have complained to Fox about not receiving the 3D release for review. I am waiting to hear back. Either way I will post a review of the 3D Blu-ray. My apologies..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Looking forward to it! Your impressions of the production, storyline and A/V are always insightful!
post #7 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I have been waiting for your review Ralph.

I did not watch this film on theaters with the specific intention on watching it at home. With you review I'm glad I waited.

You know what I'll be watching this weekend.

Thanks for the review(s)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
Screening Room - The Dream House
RPCRT-TV Overscan Reduction
Reference Blu-Ray Demo Disc

Reference 2: Blu-Ray Demo Disc

The Best of the Demo Discs Demo Disc

post #8 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Prometheus (3D) was one of the best experiences I have had in my theater. The audio was just stellar and that combined with perfectly done 3d made for a very immersive experience. I personally enjoyed the hell out of this film.

Kaboom.
post #9 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 12:00 PM

I usually do not post about movies ever but this movie was absolutely amazing in 3d, its the best 3d bluray in my collection and the best one i have ever viewed on my projector.
I look forward to hearing you opinion on the 3d bluray Ralph
post #10 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I absolutely loved Prometheus and I think your review nailed it on the head regarding it's relationship to the Alien series. Can't wait for a sequel!

post #11 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Great review Ralph! Looking forward to the 3D review as well. It has a 3.5hr making-of documentary as well so that should help the Extras score. I've the 3D version on my shelf right now, waiting until I can get a few hours one night to give it a full viewing.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thank you Ralph for your review. I watched this last night on 2D Blu Ray release and now have a reference disc. I saw this in the theater and kudos to the people involved as this transfer is eye candy on some scenes. The audio is well done as it does appear seamless between front and rear.

"Music is my religion"
Jimi Hendrix

post #13 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 16
Awesome stuff, Ralph!

Although I do have a few comments about the film (the IMO portion)...

The movie's beginning scenes were fantastic to see in 3d.
The effects were fairly outstanding.
I especially enjoyed the orrery segments and the medipod's futuristic abilities.
Character development, not so much.
Plot and storyline, not so much.
Though I guess you already knew what you were getting into if you bought/rented the film and/or had seen Aliens/Blade Runner.
Sound was pretty good, though for bassheads not as overwhelming as the Avengers or Transformers for body-trembling, ground-shaking, heart-thumping punches to your chest.
Became more of a "same old, same old" type of film with some "huh, wtf?" moments that should have been addressed to not insult our intelligence.
Don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll let you figure out to which scenes I am referring.
Entertaining overall, just lacking in anything absolutely fresh, never before seen or thought-provoking.

Maybe I'm being overly critical.

But I do think the movie would probably have been just as good without the dialogue.

And I was expecting to want more at the conclusion of the film, but really, I just didn't.

VT50, SC-57, BDT500, BP7002, CLR2500, SC Reference in case anyone was wondering the system setup I used to formulate my opinion.

In any case, great review Ralph!
post #14 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodit View Post

Awesome stuff, Ralph!
I especially enjoyed the orrery segments and the medipod's futuristic abilities.
Though I guess you already knew what you were getting into if you bought/rented the film and/or had seen Aliens/Blade Runner.
Sound was pretty good, though for bassheads not as overwhelming as the Avengers or Transformers for body-trembling, ground-shaking, heart-thumping punches to your chest.
Became more of a "same old, same old" type of film with some "huh, wtf?" moments that should have been addressed to not insult our intelligence.
Don't want to spoil anything for anyone, so I'll let you figure out to which scenes I am referring.
Entertaining overall, just lacking in anything absolutely fresh, never before seen or thought-provoking.
But I do think the movie would probably have been just as good without the dialogue.
And I was expecting to want more at the conclusion of the film, but really, I just didn't.
VT50, SC-57, BDT500, BP7002, CLR2500, SC Reference in case anyone was wondering the system setup I used to formulate my opinion.

You are definitely not being too critical - plot holes galore. It's been since the theaters, but I do plan on watching it again just to try out on my system.
post #15 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
]Definitely a flawed movie but still great. Greater than the sum of its parts like Ralph said. Watching the deleted scenes with the commentary clears up some of the wth moments but I don't agree with their reasons. I see a Directors Cut in the future for sure. It needs to be like 30-45 minutes longer though so......

I also enjoyed the 3D. I thought it held its ground with the audio and video just fine.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #16 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM

For those that have the 3d bluray version, is the digital download also in 3d format or only the disc?

Thanks in advance.
post #17 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by lodit View Post

Awesome stuff, Ralph!

Greetings,

Thanks much for sharing your thoughts/impressions lodit. Great stuff indeed.. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Thanks for the review Ralph! smile.gif Just blind bought this and am even more excited to check it out after reading your great review.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #19 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Thank you Ralph for the quick viewing, I was thinking we where going to get the review over the weekend, but so much happier it's in the now.
Great review too, and pretty much my same thoughts smile.gif

Anyone wants to discuss plot holes and such there are two different threads on everything Prometheus, and I would hate to see this Review thread go that route.

DJoel
post #20 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 11
I liked this film a lot, and as others have said, the 3D is one of those rare examples that show how it can effectively immerse you in the world and not just a gimmick. Visually striking, it is probably one of the most consistent art styles I can think of in terms of modern CGI-laden films.

I do agree that there are some flaws in the film. It's probably one of the most interesting and rewatchable messes I've ever seen. In particular, the example mentioned in the review where two characters seem to behave in exactly the way they need to to move the story forward, and there are some late reveals that don't seem to serve much of a purpose to the overall narrative. It's interesting to note that Jon Spaihts wrote the original screenplay, but the studio was nervous as he never wrote one before, and Lindelof (who worked on Lost) was called in to rewrite. There have been rumours that Spaihts was very unhappy the changes made to the script. The fact that the commentary between the two of them on the disc are clearly separate commentaries kind of support that. It would be interesting to know exactly what those changes were.

However, upon watching it twice (once in theatres) and discussing the film with others, I feel like it is not nearly as poorly paced or contains as many plot holes as some make it out to be. There is a lot that is implied during the film that they just didn't provide much exposition for. It might be a negative experience if you are just enjoying the ride, but I feel it makes the film more rewarding with multiple viewings. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
For instance, to me it seems clear David has all the emotions and feelings of a human, he is just hiding it from other humans who refuse to believe it's possible for him to have them, which fits into one of the themes of the film that suggests humans are full of hubris and think they are special in some way and also explains some of his erratic behaviour.
Furthermore, someone from another forum I frequent linked to some old reviews that showed Blade Runner and Alien had the same reception: That people praised the tension scenes and visual style but found the story cliched and the character development lacking. Perhaps Prometheus just needs more time - or an extended cut.

I do think the film has a lot of visual storytelling. For example, very little is explained about all the visual clues we get when they are exploring the cavern. I also think it touches on a lot of interesting themes, especially on the notion of blind belief, our own hubris, and the suggestion that maybe if we got answers to life's great mysteries, we may be dissatisfied with what we discover, and it will only lead to more questions. Of course, Scott is no Kubrick, but I still appreciate a big budget blockbuster that at least tries to go beyond mindless entertainment.

Also, while I knew Scott directed the film, I was unaware of it's relation to Alien, so that also might have tempered my expectations going in.
post #21 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
The special features and few deleted scenes answers few of the questions but in my opinion this movie was a missed opportunity as it had so much potential to trounce the entire Alien franchise. The element of surprise and tension are all there but it could have been taken to the next level had Ridley addressed the points mentioned here http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer

Blu-ray : 340
post #22 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post

The special features and few deleted scenes answers few of the questions but in my opinion this movie was a missed opportunity as it had so much potential to trounce the entire Alien franchise. The element of surprise and tension are all there but it could have been taken to the next level had Ridley addressed the points mentioned here http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Engineer

Agreed. The reasoning of keeping the pace going and keeping things a mystery is crap IMO. The story and character development is so obviously lacking. Could have been taken from great to epic.

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #23 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Warning, there may be a serious problem with the manufacturing of the 3D/2D set of Prometheus. I purchased the 3D/2D version from Best Buy in Southern NH. Got home, and, because I had already seen the movie in the theater I first tried to run the Extended "Extras" 2D Bluray disc and had problems getting it to even load, boot up or to play on my SONY BDP-S550. The furthest I got after a number of attempts was the Extended Features Menu Screen but the disc either wouldn't load or would freeze/totally birck my Bluray player. Sometimes the menu screen would work but it was impossible to navigate anywhere or to get any of the special features to play. I own the SONY BDP-S550 Bluray player (plays 2D only), it has the latest firmware update (September 15, 2012) and have never had any problems playing any Bluray disc before, never until now. After it wouldn't play I cleaned the lens, tried blowing high pressure air on the lens and this disc still would not play or play properly.

After playing the 2D Extended Features disc my S550 bricked every time! I could not eject the disc and every function on my S550 froze up completely. I literally had to unplug the player in order to do a hard reset just to eject the disc! One funny thing happened. Once after the menu screen loaded properly but would not function and it bricked my player I pulled the plug, did a hard reboot and ejected the disc. When I installed a totally different movie, a Weyland insignia background screen appeared and was the first image presented! This image lasted a good 30 seconds before it disappeared and the different Bluray movie I had placed in the S550 (ALIEN) loaded and began to play properly.

On the other hand every other Bluray disc I placed in the machine after that worked flawlessly.

I then put in the 2D Bluray copy of movie Prometheus. It also took a very long time for the 2D movie disk to load/boot up properly but when it finally did, the menu screen and everything played perfectly throughout the first half - 3/4s of the film. The problems started when the film is over half way through, when Shaw enters the room where David is washing the feet of Weyland who has been revived from hyper sleep. From that point on in the disc, MASSIVE MACRO BLOCKING and all sorts of video distortion and artifacts presented itself throughout the remainder of the film. The movie was nearly totally unwatchable throughout this section. The audio, however was fine and appears unaffected. As for this 2D Bluray disc, the pause, and play functions on my player worked but the menu screen did not function properly either.

I examined both of the 2D disk (the "Extended Extras and the Movie itself) and they both appeared normal, flawless and glossy, no scratches whatsoever which led me to believe there may be a serious, massive pressing problem. I hope this is not the case.

UPDATE: I exchanged the PROMETHEUS 3D Bluray set and rewatched both 2D discs. I returned it to a different BB for exchange hoping the problem rests with the 2D Bluray discs and not with the SONY S550's ability to play them. Had this been the case, it would have been the first 2D Blurays my SONY S550 has not been able to play, ever.

FINDINGS: Good news/Bad news:

I watched the 3D Prometheus Bluray set I exchanged at a different BB today and here are the results:

1) The Good News: Both the 2D Bluray movie Prometheus and the 2D Bluray Extended Extras discs played flawlessly on our SONY BDP-S550 and exhibited none of the serious problems I listed above. No bricking of my player, no macro blocking, no freezing of functions on the menus, Bluray remote or player... nothing. Everything worked and played exactly like it was supposed to: Exceptional Audio and Video.

2) The Bad News: There are definitely some copies of this 3D/2D set of Prometheus floating around that have serious problems that are factory/pressing related (I checked and the macro blocking occurred at the exact same spots and in exactly the same way every time and everywhere I rewound and checked throughout the entire last 1/4 of the 2D version of the film, indicating that the problems were imbedded in the disc and not a malfunction of our player. So let the buyer beware. *If anyone on AVS, or elsewhere experiences any of the problems/issues I listed in my post above regarding the 3D/2D set of Prometheus (*Note: A number of AVS members and others posting on the Internet have also cited having the exact same issues/problems with their copies of Prometheus on Bluray.), immediately return the set and exchange it for another one (preferably from a different location because the batch the store had you purchased yours from may have more defective sets from the same pressing). *Note: I do not know if this problem is confined to copies purchased from Best Buy or in general. However, given that it appears to be a factory pressing issue, I would say it is more wide spread than just one chain store.

I hope these findings prove helpful to everyone interested in purchasing the Blu-ray version of Prometheus.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 135
People it's fiction, and the first rule of fiction is, there are no rules. There is way too much about stuff floating around the internet discussing the film. I dread to think what internet forums would have done to Lawrence of Arabia if it was a new film.
Ranting aside:rolleyes: I saw this film in the theater and I bought the blu-ray. My advice is when you see it pay close attention then think it about. You will
get much more out it.
And lest I forget, thank you Ralph for all your work on these reviews.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #25 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
The 3D "Prometheus" is great on Blu-Ray. Ridley Scott uses the 3D for atmosphere. Since he has always been an amazing visual story teller, watching "Prometheus" in 3D will enhance the movie for all who buy it. Ralph is right as rain about the story problems, also about the film's ability to fascinate the audience. A Blu-Ray you will keep!
post #26 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I just finish watching the movie.

That is the alien that Ripley kill while putting on her spacesuit.

Somehow this movie didnt WOW me.
post #27 of 31 Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles View Post

It's interesting to note that Jon Spaihts wrote the original screenplay, but the studio was nervous as he never wrote one before, and Lindelof (who worked on Lost) was called in to rewrite. There have been rumours that Spaihts was very unhappy the changes made to the script. The fact that the commentary between the two of them on the disc are clearly separate commentaries kind of support that. It would be interesting to know exactly what those changes were.
For me, this is most likely the source of the majority of my frustrations with the film. I have no way to know for sure, but I also found the writing in Lost to be somewhat convoluted and frustrating. Always asking more questions than it answers and having lots plot holes and inconsistent characters. So I have a feeling the writing would have been much more in-line with my taste if the movie had been made of Jon Spaihts' version only.
Quote:
Also, while I knew Scott directed the film, I was unaware of it's relation to Alien, so that also might have tempered my expectations going in.
This was my other big problem. I read very early on that Scott was directing an "Alien prequel". I was so excited by that news that I put myself on a self-imposed media blackout so I would not know about any spoilers and would not get my expectations to out of whack... well it backfired on me... because the only expectation I went in with was that I was about to watch an Alien prequel, and it wasn't one. Of course it took me quite a while to figure that out as most of the things that were happening were close enough to tracking that I was thinking it was just bad writing and not that they were telling a unique story that just happened to be in the Alien universe and earlier in the timeline.

I still haven't watched my copy on Blu-Ray. I have a feeling I will enjoy it MUCH more now that I know what it is and what it isn't. I loved the look of the movie. I loved the effects. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I just didn't care for many of the choices made in the writing, and I feel there were some genuine mistakes made because of the shifting of gears making a prequel, and then not making a prequel, but then leaving in some art etc. that still had prequel written all over it such as the mural on the wall that clearly shows a queen alien and face huggers, and then in the movie itself eluding to the fact those had not been invented (or evolved) yet.

If you want to read more of my impressions after seeing it in the theatre, I wrote quite a bit more on that here:
http://forums.clant2k.com/showthread.php?t=71735

post #28 of 31 Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Thanks for the review Ralph looking forrward in watching this soon. smile.gif

Frank

post #29 of 31 Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
WOW...no 100 rating for audio and video.

Bummer!

post #30 of 31 Old 10-13-2012, 05:56 AM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

So I have a feeling the writing would have been much more in-line with my taste if the movie had been made of Jon Spaihts' version only.

Everything I've read about the Spaihts script is that is was boilerplate ALIEN/S, which has been done to death and had become stale. So stale they went on to make two horrible crossover semi-action movies that almost sunk both franchises. One of which would have seemed so close, that people would have a problem with it.

A lot of the setting and idea's not used in ALIEN, were to be used in his script and were ultimately kept for Prometheus, but the ALIEN plot was gutted to do something different and a bit more imaginative in that same universe. The questions became bugger, and the focus became the ship and thing sitting in the seat of ALIEN, and only indirectly it's cargo. Seeing how close the current, kept setting is to AvP anyways (or Mountain of Madness), I'm kind of glad it wasn't just a different spin on a movie already released. If we had got that, it would have been panned as already done, and while it might have been a marginally better ALIEN movie than the later ones in the series, it would have been forgettable.

You can only rely on a crew finding eggs, getting infected, and being hunted in the third act by the ALIEN for so long. I think the hints of a relationship between the xeno's and engineers in Prometheus added more fuel to the fire, and should make an interesting subplot to follow in the sequel. And the thing to remember, is this is only the opening salvo, it's setting the whole new narrative in motion by creating more questions, while focusing it's main story on Shaw and David (and what it is to be human, sentient, alive).

Anyways, second viewing is what elevated it for me personally. The pacing is very fast, and I had a similar need to connect it to alien thought process on my first viewing which at the breakneck speed, made me miss some things as I trailed into thought. There's also a lot of story being told in the art direction, sets, and subtle acting by the actors. Very easy to miss if you're only really listening to them, rather than observing. Scott very much expects his audience to not need their hands held, unlike someone, say, like Lucas. He'll show, but he won't have his actors outright tell (which seems to becoming more prevalent in film and tv). Funny enough, most of the cut material on the second disc is exactly those type of scenes.
Closed Thread Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Prometheus Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Prometheus

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page