Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

to add to this....I have a 152" screen, and I feel that I lose some depth when watching a movie like iRobot in 3-d, compared to movies like how to train your dragon 3-d. Maybe its me but I like having the bars there to differentiate where the borders are. In my case, when the screen size is that large, I lose focus on whats on screen since I am focusing all over the screen. Again, this is my "preference", and mine alone. Movies like Tron were fine since not all parts were the same AR, but my focus to the movie was enhanced more. I was kind of disappointed in the decision to make iRobot "full screen" since I thoroughly enjoyed the 2-D version so much, I feel like I lost some of the punch because it was "cropped" to fill the entire screen. Oh well....3-D is 3-D and depending on what movie is watched, everyone will have there own opinion.

Sitting a tad close to our giant screens, are we?

No, seriously, maybe sitting a few feet further back, should one have the room, for 1.78:1 viewing, helps? 'Course, sound re-calibration could be a problem, come to think of it, so maybe a sweet spot between 2 seating positions? Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think the CG movies are fine in full 16:9, but Ill stick to OAR for live action movies...
post #63 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I think the CG movies are fine in full 16:9, but Ill stick to OAR for live action movies...

I hear ya.... Though, Titanic 3D, whew! Not sure you could top that with 2.4:1... Then comes Dark Knight 2 and now 3 (on its way...) with shifting ratios a-la-TRON Legacy, and these are just 2D... Oh, well!
post #64 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 AM

post #65 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

nothing compares to the Imax 3d version, not even on my screen...although the embers from the burnt tree were cool...
post #66 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Taranteacher is completely missing the point. If the ,ovie was shot in 16:9 in mind, I have no problem watching it in 16:9. But when the studio (not the director) changing the OAR to different AR, that's when I have the problem. Titanic, Avatar AR change to 16:9 in3D were done at the director's instruction, therefore it's fine. I, robot, on the other hand, was cropped by the studio.

It has nothing to do with preference.

If I go with preference, I want all movies to be 21:9.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #67 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

im about 20ft back, and still enjoy like OAR over crop and chop....
David Susilo likes this.
post #68 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

I guess one should not buy this TV if 16:9 is what youre looking for :-)
http://www.eoshd.com/content/265/philips-release-2-39-1-anamorphic-tv-with-2560x1080p-resolution
David Susilo likes this.
post #69 of 89 Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Argh just read the review. No OAR = order cancelled. Shame since I really liked this movie and was hoping for a good 3D presentation.

Agreed. Oh well, more $$$ for other discs I suppose. smile.gif
David Susilo and RonAlam like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #70 of 89 Old 11-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I guess one should not buy this TV if 16:9 is what youre looking for :-)
http://www.eoshd.com/content/265/philips-release-2-39-1-anamorphic-tv-with-2560x1080p-resolution

Extremely expensive and quite ugly, but the ambient light feature is sweet. No, not for me, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Taranteacher is completely missing the point. If the ,ovie was shot in 16:9 in mind, I have no problem watching it in 16:9. But when the studio (not the director) changing the OAR to different AR, that's when I have the problem. Titanic, Avatar AR change to 16:9 in3D were done at the director's instruction, therefore it's fine. I, robot, on the other hand, was cropped by the studio.
It has nothing to do with preference.
If I go with preference, I want all movies to be 21:9.

OK, David, you've stated your view, and anyone can respect that. rolleyes.gif Just, consider this: what if nobody ever told you this movie had a different AR originally and you then saw it in this cropped-and-chopped-and-spammed-and-scammed-but-done-with-care-like-Ralph-says-it-looks-cool version? Would you not find it probly great to look at and maybe even recommend it? Food for thought... wink.gif

And, please, do yourself a favor and do not expect me to keep responding, as I've grown tired of it... Peace brother! smile.gif
post #71 of 89 Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

I feel like Taranteacher still doesnt understand. Its one thing to say that a movie looks good in 3D, and its another saying all movies are better in 16x9 format, which from your posts, you are implying. A bold statement none the less.
David Susilo likes this.
post #72 of 89 Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

: Just, consider this: what if nobody ever told you this movie had a different AR originally and you then saw it in this cropped-and-chopped-and-spammed-and-scammed-but-done-with-care-like-Ralph-says-it-looks-cool version? Would you not find it probly great to look at and maybe even recommend it? Food for thought... wink.gif

I, for one, can usually tell if a movie has been cropped. Having seen enough films, having been on enough sets to see how much time and effort goes into framing, and taking photos a bit myself, I cen often see when the composition just doesn't feel right. For one thing, on cropped films everything appears more centered, while a widescreen film often uses the frame to have people more to the left or right. Or when two heads are in the frame but the back of their heads are cut-0ff, etc. etc. Cropping sucks, period. If I need the picture to be "larger", I just move closer. But I sure as hell wouldn't pay for a cropped film. Bad enough I have to pay HBO for their 100% cropped movies. (I only hold on to HBO for BOARDWALK EMPIRE and a few other original shows. If it were just for films, I'd have dumped it years ago.)

post #73 of 89 Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Extremely expensive and quite ugly, but the ambient light feature is sweet. No, not for me, thank you!
OK, David, you've stated your view, and anyone can respect that. rolleyes.gif Just, consider this: what if nobody ever told you this movie had a different AR originally and you then saw it in this cropped-and-chopped-and-spammed-and-scammed-but-done-with-care-like-Ralph-says-it-looks-cool version? Would you not find it probly great to look at and maybe even recommend it? Food for thought... wink.gif
And, please, do yourself a favor and do not expect me to keep responding, as I've grown tired of it... Peace brother! smile.gif

It did have a different AR though originally and that is the problem. You are OK with it which is fine, but this is a perfectly legitimate complaint from those like me who prefer OAR. Go enjoy the disc and ignore the OAR crowd if you are happy. You are not going to change our mind on this if that is your goal.

post #74 of 89 Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Great to look at" is a preference, and there is no right and wrong way to measure that

But a butchered aspect ratio is "black and white". It's wrong regardless of preference.

My preference? All movies in 21:9. Is it right? Hell no! Only OAR is correct!

Oh well, these are the same conversation most of us had during 4:3 vs OAR days of DVD.

Funny that during LaserDisc days, the percentage of educated people on OAR was much higher than today.
RonAlam likes this.

my home theatre

post #75 of 89 Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 321
From the frame comparison, it looks like I, Robot may have been shot in anamorphic. The cropping does not seem to coincide with any Super 35 framing I've ever seen.

If I liked the movie, and even if I didn't... No OAR, no sale.

I can't believe I'm having to say that in this day and age.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #76 of 89 Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM

I apologize. Thanks for the education. smile.gif

Yes, cropping for the sake of cropping does become annoyingly apparent, I am aware of that, was just kind of hoping this version of I, ROBOT 3D had the cropping done in a more aesthetic way, avoiding as much as possible the presence of such traits. I too hate it when not properly done. Can anybody who has seen / owns it tell if such techniques were used "tastefully," so to speak? It looks like many here don't even want to look at it, but I am still looking forward to a positive response...

For the record, I only own the DVD. But, since I joined the Blu-ray bandwagon last December, this is one of those movies that I've been wanting to revisit but haven't simply because my now preffered 1080p viewing gets the best of me and I watch a Blu-ray instead. So, the avid 3D fan inside me wants to get this version, being both in 3D and containing lossless sound.

There is a sample scene of this in the Prometheus BR-3D disc, along with samples of Titanic and Avatar, and, while it looks decent enough (you can't in your right mind expect I, ROBOT to compare against Titanic or Avatar -- or Prometheus, for that matter), the HD lossless track sounds exceptionally good. Give it a shot, a friend of yours must by now be owning Prometheus 3D, so even if you didn't like that movie, you can still view those 3D samples, and then decide if I, ROBOT 3D is worth it! cool.gif
post #77 of 89 Old 11-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

so are you still implying 16x9 3D blu rays are the only way to watch 3D movies?
post #78 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM

C'mon, Ron! I understand it's a preference, and so should you. Not "the only way," just gald to see others agree with 1.78:1 3D, as long as it's done "tastefully," okay?

I'd like to hear, from such owners of this BD, their opinion, is all... Thank you, and have a nice day! smile.gif
post #79 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Fox sent me a review Blu-ray of this movie. Although I have no problem watching the action scenes, too many of the original breathtaking 2.35 vista turned to be very claustrophobic. I honestly don't remember scene-by-scene of the 2.35 disc, but from all the scenes I remember, NONE of it were open-matte in the 3D version, just cropped and chopped.

my home theatre

post #80 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Thank you, David, good to know! I'd still follow Ralph's lead in saying it's good, though!
post #81 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

he just disagreed with you, and you thanked him...im leaving this forum because i think the topic got lost withe the bickering...have fun everyone...
post #82 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:

he just disagreed with you, and you thanked him...im leaving this forum because i think the topic got lost withe the bickering...have fun everyone...

Was being sarcastic, if you know what that means, so...yeah, leave and get a life, man! rolleyes.gif
post #83 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Fox sent me a review Blu-ray of this movie. Although I have no problem watching the action scenes, too many of the original breathtaking 2.35 vista turned to be very claustrophobic. I honestly don't remember scene-by-scene of the 2.35 disc, but from all the scenes I remember, NONE of it were open-matte in the 3D version, just cropped and chopped.

Sad..........All to fill up the common 1.78 screen instead of preserving the OAR. frown.gif Thanks for the report.
David Susilo likes this.

post #84 of 89 Old 11-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I read a lot of the reviews here and see statements of not much 3D depth, while others see the 3D depth just fine. Correct 3D has infinity the width of your eyes, which is around 2.5 inches more or less. If your objects at infinity are much less than that, then you will see less 3D depth. Plus, sit closer to the screen, your 3D is more compressed. Sit too far back and it's elongated. So find the right distance from the screen, and make sure your objects are your eye width. There are many players that allow changing of the stereo separation like the Panasonic players. Anyway, my Panny BDT210 has saved many a 3D movie from 3D boredom by adjusting the 3D depth when needed.
David Susilo likes this.
post #85 of 89 Old 11-18-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As a CIH owner, I thnk I could live with this if it was open matte with no info on the sides chopped. It's no different than the premiun movie networks cutting of the sides of some scope films to "fill" the 16x9 screen.

I'm sure many dvd owners now regret buying pan and scan, just to fill their screen, now that they have HD sets.

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #86 of 89 Old 11-19-2012, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I bit at sale price of $15, only because its a favorite movie of mine and good demo material. Not endorsing the choices made.

Matt
post #87 of 89 Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

As a CIH owner, I thnk I could live with this if it was open matte with no info on the sides chopped. It's no different than the premiun movie networks cutting of the sides of some scope films to "fill" the 16x9 screen.
I'm sure many dvd owners now regret buying pan and scan, just to fill their screen, now that they have HD sets.
Tom

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Tom... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #88 of 89 Old 11-22-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I just wanted to share my thoughts on the movie. I'm halfway through watching it in 3D and have to say I'm really enjoying the transfer. I was disappointed that the movie isn't in 2.35:1 like others and the fact that Fox simply decided to go cheap on the "Combo Pack." Lots of movies have a dedicated 3D disc, separate from BD. That's what Fox should have done and included the OAR BD. It's not a movie I'm too familiar with, I think I've seen it once before, so I don't know what I'm missing off screen in the 1.78 transfer. I think the 3D is well done and certain scenes don't have a ton of depth and so far (halfway through, mind you) there's not a lot of pop outs. But I like 3D to be subtle and I think it suits that preference very well. But I do feel I'm a purist and prefer to see movies in OAR so I have also ordered a used 2.35:1 copy of the disc. The only hard part will be to find a 3D 3-disc case wink.gif. For 3D I think it's pretty good but I would still prefer OAR and I agree that OAR should be included (not just on the DVD).
post #89 of 89 Old 11-29-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Can anyone confirm the 2D Blu Ray disc from 2008 has side bars as part of the letterbox? I just put it on to watch it in full anamorphic and wanted to make sure my PC software (TMT5) isn't underscanning the picture.

Edit: Turns out CCC was underscanning the display when switching to 24p. I forgot to set up 24p profile with new display drivers. biggrin.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
I Robot Blu Ray 3d Combo , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page