Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2004
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 114 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Action/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio Lossless, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Korean
Starring: Will Smith, Bridget Moynahan, Bruce Greenwood, James Cromwell, Chi McBride
Directed by: Alex Proyas
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Jeff Vintar & Akiva Goldsman

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 23, 2012

"There are ghosts in the machine"

Film Synopsis:

In the year 2035, technology and robots are a trusted part of everyday life. But that trust is broken when a scientist is found dead and a skeptical detective (Smith) believes that a robot is responsible. Bridget Moynahan co-stars in this high-tech action thriller that questions whether technology will ultimately lead to mankind's salvation . . . or annihilation.

My Take:

I, Robot was the first catalog title that I recall reviewing on Blu-ray that really blew my socks off in terms of audio/video quality. I owned the DVD and was pretty excited when it was announced for Blu-ray. The film is far from cinematic royalty but its terrific popcorn entertainment that is underscored by great production value and a solidified star in Will Smith. I reviewed I, Robot before coming to write here at AVS. I looked at my comments and decided to include them in the review. Here is what I said:

I like Will Smith, period. He has charismatic and genuine onscreen presence that I find appealing. This seems to transcend the various roles he plays. The first time I saw I, Robot was on DVD and while I had heard mixed reviews on the film, I liked it. Along with Smith the casting is solid, with Bruce Greenwood and James Cromwell two of today‘s finest character actors along for the ride. This is not a perfect screenplay however Smith‘s turn as the embittered Robot hating Detective was strong enough to keep interest high. Alan Tudyk did an excellent job in lending his voice to “Sonny” which is an integral element in the telling of this story. Pacing was great as the film never seems to drag. For me this is one of those movies that I like to return to from time to time because I never tire of it.

It has been a few years since I have watched the film from beginning to end but my opinion remains the same. I, Robot is lots of fun and makes for a great bit of escapism that is pitch perfect for sci-fi action junkies in need of a fix.

Parental Guide:

The PG-13 rating is for brief partial nudity and intense stylized action. The rating is appropriate.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 80

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

I, Robot 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This film wasn’t shot natively in 3D but was converted in post- production. It should be noted that the aspect ratio here is 1.78:1 versus the films OAR of 2.35:1. Going into this review I wondered how the film’s effects and CG based elements would look in 3D. I was very pleased to see that the reproduction of the digital effects etc. translates as well here as it does in the 2D presentation. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the near field detection of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background which creates a perceptible sense of virtual space. High definition dimensionality and apparent resolution is identical to the 2D presentation. Comparing white/black levels, color and skin tone reproduction to the 2D presentation I found them to be identical as well. There isn’t an abundance of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen but several sequences, such as the Demobot attack, the tunnel crash and beginning of the finale (when Spoon and Dr. Calvin arrive on the motorcycle) make use of flashy 3D imagery. The majority of the time the presentation sticks to varying levels of “natural” dimension that really neither adds or detracts from the experience. I didn’t notice any distracting instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies. I enjoyed watching I, Robot in 3D which like the 2D version looks terrific on Blu-ray.

Like the video quality The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. This is an entertaining mix that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated. Sound effects traverse the room during the large fight sequences. Dynamics are energy filled and impact felt with discerning articulation and resolute clarity. This is a fairly aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its already strong dynamics. The quality of the bass is first rate as it is fills the room with clean, hard hitting, and deep resonating low frequency energy. Dialogue has excellent presence with clear, defining vocal character and noteworthy room penetration. This is a reference quality audio presentation that offers demonstration worthy material for those who like to show of their home theater systems.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

I, Robot comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps.

I, Robot is among my go to video demonstration discs and has been since I reviewed it back in 2008. It is simply a superb looking Blu-ray that delivers high level detail, razor sharpness and resolute definition that brings out the lifelike textures captured by the camera’s lens. Detail perception is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine rendering throughout. Colors are lavish with eye catching primaries and warm tonality that make them pleasing. Flesh tones are tonally natural with appreciable delineation among the varied complexional types in the cast. Boldly applied contrast and inky blacks provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is discerning which adds depth to the film’s variety of sequences shot in low lighting. The CGI and green screen photography softens some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity remains unaffected. There are no compression related video artifacts or distracting noise present in this whistle clean high definition video transfer that remains top tier viewing. It should be noted that the aspect ratio here is 1.78:1 versus the films OAR of 2.35:1. This coincides with the 3D conversion and didn’t have any deleterious effects on the quality of the video itself.

Bonus Features:

• 3D/2D high definition versions of I, Robot

• Bonus DVD of I, Robot (Original DVD release with legacy bonus material)

Final Thoughts:

I, Robot is as good now as it was when I first saw it. I have always found its high definition audio/video presentation on Blu-ray to be top notch and those elements carry over to this 3D offering from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. The 3D presentation doesn’t make demonstrative use of the platform but as a fan of the film I found it to be an enjoyable experience nonetheless. I was disappointed to see that the supplemental package found on the original Blu-ray release wasn’t included here. Purists may not like the fact that the film’s OAR of 2.35:1 has been matted to 1.78:1 but I didn’t find it to be problematic. If you like I, Robot and don’t already own it on Blu-ray (and bonus features aren’t that important to you), and are 3D ready this release is worth considering. Conversely this package probably doesn’t warrant an upgrade for casual 3D viewers that already own the original Blu-ray. However if you’re a true fan of the film and really enjoy 3D at home I recommend picking this up as a supplement to the original Blu-ray release. I of course will be keeping both!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As usual, thanks for your review Ralph. I was hoping the 3D would get a higher score. I actually cancelled my pre-order a few days ago because I wanted to wait until your review came out. I already own the 2D version and after reading your thoughts, I think I'll skip the purchase and just rent the 3D version. So thanks for saving me money! Hopefully Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter will have a better 3D score. biggrin.gif

post #3 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Liked: 10
I don't think he was giving the 3D a bad score, just saying that there wasn't a ton of 3D effects. IMO it was very well done, much better than I expected for a direct disk release. There isn't much pop out in your face 3D, but scenes like when he is under water in the car wreck really look great
post #4 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Great review, again... smile.gif

I was excited when I first learned that ‘I, Robot’ was being made into a movie. About a year or so before its release I just happened to read the book by Isaac Asimov. I found my Dad’s original 1950’s copy in the bookshelf and decided to read it… never put it down and I’m not a huge Sci-Fi guy! Although the book and the movie are vastly different I thought the movie did a great job capturing the essence of the ‘Three Rules’. Granted, it’s been 9-10 years since I read the book but I highly recommend it if you enjoyed the movie.

Amazing that it was written in the 1940's.

I-Robot.png

post #5 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcguire525 View Post

I don't think he was giving the 3D a bad score, just saying that there wasn't a ton of 3D effects. IMO it was very well done, much better than I expected for a direct disk release. There isn't much pop out in your face 3D, but scenes like when he is under water in the car wreck really look great

I know 80 is a "bad" score. But I was on the fence about this purchase and told myself I would get it if the 3D score was 90 or higher. I just recently jumped into the 3D world so right now I'm only interested in buying the top tier 3D presentations. And needless to say, I'm not a superfan of this movie anyway. Perhaps the rental will change my mind. smile.gif

post #6 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would like to know the reason behind the loss of original aspect ratio. For those with CIH setups, I don't see how the cropping can be much of anything but a negative.
David Susilo likes this.

Matt
post #7 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 View Post

I was on the fence about this purchase and told myself I would get it if the 3D score was 90 or higher.

Same here, but I've now decided to buy this release only if they put it on sale for a really good price (say $9.99 or less). If that doesn't happen, I'm happy with the 2D release that I already own...

oz
post #8 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

Liked: 10
Loss of OAR killed this for me.
post #9 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Why would they change the aspect to 1.78? Not too thrilled about that. I may have to pass on this one. I was happy with the 2D version and was willing to give this a shot but not in exchange for cropped up version.
post #10 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 06:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRGM1 View Post

Loss of OAR killed this for me.

Same here. LAME! mad.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Thanks for the review. Ive always really liked this movie but I'm still on the fence wether to get the 3D version after seeing the score of 80. Prolly say screw it and get it.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Thanks for the review. Ive always really liked this movie but I'm still on the fence wether to get the 3D version after seeing the score of 80. Prolly say screw it and get it.

I was disappointed in the 3D version, but I wanted a copy on BD. It was on sale at bby. The surround track is excellent. Fox cheaped out on the extras - it would have been nice to include a bonus BD with more stuff. (Like the Avengers BD at Target a few weeks ago) IMHO, the 2D to 3D conversion process using the JVC method still has a way to go with live action.
post #13 of 89 Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I thought "I Robot" was shot spherical and not in anamorpic Panavision. I thought the movie had too much had too much depth of field to be anamorphic and that the center of the frame was used for the original 2.35 release. Therefore the 3D version 1.78 didn't bother me. I thought I was seeing more of the frame, not less. Needless to say, I've been wrong before. The 3D was atmospheric and added to the movie. Spot on review of a classic.
post #14 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM

Liked: 11
1:78. Fail.
post #15 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

With this review, I guess I will pass on the 3D since I have the 2D. Thanks for the review...saved some $$!
post #16 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
I thought "I Robot" was shot spherical and not in anamorpic Panavision. I thought the movie had too much had too much depth of field to be anamorphic and that the center of the frame was used for the original 2.35 release. Therefore the 3D version 1.78 didn't bother me. I thought I was seeing more of the frame, not less.

@capnvid: The frame isopened up a bit vertically, but cropped horizontally as well. This review has a screenshot comparison:

http://noreruns.net/2012/10/23/blu-ray-review-i-robot-3d/
post #17 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Don't know where to post this but are you reviewing the Universal Monsters: Essential Collection? I've been waiting for that to appear.
post #18 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Don't know where to post this but are you reviewing the Universal Monsters: Essential Collection? I've been waiting for that to appear.

Greetings,

I won't be covering it at this time, sorry. redface.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #19 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I agree, no OAR, no sale.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #20 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post

@capnvid: The frame isopened up a bit vertically, but cropped horizontally as well. This review has a screenshot comparison:
http://noreruns.net/2012/10/23/blu-ray-review-i-robot-3d/

Horrible. Not only is it not OAR, but it is cropped to some degree as well. All this so we can fill the common 1.78 aspect screen? Why not just do this for 2d films as well. rolleyes.gif I hate this practice and HOPE it does not start happening more and more which I fear it will. frown.gif

post #21 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

1:78. Fail.
1.78 3D is much more immersive, no annoying black borders. One of the things that disappointed me about the Prometheus 3d release was that it was 2.35:1. All 3D releases should be 1.78.
post #22 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
wow...thats a selfish demand...
David Susilo likes this.
post #23 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by inefekt View Post

1.78 3D is much more immersive, no annoying black borders. One of the things that disappointed me about the Prometheus 3d release was that it was 2.35:1. All 3D releases should be 1.78.

Not if you have a 2.35 screen!
post #24 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 05:32 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And this is exactly why we are getting non OAR 3d releases frown.gif. I guess you would be fine cropping and /or opening up all OAR scope films in 2d as well just so it fills your TV every time?

I dont have a problem with this practice IF they include it as an additional option to the OAR version. To replace OAR with a cropped/opened up non OAR version is a shame. If they are only going to give us one version, it should be OAR.

post #25 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't believe that in this forum there are still prefer pan and scan over OAR rolleyes.gifmad.gifeek.gif

my home theatre

post #26 of 89 Old 10-25-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
It's not pan and scan. Non amamorphic 2.35 to one is taken from the middle of a full frame. You are simply seeing more, not less, of "I Robot." I'm in the minority, but I think the 3D Blu-Ray looks great in this aspect ratio.
post #27 of 89 Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

It's not pan and scan. Non amamorphic 2.35 to one is taken from the middle of a full frame. You are simply seeing more, not less, of "I Robot." I'm in the minority, but I think the 3D Blu-Ray looks great in this aspect ratio.

I agree. 3D is kinda gimmick anyway. For the full OAR I will watch the original.

Kaboom.
post #28 of 89 Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnvid View Post

that's not true. In most cases of this movie (and Titanic) you see "more" because it was open-matte, but in many action and CG sequences, they are cropped/pan&scan.

I honestly have zero problem in changing the aspect ratio for a different version of the movie (such in this case, the 3D version), but the 2D version, which is the original theatrical presentation should retain the OAR.

my home theatre

post #29 of 89 Old 10-26-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

that's not true. In most cases of this movie (and Titanic) you see "more" because it was open-matte, but in many action and CG sequences, they are cropped/pan&scan.
I honestly have zero problem in changing the aspect ratio for a different version of the movie (such in this case, the 3D version), but the 2D version, which is the original theatrical presentation should retain the OAR.

+1. It seems many of those most sensitive to changes in OAR prefer the traditional 2D presentation anyway.

I enjoy both the 2D and 3D on blu-rays at different times so I'd like to the see the producer give us whatever version of the 3D they think is best.

I'd view this just as directors choose the original movie's aspect ratio and presentation based on their own artistic choice of what is 'best'.

Family DVD Collection
Insider thread last question? R.I.P.
Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must first be overcome.
Samuel Johnson 1709-1784, British Author
post #30 of 89 Old 10-26-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I agree. All 3D releases should be like Avatar. Fill the whole screen.
MANiaC3173 likes this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
I Robot Blu Ray 3d Combo , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page