Feature running time: 86 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Aubrey Plaza, Mark Duplass, Jake Johnson, Karan Soni, Jenica Bergere, Kristin Bell, Jeff Garlin, Mary Lynn Rajskub
Directed by: Colin Trevorrow
Music by: Ryan Miller
Written by: Derek Connelly
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 30, 2012

"Can we change our destiny?"

Film Synopsis:

When an unusual classified ad inspires three cynical Seattle magazine employees to look for the story behind it, they discover a mysterious eccentric named Kenneth, a likable but paranoid supermarket clerk, who believes he's solved the riddle of time travel and intends to depart again soon. Together they embark on a hilarious, smart, and unexpectedly heartfelt journey that reveals how far believing can take you.

My Take:

Safety not guaranteed is an interesting film. I saw the trailer for it on another disc that I had in for review and immediately became intrigued. The story revolves around Darius an early twenty something magazine intern that wears her unhappy childhood on her sleeve. Darius isn’t complicated per se but those not willing to look below the surface would mistake her for your typical angst filled young adult. In reality she is searching, searching for a connection to someone that shares her inner strength but can identify with her fragile psyche. When she and fellow intern Arnau ( Karan Soni) volunteer to accompany senior staff writer Jeff on a bizarre assignment to track down the author of an unusual ad placed in the paper she feels an inkling that stirs thoughts of hope.

Darius is tasked with approaching Kenneth in an undercover capacity in order to ascertain the reason for his ad which states that he searching for someone to travel back in time with, they must bring their own weapons, will be paid upon their return and their safety is not guaranteed. Upon meeting with Kenneth under the guise of responding to his ad it becomes evident that perhaps Kenneth may not be operating with a “full deck”. He conducts an “interview” of Darius to ensure that she is right for the time traveling mission. Once he agrees he begins to “train” her which involves various things such as hand to hand, weapons and endurance workouts. In between the training they converse about the personal whys and wherefores associated with traveling back in time as well as past life events.

Darius begins to feel that, crazy or not, she shares a sort of kinship with Kenneth that draws her into his sense of purpose. She doesn’t share this with Jeff or Arnau but as the “mission date” gets nearer she finds it increasingly harder to continue the ruse on either side. When they accidentally discover that Kenneth’s paranoia/eccentric behavior may have foundation it raises the most obvious question of all. Can this guy really travel back in time???

Safety not guaranteed is all that I hoped it would be. It’s a story about fallible people and the emotional need in all of us that time travel might satisfy. Its strength lies in the interaction among the characters and the looming possibility in Kenneth’s fervent belief in why he is going back in time and how. Along the way are wonderfully interplayed moments that build upon one another toward the obvious question that isn’t answered until the final moment of the film. There is a little bit of everything here as the narrative balances a mix of light sentiment, romance/drama, adventure, mystery and humor which occasionally borders on laugh out funny. The subplots involving Jeff seeking out an old girlfriend and trying to help Arnau lose his virginity are smoothly integrated and complimentary. It’s the primary plotline involving Darius and Kenneth though that will keep you smiling and guessing up to the end.

Safety not guaranteed is a modest, quirky and entertaining comedy that succeeds thanks to solid script, apt direction and a well placed cast. I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to a revisit.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and some sexual references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Safety not guaranteed comes to Blu-ray disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This is a good looking high definition video presentation that is indicative of most new release films coming to Blu-ray. Images are resolved with appreciable detail that reveals plenty of visible texture during close up camera shots. The exterior pans of the rural locations featured in the story, offer lucid long range visuals and discernible levels of refinement. The film doesn’t utilize an extensive chromatic palette but tonal balance is on the money which leaves colors looking quite natural and pleasing. Fleshtones are on the pallid side but appear lifelike in depiction. White and black levels are appropriately balanced which provides punchy whites and stable blacks. I didn’t observe any deleterious video anomalies or artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is more than capable of handling the elements present in this dialogue driven comedy and sound excellent overall. Vocal reproduction is smooth and strident free through the center channel. The front oriented surround mix is delivered via a wide soundstage, with opulent detail and appropriate prioritization. Atmospheric ambience is lightly mixed to the rear channels which provides subtle venue replicating surround envelopment and music enhancement. Dynamic range is quite good as evidenced by one scene in particular but otherwise there isn’t much work for the subwoofer. Overall this is pleasing audio presentation that compliments the source material.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Safety not guaranteed: A movie making mission – 15 minute featurette

• (HD) The AD behind the movie – 2 minutes

Final Thoughts:

Safety not guaranteed is all that I hoped it would be. It’s a modest, quirky and entertaining comedy that succeeds thanks to solid script, apt direction and a well placed cast. It comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring satisfying high definition audio/video and a paltry supplemental package. I thoroughly enjoyed it and recommend that you toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks Ralph. I was interested in this, now I am really looking forward to seeing this one.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Sounds like the just the movie I like. Thanks!
post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM

Liked: 18
2 thumbs up for this one. My daughter brought it over last night and I thought it was a cheezy teen movie. Was totally wrong. Great movie.

"Man, I told you we shouldn't have shot Niedermeyer"

post #5 of 9 Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfett View Post

2 thumbs up for this one. My daughter brought it over last night and I thought it was a cheezy teen movie. Was totally wrong. Great movie.

Greetings,

cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 9 Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 AM

Liked: 13
Funny this movie showed up here.

I never watch movies on airplanes, with their little screens with horrible color, contrast, etc.

This movie came on, and I had never heard of it. I had nothing better to do, so I put on my headphones, assuming I would watch the first few minutes and sleep through the rest.

I ended up watching the entire thing! This is a very different, but surprisingly very good movie!

Kevin
post #7 of 9 Old 10-31-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
This one kind of flew under my radar, but after watching it I thought that this was one of the better little titles to come out this year. It was a pleasant surprise. I also like Aubrey Plaza and while she doesn't have a lot of range as an actress, I do like her in Parks and Recreation. Overall, a good Blu-ray presentation minus the compression macroblocking artifacts I noticed in the background while Darius and her father were eating dinner. This was rather odd as I normally do not see this on too many Blu-ray's, but this isn't really a complaint, but more of an observation than anything. I wonder if anyone else noticed during this particular scene.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-01-2012, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

This one kind of flew under my radar, but after watching it I thought that this was one of the better little titles to come out this year. It was a pleasant surprise. I also like Aubrey Plaza and while she doesn't have a lot of range as an actress, I do like her in Parks and Recreation. Overall, a good Blu-ray presentation minus the compression macroblocking artifacts I noticed in the background while Darius and her father were eating dinner. This was rather odd as I normally do not see this on too many Blu-ray's, but this isn't really a complaint, but more of an observation than anything. I wonder if anyone else noticed during this particular scene.

Greetings,

I didn't notice that Matt but will take another look.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 9 Old 11-03-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This one also went under my radar, maybe it was in limited release. Just watched it as a rental and thought it was a good independent type film. What I did not find in the movie was COMEDY. I know comedy can be different for different people, but I found little to no humor in this movie. Certainly not enough to label it as a pure comedy which is what I have found.

A bit of drama with a sprinkle of sci-fi but humor? Do anybody actually LOL with this flick? Not trying to be critical as I said I did like it and found it entertaining but just to label it a comedy raises expectations for humor that I think was lacking.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Safety Not Guaranteed Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page