Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 509
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2012
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 105 minutes
Genre: Action/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Benjamin Walker, Dominic Cooper, Anthony Mackie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Rufus Sewell, Martin Csokas
Directed by: Timur Bekmambetov
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Seth Grahame-Smith
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 23, 2012

"President by day. Hunter by night"

Film Synopsis:

From visionary filmmakers Tim Burton and Timur Bekmambetov (director of Wanted) comes this edgy thriller about the untold story that shaped our nation. Abraham Lincoln, history's greatest hunter of the undead, must risk the presidency, his family and his life to protect America from bloodthirsty vampires. Thrust into an epic fight against the ruthless killers, Lincoln must rely on those around him. But it's unclear who he can trust in this "visceral, violent and wild ride" (JoBlo.com) that's ablaze with plot twists, blood-pumping action and spectacular special effects!

My Take:

Based on the novel of the same name by Seth Grahame-Smith Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is narrated by Lincoln as he recounts the events of his life via his journal. It begins during his childhood after his father has a run in with a local merchant named Jack Bart in defense of a slave boy that young Abraham is friends with. Bart promises a reckoning and that night while in bed, Abraham witnesses what appears to be Bart, sneak into their home and infect his mother with some type of unknown sickness that quickly kills her. 10 years later as a young man with vengeance in his heart Abraham attempts to kill Bart only to find that Bart is a vampire. Bart makes quick work of Abraham but before Bart can finish him, a man by the name of Henry Sturges intervenes saving him. Bart escapes and Henry takes Abraham under his explaining to him that vampires do exist and have been living among them for ages. Henry details what it takes to kill vampires and trains Abraham in the art using his weapon of choice, a silver bladed axe.

Henry also promises Abraham the revenge he seeks on Bart but it can only come when the time is right. In the meantime Henry sends Abraham to Illinois where he settles as a store clerk and law student by day and vampire slayer by night. Henry warns Abraham against close relationships as they can be used by his enemies. Henry soon meets Mary Todd and they fall in love and marry. Meanwhile Abraham’s nightly activities haven’t gone unnoticed by the eldest of the undead, Adam, who has plans of his own that now include getting rid of the man in the tall hat. Abraham’s life takes a 180 degree turn when he discovers that perhaps he can do more good wielding a pen than an axe and goes into politics. Unfortunately, now President Lincoln finds that amidst the civil conflict and turmoil that the country is embroiled in lies the evil that he once fought. That evil seeks to take advantage of the situation in order to ensure not only its survival but dominion. Abraham must once again arm himself to take on an unimaginable foe. This time he isn’t alone…

As an action film junkie I am pretty much open to anything from a conceptual standpoint but I have to admit to raising an eyebrow when I initially saw the title for this film. Be that as it may the trailer certainly looked good enough to wet my appetite so I eagerly waited for Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter to come to Blu-ray. Going in I knew not to look at it from a literal perspective and was curious as to how the narrative would play out in terms of any historical significance. Therein rests the film’s biggest problem. On the one hand is a very decent action horror flick, ignoring the fact that the main character is the sixteenth president honest Abe who as we all know set the bar as high as they come. On the other hand the film incorporates many of the factual events in Lincoln’s life but altered to include the narrative theme of the vampires presence.

As such the film loses focus, periodically returning to a historical point to explain a particular event and how the vampires played a part in it. I would have much preferred a sort of alternate reality where things play out on their own with an outcome that could have but not necessarily tied into history. Despite that there is still much to enjoy here especially for action/horror fans. The production values are high and the action is nicely choreographed and visceral. From a conceptual standpoint Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is silly, tongue-in-cheek hokum, but as a mindless, kick ass, bloodletting action flick, it gets the job done.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence throughout and brief sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mpbs.

So far I haven’t been impressed with many of the native 2D to 3D conversions that I have reviewed on Blu-ray, although there have been exceptions. The recent 3D release of Titanic is a good example. Going into this review I wasn’t expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. This a very decent 3D presentation that makes good use of the platform. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by a predominantly natural sense of dimension as objects or people are layered in the foreground/background. There are a variety of sequences that provide a fun reach out and touch level of dimension as well as a bit of screen popping wizardry. This primarily revolves around the action based sequences and features flying objects, exploding debris, protruding weapons or floating particles in the air. Comparing contrast, color, skin tone reproduction and detail reproduction to the 2D presentation I think that they appear identical. I didn’t observe any overt instances of crosstalk/ghosting. Overall Abraham Lincoln Vampire hunter makes for an engaging and fun 3D experience.

Incorporating elements of horror and action a film like this relies heavily on its soundtrack to elicit the intended effect upon the audience and this DTS-HD Master Audio does just that. This is a fairly aggressive surround sound mix that features an array of well placed sound effects that engage the listening position. The room is illuminated with an array of sounds that are both directional and ambient in nature. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Bass reproduction is clean, extended and hard hitting as it accentuates the audio’s excellent dynamic range with rich, palpable impact. Dialogue intelligibility is never a problem even during the film’s active moments. This is a great surround sound experience that made this film a bit more enjoyable.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 86

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps.

This high definition presentation has a light grainy and filmic quality that doesn’t lend itself to razor sharp clarity and three dimensional quality. This film has an intentionally stylized visual design that utilizes a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the films subject matter/time period. The color range is limited to shades of steely blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson and muted sepia tones. Warm accents are used here and there to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. Fleshtones hold up well against the de-saturated chroma and don’t appear unnatural. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are punchy and grays are multi-staged and deep. The use of CGI and green screens softens some elements during wide angle pans but I never found it to be overtly distracting. I found the quality of the video to be high. It isn’t always razor sharp but it’s cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement and delineation that enhanced depth and revealed fine detail in objects, clothing, and physical features. Shadow delineation is a bit of a mixed bag which impacts visual penetration in certain scenes while others offers discerning depth of field. I didn’t detect any other obvious signs of video related anomalies or artifacts and thought that this encoding looked solid.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D Blu-ray

Disc 2: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 2D (plus bonus features)

• (HD) The great calamity – 7 minute animated short

• (HD) The making of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (5 featurettes):
    1. Dark secrets: Book to screen – 15 minutes
    2. On location: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter – 17 minutes
    3. Vampire hunting: Fight choreography – 16 minutes
    4. The art of transformation: Makeup effects – 13 minutes
    5. A visual feast: Timu Bekmambetov’s visual style – 13 minutes
  • Audio commentary with writer Seth Grahame-Smith

• (HD) “powerless” music video by Linkin Park

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of the same name by Seth Grahame-Smith Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter isn’t a conceptually strong film however that doesn’t prevent it from an entertaining action/horror popcorn flick that is sure to please genre fans. It storms onto Blu-ray in this multi-disc 3D offering that features a very decent 3D presentation, excellent high definition video quality and reference 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. An above average assortment of bonus supplements rounds out a solid package from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment that is well worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Oh, relief! Had me worried. I picked this up this afternoon having not seen the movie. How could I not after seeing the trailer? Abe and vampires? Sign me up! I think i'll like it. Now, where are my glasses? Oh, and thank you for the review.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Sign me up for the 2D version, looks really good

Frank

post #4 of 26 Old 10-28-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Curious to see this myself. I love me a good action flick.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #5 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 12:35 AM

Liked: 17
Ok, I liked it. I really liked it! ( figured I'd throw that little ode to Sally field in there since she is in the next Lincoln flick) This movie is entertaining and moved right along. The 3D image was crisp and clean and the darker scenes played quite well. I counted three scenes where there were issues with the 3D image that lasted but a few seconds combined. There was a nice amount of depth, though I wish the " pop " scenes popped a bit more. Nothing wrong with this soundtrack. There are some beautiful images in this one and two kick ass scenes. One involves horses, and the other a train. Do not be overly critical. After all, it's Abe and vampires! So, put on your glasses, turn up the volume and enjoy.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the review Ralph. How about that, 3D and OAR. I haven't seen this movie and will pick a copy up this week.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I was really looking forward to this but was bored out of my mind. Goofy is one thing but boring is unexceptable.
post #8 of 26 Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thanks, Mr Potts! Was gonna order this anyway, but the extra push by a great review does not hurt at all! Originally was thinking I'd get this since my 17-year-old saw this at the theater (2D) and said he enjoyed it, but now it'll be more of a purchase for myself (and my wife, since she does get a kick out of vampire films as well)! biggrin.gif
post #9 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Bought and watched this on release day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hoping for a review here as I trust Ralph Potts more than any other reviewer, both from the "film itself" and technical points of view. Thanks for the confirmation.

Steve S.
post #10 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Bought and watched this on release day and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was hoping for a review here as I trust Ralph Potts more than any other reviewer, both from the "film itself" and technical points of view. Thanks for the confirmation.

Greetings,

My pleasure Steve and thanks for the vote of confidence. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 26 Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Watched this last night and thought Honest Abe kicked ass. I had a good time watching it. The final battle was great. My one caveat is, Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I'm old school when it comes to my vampire lore. I don't like it when the bloodsuckers can go out in daylight. There is only one daywalker.
Other than that gripe, I enjoyed it.

Growing Older But Not Up
post #12 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
^^^I distinctly remember Henry applying some ointment before going out of his house the morning Abe discovered him in the bath--came out of a container marked "sunscreen" wink.gif

Steve S.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
I was really surprised by the action in this movie. Watched it on regular dvd but now I want to experience it again on blu ray. Also, at first I thought that the lead actor Benjamin Walker who played Abraham Lincoln was Liam Neeson. Lol!

"If you lend someone $20.00 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it!"
Equipment:
Classe SSP-600 Processor
Rotel RMB-1095 Amplifier
Pioneer PRO-151FD 60" Plasma
Oppo BDP-95 Blu Ray Player
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts/Studio 40 Rears/Studio CC-450 Center
Mirage BPS-400 Subwoofer
post #14 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I agree with you on this one Ralph. I thought this conversion was done very well. In the past if there was a movie released on Blu-ray 3D that was a 2D to 3D conversion I skipped the 3D and opted for the 2D version, however, the last 2 movies I watched in 3D were Avengers and Vampire Hunter and I was very impressed with both.
post #15 of 26 Old 10-31-2012, 09:37 PM

Nice review, you've piqued my interest enough to check it out. Strange title - but it may just work.

Thanks!
post #16 of 26 Old 11-01-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Matt! cool.gif

Rob, be sure to post back after you have seen it. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 26 Old 11-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Watched it last night and despite the title, it is a fun entertaining film. Great audio and video. The Linkin Park song on the closing credits is awesome. smile.gif

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #18 of 26 Old 11-05-2012, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the review.
Well, I'm a big fan of vampire movies. But I do not actually know what's the link between Lincon and vampire/hunter.
Sounds quite I'd interesting and systerious. like to check it out tommorrow. smile.gif
post #19 of 26 Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I like this movie. Much better action than Spiderman movie.
post #20 of 26 Old 11-22-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Nice one Ralph! watched this one tonight and all I can say is whats in a name, this was a solid flick and had I known Tim Burton ( who's films I love) had something to do with it, the title would have been dead on!

loved it!
post #21 of 26 Old 11-23-2012, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Nice one Ralph! watched this one tonight and all I can say is whats in a name, this was a solid flick and had I known Tim Burton ( who's films I love) had something to do with it, the title would have been dead on!
loved it!

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed this one too audiofan1. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #22 of 26 Old 12-08-2012, 09:17 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

I was really looking forward to this but was bored out of my mind. Goofy is one thing but boring is unexceptable.

I have to agree with you there this film was boring turned it off half way. Worst vampire film I've seen glad I rented it.

Frank

post #23 of 26 Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Bought it, saw it 3D, cranked it up, was blown away! Really enjoyed it... will be getting repeat viewings, for sure! LOL Benjamin Walker IS Liam Neeson 20 years younger indeed!
post #24 of 26 Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Yep its a fun movie and looks good in 3D and sounds good also.

I just couldn't bring myself to tell the wife that I brought a movie called "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D" and enjoyed it. eek.gif

ss

"Don't worry be happy"

post #25 of 26 Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it sillysally. smile.gif

I can appreciate the opinions of those that didn't connect with it as it is one of those hit or miss film experiences.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #26 of 26 Old 12-13-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Worst vampire film I've seen glad I rented it.

Well it sure will not be a repeat viewing for me and will not be a purchase. Had that typical fast cut, shaky camera action sequences used by film makers that do not know what they are doing (a me too mentality). This movie was unsure what it wanted to be. It tried to preach Abe thought all men should be free but they forgot to mention what was happening to the American Indian during Abe’s time at the helm.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3d Blu Ray 3d , Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Abraham by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page