Starring: AnnaLynne McCord, Traci Lords, Ariel Winter, Marlee Matlin, Ray Wise
Directed by: Richard Bates, Jr.
Written by: Richard Bates, Jr.
Music by: Steve Damstra II, Mads Heldtberg
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 16, 2012

"Heal The Sickness"

Film Synopsis:

Based on writer/director Richard Bates, Jr.’s short film of the same name, Excision follows a disturbed and delusional high school student with aspirations of a career in medicine goes to extremes to earn the approval of her controlling mother in this twisted coming-of-age shocker.

My Take:

In Excision, socially awkward High School senior Pauline (AnnaLynne McCord) ( 90210, Transporter 2) , has her plate full, mentally. Her demanding mother (Traci Lords) has given up on her, her father is numb and distant, and her sister is slowly dying of cystic fibrosis. To top it all off, she is as weird as can be, cant relate to any of her peers, she isn't a looker by any stretch of the imagination and she is delusional about her aspirations to be a surgeon. He has been having increasingly weird dreams of blood and guts, showing her as a worshiped beauty, giving us a sense to how demented Pauline is really becoming. When she finally sees a way to win approval from her mother (Traci Lords- you know, that Traci Lords), Pauline lets all her delusions and dreams mingle with reality. You know that cant be good now can it?

Voted #69 in the 2009 FHM list of "100 Sexiest Women in the World", AnnaLynne McCord does a seriously superb job of making herself ugly here. Not just plain ol' regular ugly, but the borderline disgusting sort. She really pulled it off, and it was not just the physical that did it; her acting here was completely creepy and believable. This goes for the whole cast of Excision. Every actor from Lords to John Waters, as a Priest of all things, helped the films shortcomings along, and kept me interested even when the 81 minute runtime seemed to drag a bit.

Excision was fresh enough to feel new, but familiar enough to lose a bit of the originality it had going for it. Conjuring up a few horror films in my head as I watched, Carrie certainly was on the top of the list. Gore and gross-out wise, the films dream sequences sure hit a nice stride between the super weird and super disgusting. If David Lynch and John Waters had a baby, this would be her story...

Parental Guide:

Strong violence, language and sexual content

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Excision comes to Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27.4 Mbps and English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.9 Mbps

Right from the beginning Excision has the ability to really wow with an impressive and 3D like depth of field. If you can forgive its slightly blown out contrast you will be rewarded with a stunning, but slightly stylistic video presentation. Filmed in HD, fine details are evident all over each frame, and thankfully there were no obtrusive signs of any banding or compression. Black levels are as good as they get, just take a look at the "confessional" scenes. The movies soundtrack is a nice counterpart with well placed and always intelligible dialogue. Surrounds are used well, creating a believable and impressive sound-stage. Dynamics and bass are top notch when called upon, however, this is generally a dialogue heavy movie.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Writer/Director Richard Bates, Jr.

Final Thoughts:

Excision. Was it sick? Yes. Was it original? Not really, though they wrapped many familiar elements in a new package. Was it good? Kinda. With its strong beginning, impressive cast and phenomenal A/V quality, it sure came off better than it could have. However, Excision will please horror fans, as the lack of good horror these days is a shame, and this is above most the crud coming out as "horror" these days. With its lack of special features, besides a Directors Commentary, I suggest a rental to interested parties. Too bad the 2008 short film of Excision from Richard Bates, Jr. was not included as an extra. I would have like to have seen that.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-05-2012, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I like edgy films and enjoyed this one. You didn't mention that it was also a black comedy. Laughed a few times at the bluntness. I've never heard of AnnaLynne McCord before...but I'll definitely have to see what she really looks like! Didn't even recognize Marlee Matlin until the end credits.

post #3 of 3 Old 11-07-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I like edgy films and enjoyed this one. You didn't mention that it was also a black comedy. Laughed a few times at the bluntness. I've never heard of AnnaLynne McCord before...but I'll definitely have to see what she really looks like! Didn't even recognize Marlee Matlin until the end credits.

I didn't laugh at all! Maybe I was grumpy that day? wink.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Excision Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Excision by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page