My Big Fat Greek Wedding 10th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews > My Big Fat Greek Wedding 10th Anniversary Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review
Ralph Potts's Avatar Ralph Potts 07:23 AM 11-07-2012
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: HBO - 2002
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish DTS 2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Greek
Starring: Nia Vardalos, John Corbett, Lainie Kazan, Michael Constantine, Gia Carides, Louis Mandylor, Andrea Martin, Joey Fatone
Directed by: Joel Zwick
Music by: Chris Wilson
Written by: Nia Vardalos
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 13, 2012

"Truth is stronger than fiction"

Film Synopsis:

Toula is 30 and unmarried. Which means as a nice Greek girl-she's a failure. Her sister and her cousins did the right thing-married Greek boys and made Greek babies. So everyone worries: what will become of Toula? Then one day she sees the ultimate unattainable guy and realizes the only way her life will get better is if she gets away from her big, fat Greek family. Toula escapes from the family restaurant. She exchanges her seating hostess jacket for a college diploma, convinces her aunt to giver he a new job, and trades in her coke-bottle glasses for contact lenses, just in time for "him" to walk back into her life. Ian Miller is tall, handsome but definitely not Greek. Their courtship is an Olympian culture clash. Can Ian handle Toula, her parents, her aunts, uncles, cousins and several centuries of Greek heritage? Will Toula discover the love she's been missing right in the heart of her big, fat family?

One thing is for sure, for better or worse, richer or poorer, with Ian's proposal, Toula is headed for her big, fat Greek wedding.

My Take:

Toula Portokalos is the plain 30 year old single daughter of Greek immigrants who expect her to “marry a Greek boy, make Greek babies and feed everyone until the day we die,” to make the family proud. Toula wants more and just wishes she were braver or prettier. One day while working in the family restaurant she locks eyes on a tall handsome stranger. Little does she know it but her life is about to change. Getting inspiration from the restaurant’s antiquated ordering system, and against her father Gus’ wishes, enrolls in a computer class at the local college. The change suits her and opens up the opportunity for her to work in her Aunt Voula’s travel agency. In addition to her new job Toula undergoes a personal makeover and one day while at work attracts the attention of her tall handsome stranger crush, Ian Miller.

The two instantly hit it off and secretly date due to Toula’s anxieties over her family’s big, loud “unorthodox” Greek ways and their opposition to dating non Greeks or “xeno”. After a whirlwind romance Ian pops the question which throws the into chaos leaving Toula to wonder if she will ever survive the planning of her big, fat Greek wedding.

I love My big fat Greek wedding and have since first seeing it back when it landed on home video. For me it is one of those movies that I can watch over again and find the same parts funny and moving. I like the idea that writer/star Nia Vardalos took a page from her own family story and shared it with us. Not only does it add an air of genuineness but it reminds us that we all come from families that may not be perfect but in the end are there. The perfectly kooky spin she puts on the proceedings that are underscored by the elements of romance and familial interaction are spot on. The characters are wonderfully drawn with each adding their own flavor to the mix. Quotable lines and laugh out loud moments can be found throughout and the cast is simply marvelous.

My big fat Greek wedding isn’t cinematic royalty but it’s a genuinely entertaining and classic romantic comedy that reminds us that we should all be so loved.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sensuality and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 72

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 76

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

My big fat Greek wedding comes to Blu-ray Disc from HBO featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 37 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.4 Mbps.

This video presentation offers little in the way of glossy, razor sharp images and primarily represents the film’s elements with little fanfare. Primary colors are tonally satisfying with deep blues and a natural rendering that mate well with the film’s subject matter. Complexions are texturally revealing and lifelike. Resolution is fair but softer definition leaves the mid level and wide angle views appearing less resolvable in terms of fine detail. Close ups tend to be more revealing of subtle refinement. Blacks are not especially deep but I thought that they stood out nicely when onscreen with mixed content. Shadow detail is a mixed bag which leaves some low level scenes lacking in appreciable delineation and depth. Contrast and brightness are toned down so that even brighter scenes appear less dynamic and eye catching. Grain is evident and primarily appears in even, moderate layers throughout.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack is primarily front focused with minimal use of the surround platform. The presentation is satisfying and like the video conveys the elements present in the film’s soundtrack with little fanfare. Dialogue is intelligible with average room penetration. The front three channels deliver the bulk of the sound and did so with good clarity and imaging, especially when the music is featured. The surrounds and sub saw minimal use and supported the soundtrack’s elements with light spatial dimension and bass response that accompanied the music score.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) “A look back at My big fat Greek wedding” – 30 minute retrospective featuring Nia Vardalos and John Corbett

• Deleted scenes – 5 minutes

• Audio commentary with Nia Vardalos, John Corbett and director Joel Zwick

• Bonus DVD

Final Thoughts:

My big fat Greek wedding isn’t cinematic royalty but it’s a genuinely entertaining and classic romantic comedy that reminds us that we should all be so loved. It makes its debut on Blu-ray from HBO in this 10th anniversary special edition that features unremarkable high definition audio/video quality and disappointing supplemental offering that is highlighted by a decent retrospective piece. While this may not be the special edition I was hoping for I am still pleased to own My big fat Greek wedding on Blu-ray. If it can be found at the right price I would recommend this for diehard fans and first time buyers. Otherwise I see no reason to upgrade from the DVD. Opa!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Franin's Avatar Franin 07:32 AM 11-07-2012
I didn't mind this film, will pick up when its cheap. Thanks for the review smile.gif
Saturn94's Avatar Saturn94 09:16 AM 11-07-2012
Loved this movie. Disappointing it didn't fare better on Blu ray. I'll probably just stick with my DVD copy.
Taranteacher's Avatar Taranteacher 12:33 PM 11-07-2012
It hadn't dawned on me I don't have this in my collection. Personally, I found it a lot of fun back when it came out, but it's one of those I may need to get for my wife, daughter, mom etc! Thanks for the review, will consider getting probly on DVD -- or should a good Blu-ray deal come along... wink.gif
NCCaniac's Avatar NCCaniac 04:08 PM 11-09-2012
"It's a bundt."
Tags: Blu Ray Movies , My Big Fat Greek Wedding 10th Anniversary Special Edition Blu Ray
Up
Mobile  Desktop