ADU
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

If there is banding it's more likely due to your projector than anything inherent in the film.
Oh really, tell us how this is done and don't leave out any details.
Thanks

I believe the "banding" kwok lau is seeing are the subtle vertical lines or stripes of wear in the negative which can sometimes be seen in the middle of the frame in the desert scenes. I noticed them as well. And a couple others (including Ralph) have also commented on this above. So it's definitely there in the image. I'd agree with Ralph that's a fairly minor issue in an otherwise mostly impressive transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylight44 View Post

Could you be seeing the negative striping that was a result of the high desert temperatures? I believe they eliminated as much of that as was possible. It is discussed in the restoration piece on one of the extra discs.

^ Bingo.

ADU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 91 Old 01-27-2013, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Adu, I agree with you.
post #63 of 91 Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Had a short audio dropout during the scene where Allenby is trying to talk Lawrence to go back to Arabia (not sure of time but it's the scene where you can see the blood on the back of his uniform). Forwarded it a minute or so and it was fine and after rewinding and re-watching the scene audio was there Just a strange little tic and was wondering if anyone else had this happen. Otherwise the disc is absolutely stunning on all accounts. Played on Oppo 103.

post #64 of 91 Old 01-29-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I'm a little late to the party in acquiring this wonderful BD.

One thing that I'm suprised about is that Sony didn't provide chapter breaks at the end of the musical prelude, so you can skip right to the beginning of the movie (0:04:15) and same for the intermission. There should have been one at 02:23:37, where movie resumes.

Instead, the first chapter jumps to 0:09:31 (Chptr 2) and the intermission jumps from 02:19:29 (chptr 21) (music playing) to 02:30:05 (chptr 22). Makes no sense to me whatsoever. Fast forwarding vs a chapter jump is a bit of a pain. I noticed that no one else has commented on this. Am I being too picky?

In fact, I would have preferred they leave out the prelude and intermission music altogether. We do have "pause" buttons after all. However, I imagine that "purists" of the film want it as originally shown.

I tried making a backup and inserting the above mentioned chapter breaks, but it threw all the other chapters off. I then tired editing/cutting out the 2 scenes which, of course, threw the chapters off even more. I suppose I could adjust all the times manually, in the playlist, but a bit of a pain and then still wouldn't match the clips in the scene selections..

"Talk to me Goose"
post #65 of 91 Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I watched the first half of this movie tonight and I have a few issues with the sound and video. The picture does look very good but I did notice some vertical lines running down the center of the picture. Did anyone else notice that? The audio did seem harsh at times especially during explosions. The dialog does sound great though.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #66 of 91 Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM

Stepyourgameup,
Yes. Please see earlier replies above.
post #67 of 91 Old 01-31-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Thanks. I hadn't read the entire thread. Stupid me. redface.gif

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #68 of 91 Old 01-31-2013, 02:31 PM

No need to read from beginining. Just 4 messages above your message.
post #69 of 91 Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I just watched it. Fantastic in my opinion.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #70 of 91 Old 02-18-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
As this is my favorite movie of all time, I think i've watched it a dozen times in part here and there since buying the bluray.

Banding; yes, I noticed it later in the movie when some banding appears but I forgive it all due to age...

Chapter breaks: yes, this to me is the biggest negative of the disc, I do not like the chapter breaks on the bluray, not as smartly placed as on my SuperBit version...

Audio: best yest for this movie but not reference.

Amazing movie on many levels. Another tour de force in bluray presentation.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #71 of 91 Old 02-18-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Watched the first half and it really is a beautiful movie. I noticed when the Turks are bombing the camp that the explosions don't sound distorted like on my dvd version (or tv version). And I was lucky enough to see it on the big screen when it first came out.

Jeff
post #72 of 91 Old 02-19-2013, 02:48 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

It may be better than the DVD, but I'd agree with some of the other posters above that the sound is still showin some of it's age, and gets a bit distorted in some of the louder musical passages. So it may fall a bit short of some audio buffs expectations.

I'd agree with stepyourgameup and Safari Ken that dialogue sounds pretty decent though (for the most part). And Jarre's sweeping score + the HD imagery can still put a few tingles up the spine.

ADU
post #73 of 91 Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I also noticed a few of "hiccups" in the video, mainly in chapters 2, 20, and 21. I'm guessin most of those were deliberate edits where footage was replaced, or damaged frames were dropped, as opposed to encoding or playback errors. Not really sure though.

Here are the timecodes where they occur, in case anyone else wants to verify what I'm seein.

CHAPTER 2

10:08

11:35

CHAPTER 20

2:15:21

2:16:46

CHAPTER 21

2:26:02

2:27:02

2:27:37

ADU
post #74 of 91 Old 02-19-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post

It may be better than the DVD, but I'd agree with some of the other posters above that the sound is still showin some of it's age, and gets a bit distorted in some of the louder musical passages. So it may fall a bit short of some audio buffs expectations.

I'd agree with stepyourgameup and Safari Ken that dialogue sounds pretty decent though (for the most part). And Jarre's sweeping score + the HD imagery can still put a few tingles up the spine.

I agree with ADU's analysis. The audiotrack for the restored Lawrence of Arabia BD does, indeed, show its age a bit. Nevertheless, It is solid and the dialog is particularly clear. Those who have seen, and tried to understand what the actors are saying in, The Deer Hunter will understand just how important clear dialog is.smile.gif
post #75 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree with ADU's analysis. The audiotrack for the restored Lawrence of Arabia BD does, indeed, show its age a bit. Nevertheless, It is solid and the dialog is particularly clear. Those who have seen, and tried to understand what the actors are saying in, The Deer Hunter will understand just how important clear dialog is.smile.gif

I also would agree that the sound quality has not come off as well as the picture quality.. But I have some early (1961) Deutsche Grammophon CD's of Beethoven symphonies (Herbert Karajan conducting) and the restored sound track of Lawrence is certainly better than these, so the restoration has certainly achieved good results. To be fair, the CD's I am talking about are the original releases, not claimed remastered versions. But you would not pick the sound track of the Blu-ray Lawrence as being 1960's vintage. Not up to today's best, but very much still acceptable to todays ears.

The picture quality is really something else: sharp; beautiful colours etc
post #76 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 11:49 AM

As noted it's heat damage on the original negative. If you compare this release to the Superbit DVD you will see that they reduced the banding somewhat, but did not want to overuse digital tools to completely fix it. It is a fine compromise.

John K.
post #77 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

I'd agree with you John, re the subtle vertical lines/stripes of wear that are sometimes visible in the middle of the frame.

The "hiccups" I referred to in my last post are a different issue btw. The video appears to skip one or more frames at the timecodes I listed above. They go by quick though, so you have to pay pretty close attention to notice em. The hiccup at 11:35 in Chapter 2 is fairly easy to spot because it occurs as Lawrence turns to walk up a stairway, just after he says: "Tell him I've gone for a chat with a General". I'm guessin these were probably necessary/deliberate edits made during the original editing of the film, or in one of the restorations. Not 100% sure though.

ADU
post #78 of 91 Old 04-01-2013, 08:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I believe the "banding" kwok lau is seeing are the subtle vertical lines or stripes of wear in the negative which can sometimes be seen in the middle of the frame in the desert scenes. I noticed them as well. And a couple others (including Ralph) have also commented on this above. So it's definitely there in the image. I'd agree with Ralph that's a fairly minor issue in an otherwise mostly impressive transfer.

^ Bingo.

I noticed this ‘banding’ as well. I didn’t know exactly what to attribute it to, but I guessed that it was on the film itself and transferred to the scan – however that is accomplished; and it just wasn’t restored out. It’s probably only more pronounced because the image quality is otherwise spectacular!

I bought this and Samsara from Amazon and got them in for the weekend and frankly enjoyed the color from this more than Samsara personally. I’m not sure if they hyper saturated the colors in the restoration or if that is the accurate color (I tend to oversaturate my RAW files from my still camera and like them that way). I questioned in a few scenes if there were perceivable artifacts of the restoration against the night skies as well from my experience with Adobe Lightroom and color correction with it. Very slight if so and it wasn’t a reoccurring element.

The natural contrasts of the desert sands and the elaborately colorful adornments of the camels and horses, costumes, blue skies, etc. were pretty fab! The soundtrack was a little dry, but I can appreciate that they did a good job at working with what they had. There were more surround and lfe elements than some modern movies that I’ve watched for that matter.

I’m on board with no chapter point to skip that intro music; I actually thought something must not be right with my video lol. It’s like nearly 5 minutes of sound with no picture and that might have been a clue to this movie being nearly FOUR HOURS long that I didn’t notice until I was about 45 minutes into it. Thank God for the bookmarks! I quit it and picked it back up several times over the weekend to finish it (resume worked for the most part for that matter). Not that the story sucked or anything; the story was fine, but I didn’t plan for over 3.5 hours to sit through it in one sitting.

I would definitely rank this as one of my personal best video quality reference discs to show off what even an older film can look like on Blu-ray.
post #79 of 91 Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Agree with many of your thoughts above Fastfwd. (See my full review here.)

I don't think this is exactly the way Lean intended the film to look. But there is no doubt that he and his cinematographer both had great eyes for color and composition, and provided some great raw material (even in its badly degraded condition) for the restorers to work with.

I didn't fully appreciated the color in some scenes in this until after recently doing a fresh calibration of my TV, to get the grayscale closer to D65 across the full luminance range. There are some really nice pastels (esp. creams, blues and oranges) in many of the desert scenes for example, which are probably harder to pick up/appreciate on a poorly-adjusted display. There are times when the film looks almost like a pastel drawing come to life.

ADU
post #80 of 91 Old 06-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Just got this on amazon for 9.99. Can't wait to watch it, will be my first time.
post #81 of 91 Old 06-26-2013, 06:51 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

You're about to take a step into cinema history then, stickboy2k.

I still can't get over the remarkable image quality on this btw, esp. for an older film... Truly astonishing.

ADU
post #82 of 91 Old 06-26-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're about to take a step into cinema history then, stickboy2k.

I still can't get over the remarkable image quality on this btw, esp. for an older film... Truly astonishing.

I agree. Nobody ever put more startlingly beautiful images on film than David Lean and the Lawrence of Arabia BD captures every bit of that beauty.
post #83 of 91 Old 06-28-2013, 07:54 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Well said, gwsat.

ADU
post #84 of 91 Old 06-29-2013, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
As a Lawrence of Arabia virgin, I can't wait to get my copy. Ten dollars, no less. I'm glad to have ready Ralph's review and that of forum members.
post #85 of 91 Old 06-29-2013, 10:54 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Slightly OT, but BB frequently includes this film in their $9.99 "Buy One, Get One" SaveStation deals (net cost only $5 per film). They've done this a couple times in the last 6 months (I'm sure it was mentioned here in one of the deals threads). The last BOGO offer for this ended just a few weeks ago. However, you can probably pick this up for $4.99 with a DVD tradein in stores when BB resumes its "Upgrade & Save" program, which is supposed to start up again on July 14th I believe... Something to consider anyway. ($4.99 is a pittance for this classic imho.)

ADU
post #86 of 91 Old 06-29-2013, 11:39 AM
ADU
AVS Special Member

LoA newbs should probably also know that this film is intended primarily for mature viewers, and contains some fairly graphic/intense imagery and adult-oriented content at times for a PG-rated flick... Just FYI, in case there may be youngsters or other sensitive types hovering near/around your viewing area.

ADU
post #87 of 91 Old 03-02-2014, 01:57 PM

Just joined AVS so new . Saw your reference to lOA superbit and before I get blueray thought I would ask how much blueray improves on the video and audio of superbit?
post #88 of 91 Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeavs1 View Post

Just joined AVS so new . Saw your reference to lOA superbit and before I get blueray thought I would ask how much blueray improves on the video and audio of superbit?

First, no DVD is in the same world as even a mediocre BD. Second, the Lawrence of Arabia BD is ravishingly beautiful. It's reference level PQ does justice to David Lean's breathtakingly beautiful film. I am very selective about what films I buy on BD but Lawrence was one of them. Buy the BD and don't look back, you heard it here first. smile.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #89 of 91 Old 03-02-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

First, no DVD is in the same world as even a mediocre BD. Second, the Lawrence of Arabia BD is ravishingly beautiful. It's reference level PQ does justice to David Lean's breathtakingly beautiful film. I am very selective about what films I buy on BD but Lawrence was one of them. Buy the BD and don't look back, you heard it here first. smile.gif

Greetings,

Couldn't have said it better gwsat. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #90 of 91 Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 PM

Thanks. What is your list of the other BD you put in the elite category as LOA?
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Lawrence Of Arabia 50th Anniversary Collectors Edition Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Lawrence by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page