Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

THIS looks like a deal no?
DJoel

It is a deal. A good one, especially if you're looking to upgrade parts 1 and 2 to Blu-ray. I originally had pre-ordered it but was able to personally see and inspect each version out there and found the DigiBook most appealing. One thing in particular that turned me off was that the trilogy is way cooler in the DVD format eek.gif because that one has a triple-view lenticular cover wher you can see the bat logo in 3 different designs depicting each of the movies: a black logo with a brownish background where bats are flying in the distance turns into a redhot burning logo set on the side of a dark blue skyscraper turns into a bright yellowish-white logo surrounded by black skyscrapers under nuclear destruction, perfectly alligned causing a really nice effect, while the Blu-ray version is plain cardboard depicting the bat cowl. I think what they're trying to do is make the lesser DVDs more attractive for those preferring it, but honestly the Blu-ray trilogy is quite lame.

Cancelled that pre-order and bought the DigiBook, as I mentioned earlier, and it is outta here! Highly recommended. I will upgrade my Begins and Dark Knight DVD (I have both in special editions) to Blu later... wink.gif I may even wait for that Ultimate Mega Ultra Special Limited Collector's Edition trilogy everyone is saying will be out in 2013 to double dip then...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 AM

BTW, this is one hell of a sound mix folks---really, CRANK IT UP! It will put your sub(s) to the test! Visually, you can't tell that much of a difference between IMAX and non-IMAX scenes regarding PQ, and all that AR switching people keep whining about is truly immersive IMO. In fact, people who don't know about it won't even notice it---try it! They'll all go "Oh, yeah, I see it now!" ENJOY! cool.gif
post #63 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

BTW, this is one hell of a sound mix folks---really, CRANK IT UP! It will put your sub(s) to the test! Visually, you can't tell that much of a difference between IMAX and non-IMAX scenes regarding PQ, and all that AR switching people keep whining about is truly immersive IMO. In fact, people who don't know about it won't even notice it---try it! They'll all go "Oh, yeah, I see it now!" ENJOY! cool.gif

Try watching these variable aspect films on a scope screen using the zoom method and tell me it is not distracting. wink.gif Looking forward to watching this, but I am not looking forward to 72(!) minutes of distracting aspect switching on my 2.35 screen. I really wish all variable aspect films would include a constant aspect version for CIH users who cant get the intended effect. Transformers 2 gave us the option and everyone was happy.

I am looking forward to the audio though and the movie itself of course! cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #64 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

It is a deal. A good one, especially if you're looking to upgrade parts 1 and 2 to Blu-ray. I originally had pre-ordered it but was able to personally see and inspect each version out there and found the DigiBook most appealing. One thing in particular that turned me off was that the trilogy is way cooler in the DVD format eek.gif because that one has a triple-view lenticular cover wher you can see the bat logo in 3 different designs depicting each of the movies: a black logo with a brownish background where bats are flying in the distance turns into a redhot burning logo set on the side of a dark blue skyscraper turns into a bright yellowish-white logo surrounded by black skyscrapers under nuclear destruction, perfectly alligned causing a really nice effect, while the Blu-ray version is plain cardboard depicting the bat cowl. I think what they're trying to do is make the lesser DVDs more attractive for those preferring it, but honestly the Blu-ray trilogy is quite lame.
Cancelled that pre-order and bought the DigiBook, as I mentioned earlier, and it is outta here! Highly recommended. I will upgrade my Begins and Dark Knight DVD (I have both in special editions) to Blu later... wink.gif I may even wait for that Ultimate Mega Ultra Special Limited Collector's Edition trilogy everyone is saying will be out in 2013 to double dip then...

As much as I love physical media, I despise case, special edition head shape case, case that look like cars, guns, digibooks, I guess living in 750 Sq-ft apt. in NYC would do that, I have a 400 disc changer were I pop in my disc, and toss my cases in a box, so they're out of sight.

Thanks for description thou, who knows I might find it appealing if I see it person.

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

As much as I love physical media, I despise case, special edition head shape case, case that look like cars, guns, digibooks, I guess living in 750 Sq-ft apt. in NYC would do that, I have a 400 disc changer were I pop in my disc, and toss my cases in a box, so they're out of sight.
Thanks for description thou, who knows I might find it appealing if I see it person.
Djoel

You're welcome! wink.gif

Never did fancy those silly-looking cases either, but do prefer SteelBook editions. I just found the DigiBook even more of an eye-opener than the SteelBook with the broken Bat Cowl in the rain.

In your case, I think the trilogy would suit you better, AND you get what seems to be a nifty-looking 64-page book! It's also 5-discs, which people swear are the same ones in the regular individual formats...

Happy trails!
post #66 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
Bane's voice sounded exactly how it did when I saw this in the theater. I am not sure what the complaints are but I had no trouble understanding his spoken dialogue.
Regards,

The wife & I thought the same thing after seeing it theatrically....we both understood every word Bane said just fine. But maybe having a chid with a tendency to mumble helped us out in that regard.

Money does not buy happiness. It can, however, buy you a giant boat that you can pull up alongside happiness. - David Lee Roth

post #67 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb1970 View Post

The wife & I thought the same thing after seeing it theatrically....we both understood every word Bane said just fine. But maybe having a chid with a tendency to mumble helped us out in that regard.

15/70 IMAX theaters had trouble. It wasn't just Bane, though... it was every character.
post #68 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 04:13 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Try watching these variable aspect films on a scope screen using the zoom method and tell me it is not distracting. wink.gif Looking forward to watching this, but I am not looking forward to 72(!) minutes of distracting aspect switching on my 2.35 screen. I really wish all variable aspect films would include a constant aspect version for CIH users who cant get the intended effect. Transformers 2 gave us the option and everyone was happy.
I am looking forward to the audio though and the movie itself of course! cool.gif

Watch at reference Todd the audio is amazing and the change of aspect ratio on CIH is not much of a bothersome.

Frank

post #69 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Has anyone else tried renting this through BB?

I've had it in my que the last few months, and made sure to have nothing at home so that it would get shipped out the instant it was available, and when I check my que at BB, the status of this movie no longer says "To be released on 12/4/12", the last couple of days it's been saying "Unknown". WTH does that mean? It doesn't say "Out of Stock" or "Long Wait" etc.

Anyone else waiting on this from BB also? Or get their copy shipped out?

Thanks!

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #70 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Liked: 10
Watching the blu ray right now. I already own both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on blu ray, so even though DKR is my least favorite of the three, gotta have the trilogy, right?

First impressions: Very good looking film. The 2:40:1 scenes do have a more "filmic" appearance than the IMAX scenes, and to me, the IMAX scenes are noticeably sharper on my pro calibrated Panny 60ST50.

Overall, pretty impressed, and pleased with the purchase.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #71 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTitleExaminer View Post

Watching the blu ray right now. I already own both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight on blu ray, so even though DNK is my least favorite of the three, gotta have the trilogy, right?
First impressions: Very good looking film. The 2:40:1 scenes do have a more "filmic" appearance than the IMAX scenes, and to me, the IMAX scenes are noticeably sharper on my pro calibrated Panny 60ST50.
Overall, pretty impressed, and pleased with the purchase.

What's DNK?

Djoel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #72 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

DNK is commonly known as The Dark Knight.

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #73 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

I just wanted to say that I disagree with the review's assessment of fleshtones. I thought they were overly warm to the point that they looked bad enough to be distracting. It wasn't even consistent. In the same scene natural flesh tones could be replaced with overly warm ones. Heck if you watch the opening dinner scene again, the two pictures of Harvey Dent scene in the same frame look different! I know it looked that way in the theater as well, but let's be honest here the fleshtones in this film should not be highly praised.
post #74 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Has anyone else tried renting this through BB?
I've had it in my que the last few months, and made sure to have nothing at home so that it would get shipped out the instant it was available, and when I check my que at BB, the status of this movie no longer says "To be released on 12/4/12", the last couple of days it's been saying "Unknown". WTH does that mean? It doesn't say "Out of Stock" or "Long Wait" etc.
Anyone else waiting on this from BB also? Or get their copy shipped out?
Thanks!

So I guess everyone just went ahead and bought this?

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #75 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:

What's DNK?
Djoel

Oops. Wrong acronym.

The finger thing means the taxes!

post #76 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Watch at reference Todd the audio is amazing and the change of aspect ratio on CIH is not much of a bothersome.

cool.gif Sounds good Frank. Looking forward to it.

Just finished Nemo.........WOW! eek.gif

post #77 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 594
So, my wife bought my The Dark Knight Trilogy from Walmart today, which is awesome cause I've got the first 2 in DVD. So, I opened the box, and The Dark Knight main movie disk is missing mad.gif I called Walmart right away, and they exchanged it for another that had all the disks. I am currently ripping The Dark Knight Rises to added to my media server so I can finally watch it. I haven't watched yet biggrin.gif

Media Server: UnRaid Server: 15TB of storage and growing :).

Home Theater Set Up:

post #78 of 163 Old 12-04-2012, 09:01 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

cool.gif Sounds good Frank. Looking forward to it.
Just finished Nemo.........WOW! eek.gif

I knew you will be impressed with Nemo cool.gif

Frank

post #79 of 163 Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Watched this using a Lumagen Radiance video processor to stabilize the aspect ratio. Very immersive CIH experience. It might be worth the investment if you find v.a.r. films distracting (as I do).

The Build:
| The System:
| The Video Series:

Social:
|
|
|
|
post #80 of 163 Old 12-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

Watched this using a Lumagen Radiance video processor to stabilize the aspect ratio. Very immersive CIH experience. It might be worth the investment if you find v.a.r. films distracting (as I do).

Thanks Brolic. I have definitely considered adding a VP for better masking support among other things. Might be the only option since JVC still has not increased their otherwise great custom masking enough to cover this which baffles me. confused.gif

post #81 of 163 Old 12-05-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oops. Wrong acronym.

What's CIH? biggrin.gif

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #82 of 163 Old 12-05-2012, 06:14 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Quote:

Oops. Wrong acronym.

What's CIH? biggrin.gif

Certified Industrial Hygienist

Just kidding. smile.gif

Constant Image Height
post #83 of 163 Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Just watched and enjoyed it overall. Excellent audio and while not the deepest LFE, tons of it and it hit hard as well which was great.

I thought the movie was excellent as well and loved the way it ended.

The variable aspect however was HORRIBLE on my setup. frown.gif This $hit does not work doing the zoom method on a 2.35 screen without proper masking. I really wish they would offer a constant aspect option for scope screen users! mad.gif

post #84 of 163 Old 12-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
in that situation wouldnt it be best to set your screen to stay at 16:9 and deal with the black bars and slightly smaller screen? versus it zooming in and out through out the movie?

post #85 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

in that situation wouldnt it be best to set your screen to stay at 16:9 and deal with the black bars and slightly smaller screen? versus it zooming in and out through out the movie?

No because you then would be watching with black bars on all 4 sides for over half the movie in the 2.40 parts, not to mention the whole movie would be MUCH smaller. There is no good way to view variable aspect in a CIH setup using the zoom method if you dont have enough masking range.

post #86 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 10:34 AM

Liked: 16
The IMAX scenes are top notch. Lot of depth
But the 2.4 parts look soft to me. Is it just me. I honestly am disappointed by the 2.4 parts
At one point I even doubled checked if I was playing the DVD biggrin.gif
post #87 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytebuster View Post

The IMAX scenes are top notch. Lot of depth
But the 2.4 parts look soft to me. Is it just me. I honestly am disappointed by the 2.4 parts
At one point I even doubled checked if I was playing the DVD biggrin.gif

Agreed. It is not as jarring as DK was, but there is still a clear difference. The inconsistency of these two films due to IMAX/non IMAX shifts and the variable aspect BS takes me out of two otherwise great films to some degree. Not a fan of this!

post #88 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 07:31 PM

I moved back to the East Coast a decade ago. I miss the Metreon in SF!
post #89 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 07:34 PM

I'm on the fence about getting the Blu-Ray or the iTunes copy. Some of the people on iTunes complained that it left out the IMAX footage. Does anyone know what they are talking about?
post #90 of 163 Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 60
wow if its leaving out the IMAX footage its leaving a lot of important key scenes of the movie and some pretty action packed scenes like the arena collapsing and so on.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Dark Knight Rises Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page