Feature running time: 116 Minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTSHD-MA 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hardy, Shia LaBeouf, Gary Oldman, Jessica Chastian, Mia Wasikowska and Guy Pearce
Directed by: John Hillcoat
Music by: Michael Richard Plowman
Written by: Nick Cave
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 27, 2012

"When the law became corrupt, outlaws became heroes."

Film Synopsis:

Set in Depression-era Franklin County, Virginia, a bootlegging gang is threatened by a new deputy and other authorities who want a cut of their profits.

My Take:

Lawless is the based on the novel and true story of the Boudraunt Brothers, a bootlegging family who's blood ties were as strong as their will to keep things the old way when the big guns from Chicago show their faces to muscle a piece of the pie. Set in Franklin County, Virginia during the Prohibition-era, we follow these brothers rapid journey from small time to big time, and how they adapt to the new ways forced upon them. The strong Silent brother, Forrest (Tom Hardy) is stuck in his ways and wont budge, and Howard (Jason Clarke) seems to just go along with things. It's the timid brother, Jack (Shia LaBeouf), who the other two think isn't cut out for this criminal life, who has to prove himself to ensure his families finally security and survival.

I found Lawless to be a great movie that went away pretty quietly from theaters, but deserves your attention on home video. The acting was great all around, and Shia LaBeouf, whom the Internet likes to mock since he swung with monkeys in "Indiana Jones the The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", does a bang up job as the films protagonist. The film's antagonist, the corrupt Special Agent Charlie Rakes (Guy Pearce) was delightfully slimy and cold blooded, and the film's women, Jessica Chastain (The Help) and Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) round the rough edges of these hardened characters. The screenplay by Nick Cave (yes, from the band Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds) flowed perfectly with director John Hillcoat's (The Road) direction. The two have worked together before on 2005's "The Proposition", which also starred Guy Pearce, and is also recommended. Give this one a shot, as its mix of Western and 20s gangster worked exceptionally well.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong bloody violence, language and some sexuality and nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Lawless comes to Blu-ray disc from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29.8 mbps DTS-HD MA 5.1 lossless surround sound that has a average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

Anchor Bay delivers yet another high quality new release transfer with its Blu-ray of Lawless. The 1080p 2.35:1 image was stunning, with reference black levels that enhanced the films depth of field, which at times rendered foreground from background with a three dimensional feel. Colors were very natural, with only splashes of extra pop in the occasional red sweater, blood spill or rare daytime scene. Where I was most impressed was intra-scene contrast. There was a wide landscape shot of the woods at night, and the separation of the moonlight shining through the tree tops was perfect. Fleshtones ran from warm to cold, scene depending, adding to the films realism. Quite sharp, with fine details on every frame, this HD digitally filmed movie came across like film. The Lossless DTS-HD MA audio track had its moments, and had a few weaknesses as well. The bad was a few lost bits of dialogue, and a few times I longed for a little more oomph in the low end. The good is that the surrounds were used with care, never over-cooking things. During a shoot-out scene the bullets sure did whip around the room, while their concussion of the mid-range was impressive. This is all-in-all a pleasing track, but not the cream of the crop.

Bonus Features:

• Feature Commentary with Director John Hillcoat and Author Matt Bondurant

• (HD) The True Story of the Wettest County in the World

• (HD) The Story of The Bondurant Family

• (HD) "Midnight Run" Willie Nelson Music Video

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Franklin County, VA: Then and Now

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Lawless was a bit of a sleeper to me. How it was not a hit makes me sad at the state of cinema where bit budget homogenized Hollywood fare really does rule. Lawless was an engaging character study of a country family that stuck to their guns and their ways, even in the face of change. The acting, direction and pacing were air-tight and I highly recommend this Blu-ray, especially considering its phenomenal video presentation. Enjoy!

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Lee, looking forward to watching this.Although a little disappointed in the AQ score so I will probably just rent.
cheers
post #3 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Thanks Lee, looking forward to watching this.Although a little disappointed in the AQ score so I will probably just rent.
cheers

An 84 isn't bad, actually its in the "excellent" category. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I just noticed a couple of things that dropped it shy of reference.
post #4 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber View Post

An 84 isn't bad, actually its in the "excellent" category. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. I just noticed a couple of things that dropped it shy of reference.

Greetings,

I agree that the soundtrack is solid but ultimately unremarkable. Like Lee I enjoyed Lawless. The fact that my girl Jessica Chastain is in it didn't hurt either. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,
I agree that the soundtrack is solid but ultimately unremarkable. Like Lee I enjoyed Lawless. The fact that my girl Jessica Chastain is in it didn't hurt either. wink.gif
Regards,

2 words.

Full

Frontal
post #6 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

2 words.
Full
Frontal

Hehe, worth the price alone.
cheers
post #7 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Hehe, worth the price alone.
cheers

+1!
post #8 of 33 Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Not that the two words has anything to do with it but I'll sure give it a rental tomorrow. Nice review.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #9 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Looking forward in watching this one. Thank you smile.gif

Frank

post #10 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I saw Lawless in the theater and liked rather than loved it. Frankly, I thought Shia LaBeouf was in over his head against the likes of Tom Hardy, Jason Clarke, Guy Pierce, and Jessica Chastain. I thought then and still think now that casting LaBeouf in the pivotal role of the youngest Bondurant brother was a mistake. The performances of all the other principals were riveting, particularly Tom Hardy as troubled Forrest Bondurant, and Jessica Chastain, as the well travelled and ill used Maggie Beauford. I thought Guy Pierce was also terrific, as the thoroughly evil law officer, Charley Rakes. The film seems to certainly be worth a rental for those who have not seen it and maybe even a buy for those who can take Shia LaBeouf seriously. 7 Stars out of 10.
post #11 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I saw Lawless in the theater and liked rather than loved it. Frankly, I thought Shia LaBeouf was in over his head against the likes of Tom Hardy, Jason Clarke, Guy Pierce, and Jessica Chastain. I thought then and still think now that casting LaBeouf in the pivotal role of the youngest Bondurant brother was a mistake. The performances of all the other principals were riveting, particularly Tom Hardy as troubled Forrest Bondurant, and Jessica Chastain, as the well travelled and ill used Maggie Beauford. I thought Guy Pierce was also terrific, as the thoroughly evil law officer, Charley Rakes. The film seems to certainly be worth a rental for those who have not seen it and maybe even a buy for those who can take Shia LaBeouf seriously. 7 Stars out of 10.

Greetings,

Always great to hear your take gwsat. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #12 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Frankly, I thought Shia LaBeouf was in over his head against the likes of Tom Hardy, Jason Clarke, Guy Pierce, and Jessica Chastain.... I thought then and still think now that casting LaBeouf in the pivotal role of the youngest Bondurant brother was a mistake..

I thought this would be the case going in, and was surprised while watching that I enjoyed his performance, especially as it had none of his normal "wink wink" attitude.
Thanks for your thoughts.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
I liked Shia LaBeouf. I really liked Tom Hardy. His line to Jessica Chaistain (yes her full frontal was awesome and she's a great actress) "I thought I walked" was a terrific moment. Thanks for the review and comments, Lee and Ralph. I hope it helps this cult classic get the Blu-Ray audience it deserves.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-28-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
I watched this movie today and thouroughly enjoyed it. I thought the acting was top notch by all the cast. Some parts in there I certainly didn't see coming.
This movie would have flew under my radar if not for the great review.

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #15 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I wanted to see this the day I first saw the trailer. Thanks for the great review. It looks like mandatory weekend viewing!
post #16 of 33 Old 11-29-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I wanted to see this the day I first saw the trailer. Thanks for the great review. It looks like mandatory weekend viewing!
post #17 of 33 Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Recieved my copy today will be looking forward in watching this in the next couple of days.

Frank

post #18 of 33 Old 12-02-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought this would be the case going in, and was surprised while watching that I enjoyed his performance, especially as it had none of his normal "wink wink" attitude.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Lee -- In fairness to Shia LaBeouf, most of the critics were a lot more forgiving of his performance in Lawless than I was. I guess I have just spent too much time detesting the kid's performances to have been able to do a 180 and take him seriously in Lawless.
post #19 of 33 Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Watched this last night and for me it was a dud all around. Limp, thin audio overall. PQ was inconsistent to some degree as some shots looked great, others not so much. The biggest problem I had with the PQ is there was this faint strobing type thing going on with this transfer in a lot of the dark scenes that took me out of the picture and I am not talking about the scenes with a flickering fire/flame either. Thought it might be my RS45, but throwing in a few other discs eliminated that possibility. The movie itself just fell way flat for me as well. Shia was not convincing in the role at all IMO and it really brought down the whole movie for me since he was such a central part obviously.

Glad I rented!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 33 Old 12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched this last night and for me it was a dud all around. Limp, thin audio overall. PQ was inconsistent to some degree as some shots looked great, others not so much. The biggest problem I had with the PQ is there was this faint strobing type thing going on with this transfer in a lot of the dark scenes that took me out of the picture and I am not talking about the scenes with a flickering fire/flame either. Thought it might be my RS45, but throwing in a few other discs eliminated that possibility. The movie itself just fell way flat for me as well. Shia was not convincing in the role at all IMO and it really brought down the whole movie for me since he was such a central part obviously.
Glad I rented!

The problems you had with the PQ and AQ of the BD interested me. When I saw Lawless in the theater, I don't remember either the PQ or AQ being great but, as I recall, both were at least average. Sounds like somebody fumbled on the transfer to BD.
post #21 of 33 Old 12-03-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

After watching this weekend, very disappointed with the film. Excellent performances by all in a lackluster film. Something is missing and yet, I can't put my finger on it. For a gangster action movie, it fell flat. The A/Q is lacking as well. A rental at best.
post #22 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I saw the trailer when it first came out and wanted to see it in the theater. What stopped me was that Shia LaBeouf was in it. I never was a fan of his. After forcing myself to see this on a BD rental, I've had a change of heart regarding Mr. LaBeouf, and thought he did quite well (he convinced me) in his role playing one of the Boudraunt Brothers. I think it's funny how they use big / good looking Hollywood Stars to play true life roles that were originally full of real life, ugly, uneducated people. biggrin.gif

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #23 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

How polarizing this film is!

Some love it, some hate it....same for Shia.

As far is issues with the transfer, I noticed nothing, so don't let that post scare you...
post #24 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 197
I liked it better than Roger Ebert did, he called it "stupid people doing stupid things". I don't disagree with him, but I found it entertaining in spite of the one-dimensional characters.
post #25 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How polarizing this film is!
Some love it, some hate it....same for Shia.
As far is issues with the transfer, I noticed nothing, so don't let that post scare you...

Hi Lee, certainly not trying to scare anyone, but I would ask anyone else who watches this from this point forward to keep an eye out for what I am talking about. I am curious if anyone else notices this, or if this was something unique to my setup and/or disc. I have logged over 700 hours on my 45/93 setup at this point and the only other disc that has shown similar behavior in spots is Batman Begins.

If anyone happens to see what I am talking about, please chime in!

Thanks

post #26 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Hi Lee, certainly not trying to scare anyone, but I would ask anyone else who watches this from this point forward to keep an eye out for what I am talking about. I am curious if anyone else notices this, or if this was something unique to my setup and/or disc. I have logged over 700 hours on my 45/93 setup at this point and the only other disc that has shown similar behavior in spots is Batman Begins.
If anyone happens to see what I am talking about, please chime in!
Thanks

Maybe, it's time for a trade up to a 103? wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I watched this film on my 83 and it looked fine.

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #27 of 33 Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpendicular View Post

Maybe, it's time for a trade up to a 103? wink.gifbiggrin.gif
I watched this film on my 83 and it looked fine.

tongue.gif

I would love to trade up to the 103, but man I got to many upgrades going already this year! eek.gif About ready to pull the trigger on a BenQ W7000 as a 2nd 3d only projector to sit alongside my RS45 and its amazing 2d. Should make a lethal 2d/3d combo! cool.gif

post #28 of 33 Old 12-05-2012, 12:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

tongue.gif
I would love to trade up to the 103, but man I got to many upgrades going already this year! eek.gif About ready to pull the trigger on a BenQ W7000 as a 2nd 3d only projector to sit alongside my RS45 and its amazing 2d. Should make a lethal 2d/3d combo! cool.gif

That would be awesome Todd

Frank

post #29 of 33 Old 12-07-2012, 09:46 PM

I'm not an expert by any means, infact most of the audio video quality talk here on the forums goes right over my head.

Having said that, I noticed some fickering in a few spots in the film. The most obvious was right at the start, as the camera is doing a flyover of the area. (at the 1 min 41 second mark) I can see dark shadows moving across the trees, just a real quick flickering, almost like an old projector would make movies flicker back in the day. It's only visible during the overview of the trees, mainly noticeable in the lighter colors on the screen, like the yellow leaved trees. It only happens a few times in the film, and for a short amount of time.

Not really bagging on the film, just thought I'd mention that I see issues too.
I'm using a Panasonic DMP-BD605 player and an LG 46LD550 LCD.
post #30 of 33 Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

After watching this weekend, very disappointed with the film. Excellent performances by all in a lackluster film. Something is missing and yet, I can't put my finger on it. For a gangster action movie, it fell flat. The A/Q is lacking as well. A rental at best.

I felt the same way and actually loved three quarters of it but the pivitol points fell flat for a gangster movie. It just didn't deliver with the in your face results to make it a bona fide action gangster, al la Boardwalk Empire.

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Lawless Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page