Feature running time: 112 minutes
Genre: Drama/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS-5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring:Anna Kendrick, Skylar Astin, Rebel Wilson, Adam Devine, Anna Camp, Brittany Snow, John Michael Higgins, Elizabeth Banks
Directed by: Jason Moore
Music by: Christophe Beck & Mark Kilian
Written by: Kay Cannon based on the book by Mickey Rapkin
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 18, 2012

"Get pitch slapped"

Film Synopsis:

When Beca leads this acoustic singing group out of their traditional arrangements and perfect harmonies into all-new mashups, they fight to climb their way to the top of college music competitions. This could wind up either the coolest thing they’ll ever do or the most insane, and it will probably be a little of both. The Pitch Perfect ensemble includes Anna Kendrick (Twilight, Up in the Air), Anna Camp (The Help), Brittany Snow (Hairspray) and Rebel Wilson (Bridesmaids, Bachelorette).

My Take:

Beca (Anna Kendrick) is that girl who'd rather listen to what's coming out of her headphones than what's coming out of you. Her future plans didn’t include college but rather a career arranging, rather re-arranging music. The problem is that her dad won’t hear of it and strikes a bargain with her. She is to give college a whole hearted try and if after a year she doesn’t find it meaningful he will pay to fly her out to California to pursue her dream job. Arriving at Barden College, she immediately finds herself not right for any clique but by happenstance comes into one that she never would have picked on her own: alongside mean girls, sweet girls and weird girls whose only thing in common is how good they sound when they sing together.

The group has traditional music roots, which has gotten them into the competition finals at New York’s Lincoln Center in year’s past only to lose to the competing boys group from Barden. Problem number one, Beca is anything but traditional. Problem number two, this year’s crop of talent, is pulling in a variety of directions. The solution, take the group and the audience someplace they have never been.

Pitch perfect is as conventional a comedy as you will see both thematically and aesthetically. Taking a page out of the popular (or once popular) Glee TV series the plot here is college based and revolves around similar archetypes striving to be more than what most see as misfits/geeky nerds. On the inside the group struggles with issues both interpersonal and personal but as you might expect pulls together when it counts. I have no problem with conventional formulas as along as the characters are likeable and the narrative adheres to what works. That is exactly what you get here as the characters are well drawn and integrated via a decent script that contains some chuckle worthy moments, witty banter and several entertaining musical set pieces. I was pleasantly surprised to find Pitch perfect to be a charming, contemporary comedy that made for a 90 plus minutes well spent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual material, language, and drug references.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Pitch perfect comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This film utilizes a variety of bright color schemes and emboldened contrast which augments its thematic tone. The results are complimentary as deep, oversaturated reds, and vibrant blues are capably offset by a lavish assortment of pastels that can be striking and a perfect match for the varied showcases and source material. Fleshtones are on the warm side but are tonally balanced and lifelike in depiction. Contrast is stable throughout and blacks are rich which enlivens both bright and dark onscreen elements. Resolution is strong as images have excellent depth and appreciable delineation with clarity that accents the fine detail in physical features and objects within the frame. Sharpness wavers here and there but fidelity appears intact. This is a pristine high definition rendering that looked terrific on my big screen.

The film is predominant dialogue driven however its musical set pieces make excellent use of the surround platform. Vocal reproduction both spoken and sang is clear, well intonated and prominently placed within the front soundstage. The front three speakers have an open and detailed delivery with appreciable channel separation and discernible directional correlation that enhances depth. Surround activity comes in the form of ambience and some discretely placed effects that effectively extend the soundstage. The music/performances have appreciable top end air, discerning detail, and smooth highs that are non sibilant and make for a toe tapping and pleasing listening experience. The occasional use of low frequency effects and extended dynamics offer robust bass and enhanced energy that accent the presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with director Jason Moore, and producers Elizabeth Banks & Maz Handelman

• Feature commentary with producer Paul Brooks

• (HD) Starships, the Pitch Perfect music video – By Mike Tompkins, the cast and you

• (HD) 12 deleted/extended scenes

• (HD) Meanwhile (5 extended sequences):
    1. Activities fair
    2. Hood night
    3. Burrito hit
    4. Tone hangers
    5. Confessional
  • (HD) Line-O-Ramas (3 segments):
    1. Line-O-Rama
    2. The Aca-inappropriate version
    3. The announcer line-o-rama
  • (HD) Backstage at Barden – Faux interviews (3 segments)

• (HD) On the set: Burrito drive by! – 1 minute behind the scenes look

• (HD) A look inside – 3 minute featurette

• My scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live enabled

• pocket BLU app

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolent Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Pitch perfect is a formulaic Glee-ish comedy that brings nothing original to the genre table but manages to strike all the right conventional chords (pun intended). The result is a charming, contemporary comedy that I found surprisingly entertaining and fun. It makes its way onto Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in a solid offering that features strong technical merits and an above average supplemental package. I am not so sure it qualifies for a blind buy but if you generally enjoy the subject matter it’s easily worth a rental on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
Woobieizer likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Final Thoughts:

Pitch perfect is a formulaic Glee-ish comedy that brings nothing original to the genre table
I have no idea what that means ^^^^ It's no Fiddler on the Roof, or Sound of Music. But it was enjoyable.

My first time seeing most of these actors/actresses

Gotta love Anna Kendrick's smile

Attached Images
File Type: gif Anna Kendrick.gif (36.6 KB, 58 views)
post #3 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post
I have no idea what that means ^^^^ It's no Fiddler on the Roof, or Sound of Music. But it was enjoyable.

Greetings,

Hi Bill, what that refers to is the TV series "Glee" and how the film uses a similar formula/thematic tone. You only quoted part of what I wrote as I went on to say "but manages to strike all the right conventional chords (pun intended). The result is a charming, contemporary comedy that I found surprisingly entertaining and fun".

It's all good...

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Glee TV Series?? They still have those.. I was under the impression commercial TV died when Me, Seinfeld and of Friend exited stage left.

Seriously. I agreed with the entire review
Only quoted the part I did not at the time get. ....Ah Bach....

Wait for it....Anna Kendrick's gonna get ya!

.............POW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Hi Bill, what that refers to is the TV series "Glee" and how the film uses a similar formula/thematic tone. You only quoted part of what I wrote as I went on to say "but manages to strike all the right conventional chords (pun intended). The result is a charming, contemporary comedy that I found surprisingly entertaining and fun".

It's all good...

Regards,
Ralph Potts likes this.

Last edited by Woobieizer; 07-10-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: of??? she's killing me..
post #5 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woobieizer View Post

Yeah, I don't exactly agree with the comparison. In fact, as close as Pitch Perfect and Glee are to each other, I'd say they are as different as they can possibly be.

One is a high school dramatizing every stereotype under the sun and creating stories based off them, where the students spontaneously break into choreographed song and dance with instrumental sounds appearing out of the blue. Even regarding editing, all of it is completely ADR'ed, and it shows.

The other is a college where the writer/director said "What are the funniest character archetypes that we can come up with for the story?" and the plot is geared toward the competition itself. All songs are explained away in the plot, and a cappella replaces any need for "instruments." Everything sounds damn near in camera too, which is nice.

Pitch Perfect is a significantly better display of this 'genre.'
Ralph Potts and Woobieizer like this.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

@muffinmcfluffin

Friend, you nailed that description of Pitch Perfect and got me to Google "ARD'ed" and I learned what that means.

Since you got PP so well, I re-read your description of Glee and, I'll take your WORD for that.

A question remains as to what the term 'genre' to both you and @Ralph Potts use to depict this in review..
I'm taking from the context that it means 'generation of movies' more that it means 'artistic composition' herein.
Although I can read your post and see the vast differences in 'artistic composition', I see your ending line whispering
"Don't cast it as the stereotype, this sets the bar higher".

If this last question/statement seems divisive, just pass on by and know: I think the three of us would welcome a second watch for the fun of itl
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-11-2014, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post
Yeah, I don't exactly agree with the comparison. In fact, as close as Pitch Perfect and Glee are to each other, I'd say they are as different as they can possibly be.

One is a high school dramatizing every stereotype under the sun and creating stories based off them, where the students spontaneously break into choreographed song and dance with instrumental sounds appearing out of the blue. Even regarding editing, all of it is completely ADR'ed, and it shows.

The other is a college where the writer/director said "What are the funniest character archetypes that we can come up with for the story?" and the plot is geared toward the competition itself. All songs are explained away in the plot, and a cappella replaces any need for "instruments." Everything sounds damn near in camera too, which is nice.

Pitch Perfect is a significantly better display of this 'genre.'
Greetings,

I agree although I never made a direct comparison. My comment was that Pitch Perfect was Glee-ish, meaning they shared similarities (students, interpersonal relationships, school setting and of course the competition theme).

I have probably seen it three times now and yeah, I still enjoy it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Pitch Perfect Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page