Total Recall (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 243 Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Add me to the list of Multiple audio dropouts, 8 of them in 22 minutes.
At this point, I turn it off.
Did retured it today but only to get an exchange.
I guess I will be back and foword untill they got tired of seeing me or get my money until a new version come out.

Relevant equipment is
Oppo BD83
Onkyo PR-SC886

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 243 Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 353
What a great a/v ride this film was. I experienced audio delay, but this is due to my Oppo (The firm somehow still hasn't worked out the syncing issues with this cadre of players). Overall, this left movie-night attendees with jaws dropped!

Merry Christmas to all.
post #93 of 243 Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I had problems with audio the first time I played the disc. Switched the audio stream from Auto to Bitstream and had no problems on the 2nd run-through. Seems everyone is having problems WITH Bitstream instead of LPCM. I'm not sure if I want to sit through it a THIRD time in LPCM mode.

Player -- Oppo BDP-103 w/ latest firmware.
AVR -- Denon AVR-5308ci(a) with 3D/DSX upgrade.
Surround Mode -- Audyssey DSX to 9 speakers.

At least the last firmware update Oppo did for the BDP-103 allowed me to play previously-unplayable Alexander Jero BD-9 audio discs that use AVCHD. LOL

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #94 of 243 Old 12-24-2012, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yep, watched an Australian copy (so seems its all over the world ) of it last night and had about 3 drop outs within 15min on bitstream, switched to PCM and had no issue after that.
Oppo 93 player
post #95 of 243 Old 12-24-2012, 04:27 PM

Liked: 18
I used bitstream. Only one dropout occurred about one hour and twenty minutes in. It lasted less than a second. Hardly worth mentioning much less complaining about considering how good the audio was on this disc.

Nice use of lens flares throughout. J.J. Abrams would be proud. biggrin.gif

Edit: Should have mentioned player used was a PS3.
post #96 of 243 Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have two players, Panasonic BD-35 and Oppo 93, both of which do the lossless decoding to PCM for my system (so no bitstreaming).

Panny is my goto Region A player, it started acting up (audio dropout or two, an apparent increased framerate, along with some video stuttering (from recollection)) around 43 minutes in, while playing the extended cut. I went back and replayed that bad section, and the same approximate behavior repeated itself, so switched players.

Started it on the Oppo from about 40 minutes in, and it was smooth sailing. (Again, PCM is my only option.)

I thought Dolby TrueHD was supposed to be bulletproof. (Just kidding.) Anyway, I suspect some firmware updates will be coming out shortly, but mostly just a guess.

Edit: And, my workhorse Panny seems to be the only player mentioned so far that has issues while decoding audio to PCM. (The receiver is a Denon 5805mk2, which is HDMI 1.1.)
post #97 of 243 Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Same problem here on PS3 and Yamaha AVR. Switched to PCM and drop outs are gone but the sound is quite different. I have to raise the volume substantially to get it even somewhat close. But it sounds as if the music over powers the sound effects. As soon as there is action on screen the sound effects volume dwindles. Out of all the blurays I own thus is the first.
post #98 of 243 Old 12-26-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Went through a period of just buying every blu-ray I might possibly want to see. Got expensive, not to mention felt the money wasted in many many cases. Tried reviews to give me an idea if a given release would have what I was looking for -- mostly awesome audio. I generally know the type of film I'm going to like, and read very sparingly about plot, etc. to avoid ruining it for myself. I swear, just about every place you are going to look, you find these glowing appraisals of soundtracks I wasn't hearing when I bought these blu-rays.

The one exception here seems to be you Ralph Potts -- may I express my appreciation for your insights? We are attuned, and hearing the same things.

I had high hopes for this flick, and expected it to be good. Wasn't sure about the AV -- sometimes it can end up being pretty lackluster in spite of every reason to make it exceptional -- sci-fi action expensive remake, the whole nine yards -- still, others of that type have been botched.... This soundtrack ROCKS! One of the best of many years.

Unfortunately of course, I have the dropouts -- probably hundreds. At one point it was dropping every half-second and likely would have continued just that way until I cycled through the audio choices -- FRENCH, SPANISH etc., then back to TRU HD. It stabilized, but kept intermittently doing it throughout the watch. Read about "the fix" to PCM -- seemed like it cured the dropouts, but sound not at all the same. Some of the transparency and expansiveness gone, some of the crisp singing highs stolen away, low end not as round, full, rich, ROUND. So I prefer the TRU HD with dropouts -- but really want the NO dropouts, of course.

As to the movie -- when I read your reviews Ralph, I just go to the audio, then buy or not. After viewing, come back and see what you thought of the flick. Time and time again, we are in synch there as well. I had started reading some not too in-depth comments about this film from AVS posters -- worst ever, vapid soul-less, pointless exercise. I thought it was terrific entertainment. Everything I wanted. Money all over the screen. Wicked beautiful execution from start to finish, and that killer killer track. It's what you want, it's what you expect, given the talent and all the other factors that serve to inform judgment.

Contrast to another recent purchase: FAST FIVE -- available cheap on Black Friday. Did not find the Ralph review, so relied on someone else -- booming fresh track, plenty of rocking LFE, experience every crash as if there, blah blah blah. Waste of money, did not deliver.

So all of that AV acumen AND a not quite EX police officer as well? -- you are a man of many talents, Ralph, I thank you for the reliance I can place on you. In my case at least, you are steering me toward purchases that I don't regret. Studios should give you a commission.

Don't even regret TOTAL RECALL 2012, though contemplated a return of course, since I think it quite obvious that something is going on with this release, but the freshness of that track made it very very hard to part with, so I guess my hand is pat for now. Would like a handy way to contact the studio to lodge my complaint about the encoding though....
post #99 of 243 Old 12-26-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Went through a period of just buying every blu-ray I might possibly want to see. Got expensive, not to mention felt the money wasted in many many cases. Tried reviews to give me an idea if a given release would have what I was looking for -- mostly awesome audio. I generally know the type of film I'm going to like, and read very sparingly about plot, etc. to avoid ruining it for myself. I swear, just about every place you are going to look, you find these glowing appraisals of soundtracks I wasn't hearing when I bought these blu-rays.
The one exception here seems to be you Ralph Potts -- may I express my appreciation for your insights? We are attuned, and hearing the same things.
I had high hopes for this flick, and expected it to be good. Wasn't sure about the AV -- sometimes it can end up being pretty lackluster in spite of every reason to make it exceptional -- sci-fi action expensive remake, the whole nine yards -- still, others of that type have been botched.... This soundtrack ROCKS! One of the best of many years.
Unfortunately of course, I have the dropouts -- probably hundreds. At one point it was dropping every half-second and likely would have continued just that way until I cycled through the audio choices -- FRENCH, SPANISH etc., then back to TRU HD. It stabilized, but kept intermittently doing it throughout the watch. Read about "the fix" to PCM -- seemed like it cured the dropouts, but sound not at all the same. Some of the transparency and expansiveness gone, some of the crisp singing highs stolen away, low end not as round, full, rich, ROUND. So I prefer the TRU HD with dropouts -- but really want the NO dropouts, of course.
As to the movie -- when I read your reviews Ralph, I just go to the audio, then buy or not. After viewing, come back and see what you thought of the flick. Time and time again, we are in synch there as well. I had started reading some not too in-depth comments about this film from AVS posters -- worst ever, vapid soul-less, pointless exercise. I thought it was terrific entertainment. Everything I wanted. Money all over the screen. Wicked beautiful execution from start to finish, and that killer killer track. It's what you want, it's what you expect, given the talent and all the other factors that serve to inform judgment.
Contrast to another recent purchase: FAST FIVE -- available cheap on Black Friday. Did not find the Ralph review, so relied on someone else -- booming fresh track, plenty of rocking LFE, experience every crash as if there, blah blah blah. Waste of money, did not deliver.
So all of that AV acumen AND a not quite EX police officer as well? -- you are a man of many talents, Ralph, I thank you for the reliance I can place on you. In my case at least, you are steering me toward purchases that I don't regret. Studios should give you a commission.
Don't even regret TOTAL RECALL 2012, though contemplated a return of course, since I think it quite obvious that something is going on with this release, but the freshness of that track made it very very hard to part with, so I guess my hand is pat for now. Would like a handy way to contact the studio to lodge my complaint about the encoding though....

Greetings,

Emaych, thanks so much for your post. It is always rewarding to hear that your work is valued and appreciated. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #100 of 243 Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tried the directors cut to see if there is any dropouts as well?
post #101 of 243 Old 12-27-2012, 07:33 PM

Liked: 10
Mine dropped out on both versions when using bitstream, but PCM is fine... Just much lower volume. Using PS3 and Pioneer Elite amp. Hope Sony recalls this with fixed copies. And when the drop out happens the lip sync goes WAY off!
post #102 of 243 Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have had both Directors Cut and a Redbox Rental of of this, which is about 12 minutes shorter. The Directors Cut from BB had audio problems. The Redbox one had less but still there is some dropout

regarding the Elevator Explosion at 1 hour 20 min, did that sound a little thin? meaning it had less bass than what it should have

did anyone else notice this? overall, the movie has good sound
post #103 of 243 Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

I have had both Directors Cut and a Redbox Rental of of this, which is about 12 minutes shorter. The Directors Cut from BB had audio problems.

My rental of the DC (also from BB) played fine...not a single audio problem.

post #104 of 243 Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked: 407
What A PITA. Watched it with some friends last night and the drop outs were frequent and in some cases of fairly long duration. Good thing dialog is secondary in this film ... rolleyes.gif

BTW, I was bitstreaming via HDMI to an Oppo BDP-83 (one of the original beta test units).

HToM

"Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of science?"
post #105 of 243 Old 12-28-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

What A PITA. Watched it with some friends last night and the drop outs were frequent and in some cases of fairly long duration. Good thing dialog is secondary in this film ... rolleyes.gif
BTW, I was bitstreaming via HDMI to an Oppo BDP-83 (one of the original beta test units).

Multiple drop outs on 2 separate players. Netflix rental.
post #106 of 243 Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I wonder if they will have a total recall of the blu ray. He he he.

Kaboom.
post #107 of 243 Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I wonder if they will have a total recall of the blu ray. He he he.

biggrin.gif
post #108 of 243 Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM

Liked: 13
No audio drops whatsoever out on a PS3 slim with audio connected via optical and direct bitstream enabled. However, that is with the Canadian version of the Bluray.
post #109 of 243 Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

I found a fix (I think) as soon as you hear the audio drop out hit the on screen menu button, select scene selection then select the scene closest to where the audio dropped out. Then fast forward to where you were at. For me this worked great and it only dropped out twice but the sound sync was fixed with this method. The last time I watched it I had multiple dropouts and was unwatchable for me.
post #110 of 243 Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVenture View Post

No audio drops whatsoever out on a PS3 slim with audio connected via optical and direct bitstream enabled. However, that is with the Canadian version of the Bluray.
If you're using optical then you're not using Dolby TrueHD. You are "falling back" to Dolby Digital. So I guess the problem is only with the Dolby TrueHD track. I was excited about getting this movie, but I think I'll wait for a fixed version to be released.

post #111 of 243 Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
While it doesn’t quite live up to the 1990 film ...

I disagree. The different ending alone makes it superior to the '90 version. (I found Schartznegger's "Maybe it's all a dream" ending to be very lame.)

I saw no need for the 3 breasted woman scene - put in solely as homage to the Mars colony scenario. Since this time they were not on Mars there was no need for the 3 breasted woman, imo.

The airport face changing scene was superior - no mechanical against-the-wall hide-away.

And for those of us who love Kate Beckingsale it was a delight to be teased with Kate playing the dutiful powerless wife in the first half of the film (which made us feel frustrated that her abilities and expertise weren't being utilized) then turned into the relentless hunter lioness in the second half of the film.

Yes, there were some incongruities, specifically his previous identity. But there were some nice revelations, like the palm bullet holes which cemented the reality of the film.

But wistfully looking back at Schartznegger's campy style as nostalgia is like bemoaning the same antics in the early James Bond movies. Yes, it made for a "cutier" film, making us feel good all over but many of us like more realism. Would we have liked the "cutesy" feel of the Indiana Jones or Star Wars films? Sure. But I doubt that Colin Farrell would have liked to reprise his "Dare Devil" role in a new setting.
post #112 of 243 Old 12-30-2012, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

I disagree. The different ending alone makes it superior to the '90 version. (I found Schartznegger's "Maybe it's all a dream" ending to be very lame.)
I saw no need for the 3 breasted woman scene - put in solely as homage to the Mars colony scenario. Since this time they were not on Mars there was no need for the 3 breasted woman, imo.
The airport face changing scene was superior - no mechanical against-the-wall hide-away.
And for those of us who love Kate Beckingsale it was a delight to be teased with Kate playing the dutiful powerless wife in the first half of the film (which made us feel frustrated that her abilities and expertise weren't being utilized) then turned into the relentless hunter lioness in the second half of the film.
Yes, there were some incongruities, specifically his previous identity. But there were some nice revelations, like the palm bullet holes which cemented the reality of the film.
But wistfully looking back at Schartznegger's campy style as nostalgia is like bemoaning the same antics in the early James Bond movies. Yes, it made for a "cutier" film, making us feel good all over but many of us like more realism. Would we have liked the "cutesy" feel of the Indiana Jones or Star Wars films? Sure. But I doubt that Colin Farrell would have liked to reprise his "Dare Devil" role in a new setting.

Greetings,

Thanks for offering your perspective. Being that opinions on film are purely subjective you can appreciate my take as simply being my perspective. wink.gif

Great stuff.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #113 of 243 Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Surprised there is no mention of the amazingly annoying blue, yellow, and purple solar flares across the screen every 10 minutes for the first half of the movie. Very distracting.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #114 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 06:31 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Surprised there is no mention of the amazingly annoying blue, yellow, and purple solar flares across the screen every 10 minutes for the first half of the movie. Very distracting.

Yeah, I noticed but I'm new to blu ray and thought maybe there's a perfectly good explanation as to why they would put that in this movie. I kept trying to figure out how it could benefit this movie but, you're right, it' is annoying and actually looks like it wasn't intended to be there.
post #115 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 11:31 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

I was just about to post this as well. I see no reason for this, unless it was some clue as to Quaid's memory being wiped and new memories added prior to him being aware of this?
post #116 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Didn't they use the glare technique in the latest Star Trek? I think their using this technique more for Sci-fi films.
post #117 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Liked: 15
If it's a technique I wonder what it accomplishes?
post #118 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Its just a technique or effect, like a painter painting a masterpiece with only his hands and oil paint. Like a signature of that artist.
post #119 of 243 Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
For me it was so distracting that at first I wondered if I had a faulty disc but eventually decided it was just an effect they were going for.

If it was more subtle and only done once or twice it may have been ok but for me it really detracted from the scenes.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
post #120 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
For me those lighting effects did add to the movie oddly enough. I guess because the whole thing had a really nice slick look to it and the CGI was incredibly well done I thought. In some scenes, I couldn't help but marvel how pretty it all looked. biggrin.gif

I liked the movie alot overall. Towards the end it did seem to drag a bit and I think maybe they could have cut out 10-15 minutes of it. I liked some of the scenes where they had certain homages paid back to the original flick. Like the scene where Quaid had to sneak through security with that disguise on like the original, with the 1 lady looking around like "hey, what's everyone watching me for?" tongue.gif

Great action also. SQ and PQ were top notch. I have no idea why this got so many bad reviews.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Total Recall Mind Bending Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Total by PriceGrabber.com