Total Recall (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

SQ and PQ were top notch. I have no idea why this got so many bad reviews.

+1 ^^^

I'll be rewatching it for that alone.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGigaShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

Surprised there is no mention of the amazingly annoying blue, yellow, and purple solar flares across the screen every 10 minutes for the first half of the movie. Very distracting.

It was mentioned in my earlier post (#95). Only difference is I didn't refer to them as "annoying" or "distracting". I like the way he used them.
TheGigaShadow is offline  
post #123 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 02:57 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGigaShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

For me it was so distracting that at first I wondered if I had a faulty disc but eventually decided it was just an effect they were going for.
If it was more subtle and only done once or twice it may have been ok but for me it really detracted from the scenes.

If you thought it was distracting I highly suggest you steer clear of Star Trek (2009) and Super 8. What Wiseman did with the flares in Total Recall is absolutely subtle compared to how J.J. Abrams used them in the two films I mentioned.

And again this comes from someone who does not find it annoying or distracting. In all instances, I happen to like the look/effect a lot.
TheGigaShadow is offline  
post #124 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I've only seen star trek on dvd but I don't really recall noticing it as much. Also I noticed a similar effect on Ghost Rider 2 but it was a lot more subtle.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is offline  
post #125 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
TheGigaShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze13 View Post

I've only seen star trek on dvd but I don't really recall noticing it as much..

Really? Watch it again. You won't have to look hard to see them.

http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous
TheGigaShadow is offline  
post #126 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Angler55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mouth of the AuSable River, Michigan
Posts: 408
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
At first I didn't know if that "flare" technique was part of the movie or just a faulty disc but after being schooled here on this thread I now understand what's going on...a little.
Anyway, I feel it just didn't look right in this movie or that maybe they just over done the effect but after watching this movie, and not caring for the "flare" thing too much, I watched "Looper" yesterday and the "flare" effect worked a lot better for me. Maybe it's because it was more suttle? I'm not sure but it worked better for me on "Looper".
Angler55 is offline  
post #127 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Really? Watch it again. You won't have to look hard to see them.

Oh no hopefully it doesn't ruin the movie for me now! eek.gifsmile.gif

It still wasn't a deal breaker for me with total recall and maybe now that I'm prepared for it it won't bother me as much.

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is offline  
post #128 of 243 Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGigaShadow View Post

Really? Watch it again. You won't have to look hard to see them.
http://io9.com/5230278/jj-abrams-admits-star-trek-lens-flares-are-ridiculous

That's hilarious if that's true, about the use of a flashlight to get those flares on camera?

I had thought they were just edited in somehow.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #129 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallijonn View Post

I disagree. The different ending alone makes it superior to the '90 version. (I found Schartznegger's "Maybe it's all a dream" ending to be very lame.)
I saw no need for the 3 breasted woman scene - put in solely as homage to the Mars colony scenario. Since this time they were not on Mars there was no need for the 3 breasted woman, imo.
The airport face changing scene was superior - no mechanical against-the-wall hide-away.
And for those of us who love Kate Beckingsale it was a delight to be teased with Kate playing the dutiful powerless wife in the first half of the film (which made us feel frustrated that her abilities and expertise weren't being utilized) then turned into the relentless hunter lioness in the second half of the film.
Yes, there were some incongruities, specifically his previous identity. But there were some nice revelations, like the palm bullet holes which cemented the reality of the film.
But wistfully looking back at Schartznegger's campy style as nostalgia is like bemoaning the same antics in the early James Bond movies. Yes, it made for a "cutier" film, making us feel good all over but many of us like more realism. Would we have liked the "cutesy" feel of the Indiana Jones or Star Wars films? Sure. But I doubt that Colin Farrell would have liked to reprise his "Dare Devil" role in a new setting.

Spot on. I never considered the Verhoven version anything but a lame attempt to follow up on his Robocop success. This is a superior film in every way, but yeah that may not means much indeed.

As for the drop outs, when do you people will understand that you're part of a never ending beta test of Hollywood's greed? They even put a screen memo front of most films about that prompting you to "update" your firmware when available. They constantly messing with the BD standards in the name of copy rights, which forces the player MFR's to react, to come up with the update, which shouldn't be needed in the first place if the studios would keep their hands to themselves. There are some legitimate updates no doubt but most related to this practice, and it's shameful, but since most of you dances to their tune , it's unlikely it will stop anytime soon.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #130 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 AM
Member
 
GHafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I couldn't finish the film. At the one-hour mark, the drop out extended until the picture froze. Same thing at 1:10. Both are on director's cut. I'm using the last of the Sony mega changers. ES. Bummer. A Sony player won't play a Sony disc with the latest firmware.
GHafer is offline  
post #131 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Emaych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Spot on. I never considered the Verhoven version anything but a lame attempt to follow up on his Robocop success. This is a superior film in every way, but yeah that may not means much indeed.
Yeah, I don't know about the first one -- loved it at the time, and can't even recall the number of times I might have watched it, but don't really find myself inclined to go back to it -- I'm quite sure it cannot begin to compete with this latest one on the basis of presentation and mind-blowing home theater awesomeness. The latest one is very slick, impressive entertainment. I was enthralled from the opening moments, blown away by the ambition and execution -- so much so that I would keep this, in spite of the fact that it has those dropouts in it. If I want to, I can get a track out of it that doesn't have the dropouts -- not going to disconnect my processor and move it to my computer room, or whatever else I might have to do to get the update. The player is as up to date as can be by wi-fi, and still the dropouts are there, so it is something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

As for the drop outs, when do you people will understand that you're part of a never ending beta test of Hollywood's greed? They even put a screen memo front of most films about that prompting you to "update" your firmware when available. They constantly messing with the BD standards in the name of copy rights, which forces the player MFR's to react, to come up with the update, which shouldn't be needed in the first place if the studios would keep their hands to themselves. There are some legitimate updates no doubt but most related to this practice, and it's shameful, but since most of you dances to their tune , it's unlikely it will stop anytime soon.
This is not about Hollywood greed in my mind at all. If you want to say so, "Hollywood" in this instance, has given us a spectacular entertainment -- everything I want for my money, and this is money I gladly, gladly WANT to pay for it -- can't think of another way to spend a little that gives so much enjoyment, especially since the really big spending is out of the way ($30K pair of mains for example). The problem here, if this is indeed resulting out of some copy-protection scheme, is that some consumers, even on a global scale, are greedy -- ripping off one of our biggest international industries, sometimes for their own profit. So if anything, I guess I am dancing to the tune of the thieves, yet still I want to get my money to "Hollywood" to help ensure that films such as this continue to get made -- otherwise my life will be much less rich.

Don't really have a solution here, except that if we were given films no one wanted see, no one would care to protect them, so I guess I want to continue to see them and hopefully they will perfect the protection part and eliminate the glitchy watchability aspect.
Emaych is offline  
post #132 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 16,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

That's hilarious if that's true, about the use of a flashlight to get those flares on camera?
I had thought they were just edited in somehow.

In view of the fact that most of what you see on screen is CG, it's pretty safe to assume the flares are CG also.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #133 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Yeah, I don't know about the first one -- loved it at the time, and can't even recall the number of times I might have watched it, but don't really find myself inclined to go back to it -- I'm quite sure it cannot begin to compete with this latest one on the basis of presentation and mind-blowing home theater awesomeness. The latest one is very slick, impressive entertainment. I was enthralled from the opening moments, blown away by the ambition and execution -- so much so that I would keep this, in spite of the fact that it has those dropouts in it. If I want to, I can get a track out of it that doesn't have the dropouts -- not going to disconnect my processor and move it to my computer room, or whatever else I might have to do to get the update. The player is as up to date as can be by wi-fi, and still the dropouts are there, so it is something else.
This is not about Hollywood greed in my mind at all. If you want to say so, "Hollywood" in this instance, has given us a spectacular entertainment -- everything I want for my money, and this is money I gladly, gladly WANT to pay for it -- can't think of another way to spend a little that gives so much enjoyment, especially since the really big spending is out of the way ($30K pair of mains for example). The problem here, if this is indeed resulting out of some copy-protection scheme, is that some consumers, even on a global scale, are greedy -- ripping off one of our biggest international industries, sometimes for their own profit. So if anything, I guess I am dancing to the tune of the thieves, yet still I want to get my money to "Hollywood" to help ensure that films such as this continue to get made -- otherwise my life will be much less rich.
Don't really have a solution here, except that if we were given films no one wanted see, no one would care to protect them, so I guess I want to continue to see them and hopefully they will perfect the protection part and eliminate the glitchy watchability aspect.

That's just it, they continue to "perfect" it which is why all the required updates, that themselves could create more issues. this is a never ending cycle. The end game is simple: they try to herd the consumer to give up physical media all together and embrace streaming which they can control much better at far less cost, yet even better profit. I'm not against profit, I am for it, and I also support of their need of IP protection, but there are ways to deal with that over holding the large majority of consumer hostage for it. If you feel like to be a willing pawn in that, by all means.............

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #134 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

In view of the fact that most of what you see on screen is CG, it's pretty safe to assume the flares are CG also.
Abrams said he used a flashlight "spotlight". It wasn't CG.
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #135 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Emaych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,502
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

That's just it, they continue to "perfect" it which is why all the required updates, that themselves could create more issues. this is a never ending cycle. The end game is simple: they try to herd the consumer to give up physical media all together and embrace streaming which they can control much better at far less cost, yet even better profit. I'm not against profit, I am for it, and I also support of their need of IP protection, but there are ways to deal with that over holding the large majority of consumer hostage for it. If you feel like to be a willing pawn in that, by all means.............
No doubt I am a very willing pawn, so to speak. I anxiously await the entertainments studios are producing these days -- love to get sucked into a movie, love that it rewards me just for sitting out here ready to take advantage of their offerings.

Personally I don't like the idea of streaming or any other scheme whereby I don't own the physical media. I don't want any record made whatsoever of when and where I watch anything, nor do I want to sign up or in to anything, so I don't do ULTRAVIOLET copies or iTunes, or anything of that kind. Also streaming never worked for me -- my sound system/home theater is based on blu-ray -- that is where everything centers for my awesome theater experience. If they figure out a way I can't watch that way, then I guess I just live with the films I have now -- the streaming experience does provide me with what I want anyway.

If there is a way to provide an avid and willing pawn such as myself with content, I have to believe they will find it. Even with the dropouts here in this presentation of TOTAL RECALL, I am getting a theater experience many factors of improvement beyond what I got with DVD and laser discs before that AND BEFORE THAT: EXACTLY NOTHING you could watch at home, except on a blurry black and white set when the broadcasters let you! So I'm appreciative, and will get the replacement disc of TR if they issue one. If I can't turn this "defective" one back in, to be honest, I'll probably give it away and get the replacement anyway, so to Hollywood I say, you have a willing consumer partner here, please don't abuse me, and we both get what we want.....
Emaych is offline  
post #136 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
SmokenAshes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 775
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Spot on. I never considered the Verhoven version anything but a lame attempt to follow up on his Robocop success. This is a superior film in every way, but yeah that may not means much indeed.
As for the drop outs, when do you people will understand that you're part of a never ending beta test of Hollywood's greed? They even put a screen memo front of most films about that prompting you to "update" your firmware when available. They constantly messing with the BD standards in the name of copy rights, which forces the player MFR's to react, to come up with the update, which shouldn't be needed in the first place if the studios would keep their hands to themselves. There are some legitimate updates no doubt but most related to this practice, and it's shameful, but since most of you dances to their tune , it's unlikely it will stop anytime soon.

Everything is a conspiracy huh?
SmokenAshes is offline  
post #137 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Member
 
Del Cosmos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The sound drop outs happen if "discs" are not used. IE: Backing up the Bluray and streaming it.
Del Cosmos is offline  
post #138 of 243 Old 01-02-2013, 07:20 PM
Member
 
whitespark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My Sony BDP S550, with firmware 024 stopped twice in the movie.I unplugged the player and let it reboot ,I started the movie where it prompts you to play movie from where it last finished , ( twice.) i finally got through the movie.

I since have had two other Movies do the same so I spoke to Sony Australia and their sending me out a new firmware update 026 that they hope will fix the problem.

Region A BDPS550 owners have the 026 available but region B havn't to date . I probably will be the first in OZ and hopefully will solve these annoying problems.
whitespark is offline  
post #139 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Everything is a conspiracy huh?
Not really, it's common sense . The studios still call this format "new" after 5+ years on the market, and tell you that you need to upgrade to view something that had been established by the BD forum even longer then that. At the dawn of the format there were some legitimate reason for upgrades, but we are way beyond that, now.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #140 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

No doubt I am a very willing pawn, so to speak. I anxiously await the entertainments studios are producing these days -- love to get sucked into a movie, love that it rewards me just for sitting out here ready to take advantage of their offerings.
Personally I don't like the idea of streaming or any other scheme whereby I don't own the physical media. I don't want any record made whatsoever of when and where I watch anything, nor do I want to sign up or in to anything, so I don't do ULTRAVIOLET copies or iTunes, or anything of that kind. Also streaming never worked for me -- my sound system/home theater is based on blu-ray -- that is where everything centers for my awesome theater experience. If they figure out a way I can't watch that way, then I guess I just live with the films I have now -- the streaming experience does provide me with what I want anyway.
If there is a way to provide an avid and willing pawn such as myself with content, I have to believe they will find it. Even with the dropouts here in this presentation of TOTAL RECALL, I am getting a theater experience many factors of improvement beyond what I got with DVD and laser discs before that AND BEFORE THAT: EXACTLY NOTHING you could watch at home, except on a blurry black and white set when the broadcasters let you! So I'm appreciative, and will get the replacement disc of TR if they issue one. If I can't turn this "defective" one back in, to be honest, I'll probably give it away and get the replacement anyway, so to Hollywood I say, you have a willing consumer partner here, please don't abuse me, and we both get what we want.....
Well it's your choice, personally I skip known "trouble" titles like this, especially since it didn't warrant a purchase after I saw this on AIV. I do agree the current state of streaming isn't where I would call it comparable to BD, and I certainly don't advocate for the physical format to disappear, as I sad I'm no pawn for the studios. wink.gif

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #141 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
thehun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Wine country CA
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Cosmos View Post

The sound drop outs happen if "discs" are not used. IE: Backing up the Bluray and streaming it.

Garbage in garbage out.

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
thehun is offline  
post #142 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 07:10 AM
Senior Member
 
Helmutz88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Saw the review here and went and bought it...thanks Ralph !! I don't post much cuz i haven't bought many movies lately....Total Recall was killer from start to finish. Kate is simply to hot and to good, she was amazing in this movie....i thought the picture was excellent, the audio was pretty good but not monsterous.....my only complaint is it was done in Dolby and not DTS....
I had no issues with the sound or stoppage and have watched it 3 times since boxing day smile.gif))...It wasn't Tron or Incredible Hulk loud sound, but this movie is no slouch in the audio department. I totally agree on the +90 rating....

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

Helmutz88 is offline  
post #143 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer
 
Ralph Potts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Middletown NY
Posts: 9,149
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmutz88 View Post

Saw the review here and went and bought it...thanks Ralph !! I don't post much cuz i haven't bought many movies lately....Total Recall was killer from start to finish. Kate is simply to hot and to good, she was amazing in this movie....i thought the picture was excellent, the audio was pretty good but not monsterous.....my only complaint is it was done in Dolby and not DTS....
I had no issues with the sound or stoppage and have watched it 3 times since boxing day smile.gif))...It wasn't Tron or Incredible Hulk loud sound, but this movie is no slouch in the audio department. I totally agree on the +90 rating....

Greetings,

You're more than welcome and thanks for chiming in with your thoughts. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ralph Potts is online now  
post #144 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
detroit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
How can someone complain that Total Recall was in Dolby and not DTS; it was Dolby TrueHD, uncompressed sound. You would not hear any difference

the blu-ray has audio problems with drop outs but the actual sound quality is very good when it is working
detroit1 is offline  
post #145 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Kamikaze13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post

How can someone complain that Total Recall was in Dolby and not DTS; it was Dolby TrueHD, uncompressed sound. You would not hear any difference
the blu-ray has audio problems with drop outs but the actual sound quality is very good when it is working

Maybe they only saw the dvd version?

JVC DLA-RS57U Projector - 106" Grandview fixed frame screen
Onkyo TX-NR3009 Receiver
Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray Player - PS3
Paradigm Monitor 11 Mains
Paradigm Monitor CC-390 Center
Paradigm Monitor ADP-390 Surrounds x 4
Velodyne DPS-12 Subwoofer
Kamikaze13 is offline  
post #146 of 243 Old 01-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Helmutz88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Dts is generally recorded hot.

Def Tech BP 2000's

Def Tech BPVX Surrounds

Polk Monitor 70's Wired Together Center Channel

Dual Elemental Design A5-350 Subs

Epson 2030 Projector

Screen Goo Self 120 Inch Screen

Sony Blu Ray

Carver Sunfire TGIII Receiver

Helmutz88 is offline  
post #147 of 243 Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 17,783
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmalczewski View Post

I have two players, Panasonic BD-35 and Oppo 93, both of which do the lossless decoding to PCM for my system (so no bitstreaming).

Panny is my goto Region A player, it started acting up (audio dropout or two, an apparent increased framerate, along with some video stuttering (from recollection)) around 43 minutes in, while playing the extended cut. I went back and replayed that bad section, and the same approximate behavior repeated itself, so switched players.

Started it on the Oppo from about 40 minutes in, and it was smooth sailing. (Again, PCM is my only option.)

I thought Dolby TrueHD was supposed to be bulletproof. (Just kidding.) Anyway, I suspect some firmware updates will be coming out shortly, but mostly just a guess.

Edit: And, my workhorse Panny seems to be the only player mentioned so far that has issues while decoding audio to PCM. (The receiver is a Denon 5805mk2, which is HDMI 1.1.)

 

I have the same two players. Total Recall 2012, Extended Cut, has serious audio dropouts when played on my Oppo 93 (about a year old) but plays perfectly on my Panasonic BD-35 (almost 5 years old). This is via Bitstream in both cases - and both players are on the latest firmware. Both players play the disc properly if set to decode to PCM internally.

 

As an aside, I can't ever recall the BD-35 refusing to play ANY disc I have asked it to - unlike all of the other BD players I have had or used, which seem to have all manner of issues from time to time.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #148 of 243 Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Reddig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hays, KS
Posts: 1,631
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 161
My copy suffers from numerous audio dropouts thru out the film in Dolby TrueHD bitstreamed frm my PS3 Slim to my NR-809 avr. Always at different spots each time too.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reddig is offline  
post #149 of 243 Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
den110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just finished watching a Netflix rental of the movie. Numerous audio drop outs throughout the movie, at least 15. Bitstreaming audio from Panny BDT220 to Yamaha RXV1800 receiver. Also froze at about 34 minutes into film. Had to unplug the player. Great video and audio (when it wasn't dropping out). Firmware latest on the Panny. I would like to buy the movie, but might wait until a firmware fix or reissue of the movie. Never had this problem in the hundreds of blu ray movies I have watched and own. frown.gif

"It's time to nut up or shut up."
den110 is offline  
post #150 of 243 Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Senior Member
 
jamawass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just finished watching this via Netflix BR rental. No dropouts whatsoever on my htpc with TMT5 , Radeon 6570 bitstreamed to Onkyo 608 with 7.1.
Dolby True HD was awesome had my volume at 55 throughout, DTS-HDMA is usually at 65. Surprised this format isn't used more often. Great movie, far exceeded my expectations differentiated enough from the original but paid it homage to make it thoroughly enjoyable. My only regret is that I didn't buy it.
jamawass is offline  
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Total Recall Mind Bending Edition Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Total by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off