Resident Evil: Retribution 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkVenture View Post

This movie is visual eye candy only. Attractive women with guns and various high tech gadgets. It's visually stunning and the sound track is extremely good as well.
Beyond that, forget about it. That dialogue is mostly just a series of grunts. The villains are boring, unintelligent, and most of them are wearing masks. And yeah, once you see the exact same masked character getting shot 500 times it starts to get a little repetitive. I also tire of automatic weapons that can spray an unlimited number of bullets without ever needing to be reloaded. According to this movie, World War 2 could have been fought entirely with just one spare magazine in a soldier's boot.
For visual appeal, action, sound track and sound effects, I would give it 9 / 10. For everything else that makes a film desirable, like plot, characters, storytelling, realism, meaning, I would give it 1 / 10. The only things that were 3 dimensional in this movie were the cameras filming it.

I think it possibly useful just here to reassert that this is a RESIDENT EVIL movie. There might not be a very sound scientific foundation for the notion that folks can remain animate and ambulatory whilst dead for many months sans sustenance, or presumably without retaining any of the ongoing functions associated with living creatures.

That said, it is as deep as you want to make it. There are themes of what constitutes life or death, the nature of having individual identity, how much of our day to day reality might be illusory, etc. I think tantalizing themes such as these are what resonate so strongly with humans through vampire and zombie genres, and why these genres show such dominance through our cultures.

Does this movie explore any of those issues in an attempt to be deep, or answer all the mysteries of life? My personal impression would be that it does not, but just as with any phase or aspect of living one's own life, you can breath depth into it, or wander blithely through it, never bothering to ponder the implications.

In any event, as to the reloading guns issue -- things such as that I tend to deal with by asking if it is useful or desirable to me to have every mechanic of implementation shown to me -- in a WWll movie, I don't really need to see ammunition being made in a factory and then follow the shipment to know it got to the front -- that would not necessarily be the focus or intent -- if you are dealing with the spraying of gunfire, that is what you'll likely see depicted. That is what we get here. Often in a WWII movie you never see any reloading either, or even any reference to limitations of ammunition -- obviously wasn't the focus, I would then surmise.

I think "thinker flicks" do have their place. My life has never been utterly altered from the ground up from having seen one, so do they ultimately carry any more weight than a "purely superficial" entertainment? Maybe you think about them more, maybe you feel something a little deeper. Movies of that type I mostly won't put on my home theater set-up, since often there proves to be no compelling reason to do so -- I can watch for what they offer on my regular TV and pretty much derive the full force of them.

For that matter, one might read a book -- probably a great deal more to think about there, even just from spending more time with it. I like movies for what they can uniquely offer -- entertainment which fuses music, sound effects, action visuals, etc. -- one might even offer up that plot, character development, etc., distracts from and dilutes or corrupts the sensory stimulation. Art movements have been predicated on the premise that storytelling, even figurative representation, is not the proper function of the visual medium. It is purely a matter of perspective.

So do I really think these filmmakers intended to make a much deeper movie but failed? No, I think they pretty much perfected what they have been shooting for, which one might claim is what pure filmmaking cinematic presentation ought to be. I personally was enriched by their efforts, though if I wanted to get mired in philosophy, I might be inclined to read a thick book.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Well, opinions differ. I would rank this as close to the top, if not the absolute best. I think you have to give props to the first just because it propelled all of what was to come, and was a delightful surprise at the time, and did feature the younger Jovovich, etc. But when it comes to drinking in the glory of home theater, this is your reference must NOT have..
Fixed it. wink.gif

sent via Morse code...........

The Hun
post #33 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Lol. Like I said. It sounded great. There are a few demo worthy scenes. The story and acting are just laughable though. I mean really really bad.

Kaboom.
post #34 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post

Fixed it. wink.gif
So you "fixed" my "reference must-have" to NOT, meaning this is not a reference disc, or that it is a reference that you will not own, or possibly "not reference/will not own"? I don't know, certainly hard to argue this is not reference level AV performance, even within the very limited confines of the series. This tops out any look or sound quality I've seen in any of the foregoing.

Or...are you conceivably promoting a concept such as thematic high-mindedness might make for a better reference cinematic experience? Rather show off your system with a CITIZEN KANE for example? If that is the case, I guess it just reinforces my joy at the type of home theater I have....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Lol. Like I said. It sounded great. There are a few demo worthy scenes. The story and acting are just laughable though. I mean really really bad.
I think that might be accurate enough with regard to laughable story -- it is intended it should be viewed through the prism of pure amusement -- just listen to the commentary. On the other hand, you could say it is every bit as deep as CITIZEN KANE, just depends how much thinking you are inclined to invest in it. Take that example of weapons that don't seem to require reloading -- a metaphor for talents or capabilities which fall into our hands, through no means we ourselves have endeavored to obtain, which eases our navigation through a hostile world?

The point is that this film, as with any other, can be viewed as a social document, inevitably and invariably reflecting a vast wealth of information about our culture and humanity at this stage of evolution -- as much as LINCOLN, or any other effort. Both films might either be challenged for promoting the "wrong" message, or alternately, of course, exalted for what they offer.

As to the acting, I almost always find Jovovich in particular, compelling, but will say the evil corporation head, doing his best Hugo Weaving from MATRIX, does impress me as something of a cutout, but it is fine...not necessarily supposed to take it that seriously I think (though you could, if that is where your mind wants to drift...)
post #35 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Jovovich can do no wrong. The only reason I own the blu ray wink.gif

Kaboom.
post #36 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Jovovich can do no wrong. The only reason I own the blu ray wink.gif
Well, there you go -- she looks great, is a creditable, credible actress AND the fact that her presence justifies a purchase just goes to show that everyone can find their own meaning for this film and investment in it, either as something to own, investment intellectually or in any other way. Films represent an infinite number of things to those that see them, nothing says they have to fit a certain criteria to qualify as "valid", and for that matter, no criteria makes appreciation necessarily more valid than another basis for appraisal.
post #37 of 46 Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Well said.

Kaboom.
post #38 of 46 Old 01-10-2013, 03:58 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Picked this up today looking forward in watching this in the next few nights. Thanks again for the review Ralph. smile.gif

Frank
post #39 of 46 Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Watched a 2d rental version a few nights ago and enjoyed it. I have enjoyed all these movies to one degree or another as they serve the purpose when you want some good brainless escapism that drives your HT hard! cool.gif I would rank this one mid pack somewhere as it was not the best or worst in the series.

The A/V was fantastic I thought! The surround work in particular was some of the best I have heard on blu ray as I cant think of too many other tracks where the surrounds are this aggressive. Right from the opening moments we get a helicopter (is that right?) panning around the back of the room which is just a taste of things to come. Exceptional surround work though in this one IMO.

Really looking forward to checking out the 3d version now when I can find a used copy or get it on sale at some point.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #40 of 46 Old 01-10-2013, 09:58 AM
CIH USER

Thanks for that Todd I'm hoping to watch it tomorrow night

Frank
post #41 of 46 Old 01-11-2013, 10:18 AM
CIH USER

Just finished watching it, the helicopter bit in the beginning was quite good, tests out your surround. Nice tight low LFE to keep things pumping. Aq was very good.

Movie itself was ok better than 3rd I actually was more impressed with the very end. I think I'd rather see that made into a film, I guess it will be the last one.

Frank
post #42 of 46 Old 01-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Frank, did you see Afterlife? How would you rank this one against that?

It's just that I thoroughly enjoy Afterlife, but it is primarily due to very well executed, fun 3D. I enjoy the ride, so to speak, and I wouldn't watch it 2D because I feel it would lack too much without the added dimension. I know you aren't pro-3D, Frank, but feel we more-or-less are on the same page movie-wise, so from the 2D view, what's your take?

And to those who ARE pro-3D, I pose the same question: how is RE:5 vs. RE:4 in 3D?

Thanks in advance... cool.gif
post #43 of 46 Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Frank, did you see Afterlife? How would you rank this one against that?

It's just that I thoroughly enjoy Afterlife, but it is primarily due to very well executed, fun 3D. I enjoy the ride, so to speak, and I wouldn't watch it 2D because I feel it would lack too much without the added dimension. I know you aren't pro-3D, Frank, but feel we more-or-less are on the same page movie-wise, so from the 2D view, what's your take?

And to those who ARE pro-3D, I pose the same question: how is RE:5 vs. RE:4 in 3D?

Thanks in advance... cool.gif

To be honest, story wise quite similar meaning not much there. Its just good fun to watch. Aq was awesome and PQ very good. There were some scenes I thought might be impressive on 3D but I will let you guys be the judge of that smile.gif

Frank
post #44 of 46 Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks for your input, Frank!
post #45 of 46 Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

This smells like a troll post more then anything, yes what happen was tragic but you know what Im not going to stop my life because of it, its a movie.... why dont you call all the TV networks and tell them to stop showing violent shows and for the movie theaters to have not shown The Hobbit and so forth because you feel nothing of the such apparently should be going on because of what happen... ~_~ again yes its sad but it shouldnt let it stop people from living their life and moving on.

AGREED!
post #46 of 46 Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks for the 3D review, Ralph! cool.gif

Just watched the 2D version of this for the first time tonight and thought the audio and video were darned good, and do agree with your scoring of them. I plan to watch it again, but in 3D, hopefully this coming weekend. Sure, the story is lacking and quite unbelievable, but Milla is still looking fantastic, and I found this blu-ray to be fun and very worthy of having one's private collection if you are a fan of the previous Resident Evil films.

Looking forward to the next movie in the series, now...

oz
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Resident Evil Retribution 3d Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page